Seed the Tournament Right

The teams in Class A

Re: Seed the Tournament Right

Postby classB4ever » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:56 pm

heimer wrote:I still don't understand the love affair with keeping regional teams away from each other.

What good does it serve?

Believe it comes from the basketball mentality where district/regional teams play one another multiple times during the year. Don't see why it should play into football. Agree with keeping it simple. 2 cents.

The Schwab wrote:I think if we're going to use the QRF to seed all 16 positions (which I'm in favor of) don't require teams to play every team in their "region". Reward teams for wanting to play a tougher schedule.

Tend to agree with this because it puts scheduling back in hands of Coaches/ADs and what's best for their teams. However, without any guidelines (forcing each team to play their regional opponents), scheduling might get dicey for some schools.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:15 am

scc wrote:That's what happens when only the top team from each region gets a QRF rank. Flawed plan? Yes.

Had they not changed anything this would still be the match-up.

The change to seed the top 4 teams is such a minor tweak I would hardly even consider it a change.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Flip wrote:
scc wrote:That's what happens when only the top team from each region gets a QRF rank. Flawed plan? Yes.

Had they not changed anything this would still be the match-up.

The change to seed the top 4 teams is such a minor tweak I would hardly even consider it a change.

That’s very true it still would have pitted the same matchups for this round but in a different quadrant of the bracket...The only thing the seeding of the region champs does is to possibly give an all-East or all-West final instead of having it being a guaranteed East v West
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:44 am

In the first round of the Montana class B 11 man football playoffs. Baker will travel 667 miles to play Eureka. This distance is 9 miles shorter than the distance from Grand Forks to Kansas City MO. Distance shouldn't matter for playoff games.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ChickenNuggets » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:42 pm

The Schwab wrote:In the first round of the Montana class B 11 man football playoffs. Baker will travel 667 miles to play Eureka. This distance is 9 miles shorter than the distance from Grand Forks to Kansas City MO. Distance shouldn't matter for playoff games.

Does Montana still use a QRF type formula? I thought I remembered hearing a few years ago that Montana teams refused to play against ND teams because they couldn't score QRF points from playing out of state teams and they used that solely to determine playoff teams. That was a few years ago though.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:08 pm

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure Montana seeds by regions (ex. East 1-4)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ChickenNuggets » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:26 pm

The Schwab wrote:In the first round of the Montana class B 11 man football playoffs. Baker will travel 667 miles to play Eureka. This distance is 9 miles shorter than the distance from Grand Forks to Kansas City MO. Distance shouldn't matter for playoff games.

We could potentially see a Beach @ Cavalier match-up in the 9-man semi-finals. Thats gotta be a 450 mile trip.

Bowman @ Langdon for last year's semis is listed at 420 miles on Google Maps.

What are some other major trips teams could make or have made for playoffs?
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:24 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:

We could potentially see a Beach @ Cavalier match-up in the 9-man semi-finals. Thats gotta be a 450 mile trip.

Bowman @ Langdon for last year's semis is listed at 420 miles on Google Maps.

What are some other major trips teams could make or have made for playoffs?

Watford City and Wahpeton had to travel for AA regular season games the past 2 seasons.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:50 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:What are some other major trips teams could make or have made for playoffs?

It's not insane far, but South Border went to Cavalier 4 years in a row for the playoffs. Wishek is 263 to Cavalier.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:27 pm

Flip wrote:
ChickenNuggets wrote:What are some other major trips teams could make or have made for playoffs?

It's not insane far, but South Border went to Cavalier 4 years in a row for the playoffs. Wishek is 263 to Cavalier.

9-Man Playoffs Last Year:
Richardton-Taylor-Hebron had to travel to St. John (263 miles)
St. John then had to go to Ray the next week (201 miles)

Class A Last Year:
Rugby had to travel to Kindred (238 miles)
Dickinson Trinity had to travel to Hillsboro (310 miles) & Bowman traveled to Langdon (420 miles)

This is only to name a few...2017 had some long trips as well.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ChickenNuggets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:

9-Man Playoffs Last Year:
Richardton-Taylor-Hebron had to travel to St. John (263 miles)
St. John then had to go to Ray the next week (201 miles)

Class A Last Year:
Rugby had to travel to Kindred (238 miles)
Dickinson Trinity had to travel to Hillsboro (310 miles) & Bowman traveled to Langdon (420 miles)

This is only to name a few...2017 had some long trips as well.

Maybe another interesting statistic/trivia question might be "What is the furthest a team in ND has traveled for a playoff game that they won?"
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby THUNDER-PRIDE » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 pm

ChickenNuggets wrote:Maybe another interesting statistic/trivia question might be "What is the furthest a team in ND has traveled for a playoff game that they won?"

May not be the longest single roadtrip for a single game, but in 2016 EEK finished the year winning on the road.

Game 1: Hosted a playoff game against Parker River
Game 2: traveled to Larimore for the Quarterfinals 402 miles roundtrip
Game 3: traveled to Langdon for the Semifinals 472 miles roundtrip
Game 4: State Title game against DLB in Fargo 324 miles roundtrip

I know it's not Bowman County traveling to Langdon 840 miles roundtrip, but a look at multiple trips.
THUNDER-PRIDE
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm

I'd venture a guess that the farthest a team traveled to win a road playoff game would be North Prairie (Rolla) to Hettinger-Scranton (Hettinger) a distance of 338 miles. Semi-Finals of 9-Man 2015
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to A