Langdon - Greatest "A" Team Ever?

The teams in Class A

Langdon - Greatest "A" Team Ever?

Postby theallaroundballer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Let me preface this post before any accusations of recency bias are lobbed at me. I do feel that the depth of quality teams at the A level has waned in recent years; it's become especially top-heavy, and the reshuffling of classes every two years constantly has new teams adjusting and trying to acclimate their programs to this level. It results in the heavyweights feasting on 3-4 teams in their regions a year who don't have the coaching resources, facilities, or administrative support to build a proper winning culture. But with that said...

First off, has any team in ND high school football history ever gone 13-0? Undefeated in a nine-game varsity regular season, which hasn't happened in the A and 9 man divisions for at least 15 years. Teams have played only 8 game regular seasons for most of the 2000s and into the 2010s. Couple that feat with the postseason being a 16 team field, which means no 1st round byes for region champs like past state champions had the luxury of. That's 13 consecutive game weeks; Week 12 is the last any NFL teams are idle. Football is a war of attrition and yet, despite having only about 30 kids of their roster, they trounced teams week in and week out. It's a testament to their strength and conditioning program to endure an entire season and not suffer any significant, or even nagging, injuries.

They outscored their four playoff opponents 198-39, three of whom hovered in and around the top 5 all year. Averaged over 47 points per game: a vertical, consistent passing game the likes of which has no parallel in Class A history combined with a bruising, dynamic rushing attack. A suffocating starting defense which surrendered, what, three touchdowns all season? The vast majority of their points allowed were given up by the JV in garbage time of second halves. Their two closest games were 28 points, and the average margin of victory was 40 POINTS.

A historically mediocre program that has morphed into an absolute juggernaut. The turnaround helmed by Coach Krivarchka and his staff is truly staggering. Just astounded by their work ethic, mental fortitude, and selflessness: attributes that have led to a 37 game winning streak and counting.

Other agreeing/dissenting opinions are strongly encouraged. Embrace debate, friends.
Last edited by theallaroundballer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theallaroundballer
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Langdon - Greatest "A" Team Ever?

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm

theallaroundballer wrote:Simon Romfo will be a 3 year starter at an FBS Power 5 program and will be drafted within the first three rounds of the 2025 Draft

I would bet against this. I don't think a ND athlete has ever accomplished this. If this kid is that good he will be the Gatorade player of the year in ND this year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Region2FootballFan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 pm

If this kid is that good he will be the Gatorade player of the year in ND this year.

He’s exactly that good.
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 5-time state chump » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:10 pm

Langdon and HCV were the two best small schools by a landslide this year. Best two small schools (everyone except AAA) for the past 3 years.
IMO, either would have won the other's division.

Langdon was "visually" more impressive this year. Based on paper.

Based on scores and stats, compared to their peers, I'd say this team looks to be near or a the top of the all time A list. Even 1989 Beulah had some close games. This years Langdon...nope.

I looked at it this way....If other QBs at other ND schools were "protected" -- meaning couldn't be rushed or sacked.... many would have had a difficult time completing 70% of their passes with a 39-1 TD-INT ratio.

Even if you throw a great pass, the receiver has to catch it.

So the fact he threw 70%, with that TD/INT ratio, can't be attributed to anything other than he is a great QB. Those numbers are absurd.

That being said...I wish the kid the absolute best of luck...but to say he'll play at an FBS school and be drafted within first 3 rounds of NFL Draft....man.....I'd LOVE to see it, but I'd bet against it.

He's 5' 10". That makes things tough. It just does.

We've seen what he's done the past couple years, certainly he's on a lot of people's map this year. Like I said, ABSURD numbers.

He just needs to "see what he can do next year" then the year after that "see what he can do" and so on and so on. If he's capable, things will fall in place.

Looking forward to see him play next year.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:37 am

lets not get ahead of ourselves with the draft prospectus, he won't go in the top 5 for any other reason than hes 5'10....cmon now...

