State Semi Finals

The teams in Class A

Re: State Semi Finals

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:54 am

This state championship game is the reason I hate the playoff's the way they are. Langdon should have been playing Velva and it should have been Langdon and Kindred in the Dome. That would have been a great game. DT is a good team but they might have finished 4th in Region 1 behind Oakes.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:20 am

maddog1971 wrote:This state championship game is the reason I hate the playoff's the way they are. Langdon should have been playing Velva and it should have been Langdon and Kindred in the Dome. That would have been a great game. DT is a good team but they might have finished 4th in Region 1 behind Oakes.

Coaches seeded the teams the way they were. The QRF didn’t come into play
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Nala1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:22 pm

maddog1971 wrote:This state championship game is the reason I hate the playoff's the way they are. Langdon should have been playing Velva and it should have been Langdon and Kindred in the Dome. That would have been a great game. DT is a good team but they might have finished 4th in Region 1 behind Oakes.

I would have to agree with maddog, Kindred or Langdon win that championship game 10 out of 10 times.
Nala1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:56 pm

WalkingStick wrote:

Coaches seeded the teams the way they were. The QRF didn’t come into play

Plus if we were still in the old system this is how it would have played out again: East vs. West

I don't disagree that Langdon was better than DT or Velva but the bracket setup systems that are in place, coaches or formula, the brackets would have ended up either way. In my opinion, the QRF is pointless to use as most of the games are in-region games...the QRF helps more in MN because the games are setup by district areas and not necessarily sections.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:59 pm

Dont' get me wrong DT is a very good team but they did not have the size and they were not ready for the physical play. They did a great job up front for about the first quarter but them Kindreds line took over and started making holes.
Teams need to challenge themselves and if they need to travel then travel. The only really good team that Kindred did not play this year was Velva. My hope is Kindred and Velva will schedule an early game next year to test their teams. My guess is beginning next year Kindred will be one and Velva 2.
Kindred only played 4 seniors and they will lose Sunram but Kindred will be loaded up for next year.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:38 pm

I don't disagree with next year being 1) Kindred and 2) Velva. Both teams pretty much return everyone outside of a couple linemen. I'd argue Velva returns the best group of skill players in any division. Kindred returns the top overall athletes. 2025 Class A football is going to be where it's at.

I DISAGREE that the playoff bracket failed this year. The best team won. Even with the outcome of the "A" game, I still believe there was more parity with those final four teams that what met the eye. Trinity played a perfect game against Velva. No penalties, no turnovers, short field position on all their scoring drives in the first half. They were a different team on Friday. Kindred had a lot to do with it, but Trinity was uncharacteristic in a lot of ways.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:53 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Dont' get me wrong DT is a very good team but they did not have the size and they were not ready for the physical play. They did a great job up front for about the first quarter but them Kindreds line took over and started making holes.
Teams need to challenge themselves and if they need to travel then travel. The only really good team that Kindred did not play this year was Velva. My hope is Kindred and Velva will schedule an early game next year to test their teams. My guess is beginning next year Kindred will be one and Velva 2.
Kindred only played 4 seniors and they will lose Sunram but Kindred will be loaded up for next year.

How do you suppose teams get out and 'travel'? The region setups for all 4 regions don't allow for a lot of non-region action with such large regions. Kindred had one non-region matchup because the region was supposed to have 9 teams in it (ended up with 8 because OG bailed late which screwed R1 teams from finding fill-in games with R2). R3 & R4 play non-region first two weeks and then it's all region games since they have 8 teams in their regions. There isn't much chance for teams to 'travel' to get non-region games.

R1 & R2 are stuck playing 1 non-region game vs on another and R3 & R4 are stuck playing 2 non-region games against one another.
Dickinson Trinity played Des Lacs-Burlington & Bishop Ryan...two playoff teams in their non-region games...they traveled the best they could; Velva already had Hazen & Beulah on their non-region schedules

Was Cavalier enough of a challenge for Kindred?

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:29 pm

I think teams are waiting to see who the alignment shakes out for next season. Region 3 (my backyard) will be losing two teams to 9-man. Surrey supposed to be replacing one of them, but I see they are petitioning the NDHSAA at the next meeting. They can't exactly pluck Harvey/Rugby/Botno from Region 2 without putting that conference in a spot.

