Is Pushing the Pile in ND High School football Legal?

The teams in Class A

Is Pushing the Pile in ND High School football Legal?

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:40 pm

I know that you can not pull a runner forward but I thought it was ok in ND High School football to push the pile forward. A ref warned a team that if they kept pushing the pile the next time it would be an unsportsman like penalty. IS THAT RIGHT????
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: Is Pushing the Pile in ND High School football Legal?

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:07 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I know that you can not pull a runner forward but I thought it was ok in ND High School football to push the pile forward. A ref warned a team that if they kept pushing the pile the next time it would be an unsportsman like penalty. IS THAT RIGHT????

I read somewhere that it is a 5-yard penalty for 'assisting' the carrier. I believe it's legal (to an extent) in NCAA and NFL.

ADDED NOTE from the Rule Book

Rule 9
Conduct of Players and Others
SECTION 1: HELPING THE RUNNER
An offensive player shall not push, pull or lift the runner to assist his -forward progress.
PENALTY: Helping the runner (S44) – 5 yards
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:52 am

NFL says it's too hard to fairly regulate it, so its legal. The Eagles work it to perfection.

I'm not sure what the rule in H.S. is, but I see it often in H.S games.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:21 am

5-time state chump wrote:NFL says it's too hard to fairly regulate it, so its legal. The Eagles work it to perfection.

I'm not sure what the rule in H.S. is, but I see it often in H.S games.

It's one thing to push a defender to aid your offensive player...it's another to just be making contact with the offensive player. In a scrum of players, I'd imagine it's impossible to call it 'assisting'
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:46 pm

So if it is a group of guys and the offensive linemen are pushing the defender forward that would not be considered a penalty? I see if all the time on sneak plays where the fullback or running back with run into the back of the QB to help him along.....

So basically it is almost impossible to make that call unless it is a linemen just pushing his running back forward.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby 5-time state chump » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:50 am

maddog1971 wrote:So if it is a group of guys and the offensive linemen are pushing the defender forward that would not be considered a penalty? I see if all the time on sneak plays where the fullback or running back with run into the back of the QB to help him along.....

So basically it is almost impossible to make that call unless it is a linemen just pushing his running back forward.

Yep. I see it all the time in H.S football, but never a penalty. So, It must be difficult for refs to call it.

Like I said, from what I read, NFL says its too difficult to "fairly" officiate. But have heard some rumblings that the NFL rules committee may be looking at the NFL rule in the spring.

I guess I'm okay with how the h.s game is played as it is. Whether its a rule or not, the opportunity is there for both teams to do it. One thing I could see is injury risk. If a kid is under his own power, will go the ground before enough stress is put on his leg, etc before anything bad happens. If his cleat gets stuck or something and he has 4 guys pushing him, I suppose the risk is higher.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Dualsportfan » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:28 pm

Assisting the runner is supposed to be a point of emphasis this year in high school football. Pushing the pile is legal, but, pushing, pulling or lifting the runner is not. I have not seen it called yet. Has anyone seen it called?
Dualsportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:22 am

I have not seen it called this year... but I did see a few holding calls on D-Line diving on the ground and the offensive Lineman pushing them down and laying on them being called as holding penalties.... I really don't know the rule on that. If someone cuts your knees out what can you do beside fall on them and lay on them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Return to A