I have an Idea.

The teams in Class A

I have an Idea.

Postby madseason » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:03 pm

When it comes down to the Quarter finals. If both #1s are still in it . The home #1 plays Friday night at 7 and the away #1 plays sat at two. This way we the FANS can spend our money at both places and watch both games??? I know for a fact a lot of PRFL fans would make the trip to Carrington to cheer Larimore on to a win. :D Region 2 Championship battle again, and PRFL another home game. You would think the powers that be could see the extra revenue incentive to this setup?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: I have an Idea.

Postby madseason » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Nobody thinks this is a good idea?? Come on!! Why is this a bad idea? Give me one reason? And Why are the Dakota Bowl games played on FRIDAY! Saturday makes more sense. A lot more people have the day off Saturday. Stupidity! IMO! Even if my team wasn't playing in the bowl I'd most likely have nothing better to do than go watch 4 great football games on a Saturday?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:37 pm

104 people have no opinion on what I just posted? SAD! Am I out of my TREE?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:16 pm

The idea is good, and the Friday games are a bit of a hassle. There should be two sets of night games, Friday night after work hours, and Saturday night. I assume the reason they play Fridays is to avoid complications with college games. UND played at home on the Saturday following the state championships last year. At the same time, those games could be scheduled for noon or 1pm starts and not conflict with two state games starting at, say, 6 or 7. The second game would start quite late but it's a weekend night, anyway.

To be completely honest, I also think the playoff games should be played at night under the lights barring very low temperatures, on Friday or Saturday night, but like your suggestion, even if the idea is good I don't think any changes will be made.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:40 pm

RedDirtFan wrote:The idea is good, and the Friday games are a bit of a hassle. There should be two sets of night games, Friday night after work hours, and Saturday night. I assume the reason they play Fridays is to avoid complications with college games. UND played at home on the Saturday following the state championships last year. At the same time, those games could be scheduled for noon or 1pm starts and not conflict with two state games starting at, say, 6 or 7. The second game would start quite late but it's a weekend night, anyway.

To be completely honest, I also think the playoff games should be played at night under the lights barring very low temperatures, on Friday or Saturday night, but like your suggestion, even if the idea is good I don't think any changes will be made.
Every year UND has a home game on that sat? How about the fargodome then? Each year the Bison and Fighting Hawks switch from home game to away to let the Best ND High school football players take their field?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:01 am

Did I say Fighting Hawks? I meant the NoDak Roughriders. :)
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:28 am

madseason wrote:
RedDirtFan wrote:The idea is good, and the Friday games are a bit of a hassle. There should be two sets of night games, Friday night after work hours, and Saturday night. I assume the reason they play Fridays is to avoid complications with college games. UND played at home on the Saturday following the state championships last year. At the same time, those games could be scheduled for noon or 1pm starts and not conflict with two state games starting at, say, 6 or 7. The second game would start quite late but it's a weekend night, anyway.

Every year UND has a home game on that sat? How about the fargodome then? Each year the Bison and Fighting Hawks switch from home game to away to let the Best ND High school football players take their field?

No no no, not every year. I was just using last year as an example.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:42 am

I would like the state games to be moved to Saturday. All for it. Some people seem to have an issue with morning starts at the Dakota Bowl. I am not one of them. I have not spoke with a player or coach who played in the first game that had anything negative to say about the experience.

I don't really care for moving quarter final games to Friday night. I would like games to be spaced out on Saturday. How about a 10:00 Am start in Carrington followed by a 3:00 Pm start in Park River? I am definitely on of the people that would try to make a couple games every Saturday during the playoffs if it would be possible to make more than one game.
Last edited by d_fense on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby madseason » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:55 am

d_fense wrote:I would like the state games to be moved to Saturday. All for it. Some people seem to have an issue with morning starts at the Dakota Bowl. I am not one of them. I have not spoken with a player or coach who played in the first game that had anything negative to say about the experience.

I don't really care for moving quarter final games to Friday night. I would like games to be spaced out on Saturday. How about a 10:00 Am start in Carrington followed by a 3:00 Pm start in Park River? I am definitely on of the people that would try to make a couple games every Saturday during the playoffs if it would be possible to make more than one game.
Not a bad idea. I know I would go to both games. :D
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfootball4444 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 pm

Or at least have the semis on a live stream webcast with different times????
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby RattlerWebWonk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 pm

madseason wrote:Nobody thinks this is a good idea?? Come on!! Why is this a bad idea? Give me one reason?

Unfair scouting/preparation advantage to the team that plays Friday night. It's amazing how much additional prep work can be done in one day...not to mention an extra day of rest for the players. This is NOT a good idea.

As for having the Dakota Bowl on a Saturday, that I'll go along with.
RattlerWebWonk
NDPreps Starter

Postby caserace0710 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:01 am

I'll put my two cents worth into this.

I think that the host school should choose if they play on Friday night or on Saturday afternoon/evening through the quarterfinal round with field conflicts (only in certain cases) taken into account.

The semifinal round would be played on Saturday at a neutral site for 9-man and Class A teams and at the higher seed for AA and AAA. The designated home team for the neutral site games would be the same as now (higher seed or region number based on year if like seed).

Now for the Dakota Bowl. I agree with madseason that it should be on a Saturday, unless NDSU has a home game or other scheduling conflicts at the Fargodome, then it would be played on Friday. Since there are only four games, I would keep the Dakota Bowl as a one day event. The thing that I would change though is the scheduling format. I would format it kind of like Michigan's state final format with two different sessions with one session being the smallest and largest divisions with the other two being the second session. I would also move the first game back from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. For example:

Odd years
10:00 AM: 9-Man Championship Game
1:00 PM: AAA Championship Game
4:30 PM: A Championship Game
7:30 PM: AA Championship Game
Even years
10:00 AM: A Championship Game
1:00 PM: AA Championship Game
4:30 PM: 9-Man Championship Game
7:30 PM: AAA Championship Game

There is my opinion on the format of the playoffs... :wink:
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 pm

caserace0710 wrote:I'll put my two cents worth into this.

I think that the host school should choose if they play on Friday night or on Saturday afternoon/evening through the quarterfinal round with field conflicts (only in certain cases) taken into account.

The semifinal round would be played on Saturday at a neutral site for 9-man and Class A teams and at the higher seed for AA and AAA. The designated home team for the neutral site games would be the same as now (higher seed or region number based on year if like seed).

Now for the Dakota Bowl. I agree with madseason that it should be on a Saturday, unless NDSU has a home game or other scheduling conflicts at the Fargodome, then it would be played on Friday. Since there are only four games, I would keep the Dakota Bowl as a one day event. The thing that I would change though is the scheduling format. I would format it kind of like Michigan's state final format with two different sessions with one session being the smallest and largest divisions with the other two being the second session. I would also move the first game back from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM. For example:

Odd years
10:00 AM: 9-Man Championship Game
1:00 PM: AAA Championship Game
4:30 PM: A Championship Game
7:30 PM: AA Championship Game
Even years
10:00 AM: A Championship Game
1:00 PM: AA Championship Game
4:30 PM: 9-Man Championship Game
7:30 PM: AAA Championship Game

There is my opinion on the format of the playoffs... :wink:
I don't like the two Sessions unless your ticket is good for both. The Hockey region tourneys were split and I think that hurts attendance for all the games. They charge enough IMO that if you want to watch all four games you should be able to without having to pay twice. I also think the HS hockey tournament 17 dollars I think it was last year 12 for students is crazy!! No wonder attendance is way down. Charge ten and 6 and people who don't have a dog in the fight might go? Probably would even out on the money, and more people for a better atmosphere. A neutral site Halfway between each town at the best field. That would get more people to the games. Not a bad idea.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:21 pm

I would think that a neutral site would hurt attendance. Family and die hards will always go to the games. It doesn't matter if it is 30 minutes or 3 hours away. Taking the game from a home site will eliminate all the people that go who have some interest but aren't about to drive to watch a game. It would limit the number of students who attend because some parents just are not comfortable with a vehicle full of kids out on their own. Personally I put on an embarrassing number of miles traveling to games and it likely will never change. But with issues involved with travel such as tragedies which recently occurred to Coach Enget and the high school basketball players last winter, is there any good reason to have everyone travel to a game before the state championship?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby madseason » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:49 pm

d_fense wrote:I would think that a neutral site would hurt attendance. Family and die hards will always go to the games. It doesn't matter if it is 30 minutes or 3 hours away. Taking the game from a home site will eliminate all the people that go who have some interest but aren't about to drive to watch a game. It would limit the number of students who attend because some parents just are not comfortable with a vehicle full of kids out on their own. Personally I put on an embarrassing number of miles traveling to games and it likely will never change. But with issues involved with travel such as tragedies which recently occurred to Coach Enget and the high school basketball players last winter, is there any good reason to have everyone travel to a game before the state championship?
The people that want to see the game will show up even if it was in tim buck to :D
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:13 pm

madseason wrote:
d_fense wrote:I would think that a neutral site would hurt attendance. Family and die hards will always go to the games. It doesn't matter if it is 30 minutes or 3 hours away. Taking the game from a home site will eliminate all the people that go who have some interest but aren't about to drive to watch a game. It would limit the number of students who attend because some parents just are not comfortable with a vehicle full of kids out on their own. Personally I put on an embarrassing number of miles traveling to games and it likely will never change. But with issues involved with travel such as tragedies which recently occurred to Coach Enget and the high school basketball players last winter, is there any good reason to have everyone travel to a game before the state championship?
The people that want to see the game will show up even if it was in tim buck to :D

Exactly. So why have it at a neutral site? There isn't a single up side to it, is there? More travel, less revenue, greater expenses, fewer fans, who will feed teams after the game....
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby madseason » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Yea Neutral site not an option. How about being able to watch both quarterfinal games in the same day? Should be possible? Eastern North Dakota is like 3 hours apart? Do able?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby caserace0710 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm

madseason wrote:Yea Neutral site not an option. How about being able to watch both quarterfinal games in the same day? Should be possible? Eastern North Dakota is like 3 hours apart? Do able?

I think host teams should be able to decide if they want to play on Friday or Saturday (unless they do already). That would be an amazing football day if you could watch two quarterfinal games in one day. Even better would be three in one weekend regardless of division.
http://northdakotahsfootball.altervista.org
North Dakota High School Football historical information since 1975
caserace0710
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:00 pm

This time of the year, need to play in the afternoon. This year is not a usual year. I remember the Harvey vs Velva game at night after the MSU game. minus 10 at game time, no sun, minus 20 by games end. Not a lot of fans.

Scouting, would be favoring the team that plays first. They would only have to scout one team. And both teams of the late game would have to go. And yes the exchange tapes but nothing like watching the team live.

So this will never happen.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby HammerTime » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:07 pm

I think you overestimate the viewership of ND High school football. To say enough people are willing to travel great distances to see No.1 seeds play in the Quarterfinals (Which they are already in thanks to their bye) is a bit exaggerated. And then you add on the number of people watching NDSU and UND football on saturdays, it stretches the number of Class A football fans pretty thin, a bit too thin to cause a change like that in scheduling.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:05 am

HammerTime wrote:I think you overestimate the viewership of ND High school football. To say enough people are willing to travel great distances to see No.1 seeds play in the Quarterfinals (Which they are already in thanks to their bye) is a bit exaggerated. And then you add on the number of people watching NDSU and UND football on saturdays, it stretches the number of Class A football fans pretty thin, a bit too thin to cause a change like that in scheduling.
Maybe a few to NDSU but have you seen the SAD fan base for UND What is up with that. And everyone leaves at halftime???
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to A