Dakota Bowl 2006

The teams in Class A

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:39 am

I was just in the 9-Man page and apparently the 9-Man championship starts at 9:00AM on the 10th of November. The major complaint was that it was too early.

All of the games will be played on Friday because UND plays at 1:30 on Saturday.

Does anybody know the schedule of all games. I assume the A final will be played 1/2 hour after the nine man but will AA and AAA fall in behind in 1/2 hour incriments or be played later in the day?
Last edited by A - Football Fan on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:02 pm

Dakota Bowl Schedule

Dakota Bowl, Nov 10th at Grand Forks Alerus Center

9:00 AM – 9-Man championship

20 minutes after 9-Man game – A division championship

20 minutes after A division game – AA division championship

6:30 PM – AAA division championship

TICKET PRICES (ALL Day)
Adults: $10.00 +$1.00 venue charge ($11.00)
Students: $6.00 + $1.00 venue charge ($7.00)
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tv sports guy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:15 pm

that should be fun for the tv guys...talking for 6-8 hours straight, then a 30 minute break, then another 2 hours at night. they're going to run out of random football facts!
tv sports guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison Rule » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:56 am

I wonder what rocket scientist came up with this plan.
Bison Rule

Postby bison_18 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:30 am

Why couldn't they play 2 games after the UND game??
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:02 am

If I could throw stones it would be AT the TV guy's. I'd guess they have some problems with the network cutting out shows both Friday and Saturday.

Add to that the expense of putting the crews and production into Grand Forks both day's.

Add to it the NDHSAA expense of renting the Alerus two days instead of one.

If there were only thee classes this wouldnt be an issue.:P
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby A - Football Fan » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:20 am

point/center wrote:If I could throw stones it would be AT the TV guy's. I'd guess they have some problems with the network cutting out shows both Friday and Saturday.

Add to that the expense of putting the crews and production into Grand Forks both day's.

Add to it the NDHSAA expense of renting the Alerus two days instead of one.

If there were only thee classes this wouldnt be an issue.:P

The TV guys don't really have a say in whether or not it is two days or one. As I recall a few years ago it wasn't broadcast because of contract disputes for broadcasting privledges. I would tend to agree that it has a lot to do with rental of the Alerus for two days but I think that the Lion's share of the blame for this is the "Fighting Sioux" schedule the following day. Coincidentally NDSU also is playing at home on Saturday of the Dakota Bowl so the Fargodome wouldn't have been a better solution to this dillema.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby point/center » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:38 am

My point is that if TV doesnt like it they hold the reigns. They can put in their contract with NDHSAA they will not televise two day's of games.

I'm not saying I know what they did, but they put in the bid to buy the rights. NDHSAA can stipulate what they want in order to accept the bid.

Basically it is a process between NDHSAA and TV.

Bottom line is if TV doesnt want it, they dont buy it..and it's not in the best interst of NDHSAA to put specs that TV won't take. NDHSAA gets blasted and TV walks away and probably breaks even.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:12 pm

IMO, it is just the NDHSAA just being stupid and greedy.

I am assuming that they didn't initially want all the games played in one day, but realized later that there was a scheduling conflict with the Sioux... If that is the case, it is a stupid planning mistake by someone in the NDHSAA.

If they actually did want them all in one day, it was a terrible and idiotic idea, IMO. It's not good for anyone... players, fans, media, etc.

And finally, if part of the reason they didn't stretch it over two days was cost of renting a facillity, that is pretty pathetic. The NDHSAA makes a ton of money at the Dakota Bowl (Forum's Eric Peterson did a good story on this last year) and doesn't need to cut corners by jamming everything into one day.
Y-not Daily

Postby Bison Rule » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:27 pm

I totally agree with Y not.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  This has such far reaching affect on everyone.  How about the kid playing in the 9 man game that has a once in lifetime chance to play in a championship game. at 9 AM, you've got to be kidding.  How about the sports fan in western ND who can't make it to the game but would love to watch a championship game on TV, what's he gonna do?  Take off a day from work?  How about the $$$$ lost to Grand Forks area with this crazy schedule.  I'll take a wild guess and say the revenues generated get cut in half.  So whats the solution?  Couldn't NDHSAA sit down and negotiate some type of a long term deal with both GF and Fargo so that this weekend would always be available at one or the other.  Wouldn't that be in the best interest of every one?  Unfortunately NDHSAA doesn't have a very good track record at these type of decisions.  They are the same geniuses that have Velva playing a semifinal football game at exactly the same time as a regional volleyball game.
Bison Rule

Postby baseball » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:49 pm

Bison Rule wrote:I totally agree with Y not.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  This has such far reaching affect on everyone.  How about the kid playing in the 9 man game that has a once in lifetime chance to play in a championship game. at 9 AM, you've got to be kidding.  How about the sports fan in western ND who can't make it to the game but would love to watch a championship game on TV, what's he gonna do?  Take off a day from work?  How about the $$$$ lost to Grand Forks area with this crazy schedule.  I'll take a wild guess and say the revenues generated get cut in half.  So whats the solution?  Couldn't NDHSAA sit down and negotiate some type of a long term deal with both GF and Fargo so that this weekend would always be available at one or the other.  Wouldn't that be in the best interest of every one?  Unfortunately NDHSAA doesn't have a very good track record at these type of decisions.  They are the same geniuses that have Velva playing a semifinal football game at exactly the same time as a regional volleyball game.

somes things you said i agree and some not. 1)  the guy skipping work to watch on TV.....are you saying he would work while DRIVING to the game? that didnt make sense to me. 2) as for the football and volleyball games being at the same time.....i believe the times for the games are set before the season starts, so how can anyone know what seed both teams woudl get to avoid this terrible event of missing a volleyball game to play in a semifinal football game.  i know i would rather play in a semifinal football game then go watch a volleyball game...and im sure the girls want to play volleyball instead of watching the football game.  maybe they should just push the volleyball tournament back a day so everyone is happy....but then i guess that would leave short rest for the team going to state from that region so the whole arguement starts again.

my point being.......some things are unavoidable and this is a prime example.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:21 am

The NDHSAA would have to work with NDSU and UND on scheduling not cities of Grand Forks and Fargo. NDSU and UND have top priorities and they aren't gonna give up a home game for a state tournament. It just happens both have home games this year. The whole VB thing is they need to get those games played, they are on a schedule sometimes it's not gonna work out for people. But just like this world is imperfect, so is the NDHSAA but ya just got live with it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby COACHWEST » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:23 am

I think Bison's point is that Regional Volleyball tourneys should not be started on Saturdays!  It is a losing situation for all involved.  Volleyball loses fans.  Football loses fans.  Parents get stretched thin.  Communities are left shorthanded to host tourneys and playoff games (Velva is probably doing both at the same time again this year.)  Our District Volleyball Tourney does not play on Saturday as to not create scheduling conflicts.  Regionals could (should) do the same.  The could have Region VB tourneys on Mon. Tues. and Thursday just like the same organization schedules BB to avoid conflict w/ wrestling in the spring.

As for the idea that it would leave short time between Region VB and State...they have 9 days between...to some VB coaches...thats too much downtime.  If they would look at Mon. Tues. Thurs Regions, that would still leave a full week before state VB starts on the following Thursday.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:00 am

Is there a website that has Dakota Bowl records or history?
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison Rule » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:22 pm

holy crap        I'm impressed.  They actually flopped game times for  Velva girls volleyball to 6 PM.  Very descent to be accommodating like this.
Bison Rule

Return to A