New Regions for 2017

The teams in Class A

Re: New Regions for 2017

Postby magic man » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Not every private school has these great advantages that are being talked about. And to have a multiplier in place for families/students that qualify for some kind of free/reduced lunch, because they more than likely won't play sports, is one of the dumbest things I've heard. (If that is the true reason)

If you have 50 boys, you have 50 boys.

Is there ever any consideration put into how many sports there are during a given season, that could take away from the numbers for a particular program?

Do they take away for the exchange students that might come to a particular school? They are more likely not to play a sport than a free and reduced lunch kid..

Sounds like this is something that is blatantly set up to attack the private schools.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoTheDistance » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:47 pm

magic man wrote:Is there ever any consideration put into how many sports there are during a given season, that could take away from the numbers for a particular program?

Good point. A very talented cross country runner (he placed high at state) didn't play football this year (last year he did both). This has to affect programs in other schools. Not sure how they would add a stipulation for that. Maybe most schools have both?
GoTheDistance
NDPreps Reserve

Postby magic man » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:16 pm

GoTheDistance wrote:
magic man wrote:Is there ever any consideration put into how many sports there are during a given season, that could take away from the numbers for a particular program?

Good point. A very talented cross country runner (he placed high at state) didn't play football this year (last year he did both). This has to affect programs in other schools. Not sure how they would add a stipulation for that. Maybe most schools have both?

I know that some of the "advantaged" private schools in Fargo, have several fall sports: Tennis, Football, Cross Country, & Soccer.. And when you're dealing with private schools, the pool is smaller to choose from.

I look at some of these numbers listed for the schools, and then look at their football rosters. If they are true, then some have a football turnout of around 95%.. (For example: listed with 60 boys, and 50 on their roster).
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:44 pm

The Schwab wrote:
d_fense wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Or if you want more categories:

0-10 multiply by 1.5
11-20 multiply by 1.25
21-30 multiply by 1
31-40 multiply by .75
41+ multiply by .5

So, what you are really saying is, if 100% of families is a district are average, (not free or reduced but not above average income) we should multiply their number by 1.5????? I thought your issue was with schools that had more high income families because of their perceived advantages.

The advantages that Shiloh has are not perceived, they are actual advantages.

I was not talking about Shiloh. I was referring to a district, Shiloh isn't a school district, it is just a school. I do believe Shiloh has advantages. If I was a parent of a male student there, I would raise heck over them not opting up to play 11 man. Why would you choose to compete at a lower level of competition when you have the numbers and athletes to compete at a higher division? And as a bonus, you get to play 2 additional players at all times.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby d_fense » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:20 pm

magic man wrote:
GoTheDistance wrote:

I know that some of the "advantaged" private schools in Fargo, have several fall sports: Tennis, Football, Cross Country, & Soccer.. And when you're dealing with private schools, the pool is smaller to choose from.

I look at some of these numbers listed for the schools, and then look at their football rosters. If they are true, then some have a football turnout of around 95%.. (For example: listed with 60 boys, and 50 on their roster).

PRFL has an adjusted enrollment of 97.71, and nearly 50 on their roster. That is much closer to 50% than 95%.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby magic man » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:55 am

It was an exaggeration, but the thing to remember is that weven are looking at the number of boys in 7th thru 10th grade... 7th and 8th aren't even on the HS roster.. so that percentage of boys in HS vs the number of players, is higher than 50%.....

I still think it would be interesting to see how many other sports these schools have to compete with during football season.

And again, if you're going to adjust for free/reduced lunch kids, because they are more than likely to not play sports, then the same has to be said for exchange students...

Why isn't there a stipulation for those boys?
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:22 am

how many foreign exchange students are some schools getting? Doesn't seem like that would make much difference.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:34 am

Flip wrote:how many foreign exchange students are some schools getting? Doesn't seem like that would make much difference.

I would guess those numbers are higher at private schools vs public, and I would estimate it would be close to the number of free and reduced lunch kids.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 pm

magic man wrote:
Flip wrote:how many foreign exchange students are some schools getting? Doesn't seem like that would make much difference.

I would guess those numbers are higher at private schools vs public, and I would estimate it would be close to the number of free and reduced lunch kids.

Please don't compare foreign exchange students to free and reduced meal students.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:
magic man wrote:

Please don't compare foreign exchange students to free and reduced meal students.

He was comparing the # of students not the actual students (as I agree with you, big difference). In the end, all this arguing won't lead to a change in the way the state does anything. Just good blog talk :)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Gunning4ya » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:40 am

The Schwab wrote:
magic man wrote:

The foreign exchange program does not allow kids to attend private schools. There is a student that is living with a family that has their children in a private but the exchange student has to attend the public program.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:23 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
magic man wrote:

The foreign exchange program does not allow kids to attend private schools. There is a student that is living with a family that has their children in a private but the exchange student has to attend the public program.

Well that must have changed then. When I was at Trinity (Dickinson) in the late 80s/early 90s, we had foreign exchange students every year. Usually from Spain, but we had one from Norway too.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:48 pm

Gunning4ya wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
magic man wrote:

That can't still be true...
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 pm

Even if they are allowed to have foreign exchange students...I've only seen foreign exchange students that are in 11 or 12th grade, they wouldn't factor in to the 7-10 enrollment number. I'm sure if they would be a sophomore or younger the NDHSAA wouldn't make you count them.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 pm

The Schwab wrote:Even if they are allowed to have foreign exchange students...I've only seen foreign exchange students that are in 11 or 12th grade, they wouldn't factor in to the 7-10 enrollment number. I'm sure if they would be a sophomore or younger the NDHSAA wouldn't make you count them.

Just to point out...OG has roughly 20 students attending the school from several exchange programs...several of the 20 are from Asia. I however do not know if these students are reflected in the 7-10 enrollment but I know a few are sophomores right now
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby madseason » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:47 pm

This is going to ruffle some feathers. Basketball 3 class. Hockey two class. There are enough teams to let the hockey coops dissolve. Let the programs have their HS teams? And if you are a private school you can not be 9 man. IMO
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Absolutely agree with you for 2 of the 3 (only reason I don't agree or disagree with the hockey is because I don't know much about it)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic man » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:32 pm

madseason wrote: And if you are a private school you can not be 9 man. IMO

What is the basis for this line of thinking?
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakQ2 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 pm

magic man wrote:

Because if you can recruit 9, you should be able to recruit 11 without any problem. :lol: :lol: :shock:
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:48 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:
magic man wrote:

Because if you can recruit 9, you should be able to recruit 11 without any problem. :lol: :lol: :shock:
Exactly!! :D
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bulldog_power » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:21 pm

I see posts about private schools recuriting all the time. I hope Everyone does realize that private schools
Have to follow the same exact rules as public schools. Including eligibility rules. The ndhsaa places all schools private and public in divisions based on enrollment, provided by DPI. If a schools enrollment places them in A division whether that's AAA or 9man why isn't that fair. There doesn't seem to be a more fair way to place schools. I don't like it when a private school comes and beats my team, but I don't automatically look at them and think they recruit because I don't think they are that much better than other teams we play. Maybe its the wrong thinking but I just assume if they were all recuriting they would win more
bulldog_power
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic man » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:48 pm

bulldog_power wrote:I see posts about private schools recuriting all the time. I hope Everyone does realize that private schools
Have to follow the same exact rules as public schools. Including eligibility rules. The ndhsaa places all schools private and public in divisions based on enrollment, provided by DPI. If a schools enrollment places them in A division whether that's AAA or 9man why isn't that fair. There doesn't seem to be a more fair way to place schools. I don't like it when a private school comes and beats my team, but I don't automatically look at them and think they recruit because I don't think they are that much better than other teams we play. Maybe its the wrong thinking but I just assume if they were all recuriting they would win more

What doesn't seem fair to me, is that schools are given an unfair advantage by only counting a male student as a half of a person. A person is a person.. And let's all be serious, this is a direct shot against private schools, when you full well know that most private schools are less-likely to have kids that qualify for the free-reduced lunch program.
magic man
NDPreps Starter

Postby Howie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:55 am

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that a public high school would get in trouble if "friends of said school" were "loaning" a kid money to pay their immigration fees to enter the US.
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Howie wrote:I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that a public high school would get in trouble if "friends of said school" were "loaning" a kid money to pay their immigration fees to enter the US.

Why would anyone get in trouble for that. You, or I may do what you or I choose to do with our own money. As a matter of fact, what you described sounds like a great idea and the government would probably even allow you to deduct it from your taxes if you are a little creative. Provided it was a gift and not a loan. Sounds like you are just full of sour grapes.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Howie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:43 pm

So a public high school tells a kid that they will pay his way into the country and he just happens to be 6'6" and freakishly athletic and no one would be up in arms about recruitment?
Howie
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to A