Playoff Prediction Thread

The teams in Class A

Re: Playoff Prediction Thread

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am

magic man wrote:So what you're saying is that even with the 10 missing freshmen, HCV still has about 10 - 15 more kids then OG and MVE?
If you think that doesn't matter, you're mistaken.

HCV is talented, no doubt.. But it helps when you can change your D-line every 2 plays, if needed. (Which is what I witnessed them do vs a couple of teams this year).

The Schwab wrote:
bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:
Rivershark wrote:I don't see any team from the West making it to the Championship game. The East will continue their streak.

Who do you see making the semifinals?

Hillsboro, Oak Groove, Trinity, Des Lacs, Velva, Beulah, Langdon, EEK

Hillsboro, Trinity, Beulah, EEK

Hillsboro, EEK

Hillsboro - reclassification worked out in their favor this year.

Couldn't agree more with that working in their favor. Stating the obvious...I watch teams like Oak Grove and Enderlin/MV dress 20 kids for a game & most kids play both ways. Tough to compete with a team that dresses double that. I am sure some Hillsboro kids play both ways but I would guess it's quite a few less than the others.

Would really like to see a rematch of EEK/Hillsboro.

I haven't seen any of the 3 teams play. I see that HCV has 44 players on their roster with 10 of them being freshman. I also see that Oak Grove and EMV both have 25 players on their roster with 2 freshman each. My question would be: How many freshman, if any, play major minutes for HCV? In my experience you don't see a lot of freshman contributing for a playoff football team. I could be way off on this, just an observation.

So what would you like to see? Add another class of football?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:54 pm

The most "intriguing" match up this week is EEk vs. Langdon. One thing Langdon doesn't get a ton of credit for is their defense. They gave up 44 ALL year! (that's 5 per game) I just don't see EEK scoring 20 against them. With that said, if the wind isn't blowing, I'll take Langdon in a blow out. If it is windy, this one could go either way but in low scoring fashion. If it is nice, I'll take Langdon 34-6.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm

The wind would definitely hurt Langdon more, but I also think that Langdon's run game is a little underrated. They have a power back, a speed back, and a quarterback who can run if need be. They also do so much with the screen game and quick passing that the wind won't be as big of factor as if all they threw were flys all day. Yes it would hurt their passing game a lot but I don't know if it is a death sentence.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby bball4 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:The most "intriguing" match up this week is EEk vs. Langdon. One thing Langdon doesn't get a ton of credit for is their defense. They gave up 44 ALL year! (that's 5 per game) I just don't see EEK scoring 20 against them. With that said, if the wind isn't blowing, I'll take Langdon in a blow out. If it is windy, this one could go either way but in low scoring fashion. If it is nice, I'll take Langdon 34-6.

As far as defense stops, the main opponent that comes to mind is Carrington. Langdon held them scoreless with some big talent running behind the ball. I didn't see that game, but I was surprised. I haven't seen many of their other opponents.
What little I have seen with EEK is they pull starters and get 2nd and 3rd string kids on the field as early as possible. Some of their scores might not be reflective of what they can do IMO. I watched the HWC game and several of their main players were out before the middle of the 3rd quarter. Maybe everyone is doing that and benches are just deep enough that it doesn't make a difference on the score board.

I was reading through some old 2016 threads and I think it was Flip who predicted EEK and Langdon would meet again in the 2017 playoffs (actually guessing semis, but wouldn't have matched up this year due to the changes).

HCV 36-12
Dickinson Trinity 28-14
Velva 12-8
Langdon 14-7
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Saturday, October 28th
G9: R2 #2 Carrington (8-1) @ R1 #1 (1) Hillsboro-Central Valley (9-0) Hillsboro
G10: R3 #2 Des Lacs-Burlington (8-1) @ R4 #1 (4) Dickinson Trinity (7-1) Trinity DLB missing starting running back or could be an upset
G11: R4 #2 (RV) Beulah (8-1) @ R3 #1 (3) Velva/Sawyer (9-0) Close one, fewer mistakes wins. Velva
G12: R1 #2 (5) Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (8-1) @ R2 #1 (2) Langdon/Edmore/Munich (9-0) Langdon in a good game.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:22 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:The wind would definitely hurt Langdon more, but I also think that Langdon's run game is a little underrated. They have a power back, a speed back, and a quarterback who can run if need be. They also do so much with the screen game and quick passing that the wind won't be as big of factor as if all they threw were flys all day. Yes it would hurt their passing game a lot but I don't know if it is a death sentence.

Agree 100%. I think Langdon wins either way, but it will be closer if the weather is not conducive to passing.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:12 am

I think the EEK vs. Langdon Area will be a good game regardless of weather. I know EEK lost to a very good HCV team. But, I heard that EEK played that game without their head coach. I wouldn't say that was why they lost the game. However, I do think playing a big game without their very good leader on the sidelines would make some level of difference. I liked Langdon when I watched them last year, and I know they are better this year. I think it will be a heck of a game.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 pm

d_fense wrote:I think the EEK vs. Langdon Area will be a good game regardless of weather. I know EEK lost to a very good HCV team. But, I heard that EEK played that game without their head coach. I wouldn't say that was why they lost the game. However, I do think playing a big game without their very good leader on the sidelines would make some level of difference. I liked Langdon when I watched them last year, and I know they are better this year. I think it will be a heck of a game.

Pretty sure Schiele was at the game when HCV rolled EEK.

HCV 30 - Carrington 8
Langdon Area 35 - EEK 24 (Bad weather/wind could swing this in EEK's favor - all things equal I think Langdon is the better team)
DT 26 - Deslacs 16
Velva 32 - Buelah 14
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thebohemian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 pm

HCV 24 -14
Langdon 30-12
Trinity 32-6
Beulah 28-26
Thebohemian
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Jeff Baranick » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Out west, Dickinson Trinity has been playing exceptionally well over the past two months after stumbling in its season-opener to Bowman County. I see the Titans defeating visiting DLB this Saturday by a couple of touchdowns at least. The more intriguing game in the quarterfinals will be Beulah @ Velva. The Aggies have been rolling over its competition in Region 3 all-season-long, and battered Hazen last week at home, 40-7. With the exception of its sub-par performance against Trinity three weeks ago--a 21-0 setback with five turnovers--the Miners have similarly blasted opponents this fall. When Beulah faced Hazen in the Coal Bowl in mid-September, it easily prevailed, 38-0. I really see the Beulah v. Velva matchup this Saturday a toss-up. It should be noted that Beulah is dealing with a couple of key injuries from last weekend that might tilt the contest toward Velva. But the Aggies might also be contending with player injuries this week that would even the playing field. I expect this showdown to go down to the wire!
Jeff Baranick
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EEDA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am

HCV 32-6
Trinity 24-8
EEK 20-16
Beulah 30-16
EEDA
NDPreps Starter

Postby steel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:18 pm

HCV by 20, Velva by 6, Trinity by 20, and Langdon by 12 if they can slow Gruneich down. Velva-Beulah the best game of the quarters.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 am

HCV over Carrington
Langdon over EEK
Trinity over DLB
Beulah over Velva
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:51 pm

The Schwab wrote:
magic man wrote:So what you're saying is that even with the 10 missing freshmen, HCV still has about 10 - 15 more kids then OG and MVE?

HCV is talented, no doubt.. But it helps when you can change your D-line every 2 plays, if needed. (Which is what I witnessed them do vs a couple of teams this year).

The Schwab wrote:
bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:
Rivershark wrote:I don't see any team from the West making it to the Championship game. The East will continue their streak.

Hillsboro, EEK

Couldn't agree more with that working in their favor. Stating the obvious...I watch teams like Oak Grove and Enderlin/MV dress 20 kids for a game & most kids play both ways. Tough to compete with a team that dresses double that. I am sure some Hillsboro kids play both ways but I would guess it's quite a few less than the others.

I haven't seen any of the 3 teams play. I see that HCV has 44 players on their roster with 10 of them being freshman. I also see that Oak Grove and EMV both have 25 players on their roster with 2 freshman each. My question would be: How many freshman, if any, play major minutes for HCV? In my experience you don't see a lot of freshman contributing for a playoff football team. I could be way off on this, just an observation.

Not necessarily a new class, but get rid of the ridiculous 10 team Class 2A (Increase to at least 14) and also get rid of the biased reduction of players based on whether or not they qualify for free and reduced lunch.

And if that's not something they want to do, then they need to look at the other male sports during that season and give some kind of reduction there. And while you're at it, look at the foreign exchange students, and give a reduction there as well.

That would be a great start.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 pm

magic man wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

The Schwab wrote:
bball4 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:
Barfly wrote:

Hillsboro, EEK

Not necessarily a new class, but get rid of the ridiculous 10 team Class 2A (Increase to at least 14) and also get rid of the biased reduction of players based on whether or not they qualify for free and reduced lunch.

And if that's not something they want to do, then they need to look at the other male sports during that season and give some kind of reduction there. And while you're at it, look at the foreign exchange students, and give a reduction there as well.

That would be a great start.

What about going from 4 classes to 3?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:12 pm

scc wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:What about going from 4 classes to 3?

No-brainer... We should have never gone to 4 classes in the first place.

Agree
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Don't agree
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:49 pm

I have never been able to understand the rationale for having 4 classes for 100 football teams and 2 classes for 120 basketball teams...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:I have never been able to understand the rationale for having 4 classes for 100 football teams and 2 classes for 120 basketball teams...

because football is more of a numbers game. How many states have equal or more classes of basketball than football?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Flip wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I have never been able to understand the rationale for having 4 classes for 100 football teams and 2 classes for 120 basketball teams...

because football is more of a numbers game. How many states have equal or more classes of basketball than football?

I should rephrase my statement. I have never been able to understand how we have 4 classes of football for 100 teams and 2 classes for basketball for 120 teams, one of those classes having 100 teams.

I understand that football is a numbers game, but basketball is also a numbers game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:09 pm

I understand that football is a numbers game, but basketball is also a numbers game.

not too the same extent though.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Flip wrote:

not too the same extent though.

For sustainable success you have to have numbers. I think that goes for either sport.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby JMHS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:41 pm

I thought that that this was a A football thread. Please air your basketball gripes on the appropriate thread. If anyone has complaints regarding the current configuration of basketball or football classification regulations, please contact the NDHSAA. Devils Lake got their way, if you gripe or whine long enough, you’ll get your way!
Last edited by JMHS on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMHS
NDPreps Starter

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Of course for both numbers help a ton. You have a greater pool to choose from, you have more bodies to rotate in, you have more competition for positions and playing time, and you have more options if you run into injuries/intelligibility/etc. Flip is of course right (it matters more in football). In basketball you fill 5 positions not 22 like in football (that is only offense-defense and no special teams). In varsity basketball you probably have 6 to 9 kids playing varsity minutes versus 15 to 20+ in football. So yes theoretically numbers matter more in football; however numbers are king in any sport except in the rare instances where an exceptional group of athletes comes together.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby JMHS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Since people insist on continuing this whinefest, in regards to football, in my opinion, eliminate AA and move all those teams to AAA. AA schools, for the most part, are either larger towns, or have the advantage of being a private school from a major North Dakota city, with all the advantages that involves. The next class should be all the remaining current A teams plus the next 8 teams currently playing 9-man. The rest can play 9-man. In my opinion, 6-man football, should be an option if no other alternatives exist.
Last edited by JMHS on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMHS
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to A