2018 Playoff Bracket

The teams in Class A

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Class B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:52 am

The Schwab wrote:
scc wrote:I would hope NDHSAA knows the full details of the formula. It doesn't have to be public, but the ones using it should know how it works.

I don't understand why they would keep it secret, let teams know how it works so they can adjust their schedules if needed. I know in South Dakota their power points system isn't secret, and that's how they seed their tournaments.

Totally agree. If some objective formula is going to determine your path to the finals, people need to adjust. Sometimes quality wins isn't an option for people (if that's part of the formula). With an 8-game regular season, there isn't much of an opportunity to schedule quality non-conference opponents, etc. Like I said in a previous comment, teams like Bowman County and Velva have done everything asked of them up to this point.

If it's based on margin of victory, do we really want to ask these teams to leave their varsity players in longer than they need to be? A couple weeks ago Larry Sandy pulled his varsity after the 1st quarter.. will that haunt him in the QRF? Coaches would rather develop younger players than pile on points in a game already 50-0.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 am

Class B wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
scc wrote:I would hope NDHSAA knows the full details of the formula. It doesn't have to be public, but the ones using it should know how it works.

I don't understand why they would keep it secret, let teams know how it works so they can adjust their schedules if needed. I know in South Dakota their power points system isn't secret, and that's how they seed their tournaments.

Totally agree. If some objective formula is going to determine your path to the finals, people need to adjust. Sometimes quality wins isn't an option for people (if that's part of the formula). With an 8-game regular season, there isn't much of an opportunity to schedule quality non-conference opponents, etc. Like I said in a previous comment, teams like Bowman County and Velva have done everything asked of them up to this point.

If it's based on margin of victory, do we really want to ask these teams to leave their varsity players in longer than they need to be? A couple weeks ago Larry Sandy pulled his varsity after the 1st quarter.. will that haunt him in the QRF? Coaches would rather develop younger players than pile on points in a game already 50-0.

Margin is not a part of it...this I do know. Velva's QRF may seem 'lower' because (IMO) they haven't played the next best team in their region yet (Bishop Ryan...who has a high win total as well). If you go undefeated you will be in the Top 4. I think the QRF is being used to determine some strength to break up the Top 4.

http://www.minnesota-scores.net/faq.php
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:05 am

defensewinsgames wrote:I believe the QRF thing came about because people complained the best two teams weren't playing in the state championship. Look at the last few years of East vs. West and there were some non-competitive games so people got upset. For example here are some of the scores and results from recent 9 man championships and 11 man A chmapionships:

2008 Hillsboro 46, Williams County 8
2009 Hankinson 27, Parshall/White Shield 12
2010 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 54, Wells County 12
2011 Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter 50, North Star 42
2012 New Rockford-Sheyenne 40, Divide County 22
2013 Cavalier 54, Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn 6
2014 Cavalier 36, Shiloh Christian 6

2011 Stanley/Powers Lake 42, Linton/HMB 6
2012 Hazen 55, Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn 28
2013 Hazen 20, Milnor/North Sargent 0
2014 Park River/Fordville-Lankin 26, Kildeer 18
2015 Park River/Fordville-Lankin 38, Killdeer 14
2016 Ellendale/Edgeley/Kulm 42, Des Lacs-Burlington 20

There are a few competitive good games sprinkled in there but there are also a lot of lopsided scores. People theorized that if the "top two" teams regardless of geographic location got in that might address the problem. Last year's championship game is a good example of that IMO. Langdon and HCV were clearly the best 2 teams in the state so instead of one losing in the quarter or semi-finals to the other they got to play in the state championship and we had a really close competitive game. Again this all comes down to all you have to do is win the games on your schedule and you continue advancing. Traveling not cool but it is part of the game.

Just for comparison, here are the semi final scores from those champions:

2008- Hillsboro won their semi-final game 38-6
2009- Hankinson won their semi-final game 29-20
2010- Wyndmere won their semi-final game 40-22
2011- Great Championship Game
2012- NRS won their semi-final game 32-8
2013- Cavalier won their semi-final game 62-8
2014- Cavailer won their semi-final game 52-8

2011- Stanley won their semi-final game 28-27 (game should have been the state championship)
2012- Hazen won their semi-final game 14-0
2013- Hazen won their semi-final game 34-8
2014- PRFL won their semi-final game 7-0 (championship game was good IMO and considered an mild upset)
2015- PRFL won their semi-final game 28-9
2016- EEKM won their semi-final game 50-20

While I tend to agree with the cross-state bracketing for the playoffs, I don't feel like we've really been robbed of seeing the best game in the dome as most of the semi final games were blowouts with the one exception being class A in 2011 IMO.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:31 am

