all state

The teams in Class A

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:56 pm

CLASS A PREP FOOTBALL: Thirteen from area named to all-state team
Herald Staff Report
Published Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Larimore, coming off an undefeated regular season and a Region 2 title, has five players on the North Dakota Class A high school all-state football team.
All-staters for the Polar Bears, who finished 8-1 after losing in the state playoff quarterfinals, are Karl Hager, Sam Hager, Danny Ferdon, Tim Schempp and James Sletten.

Thirteen area players are on the Class A all-state team, as selected by the North Dakota High School Coaches Association. Other area picks are Riley Beck, David Olson and Drew Wold of Langdon-Munich, Blaine Kemp and Mitch Ford of Cavalier, Jordan Flaten and Troy Dale of Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg and Paul Meyer of North Border.

Here's a look at the area all-state picks.

Cavalier

-- Mitch Ford, second-team running back: The junior had 765 rushing yards on his 187 carries.

-- Blaine Kemp, first-team linebacker: The senior was in on 85 tackles, 52 of them unassisted.

Langdon-Munich

-- Riley Beck, first-team running back: The junior rushed for 1,140 yards on 158 carries (7.2 average), scoring 17 touchdowns, and also picked up 137 yards and a touchdown on four receptions.

-- David Olson, second-team offensive lineman: The senior anchored a line in an offense that averaged 27.4 points and 290.6 yards in total offense per game.

-- Drew Wold, second-team linebacker: The senior was in on 112 tackles, including 12 for losses. He had two interceptions and a sack.

Larimore

-- Danny Ferdon, second-team receiver: The senior averaged 17.7 yards per catch, gaining 655 yards on his 37 receptions and scoring eight touchdowns.

-- Karl Hager, second-team running back: The sophomore had 848 yards on 150 carries (5.7 per-carry average), scoring 11 touchdowns. He also caught 12 passes for 196 yards and two TDs.

-- Sam Hager, first-team defensive back: The senior was a ballhawk, intercepting six passes and recovering two fumbles. He was in on 32 tackles.

-- Tim Schempp, first-team defensive lineman: The senior made 68 tackles, including 12 for losses. He had 2½ sacks.

-- James Sletten, second-team defensive lineman: The senior was in on 65 tackles, including 17 for losses. He had 2½ sacks.

May-Port-C-G

-- Troy Dale, second-team linebacker: The junior was in on 54 tackles, including 10 for losses, and had two sacks.

-- Jordan Flaten, first-team running back: The senior gained 1,172 yards on 188 carries (6.3 per-carry average) and added another 235 yards on 18 receptions. He scored 15 touchdowns.

North Border

-- Paul Meyer, first-team offensive lineman: The senior anchored the line for an offense that averaged 22 points and 248.8 yards per game.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:59 pm

State champion Aggies top all-state team
By MICHAELWEBER
Bismarck Tribune
It is said that defense wins championships.

Defense was a big key for the Velva Aggies this season as they rolled to their fourth consecutive Class A state football championship. So it comes as no surprise that the Aggies were well-represented on the defensive side on this season's all-state team.

Three of the four Velva players named to the first team are defenders. The Aggies, who have won 28 straight games, also put one defensive player and one offensive player on the second team.

"Defense was a vital part of our team and it really stepped up in the playoffs," said Velva coach Larry Sandy, whose team defeated Linton-HMB 33-8 last Friday for the Class A state championship. "It was a defense based on the speed and quickness of the kids. It put a lot of pressure on the other team, gave up very few big plays and gave our offense good field position."

Heading the Velva honorees is defensive back Justin Mack, who had a team-high eight interceptions this season. Lineman Aaron Esquibel and linebacker Ben Duchsherer, Velva's leading tackler, also made the first team. Linebacker Preston Bauer was a second-team selection.

Velva's all-purpose player Eric Henke was a first-team selection at receiver. The senior finished the season with 631 yards rushing, 498 receiving and 520 returning kicks. He also scored 24 touchdowns, 14 via the pass.

"Eric was such a dynamic player," Sandy said. "We were able to move him around in our offense and opposing teams had to pay close attention to him. Without a doubt, he was our big-play guy."

Henke was a first-team pick at defensive back last year.

Running back Alex Schmaltz was named to the second team. He led the Aggies with 830 yards rushing.

State runner-up Linton-HMB had two first-team picks - offensive lineman Ryan Bosch and defensive back Bryce Weber (eight interceptions). Weber was a second-team pick in 2005.

Running back Bryan Moch, defensive lineman Craig Schatz and linebacker Mike Heying made the second team.

