11-B Seeding

The teams in Class A

11-B Seeding

Postby heimer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:11 pm

is garbage.

Like garbage burning in a dumpster fire rolling down a flooded street with cats stalled out.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Re: 11-B Seeding

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:14 pm

heimer wrote:is garbage.

Like garbage burning in a dumpster fire rolling down a flooded street with cats stalled out.

Should have seeded out to 8 -
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
heimer wrote:is garbage.

Should have seeded out to 8 -

Could have done them all and guaranteed no region matchups in first round

Also never seen cats stalled out in anything flooded
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:29 pm

Not sure how to fix it ...

The best idea .. yes... Seed the east, seed the west ...#1 in east plays #4 in west ...etc.

This way ....if #1s are best teams .... OR
if the #1 and #2 in west or the #1 and #2 in the east are the best teams they will/should meet in finals ...

Of course you want the top 2 in finals....and I think we have it, even with the seeding that they did use.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:32 pm

We're talking 11-B.

Seed the top 8 1-8, no guarantees that any regional champs get a top four seeds. The coaches knew the west was overrated. I was told as much.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BelfieldBantams » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:35 pm

I still think it's possible if that it was East vs. West that the East might have won all 8. More likely 6, but could have swept.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:42 pm

My thoughts would be (I also guaranteed no region matchups in the opening round)

#16 Nedrose @ #1 Hillsboro-Central Valley
#9 Des Lacs-Burlington @ #8 Harvey-Wells County

#13 Thompson @ #4 Central Cass
#12 Oakes @ #5 Bowman County

#15 Hazen @ #2 Kindred
#10 Velva/Garrison @ #7 Beulah

#14 Lisbon @ #3 Langdon/Edmore/Munich
#11 Shiloh Christian @ #6 Bishop Ryan/ORCS

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:59 am

To the tune of Seinfeld's "Hello, Newman..."
Hello, Heimer...
We meet again.
Long time no see.

I'm one guy out west, and Schwab is another, who knew that the power in division 11B is out east. But we aren't coaches. I think it's roughly 50/50 as to whether the coaches see it clearly or are blinded by their geographical goggles.

The east has held the power for several years running in the smallest 11 man division. I would expect the trend to continue. Enrollment is a factor. Half the state lives in the greater Red River valley, including the largest schools/co-ops in division 11B. Football is a numbers game more than any other sport, and iron sharpens iron.

*Note that I didn't say the current 11B is unfair.* I’d tinker a bit, but mostly leave it intact.

It was a good year for the east in football. Bismarck Century's win streak came to an end, and the 11AA champ will come from the east. The 9 man champ will come from the east as well.

The East dominates class B volleyball.
The west dominates class A wrestling.

It's always interesting to see who can size up the field accurately in any given sport.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:59 am

There is no reason to guarantee any regional champ a top four seed. That strategy is a 1978 strategy that coaches cling to so their region has some meaning.

Seed the top eight, or 12, or 16, and who cares who goes where? Let's have the right matchups in the right rounds.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby bison football73 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:23 pm

WalkingStick wrote:My thoughts would be (I also guaranteed no region matchups in the opening round)

#15 Hazen @ #2 Kindred

Do this in 9-man too.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:54 pm

bison football73 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:My thoughts would be (I also guaranteed no region matchups in the opening round)

#15 Hazen @ #2 Kindred

Do this in 9-man too.

Just a very quick thought

(#17 Grant County-Flasher @ #16 New Rockford-Sheyenne) @ #1 LaMoure-LM
(#24 Kenmare/Bowbells/Burke Central @ #9 South Border) @ #8 May-Port-CG

(#20 Enderlin/Maple Valley @ #13 Hettinger-Scranton) @ #4 Bottineau
(#21 Lewis & Clark @ #12 St. John) @ #5 Nelson County

(#19 North Prairie @ #14 Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page) @ #3 New Salem-Almont
(#22 Mohall-Lansford-Sherwood @ #11 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood) @ #6 Divide County

(#18 Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter @ #15 Mott-Regent/New England) @ #2 Cavalier
(#23 Four Winds @ #10 Ray/Powers Lake) @ #7 Surrey

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:17 pm

#15 Hazen @ #2 Kindred

The NDHSAA does what it does (no east/west crossover until the semifinals) to try and reduce travel and school time missed while improving attendance during the round of 16 and the round of 8.

In the alternative above, Nedrose and Hazen would've possibly hit the road Friday for a Saturday game and would likely get blown out, with very few casual fans making that trip. Oakes would make a long trip to Bowman for (I think) a competitive game.

I'm fine if you prefer the alternative. There are trade-offs. It's not a slam dunk.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 pm

Nothing is a slam dunk...it's just another option that is out there.

This option opens the door for some fun matchups...mileage could be considered as well when seeding (nothing over 150 miles or something like that)

Hazen & Kindred used to have to do this on a Friday in AA Football and there were no concerns there.
Last edited by WalkingStick on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfbfan70 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:53 pm

#15 Hazen @ #2 Kindred

I really really like this, although I think it is a pipe dream because of cost of travel.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:52 am

The cost of travel argument is nonsense as half of these teams travel all over the state playing basketball games. Seed the 16 playoff teams.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:11 pm

The Schwab wrote:The cost of travel argument is nonsense as half of these teams travel all over the state playing basketball games. Seed the 16 playoff teams.

Could not agree more, that excuse has always made me laugh.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:45 pm

The Schwab wrote:The cost of travel argument is nonsense as half of these teams travel all over the state playing basketball games. Seed the 16 playoff teams.

100% spot on! These schools have no problem traveling, staying in hotels, giving meal money, etc.... for basketball in order to find top competition so why should they complain in football. South Border made the trip to Beach or Bowman a couple of years ago for a Region game, no complaints, just get on the bus and go play.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jimor » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:19 pm

Teams are traveling 150- 200 miles one way for region games already. Langdon to Northern Cass, or Bottineau to Hillsboro or Rugby to Hillsboro, That's just region 2, yes NC is going south next year.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:11 pm

jimor wrote:Teams are traveling 150- 200 miles one way for region games already. Langdon to Northern Cass, or Bottineau to Hillsboro or Rugby to Hillsboro, That's just region 2, yes NC is going south next year.

Majority of Region 1 teams had to go to Linton or Ellendale this year. Long trips are the norm so that argument shouldn't matter

South Border in 9-Man had to travel west of Missouri River a lot

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:49 pm

There’s no question that schools are already traveling all over the state in every sport, and that travel costs and class time missed are total non-factors in decision making.

This is an athletics message board, but these are schools first.
Travel costs and missed class time should be considerations, and I’m fine fighting alone on that hill here.

I think we could split the difference.
Regional play in the round of 16; east/west crossover beginning in the round of 8.

Win one game closer to home to weed out some pretenders from the contenders, then let's hit the road for Bowman at Thompson; Ray/PL at Kindred; Oakes at Velva, ect.

If the East is truly stronger, you'll see an all east final four. That's fair.

Final note for now: In this division formerly known as class A football, the state champ came from the west in every year from 1997 to 2013 with Velva, Harvey, Stanley, and Hazen taking turns. The east flipped the script beginning in 2014. https://ndhsaanow.com/champions/football
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:15 am

jimor wrote:Teams are traveling 150- 200 miles one way for region games already. Langdon to Northern Cass, or Bottineau to Hillsboro or Rugby to Hillsboro, That's just region 2, yes NC is going south next year.

Langdon didn't have to go NC, NC went to Langdon and had to go to Harvery. The two longest trips in that region and then got switch back to the South.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:20 pm

packers21 wrote:

Langdon didn't have to go NC, NC went to Langdon and had to go to Harvery. The two longest trips in that region and then got switch back to the South.

and now will have to make the trip to Linton, Oakes, Ellendale instead

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jimor » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm

I guess I should have clarified it. In 2020 langdon went to NC, and yes NC went to Langdon in 2021. Better??
Point is with the distance teams are traveling for a regular season, region or non region opponent, the farther you move in the playoffs, the tougher your opponent should be, regardless of miles traveled.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:08 pm

jimor wrote:I guess I should have clarified it. In 2020 langdon went to NC, and yes NC went to Langdon in 2021. Better??
Point is with the distance teams are traveling for a regular season, region or non region opponent, the farther you move in the playoffs, the tougher your opponent should be, regardless of miles traveled.

Maybe the State should move to neutral site games for like Minnesota does for their quarterfinal, semifinal games; keep a home first round game and home site QF but then have the Semis at a neutral site (plenty of quality turf fields out there now).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bison football73 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:00 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:There’s no question that schools are already traveling all over the state in every sport, and that travel costs and class time missed are total non-factors in decision making.

This is an athletics message board, but these are schools first.
Travel costs and missed class time should be considerations, and I’m fine fighting alone on that hill here.

I think we could split the difference.
Regional play in the round of 16; east/west crossover beginning in the round of 8.

Win one game closer to home to weed out some pretenders from the contenders, then let's hit the road for Bowman at Thompson; Ray/PL at Kindred; Oakes at Velva, ect.

If the East is truly stronger, you'll see an all east final four. That's fair.

Final note for now: In this division formerly known as class A football, the state champ came from the west in every year from 1997 to 2013 with Velva, Harvey, Stanley, and Hazen taking turns. The east flipped the script beginning in 2014. https://ndhsaanow.com/champions/football

Missed class time isn't a valid point because all of the playoff games are played on Saturdays.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to A