2018 Playoff Bracket

The teams in Class A

2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Saturday, October 20th
G1: 1-4 Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm 7 @ 2-1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich 45
G2: 2-3 Rugby 6 @ 1-2 Kindred 48

G3: 3-4 Nedrose 28 @ 4-1 (4) Bowman County 55
G4: 4-3 Hazen 8 @ 3-2 (RV) Velva 24

G5: 2-4 Harvey-Wells County 8 @ 1-1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley 49
G6: 1-3 Milnor-North Sargent 14 @ 2-2 (5) Carrington 6

G7: 4-4 Beulah 33 @ 3-1 (3) Bishop Ryan 14
G8: 3-3 Des Lacs-Burlington 13 @ 4-2 (RV) Dickinson Trinity 57

Saturday, October 27th
G9: 1-2 Kindred 7 @ 2-1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich 28
G10: 3-2 (RV) Velva 16 @ 4-1 (4) Bowman County 26
G11: 1-3 Milnor-North Sargent 8 @ 1-1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley 27
G12: 4-4 Beulah 12 @ 4-2 (RV) Dickinson Trinity 34

Saturday, November 3rd
G13: #4 (4) Bowman County 19 @ #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich 22
G14: (RV) Dickinson Trinity 8 @ #2 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley 44

Friday, November 9th
CHAMPIONSHIP: #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich 20 vs. #2 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley 18

CHAMPS: Langdon/Edmore/Munich (12-0)
Runner-Up: Hillsboro-Central Valley (11-1)

Senior Athlete of the Year: Kaden Kuntz, Dickinson Trinity
Coach of the Year: Josh Krivarchka, Langdon/Edmore/Munich
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Class B » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 am

Does this mean QRF will come into play right away in the first round?
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:13 am

Class B wrote:Does this mean QRF will come into play right away in the first round?


Whatever was done last year...I believe so for seeding 1-4
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Class B » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:08 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Class B wrote:Does this mean QRF will come into play right away in the first round?


Whatever was done last year...I believe so for seeding 1-4


Ok, thanks!
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby THUNDER-PRIDE » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:35 am

So is the Top 4 out of each Region determined by head-to-head wins or is the QRF going to determine the Top 4 from each Region. That being said the Top 4 in Region 1 will be interesting looking at the #4 spot.
THUNDER-PRIDE
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:52 am

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:05 am

THUNDER-PRIDE wrote:So is the Top 4 out of each Region determined by head-to-head wins or is the QRF going to determine the Top 4 from each Region. That being said the Top 4 in Region 1 will be interesting looking at the #4 spot.

QRF has nothing to do with the 4 teams that qualify out of each region
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am

THUNDER-PRIDE wrote:So is the Top 4 out of each Region determined by head-to-head wins or is the QRF going to determine the Top 4 from each Region. That being said the Top 4 in Region 1 will be interesting looking at the #4 spot.


The QRF will determine the Top 4 OVERALL seeds for the State...then the bracket will fill in similar to a normal bracket.

Example: *Say Hillsboro-CV gets #1 overall (they are #1 for R1)
#1 Hillsboro-Central Valley will get the R2 #4 seed...their other game for their quadrant will be
R2 #2 (Most likely) Carrington vs. R1 #3 (most likely) Milnor-North Sargent

Then if the #4 OVERALL seed is (let's say Bowman County for the sake of the example)
#4 Bowman County will get the R3 #4...their other game for their quadrant will be
R3 #2 (most likely) Loser of Bishop Ryan & Velva vs. R4 #3 (either) D. Trinity or Beulah most likely

Therefore you would have east vs. west games in the semifinals and not guaranteed a East/West final.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Class B » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 pm

When do we start seeing QRF rankings published?
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Class B wrote:When do we start seeing QRF rankings published?


The 2nd QRF ranking was released today. Go to northdakota-scores.net
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:03 pm

So we are all clear here, QRF does not come in to play until the Semi Finals. The four final remaining teams will be ranked according to their QRF for the Semi's but not before.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:So we are all clear here, QRF does not come in to play until the Semi Finals. The four final remaining teams will be ranked according to their QRF for the Semi's but not before.



Top 4 overall #1 seeds from each region will be seeded for the 1st round via the QRF...just like last year. This setup gave us the all-east Class A title last year. It can come into play in the semis to help in case like-seeded teams play each other as well but it is used to seed the #1 seeds from each region into the bracket

Here is the link to last year's topic of Bracket: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13546
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby NodakQ2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks Run...I think I've got it now... :shock:
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Class B » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:So we are all clear here, QRF does not come in to play until the Semi Finals. The four final remaining teams will be ranked according to their QRF for the Semi's but not before.



Top 4 overall #1 seeds from each region will be seeded for the 1st round via the QRF...just like last year. This setup gave us the all-east Class A title last year. It can come into play in the semis to help in case like-seeded teams play each other as well but it is used to seed the #1 seeds from each region into the bracket

Here is the link to last year's topic of Bracket: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13546


Could you be so kind and remind us how the QRF is determined? Formula?
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Class B wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:So we are all clear here, QRF does not come in to play until the Semi Finals. The four final remaining teams will be ranked according to their QRF for the Semi's but not before.