And greatest of all time, eh, one of the greatest for sure. Hazen had a pretty good run in A, got beat out for the 3 peat in the semis if I remember correctly?
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Class B » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:20 am

I don't want to discount what Langdon has done. How could you? It's been a great and dominating run. But saying "best ever" or "greatest ever" is something you can't throw around lightly. You also cannot simply look at stat sheets or scoreboard comparisons. Each team and each year brings it's own uniqueness. You can't overlook any of the west teams that won titles . For the first 15 or so years of Class A football, the west was where it was at in Class A. Playoff games were heavyweight matches. Hazen dominance over a couple years, Velva's 9 state titles, Watford City, etc. Velva stopped Cavalier's 3 year win streak in AA by beating them handily in the "A" title game in 2005.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Great Job by LEM. They have quite the run going. But the Greatest ever is a big statement. LEM did not have any problems this year but they have had in years pasted. Balls bouncing their way, getting calls at the right time, weather.... Just like every other teams out there.
I can tell you have not been on this earth for to many years to make that statement.
Velva has won 9 state titles since 1997.......... YES 9 in A
But AA teams could've BEAT LEM this year...... not saying they would have but all would be good games.... and if they play all 6 they do not go undefeated.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:11 pm

The tough thing about "greatest ever" discussions is there's just no way to know for sure. I do think there are recent A champions that would be physically imposing for this Langdon team (the PRFL and Hazen championship teams, for sure). That doesn't mean Langdon's offense wouldn't score more points, though. You just can't know.

What Simon Romfo is doing is nothing short of incredible at this level, but slow your roll, man. Next level throws require a type of arm talent very few people are blessed with. Let's withhold projections and let the kid be a high school kid, eh?
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 pm

I just assumed he won't be playing QB for a P5 school if he's 5'10"
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDSports » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Flip wrote:I just assumed he won't be playing QB for a P5 school if he's 5'10"

He's also only a junior and his twin brother is listed as 6' so not impossible to think he grows a little before college.
NDSports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby leroybla » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:15 pm

I'd like to think that Coach Krivarchka would be quick to give some credit for much of his and Langdon's success to his own high school athletic director, Joe Howell at Lisbon. I watched from a distance as Howell directed the Lisbon programs from a strong track program. He seemed to be able to keep athletes engaged in doing their best and having pride in the program. I've always appreciated Howell's contribution to high school athletics.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eatdatpierogi445 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:40 pm

theallaroundballer wrote:Let me preface this post before any accusations of recency bias are lobbed at me. I do feel that the depth of quality teams at the A level has waned in recent years; it's become especially top-heavy, and the reshuffling of classes every two years constantly has new teams adjusting and trying to acclimate their programs to this level. It results in the heavyweights feasting on 3-4 teams in their regions a year who don't have the coaching resources, facilities, or administrative support to build a proper winning culture. But with that said...

First off, has any team in ND high school football history ever gone 13-0? Undefeated in a nine-game varsity regular season, which hasn't happened in the A and 9 man divisions for at least 15 years. Teams have played only 8 game regular seasons for most of the 2000s and into the 2010s. Couple that feat with the postseason being a 16 team field, which means no 1st round byes for region champs like past state champions had the luxury of. That's 13 consecutive game weeks; Week 12 is the last any NFL teams are idle. Football is a war of attrition and yet, despite having only about 30 kids of their roster, they trounced teams week in and week out. It's a testament to their strength and conditioning program to endure an entire season and not suffer any significant, or even nagging, injuries.

They outscored their four playoff opponents 198-39, three of whom hovered in and around the top 5 all year. Averaged over 47 points per game: a vertical, consistent passing game the likes of which has no parallel in Class A history combined with a bruising, dynamic rushing attack. A suffocating starting defense which surrendered, what, three touchdowns all season? The vast majority of their points allowed were given up by the JV in garbage time of second halves. Their two closest games were 28 points, and the average margin of victory was 40 POINTS.

A historically mediocre program that has morphed into an absolute juggernaut. The turnaround helmed by Coach Krivarchka and his staff is truly staggering. Simon Romfo will be a 3 year starter at an FBS Power 5 program and will be drafted within the first three rounds of the 2025 Draft; you heard it here first. I'm a grad of another Region 2 school so I'm not being a reactionary, overzealous homer. Just astounded by their work ethic, mental fortitude, and selflessness: attributes that have led to a 25 game winning streak.

Other agreeing/dissenting opinions are strongly encouraged. Embrace debate, friends.

I want some of whatever this guy is smoking!
eatdatpierogi445
NDPreps Rookie

Postby theallaroundballer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:47 pm

eatdatpierogi445 wrote:
theallaroundballer wrote:Let me preface this post before any accusations of recency bias are lobbed at me. I do feel that the depth of quality teams at the A level has waned in recent years; it's become especially top-heavy, and the reshuffling of classes every two years constantly has new teams adjusting and trying to acclimate their programs to this level. It results in the heavyweights feasting on 3-4 teams in their regions a year who don't have the coaching resources, facilities, or administrative support to build a proper winning culture. But with that said...

A historically mediocre program that has morphed into an absolute juggernaut. The turnaround helmed by Coach Krivarchka and his staff is truly staggering. Simon Romfo will be a 3 year starter at an FBS Power 5 program and will be drafted within the first three rounds of the 2025 Draft; you heard it here first. I'm a grad of another Region 2 school so I'm not being a reactionary, overzealous homer. Just astounded by their work ethic, mental fortitude, and selflessness: attributes that have led to a 25 game winning streak.

I want some of whatever this guy is smoking!

I'll admit that I went a bit overboard with my anointing of Romfo. His pocket presence and football IQ are absolutely on par with Power 5 quarterbacks, but he doesn't have the arm strength or a wide enough frame to consistently hold up against those defenses with the exception of the Big 12. :? However, my overall point that this is the greatest stretch by an A team ever continues to be reaffirmed. Their sophomores that first won state in 2018 have not been remotely challenged the last two years. They're riding a 33 game winning streak and have won 44 of their last 45. There hasn't been a single game decided by fewer that 28 POINTS since their 2018 playoff run. Velva's dominant teams in the early to mid 2000s didn't feature nearly as prolific an offense or as stout a defense. Region 3 has traditionally been really weak with the bottom being laughably bad. So please tell me what is so preposterous about my assertion?
theallaroundballer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fball4life » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 am

I can with 100 percent confidence tell you that this isn’t even the best Langdon football team ever. The 2009 team would take that prize in my opinion. They also has had a dominant team in 2002 I believe. I think it is very undervalued how physically imposing a team can be in the trenches. Those teams averaged well over 220, I believe the 2002 team was closer to 300 lbs. I’m talking bruisers, not just fat kids taking up space. If you don’t understand the amount of dominance they would show against this Langdon’s O and D line, then we’ll never agree. I believe the 09 team wins tho, because the athletes they had to cover these pretty amazing throws from a stud QB like Simon would be good enough. I also take a dominant run game that has Jon Dinius average over 13 yards a carry I believe and run for over 3k in a season. They also had this one athlete named Travis Beck. Maybe you guys have heard of him, but he was easily the best athlete to come out of Langdon/Munich (ever). That I don’t even think is a question, there is verbal confirmation from Coach Klieman stating how he thought Beck was one of the best athletes he’s ever coached. With that being said, I do think them throwing as well as they do could be an issue, because we’ve just never seen a single A team throw the ball like these guys do. That’s why it’s pretty amazing and to see Coach Krivarchka turn a smash run football team into the “greatest show on turf” type of dominance is pretty fun to watch. With that being said, I think you’re still talking about one of the best statistical years and string of years ever, that is almost not arguable. The amount of dominance they show and video game numbers they put up is insane and credit the kids and the coaches for really buying in and showing them what it takes. Also helps to have two pretty stud like twins who can single handily make any team throughout the state a championship contender.

All in all, best statistical team and string of dominance yes, but best team ever to be in Class A? That’s a huge stretch.
fball4life
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:47 am

Was this the best Langdon team of the last 3 years?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Flip wrote:Was this the best Langdon team of the last 3 years?

yeah
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region2FootballFan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:32 pm

packers21 wrote:

yeah

2019 team is probably the best out of the championship teams. But it’s not necessary to compare these teams.
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Region2FootballFan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

yeah

2019 team is probably the best out of the championship teams. But it’s not necessary to compare these teams.

what teams are necessary to compare?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:56 pm

fball4life wrote:I can with 100 percent confidence tell you that this isn’t even the best Langdon football team ever. The 2009 team would take that prize in my opinion. They also has had a dominant team in 2002 I believe. I think it is very undervalued how physically imposing a team can be in the trenches. Those teams averaged well over 220, I believe the 2002 team was closer to 300 lbs. I’m talking bruisers, not just fat kids taking up space. If you don’t understand the amount of dominance they would show against this Langdon’s O and D line, then we’ll never agree. I believe the 09 team wins tho, because the athletes they had to cover these pretty amazing throws from a stud QB like Simon would be good enough. I also take a dominant run game that has Jon Dinius average over 13 yards a carry I believe and run for over 3k in a season. They also had this one athlete named Travis Beck. Maybe you guys have heard of him, but he was easily the best athlete to come out of Langdon/Munich (ever). That I don’t even think is a question, there is verbal confirmation from Coach Klieman stating how he thought Beck was one of the best athletes he’s ever coached. With that being said, I do think them throwing as well as they do could be an issue, because we’ve just never seen a single A team throw the ball like these guys do. That’s why it’s pretty amazing and to see Coach Krivarchka turn a smash run football team into the “greatest show on turf” type of dominance is pretty fun to watch. With that being said, I think you’re still talking about one of the best statistical years and string of years ever, that is almost not arguable. The amount of dominance they show and video game numbers they put up is insane and credit the kids and the coaches for really buying in and showing them what it takes. Also helps to have two pretty stud like twins who can single handily make any team throughout the state a championship contender.

All in all, best statistical team and string of dominance yes, but best team ever to be in Class A? That’s a huge stretch.

There are a couple things here that I would comment on.
First, I would argue that one of these teams from the last three years is the greatest Langdon team in history. Obviously that is my opinion, as the statement that "I can tell you with 100% confidence that this isn't even the greatest Langdon team ever" is an opinion. We all know that it is virtually impossible to compare teams from different eras. My way of looking at it is that you can only judge a team based on their performance against the competition that they are playing against in any given year. Over the last three years, LEM has been the best team in the state and hasn't lost a game. In 2019 they were absolutely dominant in the division. The other two Langdon teams that were referenced above not only lost in the state championship game, but also lost a game during the regular season, the 2009 team actually got shut out in both of those losses. So, in my opinion, these three state championship teams were the best three teams in Langdon history as there were not any other teams in their division in the entire state that were able to beat them, no other Langdon team can say that.
Second comment I have is going to age me a little but thats ok. The reference to Travis Beck as being "easily the best athlete to come out of Langdon/Munich (ever). That I don't think is even a question." Langdon "old timers" would bring up a couple of different athletes in this conversation. First would be a gentleman name Kent Krom. I don't remember Kent personally but I do know that he was a first team all state BB player in the mid-late sixties, back when all levels of BB were combined when it came to all-state teams. He was also a state champion track athlete. He was widely regarded as the best athlete to come out of Langdon until 1976 when a kid named Phil Farris graduated. Phil was a three sport athlete, FB, BB and track. He won 4 events at the 1976 state class A track meet and probably could have won 3 more. He was recruited and played FB for North Carolina. He also ran track at UNC. He just missed qualifying for the olympic trials in the long jump. He caught a TD pass in the 1979 Gator Bowl against Michigan. He was ultimately drafted by the Broncos in the 1980 NFL draft.
I am not in anyway dissing the athleticism of Travis Beck. He was a freak. I just wanted to point out that there are others that are in that conversation. A 2-sport athlete in the ACC is pretty impressive.
Bottom line is lets recognize these teams for what they have accomplished. They are not the first teams to win an undefeated state championship and likely won't be the last. They were fun to watch with how they won and congratulations to Coach Krivarchka and all the players over the last 4 years on an impressive run.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm

I had never even heard of Phil Harris.
Good post.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:49 pm

It's actually Farris Flip. He was an unbelievable athlete. Moved to Langdon with the missile site construction in the early 70's. Won the 100, LJ and both hurdles as a Sr. in the class A meet. Probably would have won the 200, 400 and high jump if you could participate in more than 4 events. Started out as a running back at UNC but got hurt his sophomore year. Played some d-back as a jr. then ultimately got move to WR as a sr. UNC actually had two RBs step up after he got hurt as a sophomore who both ended up in the NFL, Amos Lawrence and Doug Paschal. Was the AP high school athlete of the year for ND in 1976.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 5-time state chump » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Lets keep this at the top....and revisit everyone's predictions.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ChickenNuggets » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:04 am

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:It's actually Farris Flip. He was an unbelievable athlete. Moved to Langdon with the missile site construction in the early 70's. Won the 100, LJ and both hurdles as a Sr. in the class A meet. Probably would have won the 200, 400 and high jump if you could participate in more than 4 events. Started out as a running back at UNC but got hurt his sophomore year. Played some d-back as a jr. then ultimately got move to WR as a sr. UNC actually had two RBs step up after he got hurt as a sophomore who both ended up in the NFL, Amos Lawrence and Doug Paschal. Was the AP high school athlete of the year for ND in 1976.

I did a quick google search of his name and found some neat stats. UNC Beat Dan Marino's Pitt team in 1979. Farris caught the go-ahead touchdown in that game. They also beat Michigan in the Gator Bowl and again, Farris caught the touchdown to put them ahead of Michigan for good in that game as well. He was teammates with Lawrence Taylor.

Link- https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/n ... hil-farris
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 am

Neat article. Thanks for posting this Nuggets, I hadn't seen that one. Actually found some footage of that Gator Bowl game and saw that TD reception.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Return to A