Quarterfinas- What to Watch

The teams in Class A

Quarterfinas- What to Watch

Postby ChickenNuggets » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:48 pm

[b]Shiloh Christian (9-1) vs. #1 Velva-Drake-Anamoose-Garrison (10-0) [/b]
I think that this game has the potential to be a very good one. I know I have said it and I have read others commenting about it as well. How tested is this Velva team? They had a slow start last week against Bowman County, but finished very strong winning 52-20. Shiloh found themselves down 14-7 at halftime but scored 3 unanswered TD's in the 2nd half to win 28-14 over the Lions. I do think that this will be the best team Velva has seen this year, but I also think that the Aggies will play a physical style of football that will give them the edge in a cold and sloppy game. I'll take the Aggies to win by a couple TD's in this one.

Killdeer (8-2) @ #4 Dickinson Trinity (10-0)
Trinity won the regular season matchup 33-22. That was by far their closest game of the season. Killdeer has played a lot of close games. I think Killdeer is capable of stepping up to the occasion, but I also think that Trinity has been more steady all season long. It will be a cold game, but the field should be fine with Turf. Killdeer is going to have to get very physical to have a chance in this one. I think Trinity is just the better team. I'll take the Titans to win by around 16 points.

Oakes (7-2) @ Kindred (10-0)

These two met up about a month ago, ending in a 21-0 win for Kindred. The biggest question right now, it seems, is Kindred's health with a depleted RB corps, a banged up QB, and questionable health for their D1 Lineman. Will the banged up Vikings have enough to get through this one? I think they probably do. even with players out, they still have a deep roster and a lot of talent. It certainly could be closer than the last time, however. Give me the Vikings by 10 or less in this one.

Central Cass (8-1) @ #3 Langdon (10-0)
This is the game of the week as far as I am concerned. I know it's the #3 seed vs. a non-region champion, but at this point in the season, based on everything I have seen all year long, I would ranked them #1 and #1B. These are two very complete football teams. They both have some major playmakers on offense. They both have strong, physical linemen. I'm not sure what either team's weakness is right now. Obviously health can play a huge factor from here on out, but I'm just going to go ahead and say it now that the team that wins this game goes on to win the state championship in a couple weeks, barring any major injuries along the way. Do I have to pick a winner?... There is a difference between teams that are physical and teams that are tough. I think both of these teams are very physical teams, but in a game where it's going to be cold. It's very possibly going to be played on a sloppy field as there is currently precipitation forecast for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in Langdon, I'll take the team that is tough and gritty. I think Langdon just might be that team that is slightly ahead in that area. This is going to be a whale of a game and I won't be surprised if either team wins, but I'm predicting the Cardinals to come away with this one in a very close contest.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Quarterfinas- What to Watch

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:03 am

Impressive Central Cass stat
Gave up 21 points to Kindred in Week 1…given up 21 points since
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:25 am

Kindred scored two touchdowns against CC in the first quarter (of the season) with a very strong wind at their backs. Also, CC's best lineman, Tyler Cruchet, did not play in that game as he was still recovering from knee surgery. In fact he played only a few downs against Oakes, who CC defeated the following week 7-0. Langdon-CC looks to be a very intense game!
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:09 am

Well It looks like Region 1 showed they are a tough region. Great win by Oakes. I did not think that game would be that close. I am surprised Carrington put that many points on the board.

Kindred will be banged up but looks like with a lot of tape that they should be only missing RB2 for this weekends game. The new RB2 is a small freshman that is a130lbs but is a hard running young man. I will take Kindred 28 to 12.

Langdon and CC is a really great game. No idea who will win. I think Langdon line is good enough to handle all of CC funkie defensive line jumping around and Langdon wins this one on the ground in the weather that is coming. 28-21

The games out west will be blowouts.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:33 am

What are the boards thoughts on ranking the playoffs from the beginning 1-16 and dropping "East vs. West" as a set-up?
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:40 am

BasketballMind wrote:What are the boards thoughts on ranking the playoffs from the beginning 1-16 and dropping "East vs. West" as a set-up?

The State is so apprehensive that it probably won't happen anytime soon.

I don't think it's a bad idea but how do you determine 1-16 would be the key...I'm not sold on the QRF being used; it's not always an accurate formula for low numbers of games (better when used for basketball but still not a perfect representation).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:17 pm

BasketballMind wrote:What are the boards thoughts on ranking the playoffs from the beginning 1-16 and dropping "East vs. West" as a set-up?

I am 100% for it. It is a shame that Langdon and CC have to meet on the second weekend.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:06 am

WalkingStick wrote:

I don't think it's a bad idea but how do you determine 1-16 would be the key...I'm not sold on the QRF being used; it's not always an accurate formula for low numbers of games (better when used for basketball but still not a perfect representation).

They can do it if they want to. Question is, do they want to? I would imagine the western ND schools would vote no. I'd rather have your top 4 teams placed accordingly than stick to an "East Vs. West" format.

CC, Velva, Kindred, Langdon are the top four right? At the very least set it up so the 4 top teams in the state have an opportunity to play it out from the semis to the championship.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:41 am

BasketballMind wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

They can do it if they want to. Question is, do they want to? I would imagine the western ND schools would vote no. I'd rather have your top 4 teams placed accordingly than stick to an "East Vs. West" format.

CC, Velva, Kindred, Langdon are the top four right? At the very least set it up so the 4 top teams in the state have an opportunity to play it out from the semis to the championship.

Nothing gets done without a major push from schools (i.e. 3 class systems).

Using my ranking formula that I've dabbled with this season (similar to SD with a twist)
**while also making sure same region teams don't face in opening round.

#16 Harvey-Wells County @ #1 Velva/Garrison/Drake-Anamoose
#9 Killdeer @ #8 Des Lacs-Burlington

#13 Bishop Ryan @ #4 Langdon/Edmore/Munich
#12 Carrington @ #5 Central Cass

#15 Stanley @ #2 Kindred
#10 Lisbon @ #7 Shiloh Christian

#14 Cavalier @ #3 Dickinson Trinity
#11 Bowman County @ #6 Oakes

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:31 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

I am 100% for it. It is a shame that Langdon and CC have to meet on the second weekend.

They would have using a QRF seeing the teams 1-16 as well...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

They would have using a QRF seeing the teams 1-16 as well...

It works that way in my formula as well

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:27 pm

Velva-Drake-Anamoose-Garrison by 20+
Dickinson Trinity by 20
Kindred by 8
Langdon-Edmore-Munich by 16
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:24 pm

Velva 28-21
Trinity 30-16
Kindred 14-6
Central Cass 21-20
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:47 pm

With all this weather, how will it affect the games and who will hit hurt and who will it help.

Personally I think it will help Killdeer and give them a real shot at the win.

Langdon and CC ... should be really messy... who can hold onto the ball.... can either team throw in this weather? Who can run it well enough for the win. I will give the advantage to Langdon in the weather game.

It could help Oakes a ton if Kindred starts coughing up the ball... Special teams will be big. Kindred will run the ball and run the ball....

Velva can also run it down hill between the tackles but again... Special teams? Punts? Turnovers... you never know.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:33 pm

maddog1971 wrote:With all this weather, how will it affect the games and who will hit hurt and who will it help.

Personally I think it will help Killdeer and give them a real shot at the win.

There really was no weather in Dickinson on Saturday, other than it being cold because they played Saturday night because DSU had an afternoon game. The Dickinson State field is turf and looked perfectly cleared off when I was at the college game.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Return to A