Postby point/center » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:04 am

Linton drive stalls at the half. 19-0 Velva Sawyer leads
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Shocker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:49 am

Velva up 26-0 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shocker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:53 am

Linton scores, 26-8 Velva leads with 11:14 left in the game.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shocker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12 am

Velva scores another TD, 33-8 with about 4 minutes left. This one looks like it's over.
Last edited by Shocker on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:27 am

it is over
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotBison » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:11 pm

Will any of the Aggie players be making their way to Fargo next fall?
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison_18 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Not real likely. Velva has some very good players, but one thing they often don't have on their side is size. Their quickness works very well for them in high school. But if you want to make DI you have to either run a 4.3 40 or have a big frame(Matt Anderson, Lee Vandal, Landon Smith all have good size). The smaller quicker backs (Dressler, Chappel) have gone to UND. I would look for some of them to possibly end up at a DAC school. That would be my best guess.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotBison » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:02 pm

bison_18 wrote:Not real likely. Velva has some very good players, but one thing they often don't have on their side is size. Their quickness works very well for them in high school. But if you want to make DI you have to either run a 4.3 40 or have a big frame(Matt Anderson, Lee Vandal, Landon Smith all have good size). The smaller quicker backs (Dressler, Chappel) have gone to UND. I would look for some of them to possibly end up at a DAC school. That would be my best guess.

How about in the next year or two?  I've heard there are perhaps some good underclassmen in Velva.
MinotBison
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison_18 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 pm

Not sure. You can't really judge them now, it's hard to tell how much potential a kid will use. Most of the time it just comes down to work ethic.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball11 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:34 pm

Not real likely. Velva has some very good players, but one thing they often don't have on their side is size. Their quickness works very well for them in high school. But if you want to make DI you have to either run a 4.3 40 or have a big frame(Matt Anderson, Lee Vandal, Landon Smith all have good size). The smaller quicker backs (Dressler, Chappel) have gone to UND. I would look for some of them to possibly end up at a DAC school. That would be my best guess.

4.3 40 yard dash?  Good luck finding one in ND.
baseball11

Postby ndfan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:53 pm

I thought I had read on the sioux message board a while back that Dressler and Chappell had been clocked around their. They were speedsters on the track so it wouldn't surprise me.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison_18 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:04 pm

4.3 or 4.4, w/e, if your small you have be outright FAST and QUICK! (that's how Chappel and Dressler make their living).
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby region1 football » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:14 am

Could the top team in A beat the AA team? Or the 9 man team beat the A this year? We were talking one day about Nap. being able to beat alot of the A teams.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby Shocker » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:29 am

Nobody has been able to beat Velva lately with 11 men, so I doubt Napoleon could do it with 9. Seriously though, I think comparing 9-man to 11-man is like comparing apples to oranges. They are very different games and there would be a ton of ifs involved. If they each played with 11 people, I think Velva would win every time. If they played with 9, I don't have any idea what would happen. In each case, the players have never played the other style of football and the coaches (probably) haven't coached it much either.

As for Watford City vs. Velva, I'd give Velva maybe a 20-30% chance of winning that game. Neither team was head and shoulders above the rest of their class, both teams are coached extremely well, and both are traditionally very good. I think it would be a close game either way, but I'd definately give the edge to Watford.
Shocker
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:19 pm

region1 football wrote:Could the top team in A beat the AA team? Or the 9 man team beat the A this year? We were talking one day about Nap. being able to beat alot of the A teams.

Nap. probably could beat the weaker A teams, but for the A and AA, i think it would be more likely to have an A team beat a higher AA team than a 9man team beatin a decent A team.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm

I disagree with you bballfan.  I think Napoleon would be a Class A playoff team.  The way they are built, they look more like an 11-man team than a 9-man team.  Look at some of the other teams that have moved from 9 to 11 man lately.  Linton and Wyndmere for instance.  They were both 9 man playoff mainstays, and now in 11-man they are still playoff contenders.  Would Napoleon be state A champs? I wouldn't make that prediction, but I would go out on a limb and say that they would be a playoff team. 
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:24 pm

ndsportsfan98 wrote:I disagree with you bballfan.  I think Napoleon would be a Class A playoff team.  The way they are built, they look more like an 11-man team than a 9-man team.  Look at some of the other teams that have moved from 9 to 11 man lately.  Linton and Wyndmere for instance.  They were both 9 man playoff mainstays, and now in 11-man they are still playoff contenders.  Would Napoleon be state A champs? I wouldn't make that prediction, but I would go out on a limb and say that they would be a playoff team. 
One can only speculate cause we will never see them play class A football. Your bring up interesting points. Too bad one can't see how they would do for the fun of it though.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm

I disagree with you bballfan.  I think Napoleon would be a Class A playoff team.  The way they are built, they look more like an 11-man team than a 9-man team.  Look at some of the other teams that have moved from 9 to 11 man lately.  Linton and Wyndmere for instance.  They were both 9 man playoff mainstays, and now in 11-man they are still playoff contenders.  Would Napoleon be state A champs? I wouldn't make that prediction, but I would go out on a limb and say that they would be a playoff team. 

It is really hard to say. 11 man is two more guys on the field for your team. Now you say to yourself, whats 2 more guys. Well that might be two guys that are very weak defenders, or two weak offensive linemen. If you play a good team, that team is gonna realize that. Would Napoleon be a playoff team in class A, probably. Would they win it, no. If Velva and Napoleon squared off in a 9 man title game, it would be close. Velva had 11 really good athletes on there team this year. If you take off there 2 worst athletes, they have 9 great athletes on the field, thats why they would be successful at the 9 man level. The question would be is if Napoleon could come up with 2 good football players to succeed at the 11 man level.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby the low down » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:49 pm

The last time we could actually make such a comparison would of been 1997 (the first year of the 4-class system) when Velva beat Minot Ryan that year 21-0.  Velva of course went on to win the "A" title and Ryan won the "AA" title that year. Since then, we haven't had the good fortune of making such a comparison between A and AA. So we could only speculate.

I agree though that there's no reason to believe that Napolean wouldn't be an "A" playoff team if they are able to find 2 more athletes to match up with the 11 man powers.  To beat Velva however is too tall of a task.  The 11 man game is not the wide-open track meet like it is in 9 man, because there are 4 extra players on the field.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:49 am

In 1988 season New England played Beulah. The format was that each team played their own offense and the opponents D.  So, NE played 9man O and 11 man D.  New England won in a barn burner returning a kick-off to regain the lead with less than 10 seconds left to play. 

New England went on to win the 9 man title and Beulah went deep into the play-offs that year and dominated the title game the following year, I think matt Kivisto returned the opening kick in a route of Mayville.  UND RB Ross Amlie was Mayville's stud.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby B » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:31 am

Shocker wrote:Nobody has been able to beat Velva lately with 11 men, so I doubt Napoleon could do it with 9. Seriously though, I think comparing 9-man to 11-man is like comparing apples to oranges. They are very different games and there would be a ton of ifs involved. If they each played with 11 people, I think Velva would win every time. If they played with 9, I don't have any idea what would happen. In each case, the players have never played the other style of football and the coaches (probably) haven't coached it much either.

As for Watford City vs. Velva, I'd give Velva maybe a 20-30% chance of winning that game. Neither team was head and shoulders above the rest of their class, both teams are coached extremely well, and both are traditionally very good. I think it would be a close game either way, but I'd definately give the edge to Watford.

I have to disagree with the "comparing apples to oranges" statement.  I have coached both.  If that were true you wouldn't see the competitive 9-man teams be compeititive when they moved to 11-man.  It's not like the coaches scrap the playbook and change all of their athletes positions.  The main differences is 11-man is a little more field position, it's easier to play defense (more coverages, blitzing, more fronts, not as many responsibilities per position), the fast kids aren't quite as noticeable and obviously injuries/depth is more of a factor in 9-man.

Probably the main thing that gives Napoleon a chance in this matchup is that they had good subs and a couple of their kids only played one way most of the time.  That is unusual in most 9-man schools.  They could very easily put 2 subs in and now they are playing 11-man. 
B

Return to A