Week 6- What to Watch

The teams in Class A

Week 6- What to Watch

Postby ChickenNuggets » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:21 pm

Region 1- GAME OF THE WEEK
5-0 Oakes @ 5-0 Kindred

Someone's "0" Must go... This is definitely one of the top game in 11B this week as we have two top 5 teams colliding for sole possession of 1st place in the region. Oakes offense has been on fire scoring at least 5 TDs in 4 of their 5 games. Kindred can boast the same state and has a pair of shutouts on the defensive side of the ball to go with their offensive output. I'll take the home team and their huge line to make the difference in this game. Kindred wins 28-20

Region 2-
5-0 Thompson @ 3-2 Langdon

Thompson is 5-0, but have yet to play arguably any of the other three top teams in the region as they have games against Langdon, HCV, and Bottineau over the next four weeks. Despite not playing some of these regional powers, Thompson has won three games by 1-score margins. They have won nonetheless and remain 5-0 on the year. Langdon has lost a pair of regional games and needs a win to salvage any chance of possibly hosting a playoff game (Even a win won't guarantee that). Given Thompson's youth and Langdon's experience combined with home field advantage, I'll take the Cardinals to win a thriller- Langdon wins 24-22

Region 3-
1-4 South Prairie @ 2-2 Des Lacs/Burlilngton

On paper, there really isn't a super appealing game in Region 3 this week, but this one has the most potential to be a competitive contest and does have some possibly playoff implications to it. South Prairie would absolutely need a win to have a chance to qualify for the post season while DLB is 2-1 in the region at this point, but has games against other top teams in the region in the near future. I"ll take the favorite- DLB Wins 42-14

Region 4-
5-0 Dickinson Trinity @ 3-2 Bowman County

Trinity has been putting up eye-popping numbers and has a ton of weapons to spread the ball around to. Bowman County has been competitive and while they are coming off a 7-point loss to Shiloh, a Win here could salvage a home playoff game for the Bulldogs. In the end, I think Trinity's offense is too much and they outscore BC 48-20
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Week 6- What to Watch

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:12 am

That Oakes vs. Kindred matchup is really interesting to me. I don't think anyone projected coming into the year that it would be Oakes and Kindred for the region but that Oakes team is real deal. QB throws a good ball and stands tall in the pocket, good at the skills positions, physical at RB, and generate a lot of turnovers. My only question is how good really are they up front? Insert Kindred. Great up front, really good defensively, and can run the ball at will. My only question is if you are able to hold on long enough upfront and throw the ball on them, can they reciprocate and keep up offensively in a higher scoring game?

We should get both of those questions answered this week. I know that whatever happens, neither one is a 2 seed in the region I would want to play in the playoffs. The winner has to be the favorite out east (and probably the state) to make it to a state championship. I think that Kindred shuts down Oakes run game and when they become one dimensional they get to the QB enough to win. They grind out the clock on offense and play keep away. Kindred at home by a score of 22 to 14. Oakes needs to move the ball, generate a turnover or two, and hit on their big plays. If they can do this (especially early) I like their chances to upset the champs. I predict that if they stay healthy, both of these teams are in the semi-finals at the end of the season.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:24 am

Oakes can throw it and that is the weakness for Kindred. Quick slants to the wideouts and quick wide receiver screens. Make the outside linebackers cover in the flats. Don't run the ball... Pass it 40 times and keep the QB mobile so he does not take big hits and you take ruin Homecoming for the Vikings. Oakes has some kids that can hit and cause a turnover but I don't see the Kindred backs put the ball on the ground. Also Oakes needs to find a way to keep the Kindred Line from getting to next level on their blocks...
I am sure Oakes also wants to make a statement after last year getting destroyed on their home field so that will also play a factor. Kindreds JV will not be playing the second half of this game.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:57 am

maddog1971 wrote:Oakes can throw it and that is the weakness for Kindred. Quick slants to the wideouts and quick wide receiver screens. Make the outside linebackers cover in the flats. Don't run the ball... Pass it 40 times and keep the QB mobile so he does not take big hits and you take ruin Homecoming for the Vikings. Oakes has some kids that can hit and cause a turnover but I don't see the Kindred backs put the ball on the ground. Also Oakes needs to find a way to keep the Kindred Line from getting to next level on their blocks...
I am sure Oakes also wants to make a statement after last year getting destroyed on their home field so that will also play a factor. Kindreds JV will not be playing the second half of this game.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out because the QB from Oakes isn't mobile in the way we think about it now. Unlike other QBs we have seen in the last 5 to 10 years, he scrambles and runs very little but is mobile in a more traditional sense (moving around the pocket, climbing and stepping into throws, keeping plays alive and his eyes down field). He does a better job than any QB I have watched in a long time of knowing he is going to take a big hit and standing their a delivering throw anyway (he is tough as nails).

I'm gonna add this as a parting thought....Oakes has some trash talking showmanship to them. I have watched 2 full games and parts of others of theirs and it is there every game. Jawing at the sideline from the field, celebrating close to excessively, late hits and targeting (that has been flagged already), etc. Some folks probably would call it swagger and disagree with me that it is a potential issue but I have seen just about every team out east in this level play and Oakes has probably displayed the most of it. I don't know when but my suspicion is that at some point this season it comes into play and hurts them. Whether it is penalized at a key moment in the playoffs or they tick off the big ole line of Kindred which adds motivation; I don't know when but I do think there will come a time when it matters. It never matters against inferior opponents but everything matters again equals.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby ChickenNuggets » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:41 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:That Oakes vs. Kindred matchup is really interesting to me. I don't think anyone projected coming into the year that it would be Oakes and Kindred for the region but that Oakes team is real deal. QB throws a good ball and stands tall in the pocket, good at the skills positions, physical at RB, and generate a lot of turnovers. My only question is how good really are they up front? Insert Kindred. Great up front, really good defensively, and can run the ball at will. My only question is if you are able to hold on long enough upfront and throw the ball on them, can they reciprocate and keep up offensively in a higher scoring game?

