PRFL/Killdeer rematch.

The teams in Class A

PRFL/Killdeer rematch.

Postby madseason » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:12 am

If this game is anything like last years (best game of the day IMO) should be a lot of fun. Can't wait. Looks to me like it's going to be a battle with the way Killdeer has been shutting out teams. And PRFL has had IMO the best defense all year. Thoughts?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: PRFL/Killdeer rematch.

Postby steel » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:58 am

I have to go with PRFL by 3 scores. Their speed will be amplified on turf. Killdeer is very physical but I think one dimensional. I believe Killdeer is susceptible to the pass which could spell trouble for them. I believe Killdeer would like to keep it low-scoring smashmouth style but PR can play both ways. Hoping for a good game. Killdeer definitely looking for a little revenge, that aspect favors them a little.
steel
NDPreps Starter

Postby captain-crunch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:42 pm

I agree with the above points but don't think it will make as much a difference as that. Killdeer is definitely more smashmouth this year but they do have some speed (not as much as last year). I believe it will come down to the linemen on both sides and whether either team shoots itself in the foot with costly penalties. I'm definitely hoping for a nail biter like last year.
captain-crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby captain-crunch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Of statistical interest:

Park River/Fordville-Lankin has outscored their last two opponents 84-22
Killdeer has outscored their last two opponents 76-0

Comparing the two teams and doing the math, that's a close scoring differential.
captain-crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby captain-crunch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 pm

And looking at the entire season for both teams:

Park River/Fordville-Lankin 522-84 (1 shut out)

Killdeer 419-115 (4 shut outs)
35 of the opponents points were in the first game (non-conference game against Trinity).
captain-crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rivershark » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Does it matter how many shut outs each team had? I'd dare to say that in over 75% of PRFL's games, JV players were in the game by the 2nd series in the 2nd half of the game. Give me some stats that mean something. Like I said before, PRFL is fast, strong and deep. I'm going to go as far as predicting that the JV team will get a couple downs in the 4th quarter.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby captain-crunch » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:58 pm

I think the shut out factor does matter because for both teams the JV was usually in for most of the 2nd half. By this time of year, most teams are a little banged up and those JV guys can be a big factor with earning experience through the season and then (many times) having to come in for a starter and make a big play because they are fresh.
captain-crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby PrepFBrules » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm

First off, I haven't watched Killdeer all year, so I have no opinion of them. However, having watched endless A & AA games in the past ten years, Park River ranks up there with many of the best (to include AA teams). Having visited with a couple PR parents, not only is the team loaded with talent, the coaches/players put in the time to win championships, i.e. summer 7 on 7, scouting etc. But most importantly, they just have one of those rare senior classes loaded with talent. Will be interesting to see if the P-R winning tradition can continue next year.
PrepFBrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby Fballfan29 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 pm

What I can understand from watching the Killdeer vs WNG game this year is they are totally different team than last year. They rely and good team play compared to relying on 3 key players like last year. I think PRFL shut those kids down last year which is why they ended up winning last year. Its going to be tough shut the mentality of a whole team down and that why I think Killdeer can win. Picking PRFL by 30+ points is ridiculous for a championship game. It will be close (with in 10 points) and very good game. I personally want Killdeer to win but think PRFL will come out on top 20-14.
Fballfan29
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfootball4444 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:33 pm

PRFL seems to have the total package and any other day could beat Killdeer but I have feeling Killdeer will sneak by with a win somehow.... Too BOLD of a prediction idk???. PRFl can win if they play physical and balanced on offense. Killdeers day though. Don't really care who wins, looking too watch a good game h.

Killdeer 20 - PRFL 19
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby hook » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:39 am

I was able to watch the Killdeer game last week since I was visiting family out there... they look physical! They really fly to the ball and play great team defense. On offense they can run the ball... they will really struggle if they are forced put the ball in the air.
From the small sample I have seen from both teams I would put my money on PRFL. The speed and ability to run and pass is going to be hard for Killdeer to handle. The Aggie D is also has to have one of the best linebacker cores in the state(A-AAA). However, if Killdeer makes a few big plays early and can make PRFL one dimensional and plays a perfect game they will pull off the win.
hook
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:04 pm

Fballfan29 wrote:What I can understand from watching the Killdeer vs WNG game this year is they are totally different team than last year. They rely and good team play compared to relying on 3 key players like last year. I think PRFL shut those kids down last year which is why they ended up winning last year. Its going to be tough shut the mentality of a whole team down and that why I think Killdeer can win. Picking PRFL by 30+ points is ridiculous for a championship game. It will be close (with in 10 points) and very good game. I personally want Killdeer to win but think PRFL will come out on top 20-14.

Winning by 30 points is not ridiculous for this group of players. Wait and see on Friday.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jimthometwins » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm

PRFL -20 Killdeer -15.
jimthometwins
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Fballfan29 wrote:What I can understand from watching the Killdeer vs WNG game this year is they are totally different team than last year. They rely and good team play compared to relying on 3 key players like last year. I think PRFL shut those kids down last year which is why they ended up winning last year. Its going to be tough shut the mentality of a whole team down and that why I think Killdeer can win. Picking PRFL by 30+ points is ridiculous for a championship game. It will be close (with in 10 points) and very good game. I personally want Killdeer to win but think PRFL will come out on top 20-14.

Where was this complaint when people were picking Killdeer to win by 40 and 50 last year?

I do think this game will be close but let's not have double standards on this site.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:51 am

RedDirtFan wrote:

Where was this complaint when people were picking Killdeer to win by 40 and 50 last year?

I do think this game will be close but let's not have double standards on this site.
I think that was just a west is going to win again like always thing. Killdeer doesn't score 20 PRFL scores more than 20. :D
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:33 am

captain-crunch wrote:I think the shut out factor does matter because for both teams the JV was usually in for most of the 2nd half. By this time of year, most teams are a little banged up and those JV guys can be a big factor with earning experience through the season and then (many times) having to come in for a starter and make a big play because they are fresh.
Yep that experience is more than people think. Good point.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby captain-crunch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Well it wasn't the game I expected but there were certainly a few things that came up that factored hugely in the game. My first observation was how flat Killdeer looked when they came out - not the usual pumped up team that I've seen over the years. They looked really stiff in the first quarter, very much like they were afraid to make any sort of mistake. Also, Killdeer's center reportedly tore his MCL and possibly ACL at the end of the first quarter allowing him to only play offense and not defense for the entire game. Haven't heard official report on that yet, but he's a senior - pretty tough on the last game of your High School Career to have an injury like that in such a big game. There were several other early reported injuries as well, hobbling a few starters. Going into the half with 16-8 looked like it would be a good game and that Killdeer started to wake up but Killdeer came out REALLY flat (like last year) early in the game and just couldn't wake up for the second half. Getting to the red zone 5 or 6 times with I believe 4 or 5 turn over on downs is not going to win a championship game. For all the hype I heard about PRFL I really wasn't THAT impressed with their performance and thought Killdeer had some tougher appearing opponents through the season (Hazen for one and despite Velva's poor game, they did appear at other games, to me, in some ways better than what I saw PRFL show). I think Killdeer was bit with the malaise bug from travelling again from the opposite end of the state. Last year they felt that was a big factor and tried to get to Fargo earlier this year. Apparently it didn't help. Congrats to PRFL again.
captain-crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:44 pm

captain-crunch wrote:Well it wasn't the game I expected but there were certainly a few things that came up that factored hugely in the game. My first observation was how flat Killdeer looked when they came out - not the usual pumped up team that I've seen over the years. They looked really stiff in the first quarter, very much like they were afraid to make any sort of mistake. Also, Killdeer's center reportedly tore his MCL and possibly ACL at the end of the first quarter allowing him to only play offense and not defense for the entire game. Haven't heard official report on that yet, but he's a senior - pretty tough on the last game of your High School Career to have an injury like that in such a big game. There were several other early reported injuries as well, hobbling a few starters. Going into the half with 16-8 looked like it would be a good game and that Killdeer started to wake up but Killdeer came out REALLY flat (like last year) early in the game and just couldn't wake up for the second half. Getting to the red zone 5 or 6 times with I believe 4 or 5 turn over on downs is not going to win a championship game. For all the hype I heard about PRFL I really wasn't THAT impressed with their performance and thought Killdeer had some tougher appearing opponents through the season (Hazen for one and despite Velva's poor game, they did appear at other games, to me, in some ways better than what I saw PRFL show). I think Killdeer was bit with the malaise bug from travelling again from the opposite end of the state. Last year they felt that was a big factor and tried to get to Fargo earlier this year. Apparently it didn't help. Congrats to PRFL again.

Captain-Crunch werent you telling us earlier that killdeer had 4 shutouts and bc of these shutouts JV kids got to play and would be able to step in for any starter and play ? Kinda contradicting yourself now. Killdeer couldnt hold PRFL jock straps this year and either could anyone else in A.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RedDirtFan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:37 pm

packers21 wrote:
captain-crunch wrote:Well it wasn't the game I expected but there were certainly a few things that came up that factored hugely in the game. My first observation was how flat Killdeer looked when they came out - not the usual pumped up team that I've seen over the years. They looked really stiff in the first quarter, very much like they were afraid to make any sort of mistake. Also, Killdeer's center reportedly tore his MCL and possibly ACL at the end of the first quarter allowing him to only play offense and not defense for the entire game. Haven't heard official report on that yet, but he's a senior - pretty tough on the last game of your High School Career to have an injury like that in such a big game. There were several other early reported injuries as well, hobbling a few starters. Going into the half with 16-8 looked like it would be a good game and that Killdeer started to wake up but Killdeer came out REALLY flat (like last year) early in the game and just couldn't wake up for the second half. Getting to the red zone 5 or 6 times with I believe 4 or 5 turn over on downs is not going to win a championship game. For all the hype I heard about PRFL I really wasn't THAT impressed with their performance and thought Killdeer had some tougher appearing opponents through the season (Hazen for one and despite Velva's poor game, they did appear at other games, to me, in some ways better than what I saw PRFL show). I think Killdeer was bit with the malaise bug from travelling again from the opposite end of the state. Last year they felt that was a big factor and tried to get to Fargo earlier this year. Apparently it didn't help. Congrats to PRFL again.

Captain-Crunch werent you telling us earlier that killdeer had 4 shutouts and bc of these shutouts JV kids got to play and would be able to step in for any starter and play ? Kinda contradicting yourself now. Killdeer couldnt hold PRFL jock straps this year and either could anyone else in A.

Don't let the West bias get to you. He'll realize how silly he sounds before too long.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:38 pm

LOL!!! captain Crunch has to be in some kind of dreamland? Even the Classy coach Dobitz said PRFL was too much! :lol:
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby titan80 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:22 am

Oofta. This is an interesting thought. I watched this game and PRFL was very very physical to the point it was just too much for KHS to do much on either side of the ball.
titan80
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Rivershark » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Sure, blame it on the traveling. All I can say is Killdeer was lucky the score was what it was. From what I saw, PRFL had the opportunities to make the score even more lopsided than it was. There is no way you can tell me that Velva was better than PRFL.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby CountryDelight » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:29 pm

The 3 best teams this year were from the East , PRFL ,Carrington and Larimore. I do believe this is true do to the fact that PRFL man handled Killdeer, where as they had more trouble with Carrington and Larimore, even if the scores didn't show it.
CountryDelight
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:46 pm

CountryDelight wrote:The 3 best teams this year were from the East , PRFL ,Carrington and Larimore. I do believe this is true do to the fact that PRFL man handled Killdeer, where as they had more trouble with Carrington and Larimore, even if the scores didn't show it.

The three best defenses were out East, at the very least. I do think both Larimore and Carrington could have beaten Killdeer, but I thought Killdeer's offense was very impressive and just happened to run into one of the best Class A defenses I've ever seen, and who knows how Killdeer's offense would have matched up with either Larimore or Carrington's defenses. Either way, these were the top 4 teams in the state. Larimore and Carrington both had stout defenses, too, so maybe the results would have been similar with smaller point differentials.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Return to A