State Title Game

The teams in Class A

Postby bison_18 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:27 pm

3 TD's huh?? Harvey bring in some new recruits?? Harvey is a good team, but you really think they've improved THAT much since they lost to Velva?
Last edited by bison_18 on Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:07 am

cash wrote:
playthegame wrote:
baseball21 wrote:now, im gonna change my prediction with Larimores loss today. Im gonna now say Linton Vs. Velva. Although, i think the Velva, Harvey will be a good, close game. i just think Velva will pull it off. Wyndmere could also have a shot at the championship as well. We played them early in the year and didnt think they were anything special, but they looked tough today. There are defianetly no for-sures right now.

I have to agree with you on this one!  I don't know anything about Linton or Wyndmere, but Velva and Harvey will be a good game!  It sounds like the weather is gonna get pretty ugly this week and it is supposed to be cold next weekend!  Ithink that will have more effect on Harvey than Velva!  Harvey has a good team but a big part of their Game is the Sandy to Sandy connection through the air!  I think the weather will neutralize them and Velva will shut down the Harvey running game!  I think Velva wins this game by two touchdowns!  In the other game I'm gonna pull for Wyndmere just because I like to cheer for an underdog!
why would the cold nuetralize the passing game? it was cold this last week and the week before and they passed the ball extremely well...plus...your not really that cold when your playing and as active as they are...i think harvey wins by 3 touchdowns and wyndemere pulls out another upset

Looking at the weather for the end of the week. It appears that it is going to be rainy/snowy and cold. We all know how weathermen are at predicting weather though....... about as good as "cash" is at predicting football games. JK. It should be a good game but if weather is a 12th man for any team it will be on the side of Velva and their crushing defense. Upsets are abound though and Harvey has been running on all cylinders in the playoffs.

I think Wyndmere would be the only team that you could say would be an upset pick because Velva and Harvey are so evenly matched it is hard to imagine that if either team won you would call it an upset. Other than their respective ratings there is very little difference..... even in the coaches last names.
Last edited by A - Football Fan on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby playthegame » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:18 am

Have you seen the weather forcast winter storm warning today!  And it was cold when Velva played Harvey last time and Harvey DIDN'T pass very well at all!  But if what you're saying is true then maybe I should give Velva's defense more credit for shutting down Harvey's passing game! I'm not saying that Harvey can't pass the ball but incliment weather will have a bigger effect on the passing game than the running game, and Harvey didn't get anywhere on the ground against Velva in their first meeting!  Velvabytwotouchdowns, maybemore!
Last edited by playthegame on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
playthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cash » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:27 am

A - Football Fan wrote:
cash wrote:
playthegame wrote:
baseball21 wrote:now, im gonna change my prediction with Larimores loss today. Im gonna now say Linton Vs. Velva. Although, i think the Velva, Harvey will be a good, close game. i just think Velva will pull it off. Wyndmere could also have a shot at the championship as well. We played them early in the year and didnt think they were anything special, but they looked tough today. There are defianetly no for-sures right now.

I have to agree with you on this one!  I don't know anything about Linton or Wyndmere, but Velva and Harvey will be a good game!  It sounds like the weather is gonna get pretty ugly this week and it is supposed to be cold next weekend!  Ithink that will have more effect on Harvey than Velva!  Harvey has a good team but a big part of their Game is the Sandy to Sandy connection through the air!  I think the weather will neutralize them and Velva will shut down the Harvey running game!  I think Velva wins this game by two touchdowns!  In the other game I'm gonna pull for Wyndmere just because I like to cheer for an underdog!
why would the cold nuetralize the passing game? it was cold this last week and the week before and they passed the ball extremely well...plus...your not really that cold when your playing and as active as they are...i think harvey wins by 3 touchdowns and wyndemere pulls out another upset

Looking at the weather for the end of the week. It appears that it is going to be rainy/snowy and cold. We all know how weathermen are at predicting weather though....... about as good as "cash" is at predicting football games. JK. It should be a good game but if weather is a 12th man for any team it will be on the side of Velva and their crushing defense. Upsets are abound though and Harvey has been running on all cylinders in the playoffs.

I think Wyndmere would be the only team that you could say would be an upset pick because Velva and Harvey are so evenly matched it is hard to imagine that if either team won you would call it an upset. Other than their respective ratings there is very little difference..... even in the coaches last names.
velvas crushing defense, i believe its harvey defense that hasnt allowed a point this playoff, i believe harvey has blown out every oppenent this playoff, and also, harvey is coming together as a team, they are very young, 6 sophomores or something like that, i think harvey will want it more than velva
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cash » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:29 am

playthegame wrote:Have you seen the weather forcast winter storm warning today!  And it was cold when Velva played Harvey last time and Harvey DIDN'T pass very well at all!  But if what you're saying is true then maybe I should give Velva's defense more credit for shutting down Harvey's passing game! I'm not saying that Harvey can't pass the ball but incliment weather will have a bigger effect on the passing game than the running game, and Harvey didn't get anywhere on the ground against Velva in their first meeting!  Velvabytwotouchdowns, maybemore!
yeah, but what does todays forcast have to do with saturday! so they didnt pass well that game, lots of teams have one bad day! their running game is coming along and will do a lot better! i thought all the !'s would be good because your so excited about your sentences, :D, just messing with ya, but i still stick with harvey by 3 td's and then they go on to play wyndemere
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby playthegame » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:30 pm

cash wrote:
playthegame wrote:Have you seen the weather forcast winter storm warning today!  And it was cold when Velva played Harvey last time and Harvey DIDN'T pass very well at all!  But if what you're saying is true then maybe I should give Velva's defense more credit for shutting down Harvey's passing game! I'm not saying that Harvey can't pass the ball but incliment weather will have a bigger effect on the passing game than the running game, and Harvey didn't get anywhere on the ground against Velva in their first meeting!  Velvabytwotouchdowns, maybemore!
yeah, but what does todays forcast have to do with saturday! so they didnt pass well that game, lots of teams have one bad day! their running game is coming along and will do a lot better! i thought all the !'s would be good because your so excited about your sentences, :D, just messing with ya, but i still stick with harvey by 3 td's and then they go on to play wyndemere

I always use (!) that's just me!  However, even in perfect weather conditions Harvey wouldn't beat Velva by three TD's!  As far as having a bad night I think that might have had something to do with the competition!  I think this will be a very tough, hard fought game and if Harvey is going to win they will have to do a good job running the ball,  and Velva is very tough against the run!  They are very quick and fly to the ball!  Their pass defense has improved over the last 4 - 5 games as well!  I think it will take a total meltdown by Velva for Harvey to win by 3 TD's! Harvey is capable of beating Velva I just don't think it will happen this weekend!  I guess come Saturday one of us will be eating our words, hopefully not me!
playthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison_18 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:00 pm

I also think Harvey can win, but in no way do i think they could win by 3 td's. They're playing a team that held them scoreless for almost the whole game. But i guess we'll see what happens.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:46 pm

Whereabouts in Harvey do you live Cash?
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:48 pm

just as a random statement...i have to throw out that i love how the road to the state championship has come down to a bit of region rivalry in each semifinal game...both harvey and wyndmere-lidgerwood playing for redemption, linton-hmb and velva trying to show it wasn't a fluke that they won the first time around earlier this season...good story lines all the way around....good stuff
rep

Postby crete00 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm gonna have to go with Wyndmere-Lidgerwood in an "upset" over Linton.  I saw the game against Larimore and their defense was very impressive.  It was either the G.F. Herald or the Fargo Forum that said Larimore had 7 drives of 3 plays or less.  Linton could be looking past them somewhat because of the game earlier when they beat the Warriors by a score of (I think) 48-21, in Wyndmere on their Homecoming!  If that isn't motivation for Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, I don't know what could be.  As far as Velva vs Harvey, I don't really know much about either team but they seem to both be powers year in and year out and should make for an exciting game. 
"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"

Theodore Roosevelt
crete00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:39 pm

crete00 wrote:I'm gonna have to go with Wyndmere-Lidgerwood in an "upset" over Linton.  I saw the game against Larimore and their defense was very impressive.  It was either the G.F. Herald or the Fargo Forum that said Larimore had 7 drives of 3 plays or less.  Linton could be looking past them somewhat because of the game earlier when they beat the Warriors by a score of (I think) 48-21, in Wyndmere on their Homecoming!  If that isn't motivation for Wyndmere-Lidgerwood, I don't know what could be.  As far as Velva vs Harvey, I don't really know much about either team but they seem to both be powers year in and year out and should make for an exciting game. 

i can pretty much guarantee that an imdieke-led team won't look past a team. he won't let them. that said...after talking with the wyndmere-lidgerwood coach, he knows that linton kicked them around in the first game and that is his team's motivation. wyndmere-lidgerwood is a team with its back against the wall...caged animal mentality is very dangerous, and that is coupled with the confidence of beating some decent teams in the last couple of weeks. on top of that...linton had to rally to win on saturday and they might be questioning their own ability right now.
rep

Postby Bison Rule » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:15 pm

Gee, I wonder how many years ago velva gave up 3 touchdowns in a playoff game.  It would be a LONG time ago
Bison Rule

Postby playthegame » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:59 am

Bison Rule wrote:Gee, I wonder how many years ago velva gave up 3 touchdowns in a playoff game.  It would be a LONG time ago

I may be wrong about this but Velva gave up three TD's to Stanley in the 2002 semi's!  Velva lost that game 21 - 20!  Stanley went on to beat Carrington in the championship game!  Although Velva gave up 3 TD's that game they still only lost by one point!  If it weren't for that one point Velva could very well be 6 time defending champs!  That's pretty good!  I think Harvey will give them a similar game on Saturday, my gut still tells me Velva wins by two TD's!
playthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bison_18 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:27 am

That was one of the best games(Velva vs. Stanley 2002 playoffs) I've seen. Both teams were heavily talented.
Last edited by bison_18 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby TNT » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:27 am

2002 team was Velva's best team over the past 7 years but played a great team in stanley. That was one heck of a game and i think one year later Velva stopped stanley going for the tie on a 2 point conversion with less than 10 seconds left. 
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby the low down » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:40 pm

Looking back at the Velva program for the better part of the last decade, you would see a lot of changes believe it or not.  The first half of the decade Velva was bigger and stronger than everyone else, and operated an offense that ran over opponents with the big lines and 200# RB's. Now, for the last few years, their offense is based on their speed in the skill positions.

One thing that has been consistent however over the past 7-10 years with this program has been the rock solid defense that is almost impossible to move up and down the field.  This is how Velva will win on Saturday and how they may continue their title run the following week. I expect a game very much like the first time around. I wish I could be there to see it.
Last edited by the low down on Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:08 pm

the low down wrote: I wish I could be there to see it.

amen...i'll be at napoleon/lakota, which has all the ingredients to be a pretty good game also, but i really want to see velva/harvey
rep

Postby Bluecoach » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:11 am

I have to go with Velva.  They are very tough to beat this time of year.  They seem to find a way to get it done even when they are not the best team.  They will make the plays when they have to. Much of the credit should go to Coach Sandy as they are always well prepared.  a This Velva squad is not the best I have seen in recent years but they are balanced offensively, have a very quick D-line, which is very difficult to contend with, play physical, and have the mental toughness and tradition that  gives them the edge.  Having played Velva and seeing Harvey on tape, Harvey potentially could give Velva difficulty in the passing game.  That is, in my opinion, Velva's weakness.  If Harvey can pass protect and complete some balls they could pull it off.  But I think the Velva tradition will pull it out.  How many, except for a few of us out west, believed they could beat Cavalier last year?
Bluecoach

Postby bison_18 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 am

[user=1215]Bluecoach[/user] wrote:
How many, except for a few of us out west, believed they could beat Cavalier last year?

Not a soul in the East, that's for sure.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison Rule » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:35 am

Every one of the fargo forum sports guys picked cavalier.  For what thats worth
Bison Rule

Postby ndfan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:07 pm

Well I think the fargo and Grand forks papers were gonna be a little bias with them being three time defending champs and just seeing them play a little more. Velva took advantage of Cavaliers Secondary and ate them up. Cavalier only had one option and that was Anderson and they found a way to keep him pretty quiet other teams weren't able too. Cavalier had a lot of weaknesses that a lot of teams just weren't able to take advantage of and Velva was. Thats why Velva won, they were the better all around team.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby crete00 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:04 pm

I've noticed much of the hype about the two semi-final games this weekend has been about Velva and Harvey, and rightfully so as it should be an excellent game.  I know very little about either of these teams except that both schools traditionally have strong football programs.  Is this going to be the championship game?  Does the winner of the Linton vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood game have a chance of beating either of these teams?
"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"

Theodore Roosevelt
crete00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:07 pm

i'm gonna go with harvey and wyndmere-lidgerwood
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby playthegame » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:50 am

crete00 wrote:I've noticed much of the hype about the two semi-final games this weekend has been about Velva and Harvey, and rightfully so as it should be an excellent game.  I know very little about either of these teams except that both schools traditionally have strong football programs.  Is this going to be the championship game?  Does the winner of the Linton vs Wyndmere-Lidgerwood game have a chance of beating either of these teams?

I think whoever wins between Linton and Wyndmere will have a good chance of winning!  Neither Harvey or Velva is unbeatable and I think a lot of the talk about them is because of the tradition that each school has!  But we shouldn't forget that Linton also has a great tradition, and they have a state championship trophy on display from back before the four class system was started and they dominated 9man football for a while! So they've got tradition as well!
playthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to A