We should get both of those questions answered this week. I know that whatever happens, neither one is a 2 seed in the region I would want to play in the playoffs. The winner has to be the favorite out east (and probably the state) to make it to a state championship. I think that Kindred shuts down Oakes run game and when they become one dimensional they get to the QB enough to win. They grind out the clock on offense and play keep away. Kindred at home by a score of 22 to 14. Oakes needs to move the ball, generate a turnover or two, and hit on their big plays. If they can do this (especially early) I like their chances to upset the champs. I predict that if they stay healthy, both of these teams are in the semi-finals at the end of the season.

Don't forget that after this big game, Kindred has to travel to Central Cass next week. If Kindred beats Oakes and CC beats Kindred they could be in a 3-way tie. There's still potential that one of these teams could be a 3-seed.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 am

That will be huge too because I think the two seed in region 2 (likely Bottineau, HCV, or Thompson) would be favored over Central Cass (I'm not sure if I would pick Thompson to win but the other two I would) but I wouldn't pick any of those three to beat either Oakes or Kindred even at home. Definitely will be interesting to see what happens tonight!
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:58 am

Well if the weather moves in for the games tonight and the wind blowing and the Rain is falling... It will not be good for Oakes. They need to throw the ball a bunch tonight and a wet ball with wind howling is not good for their offense. Hopefully that holds off so this game comes down to the end. Kindreds run game is to good for Oakes to shut down for a whole game.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Your daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:20 am

Oakes threw the ball just fine in the rain and wind the first 2 games of the season. Just saying
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Your daddy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:16 pm

Oakes got blown out. Oakes starting safety, starting rb/mlb, starting wr/cb were out to start the game. Then oakes qb was taken out on a cheap shot late hit by one of kindred's big guys. It would be a game if both teams are healthy.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby psycho » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:25 pm

This was a mismatch from the start. Kindred ran through them at will. Oakes had one nice pass play where receiver made nice move for a big play. Healthy I think Oakes has a nice team but not in the same class as Kindred. Interesting to see if Central Cass can play with Kindred. Looks like they handled Linton pretty easily.
psycho
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:55 pm

Your daddy wrote:Oakes got blown out. Oakes starting safety, starting rb/mlb, starting wr/cb were out to start the game. Then oakes qb was taken out on a cheap shot late hit by one of kindred's big guys. It would be a game if both teams are healthy.

What part of the game was the cheap shot?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Your daddy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:14 pm

The part where Sunram hit the qb late square in the face mask with the crown of his helmet. Hopefully it wasn't on purpose. That's all I'll say about the topic. I wish them luck the rest of the year they're a very good team.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:41 pm

Your daddy wrote:The part where Sunram hit the qb late square in the face mask with the crown of his helmet. Hopefully it wasn't on purpose. That's all I'll say about the topic. I wish them luck the rest of the year they're a very good team.

what quarter? is what I meant.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Your daddy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:51 pm

Middle of second quarter
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:09 am

far from a cheap shot. It was a football play, QB jumped to throw and Sunram helmet hit his helmet and Sunram pushed him. Was it late... NOPE. I have watched it six times in slow mo and it was not late. But for sure helmet to helmet. It was to bad the QB got hurt. Nobody wanted to see that happen. Oakes has a good team but they do not have the line to compete for a state title. Oakes Coaches need to get their kids trash talking under control. I get football is an emotional game and needs to be played with emotion.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Your daddy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:01 am

Jumped to throw? I don't think so. In college that hit gets you ejected. As far as trash talking I can only control my kid and trust me when I say it's being handled.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Your daddy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:31 am

http://www.hudl.com/v/2JHc4c here's the video. I'm done. Good luck vikings rest of the way.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:00 am

So just watched the video for the first time. I don't think the hit was really late but it definitely could have been flagged based on the fact that head was down and he led with the crown of the helmet and went up high. Eyes up when you tackle, see what you hit. It doesn't look intentional to me like he was trying to hurt anyone but that is definitely a type of hit that is supposed to be officiated/coached out of the modern game for safety.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Your daddy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:18 am

The play was flagged roughing the passer/late hit. There aren't ejections in north dakota hs football for those hits. Just 15yds and play on. Plays like that shouldn't happen in today's game like you said. It's a very dangerous play that can do serious permanent damage to the player getting hit and the player doing the tackling. Hopefully his coaches correct it and it doesn't happen again.
Your daddy
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:12 pm

maddog1971 wrote:far from a cheap shot. It was a football play, QB jumped to throw and Sunram helmet hit his helmet and Sunram pushed him. Was it late... NOPE. I have watched it six times in slow mo and it was not late. But for sure helmet to helmet. It was to bad the QB got hurt. Nobody wanted to see that happen. Oakes has a good team but they do not have the line to compete for a state title. Oakes Coaches need to get their kids trash talking under control. I get football is an emotional game and needs to be played with emotion.

:lol: what a joker
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:31 pm

Whoof that was rough. Definitely a flag. His head just snaps back.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:47 pm

No idea on the intent, but without question that was a play that could get a kid seriously hurt.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Let's just assume the intent was just to make a play and not seriously injure cause that's not how Kindred teaches their athletes to be. BUT it was late, it was to the head and it was dangerous...glad it was flagged because I've seen hits similar to this and horse collar tackles not get called on live streams.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to A