"Ryan, Bryce, Bryan and Mike are seniors and that's an awful lot of leadership there," Linton-HMB coach Dan Imdieke said. "And Craig had a big year on the D-line as a junior. They all contributed to a lot of wins over the past couple of years. They're very deserving of all-state."

Playoff semifinalist Harvey was represented on the first team by quarterback Brock Sandy, the Class A senior athlete of the year, wide receiver Bryan Sandy and defensive lineman Mike Schild.

Killdeer placed two players on the first team - offensive lineman Zach Gaugler and defensive lineman Amos Buehner.

Grant County-Flasher receiver Matt Achtenberg was named to the second team.

First-team

Offense

Quarterbacks - Brock Sandy, Harvey and Josh Asp, Hankinson-FCT.

Running backs - Riley Beck, Langdon-Munich; Jordan Flaten, Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg and Brandon Roehrich, Stanley-Powers Lake.

Receivers - Eric Henke, Velva; Bryan Sandy, Harvey and Jamie Mauch, Hankinson-FCT

Line - Paul Meyer, North Border; Adam Yoney, Northern Cass; Ryan Bosch, Linton-HMB and Zach Gaugler, Killdeer.

Defense

Line - Tim Schempp, Larimore; Mike Schild, Harvey; Cole Duncan, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and Aaron Esquibel, Velva.

Linebackers - Blaine Kemp, Cavalier; Ben Duchsherer, Velva; Amos Buehner, Killdeer and A.J. Pfeifer, Maple Valley-Enderlin.

Backs - Sam Hager, Larimore; Eric Burgad, Northern Cass; Justin Mack, Velva and Bryce Weber, Linton-HMB.

Second Team

Offense

Running backs - Mitch Ford, Cavalier; Karl Hager, Larimore; Chris McKay, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood; Bryan Moch, Linton-HMB and Alex Schmaltz, Velva.

Receivers - Danny Ferdon, Larimore and Matt Achtenberg, Grant County-Flasher.

Line - David Olson, Langdon-Munich; Ryan Thornberg, Williams County; Jesse Wahl, Hankinson-FCT; Brock Haase, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and Gerard Gustafson, Stanley-Powers Lake

Defense

Line - James Sletten, Larimore; Craig Schatz, Linton-HMB and Ben Nordloef, Stanley-Powers Lake.

Linebackers - Drew Wold, Langdon-Munich; Troy Dale, Mayville-Portland-CG; Kenny Keller, Harvey; Preston Bauer, Velva; Mike Heying, Linton-HMB and Josh Jarmin, Stanley-Powers Lake.

Backs - Levi Weber, New Rockford-Sheyenne; Tyler Lalim, Williams County, and Jake Hoffert, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 pm

how does cavalier get two all=staters,  they had a very bad team and year.
thundastruck.

Postby PA42 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:00 pm

if i would have just seen the record i would agree with you but i saw both of these players and both of them deserve to be on the all-state list. Blaine Kemp had an amazing season, just a really solid linebacker in general. ford made a name for himself last year and followed it up with another fine year.
PA42

Postby ndfan » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:53 am

Three four years ago those guys would probably be lucky to see playing time on JV in Cavalier. I saw them play about four or five times this year, they aren't great players but they aren't terrible players. Just no supporting cast and the line was a mess. I Think it was the first time in a looooooong time I didn't see a Cavalier offensive or defensive linemen make all state. Could possibly be that it was a real down year talent wise in class A that got them all state honors.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:37 am

i was a little suprised not to see luke lorenz's name not on the list.
PA42

Postby thundastruck. » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:55 pm

horne98 wrote:i was a little suprised not to see luke lorenz's name not on the list.

kidding?
thundastruck.

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:27 pm

horne98 wrote:i was a little suprised not to see luke lorenz's name not on the list.

Definsevely right? Because Lorenz isn't an all-state QB in IMO. Maybe defensive back but not a all-state quarterback.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:16 pm

he is underrated as a quarterback. A heck of an arm and when he had fyre, braten, and gerzsewski he really did a good job of throwing it into a tight window. He started using his legs this season. But he is a very good d-back as well.
PA42

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:38 pm

horne98 wrote:he is underrated as a quarterback. A heck of an arm and when he had fyre, braten, and gerzsewski he really did a good job of throwing it into a tight window. He started using his legs this season. But he is a very good d-back as well.

I played against him and I don't know. His arm really didn't impress me I guess. Defensively I was scared to throw near him, haha.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to A