Harvey vs. Velva

The teams in Class A

Postby NBE2007 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:36 pm

Gonna be good football game...any other thoughts on this matchup this next friday
NBE2007

Postby cash » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:58 am

NBE2007 wrote:Gonna be good football game...any other thoughts on this matchup this next friday
Should be a good one.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hornetfan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:20 am

Should be a good game if Harvey sticks with good football fundamentals and stays away from trick plays. Harvey has always been known for a good ground game so we'll see what Sandy pulls out of his hat.
hornetfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cash » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 am

hornetfan wrote:Should be a good game if Harvey sticks with good football fundamentals and stays away from trick plays. Harvey has always been known for a good ground game so we'll see what Sandy pulls out of his hat.
Trick plays. I believe Harvey has one of the most basic offenses in the state, not the simplest, but it's basic, and there really isin't any trick plays. However, Velva is the team that might have to stay away from trick plays, they run them more than Harvey would, I've never seen Harvey run a trick play this year in all the games I've seen. This will be a very close game, but, I see Harvey winning it this year, and going pretty deep into the playoffs, remember they are playing for somebody they lost in the offseason.
Last edited by cash on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:41 am

hornetfan wrote:Should be a good game if Harvey sticks with good football fundamentals and stays away from trick plays. Harvey has always been known for a good ground game so we'll see what Sandy pulls out of his hat.

Ask Langdon about Harvey's trick plays.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hornetfan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:59 am

I don't believe there were any trick plays at Langdon. I think Harvey realized they could throw it to other players than to just Sandy to Sandy.
hornetfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cash » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:26 am

hornetfan wrote:I don't believe there were any trick plays at Langdon. I think Harvey realized they could throw it to other players than to just Sandy to Sandy.
That's really their main threat every game. I think they are going to use more than the two Sandy's, because more likely than not, Velva knows they go to the Sandy thats the TE more than anybody, probably 12 out of 15 passes go to him, so they'll double maybe even triple team him, opening up room for the recievers, and maybe, this could help Velva shut down the running game more. But it's unlikely that Velva could stop Harvey's passing attack if Harvey uses ALL of their recievers. I haven't seen many Harvey games this year, but, the one's I have, maybe one or two, they use their TE a lot. Maybe I'm just used to college football because that's what I usually watch on the weekends.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Y-not Daily » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:32 am

Last year I thought Harvey was the better team and would win the matchup. This year, I think Velva is clearly better, but the game is in Harvey, so anything is possible.
Y-not Daily

Postby ND_Coach » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:08 am

hornetfan wrote:I don't believe there were any trick plays at Langdon. I think Harvey realized they could throw it to other players than to just Sandy to Sandy.

I should have been more clear.  I was not refering to the Langdon game this year.  It was the one During Blair Sandy's senior year (2002 if I remember right)when Langdon almost ended the Hornets home winning streak, but a double pass with about 30 seconds to play went for a TD
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bison_18 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:59 pm

cash wrote:
Trick plays. I believe Harvey has one of the most basic offenses in the state, not the simplest, but it's basic, and there really isin't any trick plays. However, Velva is the team that might have to stay away from trick plays, they run them more than Harvey would, I've never seen Harvey run a trick play this year in all the games I've seen. This will be a very close game, but, I see Harvey winning it this year, and going pretty deep into the playoffs, remember they are playing for somebody they lost in the offseason.

Well if anyone knows anything about Harvey, they probly had the most-talented team in class A last year. Volk, Buxa, Frantz, Lemer's. They got beat in the first round of playoffs handily. They lost alot of talent and so did velva, but i think Velva returned a better team than Harvey. Until Brock Sandy can break out against a quality team, I see Velva winning this matchup. 7 points against DLB?? Shouldn't they have scored more than one touchdown against DLB if they're so good?
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby cash » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:51 am

bison_18 wrote:
cash wrote:

Well if anyone knows anything about Harvey, they probly had the most-talented team in class A last year. Volk, Buxa, Frantz, Lemer's. They got beat in the first round of playoffs handily. They lost alot of talent and so did velva, but i think Velva returned a better team than Harvey. Until Brock Sandy can break out against a quality team, I see Velva winning this matchup. 7 points against DLB?? Shouldn't they have scored more than one touchdown against DLB if they're so good?
The game against DLB was just a bad night for the Harvey offense from what it sounded like on the radio. I think they can beat Velva, they have a decent defense and an offense that is kind of dormant. If they can get their running game open, they should be able to spread the field and pass it more for big gains.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TNT » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:46 am

Velva will not use the whole playbook. Velva will show alot of looks and plays but will not use the counters that are the big game breakers that are used in the playoffs.  The D will keep Velva close in the game even with the conservative O and if Harvey dont bring the A game Velva will more than likely win. 
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby cash » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:17 pm

TNT wrote:Velva will not use the whole playbook. Velva will show alot of looks and plays but will not use the counters that are the big game breakers that are used in the playoffs.  The D will keep Velva close in the game even with the conservative O and if Harvey dont bring the A game Velva will more than likely win. 
I think the team who plays the best will win, because the teams are evenly matched in my opinion. Harvey has a better defense, and Velva has the better offense, so it could be interesting, remember, defense wins games and sets up the offense, so I'm going to say whoever has the best defense wins this game, and I think Harvey has the nod for the better defense. Harvey has a bit more size, althought, they are very inexperienced, not counting the Pasillas twins, Shild, most of the line is inexerperienced. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS! I'm really looking forward to this one, could be the game of the year in my opinion!
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison Rule » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:07 pm

TNT wrote:Velva will not use the whole playbook. Velva will show alot of looks and plays but will not use the counters that are the big game breakers that are used in the playoffs.  The D will keep Velva close in the game even with the conservative O and if Harvey dont bring the A game Velva will more than likely win. 

I definately agree.  Larry Sandy is notorious for "never showing his whole hand" in a regular season game.  Especially against a team like Harvey, a team Velva might meet again in the playoffs.  Even if it some what reduces his chances for winning the regular season game.  Play off wins are the ones that count.
Bison Rule

Postby starinthemaking » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:10 pm

Until Brock Sandy can break out against a quality team, I see Velva winning this matchup.

I really do not understand that comment.  Watched alot of Harvey football over the year, I think brock is probably the best quarterback to come from Harvey.  He's better than his brother for the fact that his brother had good wide reveivers.  Brock hasn't had the talent at wide recievers like his brother.  Watched him as a freshmen almost single handedly beat Lamoure with the pass game, threw some a couple ints but almost led the team to a win.  I agree with others that say this game will come down to defense, in which I give the upper hand to Harvey.  I believe Velva will be working into the heart of the harvey defense and that is the d-line and linebackers, also brock sandy coming down and hitting people from the safety position.  The other sandy who plays linebacker will hit you in the mouth and has the mentality that he wants the ball and when he wants I'm not sure if anyone (maybe more than one can) can stop him.  I like the d-line they don't have great size, but boy do those guys play hard.  I think it will be a good game, but in the end I think the sandy-sandy connection gets a couple and the defense stays solid, harvey in a good game.
starinthemaking

Postby cash » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:29 pm

starinthemaking wrote:
Until Brock Sandy can break out against a quality team, I see Velva winning this matchup.

I really do not understand that comment.  Watched alot of Harvey football over the year, I think brock is probably the best quarterback to come from Harvey.  He's better than his brother for the fact that his brother had good wide reveivers.  Brock hasn't had the talent at wide recievers like his brother.  Watched him as a freshmen almost single handedly beat Lamoure with the pass game, threw some a couple ints but almost led the team to a win.  I agree with others that say this game will come down to defense, in which I give the upper hand to Harvey.  I believe Velva will be working into the heart of the harvey defense and that is the d-line and linebackers, also brock sandy coming down and hitting people from the safety position.  The other sandy who plays linebacker will hit you in the mouth and has the mentality that he wants the ball and when he wants I'm not sure if anyone (maybe more than one can) can stop him.  I like the d-line they don't have great size, but boy do those guys play hard.  I think it will be a good game, but in the end I think the sandy-sandy connection gets a couple and the defense stays solid, harvey in a good game.
I watched Blair play a lot, and I think he was quite a bit better than Brock. They are both good, I think Brock can scramble a lot better, but Blair had a little better accuracy.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:59 pm

Is Blair playing ball anywhere? I thought i heard he went to Mary but I'm not sure at all. And if he is how is he doing?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cash » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 pm

ndfan wrote:Is Blair playing ball anywhere? I thought i heard he went to Mary but I'm not sure at all. And if he is how is he doing?
I believe he plays at Mary still, I went to a Mary game a while ago, but, he wasn't playing, I'd think he'd start his senior year which is this year.
cash
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NBE2007 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:37 pm

well i guess we'll find out the result of this game tomorrow night, as for me i will be in Langdon watching the game there
NBE2007

Postby js2125 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:15 am

I believe Blair Sandy is the starting QB for Mary right now.
js2125

Postby bison_18 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:20 am

He's listed as a junior on the UMary website.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby triple » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:15 pm

Thoughts?
triple

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:09 pm

I didnt see the game but it looked just like it did on paper, a good defensive game between 2 of the top teams in the state.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison Rule » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Game wasn't as close as the score.  I think Harvey had 1 first down in the first half.  Velva moved the ball some but manged to stall out at the 25 several times.
Bison Rule

Postby the low down » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:04 am

Bison Rule wrote:Game wasn't as close as the score.  I think Harvey had 1 first down in the first half.  Velva moved the ball some but manged to stall out at the 25 several times.

I seem to agree with you on that one.  I listened to the game on the internet (Props to AM 1470 in Harvey for having that feature) and it seems that Velva had no problem running their offense successfully, until they got near the red zone in which for some reason founds ways to stall, kind of like our beloved Minnesota Vikings.  But fans of this game got everything they expected coming in.  Great defense for both teams as the scoreboard would indicate.  In Class A ball, having a kicker that can put the ball through the uprights beyond the distance of an extra point can be considered an extra weapon. That proved to be the difference in this game.

That said, there's no reason to think that these teams won't meet up again in the playoffs.  Velva has the momentum going into the playoffs.  Momentum that probably started back in 2004.  The Harvey kids should have the confidence in knowing that they can hang with the  best, and could beat them on any given night if they find a way to make the big play. 
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to A