Top 4 overall #1 seeds from each region will be seeded for the 1st round via the QRF...just like last year. This setup gave us the all-east Class A title last year. It can come into play in the semis to help in case like-seeded teams play each other as well but it is used to seed the #1 seeds from each region into the bracket

Here is the link to last year's topic of Bracket: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13546


Could you be so kind and remind us how the QRF is determined? Formula?


I don't have access to the formula...I just enter the scores to the site. The formula was created by the owner of the MN & ND scores sites. If you go to the MN scores page you may be able to find a link on the basics of it (It's been there before...just not sure now).
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Wouldn’t it make more sense to either-

A - Just give the top 4 QRF teams the seeds from the get go without regard to Region OR

B - Play it out “normal” until the semis, then QRF the four semi final teams?

Option B would be least confusing. Try to explain to your 80 something year old parents/Grandparents sometime the current process. They looked at me like I’m speaking Chinese.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:Wouldn’t it make more sense to either-

A - Just give the top 4 QRF teams the seeds from the get go without regard to Region OR

B - Play it out “normal” until the semis, then QRF the four semi final teams?

Option B would be least confusing. Try to explain to your 80 something year old parents/Grandparents sometime the current process. They looked at me like I’m speaking Chinese.


Just like the setting up of the regions...they were trying something different for the 2 year plan (trial run so -to-speak)...No matter what system is chosen it seems that someone (not you...just generalizing here) has a complaint on it...I've heard someone state that they should just seed all 16 teams that qualify for State (1-16, 2-15, etc.). I doubt the state would ever go to that though...they won't even seed all 8 seeds for a State VB, BBB, GBB or Baseball tournament yet. Option B - then you may have a 1-seed that has to go on the road to a team that has lost on the season; I can see the arguments either way on it...it's a no-win situation no matter how you look at it because someone just won't agree with it.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:04 pm

I think the current system is fine. It's same system as before, just that the 4 brackets might be in a different order, right?

NodakQ2 wrote:Option B would be least confusing. Try to explain to your 80 something year old parents/Grandparents sometime the current process. They looked at me like I’m speaking Chinese.

No way I'd try to explain this to someone that old.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Sorenson23 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:24 am

I know they have the top four seeds based on QRF. Could they seed it to have eight seeds instead of four. That way in a 16 team playoffs. You would have the top 8 seeds and the other would be based on their QRF who would play each other. I went off of http://www.northdakotascores.net and QRF rankings.


For example

The #1 seed plays the lowest QRF ranking out of the 16 teams and so on.

1st Round

G1 #1 Hillsboro-CV vs Ellendale-E-K
G2 #8 Dickinson Trinity vs Central Dakota
G3 #4 Bishop Ryan vs Lisbon
G4 #5 Carrington vs Rugby

G5 #2 Langdon-E-M vs Milnor-NS 6
G6 #7 Kindred vs Harvey-Wells County
G7 #3 Velva vs Beulah
G8 #6 Bowman County vs Des Lacs-Burlington

Quarterfinals

G9 Winner of G1 vs Winner of G2
G10 Winner of G3 vs Winner of G4
G11 Winner of G5 vs Winner of G6
G12 Winner of G7 vs Winner of G8

Semi-Finals

G13 Winner of G9 vs Winner of G10
G14 Winner of G11 vs Winner of G12

State Championship Game

G15 Winner of G13 vs Winner of G14

I might be wrong. But like I said it's only an example.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:05 am

Sorenson23 wrote:I know they have the top four seeds based on QRF.

I don't think this is right. They have the region champs seeded 1-4 based on QRF.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3740
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Class B » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:15 am

Call me old school, but I'm having a hard time grasping the need for a QRF formula in the first place. I don't know what's to gain by having, say, Bowman County traveling 7 hrs to Langdon for a playoff game. Is that making things better? Bowman County (again for example) did everything they were asked to do up to that point but still gets "penalized". East/West format worked for the first ~20 yrs.
Class B
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm
Location: The Souris Valley

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 am

But people complained so they tried something new.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby scc » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 am

I would hope NDHSAA knows the full details of the formula. It doesn't have to be public, but the ones using it should know how it works.
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:24 am

scc wrote:I would hope NDHSAA knows the full details of the formula. It doesn't have to be public, but the ones using it should know how it works.


And I'm sure they do
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 am

scc wrote:I would hope NDHSAA knows the full details of the formula. It doesn't have to be public, but the ones using it should know how it works.


I don't understand why they would keep it secret, let teams know how it works so they can adjust their schedules if needed. I know in South Dakota their power points system isn't secret, and that's how they seed their tournaments.
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: 2018 Playoff Bracket

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am

The Schwab wrote:
scc wrote:I would hope NDHSAA knows the full details of the formula. It doesn't have to be public, but the ones using it should know how it works.


I don't understand why they would keep it secret, let teams know how it works so they can adjust their schedules if needed. I know in South Dakota their power points system isn't secret, and that's how they seed their tournaments.


It's a secret in MN (sorta) as well. There is a link somewhere on MN-scores page that explains the formula to an extent.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14344
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Next

Return to A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron