2016 Polls

The teams in Class A

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:50 pm

WEEK 2
Wednesday, September 7th

1. Larimore (5) 2-0 59
2. Park River-FL (7) 2-0 53
3. Velva/Sawyer (2) 2-0 46
4. Bishop Ryan 2-0 35
5. Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm 2-0 7
Others Receiving Votes: Hazen (1-1), Lewis & Clark/Our Redeemer's (2-0), Killdeer (1-1), Langdon (2-0), Oak Grove (2-0).
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Why isn't PRFL #1 with 7 first place votes? I would agree with the poll though. We'll see next week.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:27 pm

madseason wrote:Why isn't PRFL #1 with 7 first place votes? I would agree with the poll though. We'll see next week.


because it isn't determined by 1st place votes.
some of the non first place votes they received must be 3rd or lower.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:35 pm

I am excited to see how this season plays out. There is a lot of parity this year in 11A and I think a lot of the top teams will be in a dog fight each week.Whoever can make it to the end most healthy will probably pull it out. Especially region 2 with PRFL, Larimore, Harvey, and Langdon all being very tough. The rest of that region is improved and competitive as well.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Flip wrote:
madseason wrote:Why isn't PRFL #1 with 7 first place votes? I would agree with the poll though. We'll see next week.


because it isn't determined by 1st place votes.
some of the non first place votes they received must be 3rd or lower.
Hmm how do you put a team 3rd or lower when they have not lost a game in almost two years? Beat a AA team and a receiving votes team. Should still be #1 IMO.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:22 pm

madseason wrote:
Flip wrote:
madseason wrote:Why isn't PRFL #1 with 7 first place votes? I would agree with the poll though. We'll see next week.


because it isn't determined by 1st place votes.
some of the non first place votes they received must be 3rd or lower.
Hmm how do you put a team 3rd or lower when they have not lost a game in almost two years? Beat a AA team and a receiving votes team. Should still be #1 IMO.


My guess would be that it all boils down to margin of victory. I know PRFL has been really good the last few years and they still haven't lost but they played in two games that came down to the last 20 seconds. Those teams they beat were really good teams but might not be teams that have a ton of respect around the state right now because of what they have done the last few years (even though they should). I tend to lean towards undefeated defending champs being number one until they lose as well but I understand why it happened. PRFL will have a chance to prove themselves next week but both of those teams have really tough tests this week. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both lost.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby madseason » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:40 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:
madseason wrote:
Flip wrote:
madseason wrote:Why isn't PRFL #1 with 7 first place votes? I would agree with the poll though. We'll see next week.


because it isn't determined by 1st place votes.
some of the non first place votes they received must be 3rd or lower.
Hmm how do you put a team 3rd or lower when they have not lost a game in almost two years? Beat a AA team and a receiving votes team. Should still be #1 IMO.


My guess would be that it all boils down to margin of victory. I know PRFL has been really good the last few years and they still haven't lost but they played in two games that came down to the last 20 seconds. Those teams they beat were really good teams but might not be teams that have a ton of respect around the state right now because of what they have done the last few years (even though they should). I tend to lean towards undefeated defending champs being number one until they lose as well but I understand why it happened. PRFL will have a chance to prove themselves next week but both of those teams have really tough tests this week. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both lost.
You are right! :)
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm
Location: NE ND

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:55 pm

madseason wrote: Hmm how do you put a team 3rd or lower when they have not lost a game in almost two years? Beat a AA team and a receiving votes team. Should still be #1 IMO.

I don't know.

Polls are still 100% meaningless in ND FB. Granted I do like looking at them.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 pm

WEEK 3
Wednesday, September 14th

CLASS A
1. Larimore (9) 3-0 71
2. Park River-FL (5) 3-0 66
3. Velva/Sawyer (2) 3-0 53
4. Bishop Ryan 3-0 32
5. Killdeer 2-1 7
Others Receiving Votes; Langdon (3-0), Hazen (2-1), Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (2-1).
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Rivershark » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Why does the total number of 1st place votes change from week to week?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Rivershark wrote:Why does the total number of 1st place votes change from week to week?


Guessing not everyone gets their votes in every week.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:31 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:Why does the total number of 1st place votes change from week to week?


Guessing not everyone gets their votes in every week.


Some voters may not get them in on time...addition of voters each week also
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 am

I'm curious what will happen at the end of this week with the polls. I am sure that the loser of Park River-FL and Larimore will fall in the polls at least one spot but should they? In my opinion those are the top two teams in the state. I know it's the name of the game (if you lose you drop) but a one loss Larimore or Park River is not worse than the other ranked teams (or those receiving votes). Just got unlucky with scheduling basically, it happens all the time in all aspects but I'm curious to see how the voters will handle it.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 am

defensewinsgames wrote:I'm curious what will happen at the end of this week with the polls. I am sure that the loser of Park River-FL and Larimore will fall in the polls at least one spot but should they? In my opinion those are the top two teams in the state. I know it's the name of the game (if you lose you drop) but a one loss Larimore or Park River is not worse than the other ranked teams (or those receiving votes). Just got unlucky with scheduling basically, it happens all the time in all aspects but I'm curious to see how the voters will handle it.


Park River-FL hosts Larimore
Velva/Sawyer hosts Bishop Ryan

A poll will shift a bit but if games are close I can't see either loser falling out of the poll entirely
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Rivershark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
NodakQ2 wrote:
Rivershark wrote:Why does the total number of 1st place votes change from week to week?


Guessing not everyone gets their votes in every week.


Some voters may not get them in on time...addition of voters each week also


This adds to the fact that the polls don't mean a lot, especially if some people aren't voting every week.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Park River-FL hosts Larimore
Velva/Sawyer hosts Bishop Ryan

A poll will shift a bit but if games are close I can't see either loser falling out of the poll entirely


PR/Larimore winner will be 1, loser will be 3. VS/BR winner will be 2.

Similar note: if NDSU loses to Iowa this week I bet they aren't #1 in the next poll.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Ya I definitely get that but it is always kind of interesting to see how the voters handle it. Also I wonder if Larimore wins by a lot if its possible that Park River could slide down a few places or what might happen there. I don't think that will happen but the what ifs are always interesting.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Polls mean nothing....End of story! Because they are voted on by people that have not, and probably will not take the time to see all the teams play. This is high school football and until they are seeded and in the playoffs the polls are just something to beat their chest and brag about. Many of these good teams would be just average if you took just a couple of players off them. And injuries can happen at anytime. Get to the playoffs, healthy and playing good ball, then we can talk but until then I don't care who is ranked where, because they all have to play each other. The real season starts now in region play. Good luck to everyone. May your team make it through the season injury free and battle tested, late Oct is when we will find out "where the bear (you know what's) in the buckwheat." Until then enjoy the games and worry less about who's rated where and focus on what's great about playing under those Friday Night Lights!
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 pm
Location: corner of bumb#$&# and you got a pretty mouth

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Rivershark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:14 pm

Hard for me to believe that Velva earns the #3 spot beating teams that are a combined 0-9
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby lovwatchingsports » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 am

Rivershark wrote:Hard for me to believe that Velva earns the #3 spot beating teams that are a combined 0-9

And the other teams records against their opponents are? That way we have something to compare. Then its not just whining. And do you anything about Velva beside that?? Like what they have back? I don't.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby RattlerWebWonk » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Unless there are key injuries to ranked teams, I don't expect the polls to change much after week 4. Most of you jokers on this board are from out east, so I'll share what I've noticed in the west.

Despite the opinion that "age doesn't matter", it does. These are high school kids that are still developing. There's a difference between size and strength. Strength comes with age, and Ryan and Killdeer seem to be the 2 teams that have this luxury of size and strength. So far, Wyatt Carr of Hazen has looked like the best athlete in the west, so they can't be counted out.

Region 3 was a treat to watch last year...no great teams but 4 or 5 really good ones. Every week, there was going to be a "big game" or two. This year, not so much. It's Bishop Ryan and then the rest. Ryan has a big, strong front line and is dominated by seniors. If they can figure out how to defend the pass and are disciplined (a lot of penalties and turnovers in the first few games), they're my pick to make the DakotaBowl from the west.

If not Ryan, then I choose Killdeer.

Coach Dobitz has a nice bunch of lineman; big and strong, dominated by seniors. Dillan Jepsen does some good stuff especially at Linebacker. If we see a Killdeer/Ryan semifinal, it may sound like a couple bighorn sheep lining up and bashing heads play...after play...

The only other team I see crashing the party would be Hazen, because of the athleticism of Wyatt Carr. When you have an elite talent like Carr, you can sometimes throw conventional football wisdom out the window (see WN-G's Hunter Braaten circa 2012-2013). Here's hoping Carr stays healthy and out of trouble this year.

Does anyone have an unbiased opinion of the east???
RattlerWebWonk
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:00 pm

WEEK 4
Wednesday, September 21st

1. Larimore (16) 4-0 84
2. Bishop Ryan (1) 4-0 59
3. Killdeer 3-1 31
4. Park River-FL 3-1 29
5. Langdon 4-0 14
Others Receiving Votes: Velva/Sawyer (3-1), Hazen (3-1), Des Lacs-Burlington (3-1), Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulm (3-1), Northern Cass (3-1).
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13998
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:58 am

RattlerWebWonk wrote:
Does anyone have an unbiased opinion of the east???


Larimore looks to be head and shoulders above the rest of the east. They have a ton of size, a great running game, two studs in the Hofers, a middle of the road to good passing game, a stout defense with a really good front that can really get after the quarterback and mess things up in the run game, and are really senior dominated. They are short on numbers so injuries/ineligibility/kids getting in trouble might become an issue if any of those things occur but I believe they are the best team in the state right now.

Park River-FL would be my number 2 if they could ever get near healthy. They have had a rash of injuries that is killing them. Every week they roll out new starters on both sides of the ball because of injury. Johnson went down last week, IMO if he is healthy he is probably all state this year. They have one of the best players in the state in Hankey so I will never count them out and they have a lot of juniors/sophomores/even seniors who didn't play a lot last year who are trying to find their roles. This boils down to if they can get healthy and get some momentum before the playoffs.

Langdon looks pretty good with a good balance in the pass and run games and a fairly good defense. This team was a little bit of surprise based on what they have had the last few years but a lot of kids have been getting experience for years and it seems like that is paying off. I worry about them just a little because they haven't played a really tough team yet so this week against Park River will show us what kind of team they are I think.

Harvey is another team that will rumble with Langdon and Park River for the two spot in that region. They look to be pretty tough but will have a telling game against Larimore this week and I believe end the season with Park River so that could be for a playoff spot.

Milnor-NS has a really good quarterback and Sakry at Wide receiver has looked pretty good. This is another team that lacks a lot of depth so injuries might hurt down the road but should be a playoff team or close to it.

Ellendale/Edgeley-Kulum is a really tough team who continues to be the kind of team you don't want to see in the playoffs.

Oak Grove is tough and will be right there with Ellendale/EK and Northern Cass competing for that region championship.

Northern Cass kind of the same thing as Ellendale and Oake Grove. I'm not sure at this point there is a ton seperating those three teams so I am excited to see how things shake out as they work through region play.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 am

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:40 am

RattlerWebWonk wrote:Unless there are key injuries to ranked teams, I don't expect the polls to change much after week 4. Most of you jokers on this board are from out east, so I'll share what I've noticed in the west.

Despite the opinion that "age doesn't matter", it does. These are high school kids that are still developing. There's a difference between size and strength. Strength comes with age, and Ryan and Killdeer seem to be the 2 teams that have this luxury of size and strength. So far, Wyatt Carr of Hazen has looked like the best athlete in the west, so they can't be counted out.

Region 3 was a treat to watch last year...no great teams but 4 or 5 really good ones. Every week, there was going to be a "big game" or two. This year, not so much. It's Bishop Ryan and then the rest. Ryan has a big, strong front line and is dominated by seniors. If they can figure out how to defend the pass and are disciplined (a lot of penalties and turnovers in the first few games), they're my pick to make the DakotaBowl from the west.

If not Ryan, then I choose Killdeer.

Coach Dobitz has a nice bunch of lineman; big and strong, dominated by seniors. Dillan Jepsen does some good stuff especially at Linebacker. If we see a Killdeer/Ryan semifinal, it may sound like a couple bighorn sheep lining up and bashing heads play...after play...

The only other team I see crashing the party would be Hazen, because of the athleticism of Wyatt Carr. When you have an elite talent like Carr, you can sometimes throw conventional football wisdom out the window (see WN-G's Hunter Braaten circa 2012-2013). Here's hoping Carr stays healthy and out of trouble this year.

Does anyone have an unbiased opinion of the east???


I believe this quote is about a response I had in another post, where the question was asked "How do you beat a team full of seniors? I said " It's like saying how do you beat a team with a big offensive line, or speed, or height....age has little to do with it. Talent, hard work and dedication any day, all day." I still believe that. Most of my knowledge is Region 1 but just to look at that you'll see the three hardest running what I would call bruiser backs are all Juniors I believe in Hoggarth, Gruneich, and Wicka. One of the if not the arguably best lineman is a Sophomore from M-NS Nuestal. And I don't think anyone would argue that Hankey from PRFL was there last year as a junior. Now for an unbiased opinion of the region.

EEK- First because they have the style of game that translates well to the playoffs. Run hard, and play tough D. Can run it down your throat but have the ability to pass.

NC- I think they are battling injuries to key players if they can be healthy could be dangerous.

M-NS- Best quarterback in the region and Sakary hasn't played much since the Lisbon game and I don't think he will this week. Still they are putting up big numbers through the air. doesn't translate as well to playoff time.

OG- Definitely buying into the new coaching system and think they can only get better. Still not buying them as a competitor for the title, YET!

Car- I think this is a rebuilding year but they have good talent and a strong tradition. Will improve all season not sure its enough for this year.

Oakes- Young, Young, Young and yes it matters. Never said it didn't. I just said age can be overcome with talent and determination. They have a strong Freshman class and allot of them are getting valuable experience. Not their year but it could be soon.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 pm
Location: corner of bumb#$&# and you got a pretty mouth

Re: 2016 Polls

Postby d_fense » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Here are my thoughts on the two east regions. I’ll rank them and give my 2 cents on why I put each team where I do.
1. Larimore- I think they are the best team in the state. The only team that I think may be able to compete with them is Bishop Ryan. It is difficult to tell what type of team BR is because the west is so down.
2. EEK- I see them as the clear favorite in region 1. I know that Harvey gave them a real tight game (I have not been able to watch that game), but I just feel that EEK is the best on the next tier.
3. Park River FL- I know they are beaten up, but who isn’t??? MNS took some of the shine off their mystique and Larimore just destroyed any thought that they are above other good teams.
4. Harvey WC- this is going to be a big week for them. I think they are pretty physical and I’m putting them here in part because the game they game EEK.
5. Northern Cass- I know some will question me placing them before Langdon, and I understand that. The reason I put them here is, although most teams have to deal with injuries, NC was hit particularly hard early in the season. Vs. Langdon they were still playing without their best player and also lost their qb in the first half. He isn’t their best player but how many teams car survive if they lose their qb early in a game. PRFL and MNS are pretty good teams that would likely be winless if you took their qbs off their teams. NC did get their qb Nick Nelson back last week and Bohmart (their best player) started playing on offense again last week. I believe over the last couple games they have lost two pretty good players for the season in Aaseby and Slinger.
6. MNS- played a very entertaining game with NC that probably should have gone the other way. Sakry, a senior WR/LB who was off to a good start, may be back in another week or so. They have 2 other seniors who started 2 ways last year who are out for the season in Lautt (CB/WR) and McFarland (OL/DL). They are playing so many young players that they should improve significantly as the season continues.
7. Oak Grove- The Grovers may get into the playoffs this season. Watching their team and comparing it to the last couple years, the difference is night and day. They seem to have a plan which didn’t seem to be the case before. I like their rb Hoggarth a lot. One thing that I think really bodes well for them is that they can probably handle an injury or two better than most teams just because of the composition of their team.
8. Langdon- there isn’t any question that playing so many young boys over the last couple years is paying off for them now. Others on this site have expressed a little skepticism about their team this year despite their record and I agree. I throw out their game with NC because of what was happening with NC. I am more apt to look at the games vs Carrington and Rugby, which were close games with relatively down teams.
9. Carrington- I think most people are a little surprised with the Carrington season so far. They were very good last season despite not having a squad that great in numbers. I’m guessing their season so far is the result of a number of things, including the loss of a good coach, having a talented player not play due to concentrating on rodeo, and graduating some very talented boys.
10. Rugby- They have not yet won a game but they do have two 4 point losses and have a great chance at getting a win tomorrow night vs Lakota/Edmore/Dakota Prairie and I think they could pull an upset to end the year vs Langdon.
11. Lakota/E/DP- I think they have some decent talent. I like Sand their qb, their running backs run hard and although not elite are above average. They have some physical linemen. To be honest I think they would benefit from a change in leadership. Over the course of the last 5 or 6 years they seem to be undisciplined in actions, words, and dress on the sidelines and field.
12. Oakes- In 2 or 3 years Oakes will be at the top of the region. They are hurting for numbers this season (I heard they dressed only 14 in week 2 & over half of their players on their roster are freshmen). They are well coached and this will likely be a 2 year visit near the bottom of the east as I believe they have good numbers coming.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

PreviousNext

Return to A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests