The teams in Class A

Re: Hazen vs Killdeer?

Postby bison football73 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 am

I'm pretty sure they had 2 left
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby gominers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:23 am

Killdeer used two on Hazen's previous drive and one on the 4th and forever.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby gominers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 am

Its too bad this is the talk, because it should be about Hazen's defense.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Regardless, kneeling is a strategy. It's running the clock out without running a play to avoid turnover or injury. It's not about mercy. If it's a 1 vs 2 matchup and a one score game the other team should have to play defense the whole game. Plus, Killdeer should be happy they ran a play. It gave them a chance to get a turnover and get the ball back. Wouldn't have had that chance if they kneeled it.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby CaptainCrunch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 am

Killdeer was out of time outs. Really everyone is missing the point here. Hazen had it in the bag. Kneel it, game over. Why risk injuring a player when you have the game sealed and play-offs are coming up? It does really look like a reckless coaching decision and certainly unsportsmanlike to anyone who understands the situation and implications.

In response to keeping Varsity in while having big leads or against JV teams: I've been to every game and yes, Killdeer has had big leads on teams. In many cases, Coach Dobitz has put the JV players in as early as 4 minutes into the 2nd quarter. I would imagine this is to give the JV some experience against Varsity players and ultimately helping the team next year considering how young the team is.

The down side to this is that the Varsity players haven't played a 'full game' in many of the matches. If varsity was put back in for some of the remaining minutes in a game with a big lead, I'd assume it was to keep them conditioned for a full game. It may have bit them a bit against Hazen though, as many of the players were used to being 'spelled' by JV players early in a game. Due to the competitive nature of this game, they were required to be in the full haul which was a good test for their endurance. Remember, many of these players are on both sides of the ball, every snap. Sometimes it is a question of having somebody to fill a position - not 'running up the score against JV players'.

The game was a well fought battle on both sides, marred only by the unecessary play at the end of the game - in my opinion. I'd urge the responders here to watch the film if they get a chance - that punt that 'didn't' hit the Hazen player's foot and was picked up and ran back for what would have been a touchdown - look closer...

Well done by both teams and I'm sure many people here would really like to see a rematch. Enjoy the playoffs!
CaptainCrunch
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Blackheart » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:10 am

Sounds like a well played game...can't wait for the rematch, bring on the playoffs! :D
Blackheart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Truce » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Since the Idea of Dotiz being such a good Coach has been brought up, evidentally its good "sportsmanship" to get in a oposite players face to try and to get them to "lose it".... After listening to him to get his players to try and get hazen players lose their tempers, i would have been embarrased as a parent..

That is not coaching and is NOT sportsmanship...
Truce
NDPreps Starter

Postby longball » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Truce wrote:Since the Idea of Dotiz being such a good Coach has been brought up, evidentally its good "sportsmanship" to get in a oposite players face to try and to get them to "lose it".... After listening to him to get his players to try and get hazen players lose their tempers, i would have been embarrased as a parent..

That is not coaching and is NOT sportsmanship...

He must be a real classy guy cause it takes one to run up 70 some points on a team like he did on Garrison
longball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Tide04 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Coach Dobitz in my experience IS a very classy guy. There has been a lot of speculation on what we THINK happened and our opinions on those thoughts, especially those of us who understand the situation and the implications.....which is great, that adds to this forum. Why Killdeer ran up 72 on Garrison I don't know, but do I need to? On the surface it does look unsportsmanlike, but guys, Coach Dobitz had reasons for keeping guys in or calling the plays he did. I don't know what they were, but I don't think a Coach like Dobitz did it with the intention of running up the score. I don't think either of these coaches are like this if you look at their history. Applaud the kids for a great effort, they both deserved to win.
Tide04
NDPreps Reserve

Postby observer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:00 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Truce wrote:Poor Sportsmanship? and it was NOT a fake Kneel... just because thats what killdeer was expecting and pretty much gave up on the play... the Game isnt over till the clock runs out... its not like Hazen was running up the score they were only up by 7, and with a Team like kildeer id want more than that too... all it takes is one play and Killdeer Ties it up.

sounds like your the Sore loser...

Up by 8
How much time was left?
How many time outs did Killdeer have?
It sounds like you scored with :33 left, could had taken knees to run out the clock. Every team in the state would feel like Killdeer does if it happened to them, even you. All it will do is give Killdeer more to play for the next time they play you. Its called class!

