Injuries

The teams in Class A

Injuries

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 am

I don't know if its fact but number of kids getting hurt and receiving concussions seem to be up this year. I know on our team we have number of concussions this year and several players that are done for the year. I also have been hearing of other teams dealing with concussions and some of the games I have seen or seen on tape of players have been tackling or hitting with their helmet to helmet. Referees also have thrown penalties but very few I have heard of game disqualifying. I have couple of questions on this matter and I don't know but do schools report injuries to activities association after games. If they do are these injuries reviewed by the athletic association and are games reviewed by association see if referees calls were appropriate or were missed when players were injured. I think that review would be appropriate because if players are getting away hurting other players without serious consequences the practices are going to continue. I am sure what I have said is going to be taken wrong way but if were going to keep football game where the public will accept it as safe sport these are things were going to start talking about. The sport has changed at the highschool level with kids getting bigger and stronger through more weight training and you still have young kids that emotions get high and don't think what consequences can be to others. I also don't want to lay this all on the referees because its big field and hard to see everything happening on the field but some help from game videos might help them in controlling players from unsafe actions. I at least think we need to be doing everything possible to keep players from getting hurt. I would appreciate other peoples thought on this I am not trying to attack anyone but just thinking we need to be discussing anything that will make game saver and fair to everyone.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Injuries

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:44 am

Great post. I think more oversight is warranted. I continue to see kids lead with their helmets, which needs to stop. I think 99% of the time that there is no ill intent involved. But nonetheless, we need our players to tackle properly in order to protect themselves and their opponents. This starts with their coaches but that doesn't seem to be enough anymore.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:14 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Great post. I think more oversight is warranted. I continue to see kids lead with their helmets, which needs to stop. I think 99% of the time that there is no ill intent involved. But nonetheless, we need our players to tackle properly in order to protect themselves and their opponents. This starts with their coaches but that doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

Agree 100% but where I struggle is on the enforcement side of things. I have no problem with throwing the flag, where I have a problem is an ejection. In my opinion, it it hard to disqualify a player at any level for "targeting" without replay. In football, many times things look worse in real time than they actually are. This is evidenced by what you see in the NFL and D1... I think I've seen just as many targeting calls have the disqualification get over turned as I have seen stick. Unless you can see something that was blatantly intentional, I don't think you can start disqualifying kids for "targeting" based on where a referee thinks his head is on a tackle.

Pretty hard to do any of this after the fact as well.

Problem? YES
Easy enforcement solution? NO
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm

NodakQ2 wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Great post. I think more oversight is warranted. I continue to see kids lead with their helmets, which needs to stop. I think 99% of the time that there is no ill intent involved. But nonetheless, we need our players to tackle properly in order to protect themselves and their opponents. This starts with their coaches but that doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

Agree 100% but where I struggle is on the enforcement side of things. I have no problem with throwing the flag, where I have a problem is an ejection. In my opinion, it it hard to disqualify a player at any level for "targeting" without replay. In football, many times things look worse in real time than they actually are. This is evidenced by what you see in the NFL and D1... I think I've seen just as many targeting calls have the disqualification get over turned as I have seen stick. Unless you can see something that was blatantly intentional, I don't think you can start disqualifying kids for "targeting" based on where a referee thinks his head is on a tackle.

Pretty hard to do any of this after the fact as well.

Problem? YES
Easy enforcement solution? NO

Well said, totally agree.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby HammerTime » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:21 pm

I completely agree. I think a large part of where this leading with the helmet stuff comes from is practice. During practices when I played, I was headbutted many times by seniors and juniors. And the coaches don't notice. When all those hits add up, all it takes is one bad hit during a game to end someone's season.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PizzaRoll » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:54 pm

There is a great video by the Seattle Seahawks that shows great tackling form and goes against the norm of getting your head across the body. Go to Youtube and search Seahawks tackling video. They get their technique from rugby players, who play without helmets with less concussions. We have only had one this year, since we changed our tackling style, and it was a minor one.
PizzaRoll
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Great post and I do believe there needs to be consequences on some of these helmet to helmet hits. True enough that ejections probably won't take place during game time as hs football doesn't have replay. But with all these teams having HUDL accounts you can look at things after games. If you can blatantly see a kid (or team for that matter) tackling that way then there needs to be something done about it. Maybe issue a warning for the 1st time, ejection there after. Its not an easy problem to solve but I do think more things need to be done about it. Typically I hate the NDHSAA stepping in on things but I think this is something that needs to be addressed.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HammerTime » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:08 am

This is something that needs to be handled. While I believe this shoud be handled by coaches and individual programs, one only has to take a look at the NFL to see how our nations first attempts at stopping unnecessary head injuries are working out. We need a plan of action for this. Coaches need to start dealing with bad approaches to tackling and the NDHSAA needs to have a plan of action in case the injuries do not stop.

I should mention that I am not pro-NDHSAA. I hate what they are doing in the area of spectator regulations. Banning storming the court after a big game, revving your engine when your team scores a touchdown and the unfollowed requirement that all fans sit in their seats are all examples as to why I am not for NDHSAA involvement. But when coaches do not respond to what feels like a higher number of injuries( I haven't checked the stats on this yet), the NDHSAA becomes a necessary evil.
HammerTime
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to A