Playoff System - Is this the best setup?

The teams in Class A

Re: Playoff System - Is this the best setup?

Postby d_fense » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:36 am

Rivershark wrote:Does anyone know why the semi final games are not held at neutral sites? It hasn't always been like this. Just wondering when it changed and why?

I don't ever recall neutral sites. I can't see why you would ever want a neutral site and how it would work. There is a lot of work that goes into hosting a playoff game. The field alone takes many hours to get ready, if it is a natural surface. So if you are going to look for a neutral site, you'll have to find someone willing to undertake the task.

I personally don't think there is any such thing as home fiueld advantage in high school football. I've never been to a high school game where noise has been an issue. A field is a field. I've never had a player say someone else had an advantage because they were used to a particular field. And a road trip can be an advantage. If managed right it can be a team building experience that makes your team play better.

The only time I can see home field being an advantage is in a place like Linton (and I'm sure their are a couple others) where both teams are on the same sideline. A change like that can be an issue if your team is not used to it because of differences in communication and substitutions when the play can be 50 yards down the field from your sideline.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby madseason » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:18 am

d_fense wrote:
Rivershark wrote:Does anyone know why the semi final games are not held at neutral sites? It hasn't always been like this. Just wondering when it changed and why?

I don't ever recall neutral sites. I can't see why you would ever want a neutral site and how it would work. There is a lot of work that goes into hosting a playoff game. The field alone takes many hours to get ready, if it is a natural surface. So if you are going to look for a neutral site, you'll have to find someone willing to undertake the task.

I personally don't think there is any such thing as home fiueld advantage in high school football. I've never been to a high school game where noise has been an issue. A field is a field. I've never had a player say someone else had an advantage because they were used to a particular field. And a road trip can be an advantage. If managed right it can be a team building experience that makes your team play better.

The only time I can see home field being an advantage is in a place like Linton (and I'm sure their are a couple others) where both teams are on the same sideline. A change like that can be an issue if your team is not used to it because of differences in communication and substitutions when the play can be 50 yards down the field from your sideline.
I have to agree. The only Advantage is not wanting to lose in front of your own fans. (which will be more) Noise I don't think is an issue. I think you should get home field if you have the better record.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RedDirtFan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:59 am

I do think it's an advantage for the home team when the playing field is in poor condition and they're used to adjusting to it. Nothing huge, though.
RedDirtFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfan70 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:36 am

d_fense wrote:

Depending how far you want to look back, but i know at least 9 man and 11A semi final games in the east used to be held in the FargoDome.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Back in the late 90s, they experimented with semis in the Fargodome for a couple of years. It seems like there was also a year when an early blizzard pushed all the games back a week and they used the Fargodome to get in all the semis. In the end, most schools did not like it, especially the western teams. Why should Trinity and Watford City travel all the way to Fargo to play each other when the weather is good and both fields are in good shape? Plus, then the winner and their fans have to turn around and make another trip back east the next week for the championship game. Put a dome in western North Dakota and then the answer might change.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:39 pm

I like the way South Dakota does the power point system (49 points if you beat a .750 team, 47 for a .500 team and so on). They use it to seed the final 8 (for the first round you play within your region). Now this can lead to teams having to drive 6 hours to play a playoff game (Harding County is in the far northwest corner and routinely has to go to the far eastern side of the state for the semi finals). If you truly want the best 4 teams matching up in the semi finals you need to cross bracket. I see both sides of the issue. I like the East vs West aspect, but I also like the "whole state" idea as well. I don't see high school activities changing though, they are all about money. One matchup this weekend on the 9 man side puts Mott-Regent against Hettinger-Scranton, very close towns with a long, storied rivalry no matter what the sport. Each side will bring a ton of fans to the game equaling a very large profit for NDHSAA. I don't think you'd get the same type of turn out if lets say Mott-Regent had to travel to Thompson.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to A