QRF

The teams in Class A

QRF

Postby Class B » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Run, sorry if you've posted this somewhere already... but when do we start to see QRF ratings?
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Re: QRF

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:19 pm

It was updated today...every Monday by Noon it should be updated until final week of season then it will be run day after final game is played.

http://www.northdakota-scores.net/class ... 4&class=27

Link to full site is within my signature below vvv
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Fletcher » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:45 pm

What will QRF be used for this year in regard to the bracket? In the past it was the home field tie-breaker between like seeded teams from different regions. However, in this year's 9-Man and A football brackets it looks like they are only seeding 1-4 and the remainder are unseeded. Will it be used to determine home field for games between unseeded teams?
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Fletcher wrote:What will QRF be used for this year in regard to the bracket? In the past it was the home field tie-breaker between like seeded teams from different regions. However, in this year's 9-Man and A football brackets it looks like they are only seeding 1-4 and the remainder are unseeded. Will it be used to determine home field for games between unseeded teams?

It’s being used to rank the 4 region winners in both divisions (just like last year in Class A).

Let’s just hypothetically go with the top 4 right now
#1 - Region 3 Velva
#2 - Region 2 Langdon
#3 - Region 1 Lisbon
#4 - Region 4 Shiloh/Bowman

Therefore the bracket would set up as:
(#1) R3-1 vs R4-4
R4-2 vs R3-3

(#4) R4-1 vs R3-4
R3-2 vs R4-3

(#2) R2-1 vs R1-4
R1-2 vs R2-3

(#3) R1-1 vs R2-4
R2-2 vs R1-3

If a 1-seed is upset the the better seed will be the home team; if two like seeded teams meet up in the semifinals then the QRF will determine the home team; if the QRF is the same then the better region rank will be the home team
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Fletcher » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks for the explanation!
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sniper » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:14 pm

Are we ever going to find out what the formula for the QRF is?
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Fletcher » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:03 am

Hey Run, does the #1 - #4 ranking drive the rest of the bracket match-ups?

In your example, you have Region 3 teams matched up initially vs Region 4 teams based on the fact that Velva (Region 3) is the #1 in QRF and Shiloh (or Bo.County) is #4 in QRF. Leaving Region 1 (QRF #3) to play Region 2 (QRF #2) in the same way. Which is the traditional #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 bracket setup.

Coincidentally, that lines up the bracket as West teams vs West teams and East teams vs East teams, at least in the first round.

My question is if the QRF for the top teams were to go:
#1 - Region 2 Langdon
#2 - Region 3 Velva
#3 - Region 1 Lisbon
#4 - Region 4 Shiloh

...would the bracket still be QRF #1 vs QRF #4 and QRF #2 vs QRF #3? This would setup Region 2 teams playing Region 4 teams in the first round and Region 3 teams playing Region 1 teams in the first round. OR, would the bracket line up Region 1 against Region 2 teams...and Region 3 against Region 4 teams to preserve the East / West boundaries and save on travel?

Sorry if that's confusing, I'm just wondering what takes priority, the #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 QRF matchups or geography?
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:32 am

Sniper wrote:Are we ever going to find out what the formula for the QRF is?

Nope, it's a secret ;)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:34 am

Fletcher wrote:Hey Run, does the #1 - #4 ranking drive the rest of the bracket match-ups?

In your example, you have Region 3 teams matched up initially vs Region 4 teams based on the fact that Velva (Region 3) is the #1 in QRF and Shiloh (or Bo.County) is #4 in QRF. Leaving Region 1 (QRF #3) to play Region 2 (QRF #2) in the same way. Which is the traditional #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 bracket setup.

Coincidentally, that lines up the bracket as West teams vs West teams and East teams vs East teams, at least in the first round.

My question is if the QRF for the top teams were to go:
#1 - Region 2 Langdon
#2 - Region 3 Velva
#3 - Region 1 Lisbon
#4 - Region 4 Shiloh

...would the bracket still be QRF #1 vs QRF #4 and QRF #2 vs QRF #3? This would setup Region 2 teams playing Region 4 teams in the first round and Region 3 teams playing Region 1 teams in the first round. OR, would the bracket line up Region 1 against Region 2 teams...and Region 3 against Region 4 teams to preserve the East / West boundaries and save on travel?

Sorry if that's confusing, I'm just wondering what takes priority, the #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 QRF matchups or geography?

Your hypothetical is correct...the way it is now would put a guaranteed east-west final but it could shift to your hypothetical and give the possibility of an all east or west final. Things will shift after each week.

As an answer to the QRF question...I don’t know exact formula numbers but I know the concept...send a message and I can explain to some detail
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:42 pm

They base whole rank on Qrf or is there some other things that go into setting playoff bracking. I wonder with how the regions come out now it looks like we could have several regions with undefeated seasons and very little cross playing against each region we could have scenarios of best teams playing each other in semifinals and this is the reason we were preventing with bracketing the teams. Or am I figuring wrong here because it sure looks to me we could easily have region over weighted because they played each other closely than another region where this was not the case. I look at the two top teams now based on QRF they only have one opponent in common that's Harvey wells County which they both beat easily with Velva giving up some points and Langdon shutting them out so how do you determine anything here. Region 3 has better record against region 2 and overall region 3 looks to be stronger region this year. The big question is how the two top teams these regions compare. I could make similar cases for each of the regions teams leaders so I question way its structured now if we solved why were bracketing the playoffs. The last two years we have been lucky in that the two top teams have met at the state championship game but sooner or later were going to miss on this account and semifinal game will be where the two best teams meet and state championship game will be noncompetitive game. I don't have solutions to this where you can have playoff that has orderly system and people can understand so we have this and its has 75% chance of being right.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:47 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:They base whole rank on Qrf or is there some other things that go into setting playoff bracking

The region winners are seeded 1-4 and that is based solely on QRF.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to A