11-B Seeding

The teams in Class A

Re: 11-B Seeding

Postby Bisonguy06 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:26 pm

That’s kind of my whole point though. Missing Friday school for Saturday football is nonexistent in the early rounds. It would be in play if we seeded all 16.

It would be rare, but I do think you would have a couple schools ducking out on Friday afternoon to get part of the way down the road, have a practice, and spend the night in a hotel. Think Bowman at Thompson. I don’t think they are driving 450 one way miles on game day, even if you bump the game back to a 4pm start.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:56 am

Here’s a different idea:

Want to see some different matchup’s in the first round, give the East a chance to flex its muscles, and still avoid the longest possible road trips?

Pair the northwest region to play against the northeast region and the southwest versus the south east in round one.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:06 am

Bisonguy06 wrote:Here’s a different idea:

Want to see some different matchup’s in the first round, give the East a chance to flex its muscles, and still avoid the longest possible road trips?

Pair the northwest region to play against the northeast region and the southwest versus the south east in round one.

Still talking long trips per your point…Lisbon to Bowman, Hazen to Kindred would have been this year
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:13 am

Understood. It’s splitting the difference between a couple other ideas that are out there. I don’t love it. I do like kicking around ideas here. Ultimately I tend to believe the best teams make their way through any reasonable plan and bracket.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:29 am

Well Bowman kids left Friday morning. Drove to Fargo and practice Friday afternoon in Fargo and then played at 2 the next day in Kindred, Filled the bus up with Pizza's and headed home. So I really do think that is not very even playing field when you are a number 1 seed in your region. Bowman did not play flat but it looked like nerves got to them with 3 early false start penalties.

I think the semi's need to played on a neutral site between the two schools.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:41 pm

Bisonguy is right

Change nothing. Have crap semis so kids don't leave at 4PM on Friday afternoon, after school is over, to get past way there.

Bowman to Grafton, likely the longest 11-B trip, is 7 hours by car. Likely 9 hours by bus. Leave at 2:30, go to Jamestown. Missed a lot of school.

No, leave it the way it is. Don't tweak it. Can't wait for the new year. 1970 is gonna rock.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:51 pm

heimer wrote:Bisonguy is right

Change nothing. Have crap semis so kids don't leave at 4PM on Friday afternoon, after school is over, to get past way there.

Bowman to Grafton, likely the longest 11-B trip, is 7 hours by car. Likely 9 hours by bus. Leave at 2:30, go to Jamestown. Missed a lot of school.

No, leave it the way it is. Don't tweak it. Can't wait for the new year. 1970 is gonna rock.

In the words of BBT's Sheldon Cooper...Sarcasm?

Also, heimer...do we semi-agree on something? Wouldn't seeding open the door for better matchups in the quarterfinals and semifinals?

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:12 pm

heimer wrote:Bisonguy is right

A football team that leaves Bowman at 2:30 PM mountain time and travels straight through to Jamestown arrives at 8 PM central time, having not eaten yet and not practiced on the day before a playoff game.

We already have, in this thread, Bowman missing a full day of school for a shorter road trip.

I’ve peppered the football threads with proposed changes for a month and I look forward to you catching up. If you had even read this full thread, you’d know that I’d go along with East versus West crossover in the round of eight.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:15 pm

In the words of Leonard Hofstadter: (long face)

Here's the deal: if I suggested that football is better played when there isn't a blizzard happening, Bisonguy would reference that snow is white and so is the goal line. He'd follow by giving some cliche, like "They both have to play in it," then bring up how the a Fargodome is do far away that we ought to just play outside in Bismarck, and again, 1970.

Seeding would definitely improve the later rounds, but my first objection to the current system is it's reflection of the idea that we can't change our thought process. We can't acknowledge that your region may just have generally poor competition, and your winning it doesn't entitle you to a top four seed.