There might be some interesting opportunities to schedule non-conference games when it all shakes out.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:52 pm

Class B wrote:I think teams are waiting to see who the alignment shakes out for next season. Region 3 (my backyard) will be losing two teams to 9-man. Surrey supposed to be replacing one of them, but I see they are petitioning the NDHSAA at the next meeting. They can't exactly pluck Harvey/Rugby/Botno from Region 2 without putting that conference in a spot.

There might be some interesting opportunities to schedule non-conference games when it all shakes out.

I've heard that there are several 11-man A teams petitioning down to 9-man because of numbers/safety concerns. The day of that board meeting will be very interesting to hear and see who gets to move down.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:25 pm

Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:05 am

R1 & R2 are stuck playing 1 non-region game vs on another and R3 & R4 are stuck playing 2 non-region games against one another.
Dickinson Trinity played Des Lacs-Burlington & Bishop Ryan...two playoff teams in their non-region games...they traveled the best they could; Velva already had Hazen & Beulah on their non-region schedules

Was Cavalier enough of a challenge for Kindred?[/quote]

The answer is that Cavalier was not enough of a test but They were a playoff team so they were a competitive team. Kindred had a region with some really quality teams in it. I would argue that they had 4 of the top 8 teams in the state playing in the region and 3 of them in the top 5.
It is to bad that schools are not getting enough kids to play any more because of the excuse of they are afraid of getting hurt. Kids are to lazy and will not put in the work because adults are sitting at home telling the kids that everything is unfair.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bingobangobongo » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:13 pm

Anyone know when the decisions on these petitions will be made public?
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:55 pm

bingobangobongo wrote:

Well with them not acting on them until after 3:30...maybe tonight; will any news stations pick up the decisions? Anyone with access to those making the petitions will probably know something

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:12 pm

I also just read an article about the game from the Dickinson paper. From what their coach said and the news paper... Kindred was just lucky to come out with the win.

"Trinity tripped up by a dozen difficulties in Class A State Final loss to Kindred"
"You know, it's just one of those games where everything that kind of could go wrong, went wrong,” Trinity head football coach John Odermann said. “You had the turnovers early: You had the pick-6 early; you had the balls that just went off the fingertips; those types of things were big turning-points in the game and there was a lot of those.”

Coach you at 126 yards of offense and most of that was in the first quarter and the last drive where Kindred had in sub's. Kindred had the ball for 34 Minutes and you had it for 14.

Coach of the year should have said something like... "Kindred played really well tonight and my hats go off to that program. Things did not go our way today so the better team won today. Our Team battled until the end, never giving up and getting on the board late. I am very proud of our boys and the year we had. Congratulations to the Vikings.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:32 pm

Maybe he did say something positive about Kindred but it didn't make the paper...but nothing he said wasn't untrue...from their standpoint those turnovers and tipped balls were turning points. I'm not sure about others but when I read that statement...nothing jumps out to me that Kindred 'got lucky'.

But that's fine...instead of celebrating your Kindred victory...keep going out of your way to rag on other people; it's your MO

Hats off to Kindred on their victory...good kids & good coaches but sometimes comments like these are huge turn offs to cheer for a team.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UncleRico » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:52 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
bingobangobongo wrote:

Well with them not acting on them until after 3:30...maybe tonight; will any news stations pick up the decisions? Anyone with access to those making the petitions will probably know something

Take it for what its worth....I was told Cavalier is moving down by 7-2 vote. I was also told Northern Cass petitioned down and didn't get a single vote. Also, was told that Turtle Mountain and Standing Rock got what they wanted (I'm assuming they petitioned down?). Dont shoot the messenger, I wasnt there.
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:20 pm

Cavalier back to 9-Man
Standing Rock to 9-Man
TMCHS to Class A

Fargo North will have to be AAA next year
Williston stays in AAA
Wahpeton & Watford City will stay in AA

Northern Cass stays in Class A
OG back to independent football or cooping.
Surrey/Sawyer moves up to Class A

Heart River will likely drop the coop and go as Belfield & South Heart for 9-man (if it's feasible; when they can)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:35 pm

Cavalier out and TMCHS in offsets each other for Region 2

Surrey in Region 3, but still leaves them at 7. Harvey coming over? Leaves each team with 3 non-conference games if not. I’d personally been fine with Watford coming to Region 3.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:14 pm

Class B wrote:Cavalier out and TMCHS in offsets each other for Region 2

Surrey in Region 3, but still leaves them at 7. Harvey coming over? Leaves each team with 3 non-conference games if not. I’d personally been fine with Watford coming to Region 3.

Region 1 has 8 teams (CC, K, NC, Lisbon, HCV, EEK, Thompson, Oakes)
Region 2 has 7 teams (PRFL, Bottineau, Grafton, Carrington, Rugby, H-WC, Langdon)
Region 3 has 7 teams (Velva, DL-B, R-PL, Stanley, Surrey, Bishop Ryan, Nedrose)
Region 4 has 8 teams (Beulah, Heart River, S. McLean, Killdeer, Shiloh, Bowman, DT, Hazen)

Either way TMCHS gets placed will leave one region smaller than the rest

Side Note: Shanley has less male students than Central Cass...and equal to Kindred but plays up in AAA; pretty impressive

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:40 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Cavalier back to 9-Man
Standing Rock to 9-Man
TMCHS to Class A

Williston stays in AAA

Heart River will likely drop the coop and go as Belfield & South Heart for 9-man (if it's feasible; when they can)

The Cavalier decision surprises me. NDHSAA puts in a playoff point system and the first team that they force to move up is allowed to move down after a single season....one where they were a playoff team even. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with moving up a team that is solidly in 9man by enrollment based on their run of success. I feel the playoff point system should only apply for teams that have opted down a division or are in the top 10% of enrollment in a division. Still, this decision is perplexing.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:47 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Cavalier back to 9-Man
Standing Rock to 9-Man
TMCHS to Class A

Williston stays in AAA

The Cavalier decision surprises me. NDHSAA puts in a playoff point system and the first team that they force to move up is allowed to move down after a single season....one where they were a playoff team even. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with moving up a team that is solidly in 9man by enrollment based on their run of success. I feel the playoff point system should only apply for teams that have opted down a division or are in the top 10% of enrollment in a division. Still, this decision is perplexing.

Technically wasn't the first team as St. Mary's had to go first...but now they get to move back down after 2 years in AAA; However, I was totally shocked they allowed Cavalier back down after one year when St. Mary's had to endure 2 years; maybe there is a major numbers issue coming in the near future.

I believe by 2025...Central Cass will be up in AA because they'll have a school enrollment over 325 and be deemed a 'Class A' school (barring petitioning down and winning the petition).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:22 am

Class B wrote:Cavalier out and TMCHS in offsets each other for Region 2

So Turtle Mtn gets to go West in BB and East in FB, that sure worked out great for them!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:39 am

I don't think Regional alignment has been determined with this in mind. This was just a committee vote and the NDHSAA Board has to stamp it. I only assumed the TMCHS would be going east. If they had to ship a team west there are more "western" options such as Rugby, Harvey and Bottineau. I doubt it would be Bottineau though, because it gives them and TMCHS a short road trip for a conference game. Rugby would stay probably for that reason too.

Of course, I said all this thinking Region 2 originally had 9 teams, not 8. Now they were down to 7... so they probably won't move any teams west.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:09 am

Class B wrote:I don't think Regional alignment has been determined with this in mind. This was just a committee vote and the NDHSAA Board has to stamp it. I only assumed the TMCHS would be going east. If they had to ship a team west there are more "western" options such as Rugby, Harvey and Bottineau. I doubt it would be Bottineau though, because it gives them and TMCHS a short road trip for a conference game. Rugby would stay probably for that reason too.

Of course, I said all this thinking Region 2 originally had 9 teams, not 8. Now they were down to 7... so they probably won't move any teams west.

I am assuming you are correct, I was just being a smarta$$!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:06 pm

Region Alignment gets figured out today I believe.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to A