Harvey vs. Velva

The teams in Class A

Postby cash » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:33 pm

Bison Rule wrote:Game wasn't as close as the score.  I think Harvey had 1 first down in the first half.  Velva moved the ball some but manged to stall out at the 25 several times.
It was close, Harvey played a great football game and so did Velva. It just game down to a couple plays, I don't believe Velva had many first downs either.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby starinthemaking » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:37 pm

I also disagree with who ever says this game wasn't close.  People can say that it wasn't close because Velva just stalled out everytime they got to the redzone, then don't forget that Harvey shot themselves in the foot with the 3 or 4 snaps over the quarterback's head.  I listen to the game and to me it sounded like a good old defensive battle.  I don't think it was any different then what people expected.  I sure hope these two teams meet up again beause the atmosphere and game itself is definetly one of the best rivalry games in the state.  Good luck to both teams, and hopefully it will be a preview to the state semi-finals!!!!
starinthemaking

Postby the low down » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:59 am

In no way was I implying that the game wasn't close.  After all for the most part, Harvey did a great job on defense making the plays when they needed to be made.  That's what good football teams do in big game situations. 

I just felt that Velva had more control of what they were wanting to do in the game than Harvey did.  Velva executed their offense about as well as you could against that defense, they just weren't able to find a way to come away with points.  They were putting together some nice drives though.  Harvey on the other hand struggled to get past their own miscues.  As a result, instead of them putting together or sustaining a drive, they constantly found themselves trying to find a way to get out of 3rd and 9 situations.

These two teams have the potential to meet up again, but they have to take care of business against the teams from the other region, who seem to be as tough as anyone. 
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison Rule » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:38 am

What I meant by the the game not being not being as close as the score:  Harvey has the ball on there own 20 with 5 minutes left in the game being down 10 to 0.  Harvey runs the ball something like 8 times in a row and eventually score on a 25 yard pass with a minute left (maybe the only time Harvey was inside the Velva 30 all night).  Definately an unusual plan of attack knowing you had to score twice to tie, but hard to argue with the results.  And if they recover the onside kick.......but they don't.  Velva immediately breaks a big play and end up taking a knee on Harvey's 2 yard line.  It's hard to win when the first time you score all night is with a minute left in the game.
Bison Rule

Postby bball1niner » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:26 am

yeah that was a major meltdown by langdon...bad
bball1niner

Postby playthegame » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:50 am

I was at the game and I don't remember Harvey having that many snaps over the QB's head!  I remember 1 and also a bad snap on a punt!  That being said I give Harvey's defense credit for keeping them in the game because it could have been a lopsided score!  If Velva can clean up their mistakes like they usually do for the playoffs they'll very tough to beat!  I'd love to see a rematch of this one because I think both teams feel they have something to prove after this one!
playthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A - Football Fan » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:49 am

This could be a good match-up for the semi-finals. Hopefully these these two teams will be facing each other after Saturday.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to A