Killdeer has run up scores All year, keeping starters in well into the 4th quarter with the game well in hand. Hazen ran a basic dive...all Killdeer had to do was tackle the ball carrier and they didn't. This person thinks it was just desserts.
observer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby observer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Furthermore, my experience with the Killdeer team is that they are great winners but losing well...the better team won, at least on that day. I have never seen a Hazen team that does not compete and do so with class. Yeah, they play hard and get fired up and show emotion. And yes they do play with class.
observer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Newby » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:07 am

Killdeer played their JV prior to halftime in a couple of their games and the starters hadn't played a full three quarters in any game leading up to Hazen. The Killdeer JV team had a lot of playing time this season as the coaching staff pulled starters out of the games. There was no running up the scores or leaving the varsity players in after the opponent put their JV players in. The Killdeer coaching staff is very good and show even better sportsmanship.
Newby
NDPreps Rookie

Postby PizzaRoll » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:30 am

Newby wrote:Killdeer played their JV prior to halftime in a couple of their games and the starters hadn't played a full three quarters in any game leading up to Hazen. The Killdeer JV team had a lot of playing time this season as the coaching staff pulled starters out of the games. There was no running up the scores or leaving the varsity players in after the opponent put their JV players in. The Killdeer coaching staff is very good and show even better sportsmanship.

False, I watched them have starters in against 3 teams in the 4th when the game was out of hand. Go watch the films. I know for a fact they ran it up all year. I'm sure coaches in that region would tell you the same.
PizzaRoll
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Watched a game film of hazen - killdeer. killdeer linemen came across the line of scrimmage hard on the last td. imo hazen just scored a td late on killdeer saw chippy stuff on both sides
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby observer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:54 pm

I know factually Killdeer had starters playing when they played Southern McLean, midway into the 4th quarter because I was at the game and their starting qb got hurt on a play. I remember asking the guy in the stands next to me why he was even still in the game????
observer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby longball » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Tide04 wrote:Coach Dobitz in my experience IS a very classy guy. There has been a lot of speculation on what we THINK happened and our opinions on those thoughts, especially those of us who understand the situation and the implications.....which is great, that adds to this forum. Why Killdeer ran up 72 on Garrison I don't know, but do I need to? On the surface it does look unsportsmanlike, but guys, Coach Dobitz had reasons for keeping guys in or calling the plays he did. I don't know what they were, but I don't think a Coach like Dobitz did it with the intention of running up the score. I don't think either of these coaches are like this if you look at their history. Applaud the kids for a great effort, they both deserved to win.

This is how classy he is at the end of the game he pulled number 1 bornamen from Hazen aside and grabed his jersey and told him he was the crapist player our there and than gave him a shov. He used worse words than that tho
longball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Fballfan29 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:30 pm

hahahahahhahahahahha i no for a fact thats not true i have never heard coach dobitz say a cuss word in his life
Fballfan29
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WEST » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:12 am

Fballfan29 wrote:hahahahahhahahahahha i no for a fact thats not true i have never heard coach dobitz say a cuss word in his life

I know for a fact he did say something to bornemann and your right he didn't cuss he just called him the most miserable athlete he has ever seen. So yes be proud that he wouldn't cuss at a someone. The real class is the way it was handled by the hazen players.
WEST
NDPreps Rookie

Postby chargers » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:03 am

Wow, there must be plenty of hazen and killdeer fans in this topic. First off, from a neutral point of view, what I gathered from this game was Hazen has plenty of athletes who don't stop running there mouth. They are easily led by that #1 kid. That kid was taunting everyone the whole night. Second off, Killdeer wasn't far behind. Both teams did not carry themselves as class acts on the field and it's disappointing to see high school football be displayed like this. From what I have gathered to clarify things up a bit, it was Killdeer's assistant coach who said that to Briar and he retaliated cussing and screaming at him. What a terribly thing for a coach to say to an athlete, who is still in high school. It's disgusting how these teams presented themselves. As for the head coaches, I know them both personally, and they both are complete class acts. Probably two of the nicest guys I've ever met. So, for one to try and run a trick play at the end of an already won or the other to intentionally run up the against lower teams would be pretty ridiculous for me to believe. If there was starters left in the game at those times, it's probably because of the lack of numbers, or maybe trying to figure out a few wrinkles seeming the team could only play maybe two quarters against every team they played other than hazen. You can't expect a team to get better without trying new things and maybe getting a little better chemistry built up among there team. That stuff isn't easy to do just playing pretty much half a season.
chargers
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 am

These two teams must bring out the worst in each other. From what I heard in the Velva Killdeer game was good sportsmenship all round, Kids helping each other up telling each other good job.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to A