I could see top eight guarantee, thus a home playoff game. I wouldn't really love it, but I could at least compromise. But I wonder how well those two west region champs would have done with the schedule the four seeds had out here.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:21 pm

The east has had every state champion in this division since 2014 and it was vastly superior to the west this year. I conceded that point long ago. And I live in the west. Try to catch up.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:29 pm

Sounds like Bowman should stop in Bismarck and eat.

Okay, better, they can leave at 12:30, you know, 5 hours later than the kids in eight fine arts events every year. School time for sports is just another overused POS excuse for Minot Ryan and Velva to both get home games. We all know music kids miss way more school time that the football team.

I'm aware of your previous postings, thus your Bowman reference and your weak stance on school time being a different. Missed school time is always the last shriek of rest when there is no reason to not make a change.

And, just like your 1970s admin roots, it's all ya got.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:39 pm

I do know some thing about music kids missing school. I would bet against my oldest child ever being a varsity sports letter winner. I have a young musician in the house. And that’s just fine. Also a good student, BTW.

I already conceded that missed school time would gain no traction here on an athletics message board. I thought Bowman would miss half a day. Someone else came along and one upped me and said it was a full day. I think that’s ridiculous. You and I could fight together on that hill, but that’s not your style.

I already agreed to taking a home playoff game away from Velva and Ryan if they aren’t deserving.

You are something of a public figure, and I am a nobody. I happen to agree with you on many things athletic and political, especially in the last two years. It’s a matter of how you handle yourself on the points of disagreement that’ll probably keep us from getting along here.

But, let’s try. And let’s try to keep up.

In the general football thread, I laid out a simple plan that realigns football in a completely new way. (Essentially the only thing that hasn’t been tried since 1997)

You’ve got your go-to line about the 1970s. It’s cute. And I love a good disco ball.

What you don’t seem to have is any coherent counter argument to the points in my shiny new state-of-the-art plan.

Finally, not everything new is good. Exhibit A: Opting down.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby BelfieldBantams » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:There’s no question that schools are already traveling all over the state in every sport, and that travel costs and class time missed are total non-factors in decision making.

This is an athletics message board, but these are schools first.
Travel costs and missed class time should be considerations, and I’m fine fighting alone on that hill here.

I think we could split the difference.
Regional play in the round of 16; east/west crossover beginning in the round of 8.

Win one game closer to home to weed out some pretenders from the contenders, then let's hit the road for Bowman at Thompson; Ray/PL at Kindred; Oakes at Velva, ect.

If the East is truly stronger, you'll see an all east final four. That's fair.

Final note for now: In this division formerly known as class A football, the state champ came from the west in every year from 1997 to 2013 with Velva, Harvey, Stanley, and Hazen taking turns. The east flipped the script beginning in 2014. https://ndhsaanow.com/champions/football

I don't think the state cares about missed school time either. If they did they wouldn't have put regional first round of volleyball and basketball on a Monday. They would have kept in on Saturday. Yes I know boys regional on Saturday caused issues with State girls basketball so they could give that excuse. So because of 8 teams in girls basketball we're going to make a good portion of the state get out of school to go to 1st round of regions. Same thing for football. There were 8 class B teams playing on Saturday. I get that there are overlaps with teams, but missing school does not come into play at all in making these decisions. In fact, I heard that Bowman left at 7:30 in the morning on Friday to make it to Fargo for their game in Kindred on Saturday. Missed school time does not matter.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:It’s a matter of how you handle yourself on the points of disagreement that’ll probably keep us from getting along here.

I think that's a fair point to all of us; including yourself. We all need to have an open-mind to different ideas within this 'debate'/discussion

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:43 pm

My hottest takes have come from returning Heimer’s serve. Go look closely at how this thread began.

If I go off the rails, call me out. Past or present. I’ll own it.

I have a pretty clean 15 year track record here.

I like the fact that this site has some life to it. May the best ideas win.

Play ball!
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to A