I agree with you Schwab. I'm not saying that it is my opinion but I know it was the opinion of those most inclined to complain loudly. Just like every other facet of life, those who complain loudly tend to be heard first as everyone gets sick of the loud complaints. I think just like everything else there are advantages and disadvantages to the QRF system (just like the East vs. West). The thing I personally miss about the East vs. West format is that you got a chance to play out the rivalry games and rematches in the early rounds like Thompson vs. Cavalier last year and then get to play a team you never would from the other side of the state in the championship. I think it led to more games you felt like had that state championship atmosphere in earlier rounds.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:15 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:I agree with you Schwab. I'm not saying that it is my opinion but I know it was the opinion of those most inclined to complain loudly. Just like every other facet of life, those who complain loudly tend to be heard first as everyone gets sick of the loud complaints. I think just like everything else there are advantages and disadvantages to the QRF system (just like the East vs. West). The thing I personally miss about the East vs. West format is that you got a chance to play out the rivalry games and rematches in the early rounds like Thompson vs. Cavalier last year and then get to play a team you never would from the other side of the state in the championship. I think it led to more games you felt like had that state championship atmosphere in earlier rounds.

Honestly I'm shocked they went with the QRF system, it's a change. Normally things don't change in ND high school sports.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:26 pm

The Schwab wrote:Honestly I'm shocked they went with the QRF system, it's a change. Normally things don't change in ND high school sports.

ND is proactive in some other things though: shot clock, halves instead of quarters, the semi circle charge line are a few things I can think of.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Flip wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Honestly I'm shocked they went with the QRF system, it's a change. Normally things don't change in ND high school sports.

ND is proactive in some other things though: shot clock, halves instead of quarters, the semi circle charge line are a few things I can think of.

I agree with you on the shot clock, only class A has halves and the semi-circle IMO wasn't a good rule addition, IMO it is meant for games played above the rim.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:47 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Flip wrote:

I agree with you on the shot clock, only class A has halves and the semi-circle IMO wasn't a good rule addition, IMO it is meant for games played above the rim.

I think at times they are proactive about the wrong things. IMO the charge circle is not a benefit for high school basketball in the state (especially in these smaller class b schools). The QRF thing doesn't bother me a ton it is just really strange to me that they prioritized the shot clock and QRF but not changing intentional grounding. With the emphasis on player safety the intentional grounding rule drives me crazy! Why is high school the only level you have no protection to throw away the ball? These are the kids least likely to be able to throw a ball "near a receiver" without throwing a pick so they either throw the ball up into triple coverage, take an intentional grounding, take a sack, or go sprinting down the field to take an additional hit. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me and I wish they would go to a rule that fits more closely with what is going on in the NFL, where the QB can throw away the ball to protect himself.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby THUNDER-PRIDE » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:12 pm

The Schwab wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:I believe the QRF thing came about because people complained the best two teams weren't playing in the state championship. Look at the last few years of East vs. West and there were some non-competitive games so people got upset. For example here are some of the scores and results from recent 9 man championships and 11 man A chmapionships:

2008 Hillsboro 46, Williams County 8
2009 Hankinson 27, Parshall/White Shield 12
2010 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood 54, Wells County 12
2011 Napoleon/Gackle-Streeter 50, North Star 42
2012 New Rockford-Sheyenne 40, Divide County 22
2013 Cavalier 54, Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn 6
2014 Cavalier 36, Shiloh Christian 6

2011 Stanley/Powers Lake 42, Linton/HMB 6
2012 Hazen 55, Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn 28
2013 Hazen 20, Milnor/North Sargent 0
2014 Park River/Fordville-Lankin 26, Kildeer 18
2015 Park River/Fordville-Lankin 38, Killdeer 14
2016 Ellendale/Edgeley/Kulm 42, Des Lacs-Burlington 20

There are a few competitive good games sprinkled in there but there are also a lot of lopsided scores. People theorized that if the "top two" teams regardless of geographic location got in that might address the problem. Last year's championship game is a good example of that IMO. Langdon and HCV were clearly the best 2 teams in the state so instead of one losing in the quarter or semi-finals to the other they got to play in the state championship and we had a really close competitive game. Again this all comes down to all you have to do is win the games on your schedule and you continue advancing. Traveling not cool but it is part of the game.

Just for comparison, here are the semi final scores from those champions:

2008- Hillsboro won their semi-final game 38-6
2009- Hankinson won their semi-final game 29-20
2010- Wyndmere won their semi-final game 40-22
2011- Great Championship Game
2012- NRS won their semi-final game 32-8
2013- Cavalier won their semi-final game 62-8
2014- Cavailer won their semi-final game 52-8

2011- Stanley won their semi-final game 28-27 (game should have been the state championship)
2012- Hazen won their semi-final game 14-0
2013- Hazen won their semi-final game 34-8
2014- PRFL won their semi-final game 7-0 (championship game was good IMO and considered an mild upset)
2015- PRFL won their semi-final game 28-9
2016- EEKM won their semi-final game 50-20

While I tend to agree with the cross-state bracketing for the playoffs, I don't feel like we've really been robbed of seeing the best game in the dome as most of the semi final games were blowouts with the one exception being class A in 2011 IMO.

2016-EEK won their Quarter-Final game 42-41 against #1 Larimore...EEK had lost to Larimore 23-49 the 3rd week of the season. So the whole season the team that was toted #1 lost in the 2nd week of the playoffs.
THUNDER-PRIDE
NDPreps Rookie

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Obviously the goal with any sort of formula/plan for seeding teams it to provide the opportunity to showcase the two best teams in the Dakota Bowl. I am still not sold on using the QRF as the tool to try and accomplish that. It did work out last year as most of us would agree that that two best teams met in the championship. It was actually a bit of a fluke that that occured, however. If anyone remembers, the final QRF ranking that was used to seed the final 4 actually had HCV and Velva tied at 1 with LEM 3rd and DT 4th. HCV got the nod as the #1 seed due to region 1 having a higher region QRF than region 3. It was that close to HCV and LEM being the 2-3 seeds and still meeting in the semis based on QRF. I believe the AP poll actually had HCV and LEM 1-2 in the final poll. I don't know if it is possible to put a system in place that will get the two best teams in the championship on a consistent basis. I don't have the answer but I personally have reservations about expecting the QRF to accomplish that.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 am

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:Obviously the goal with any sort of formula/plan for seeding teams it to provide the opportunity to showcase the two best teams in the Dakota Bowl. I am still not sold on using the QRF as the tool to try and accomplish that. It did work out last year as most of us would agree that that two best teams met in the championship. It was actually a bit of a fluke that that occured, however. If anyone remembers, the final QRF ranking that was used to seed the final 4 actually had HCV and Velva tied at 1 with LEM 3rd and DT 4th. HCV got the nod as the #1 seed due to region 1 having a higher region QRF than region 3. It was that close to HCV and LEM being the 2-3 seeds and still meeting in the semis based on QRF. I believe the AP poll actually had HCV and LEM 1-2 in the final poll. I don't know if it is possible to put a system in place that will get the two best teams in the championship on a consistent basis. I don't have the answer but I personally have reservations about expecting the QRF to accomplish that.

I absolutely agree with there being no system that will consistently do what we want it to. With so few common opponents it is near impossible to compare teams. Then you have to take into account that common opponents don't tell the story of matchups, injuries, weather, etc and you have an impossible task on your hands. The reality is that until the QRF has been in effect a few years we won't really know if it is doing what we want/need it to.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I really like how the bracket turned out. From the quarters on it could be a toss up.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jimor » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Final
1 Langdon Area/Munich (8-0) 53.4
2 Hillsboro/Central Valley (8-0) 51.6
3 Bishop Ryan (8-0) 49.7
4 Carrington (7-1) 48.4
5 Bowman County (8-0) 46.3
6 Velva (7-1) 45.6
7 Kindred (6-2) 41.1
8 Dickinson Trinity (6-1) 40.9
9 Des Lacs-Burlington (6-2) 39.2
10 NS/Milnor (6-2) 37.2
11 Rugby (5-3) 34.5
12 Hazen (5-3) 28.9
13 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) 28.8
14 Beulah (6-3) 28.2
15 Ellendale/Edgeley/Kulm (3-5) 24.9
16 Central Dakota (4-4) 24.1
17 Lisbon (3-5) 24.0
18 Northern Cass (3-5) 23.4
19 Killdeer/Halliday (4-4) 22.1
20 Stanley (3-5) 21.5
21 Kenmare/Bowbells/BC (3-5) 21.2
T-22 Oak Grove (3-5) 20.6
T-22 Nedrose (3-5) 20.6
24 Park River/Fordville-Lankin (2-6) 18.3
25 Bottineau (1-7) 13.8
26 Westhope/Newburg/Glenburn (1-7) 13.7
27 Lewis and Clark (2-6) 12.6
28 Heart River (2-6) 11.2
29 New Town (0-8) 9.4
30 Southern McLean (1-7) 8.9
31 Maple Valley/Enderlin (0-8) 8.4
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:29 pm

I was looking at the playoff matchups there are couple of matchups that look like they could be interesting. In The top bracket I would think that Rugby vs Kindred game could be a good game and also the Hazen vs Velva matchup could be good also with both them known to be good football programs, then in the bottom bracket Des Lacs/Burlington vs Dickinson Trinity by there ranking could be a good game, and finally Milnor-NS vs Carrington could be a good game. I just don't see to many upsets in this first round but maybe I am wrong on this. Should start to see how the regions start shaping up against one another but I don't think we will see that until after round 2 then we should see how the regions and team may stack up against each other. If things go as the teams are ranked the top bracket is going to see some teams putting in some significant times on the buses in next few weeks. I would like to hear what other people think of how the playoffs set up and who they think could be sleepers that could create a few surprises.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I was looking at the playoff matchups there are couple of matchups that look like they could be interesting. In The top bracket I would think that Rugby vs Kindred game could be a good game and also the Hazen vs Velva matchup could be good also with both them known to be good football programs, then in the bottom bracket Des Lacs/Burlington vs Dickinson Trinity by there ranking could be a good game, and finally Milnor-NS vs Carrington could be a good game. I just don't see to many upsets in this first round but maybe I am wrong on this. Should start to see how the regions start shaping up against one another but I don't think we will see that until after round 2 then we should see how the regions and team may stack up against each other. If things go as the teams are ranked the top bracket is going to see some teams putting in some significant times on the buses in next few weeks. I would like to hear what other people think of how the playoffs set up and who they think could be sleepers that could create a few surprises.

Beulah @ Bishop Ryan should be a very interesting matchup for the 1st Round
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndfootball4444 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Saturday, October 20th
G1: 1-4 Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (3-5) @ 2-1 Langdon/Edmore/Munich (8-0)
G2: 2-3 Rugby (5-3) @ 1-2 Kindred (6-2)

G3: 3-4 Nedrose (3-5) @ 4-1 Bowman County (8-0)
G4: 4-3 Hazen (5-3) @ 3-2 Velva (7-1)

G5: 2-4 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) @ 1-1 Hillsboro-Central Valley (8-0)
G6: 1-3 Milnor-North Sargent (6-2) @ 2-2 Carrington (7-1)

G7: 4-4 Beulah (6-3) @ 3-1 Bishop Ryan (8-0)
G8: 3-3 Des Lacs-Burlington (6-2) @ 4-2 Dickinson Trinity (6-1)

Saturday, October 27th
G9: Winner G1 vs. Winner G2
G10: Winner G3 vs. Winner G4
G11: Winner G5 vs. Winner G6
G12: Winner G7 vs. Winner G8

Saturday, November 3rd
G13: Winner G9 vs. Winner G10
G14: Winner G11 vs. Winner G12

Friday, November 9th
CHAMPIONSHIP: Winner G13 vs. Winner G14

G1 E/E/K @ LANGDON- Langdon keeps rolling.
G2 Rugby @ KINDRED-Close at first.
G3 Nedrose @ BOWMAN COUNTY-Bowman keeps rolling.
G4 Hazen @ VELVA-Not as close as people think.
G5 Harvey @ HILLSBORO-
G6 Milnor @ CARRINGTON-Carrington in a close one.
G7 BEULAH @ Minot Ryan-Could go either way?? but Beulahs physicality and coaching gets it done. Game of the week. IMO.
G8 Des Lacs @ TRINITY- Trinity keeps rolling after week off.
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sorenson23 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Langdon-Munich-Edmore
Kindred
Bowman County
Velva
Hillsboro-CV
Carrington
Beulah
Trinity
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region2FootballFan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Saturday, October 20th

Saturday, October 27th

Saturday, November 3rd

Friday, November 9th
Region2FootballFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 am

Saturday, October 20th

G6: 1-3 Milnor-North Sargent (6-2) @ 2-2 Carrington (7-1) This is the game I'm most excited for in round 1. If Milnor can be steady in coverage and not let Carrington become multi-faceted I think they have a chance.

defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Attack the Process » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:21 am

Saturday, October 20th
G1: 1-4 Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (3-5) @ 2-1 (#1) Langdon/Edmore/Munich (8-0)

G3: 3-4 Nedrose (3-5) @ 4-1 (#4) Bowman County (8-0)

G5: 2-4 Harvey-Wells County (4-4) @ 1-1 (#2) Hillsboro-Central Valley (8-0)

G7: 4-4 Beulah (6-3) @ 3-1 (#3) Bishop Ryan (8-0)

Saturday, October 27th

Saturday, November 3rd

Friday, November 9th
Last edited by Attack the Process on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClemsonTigers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 am

Saturday, October 20th

Saturday, October 27th

Saturday, November 3rd

Friday, November 9th
ClemsonTigers
NDPreps Reserve

Postby madseason » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Looking at the qrf shouldn't carrington be the 4 seed?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 pm

madseason wrote:Looking at the qrf shouldn't carrington be the 4 seed?

They didn't win their Region...only the Region #1's are seeded
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby CoachB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Hazen 8
Velva 6 2nd Quarter

Hazen 8
Velva 12 Start 3rd Quarter
CoachB
NDPreps Reserve