Shrine Game

The teams in Class A

Shrine Game

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 pm

How do they pick who gets to play in that game? I saw some kids on there that I thought I would never see and quite a few kids that are not on the roster. Not to pick on Oakes or Stanley but they both get 3 players on the roster but top 4 teams Velva, Dickinson Trinity, Langdon and Kindred have a total of 6 players between them?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Re: Shrine Game

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 pm

maddog1971 wrote:How do they pick who gets to play in that game? I saw some kids on there that I thought I would never see and quite a few kids that are not on the roster. Not to pick on Oakes or Stanley but they both get 3 players on the roster but top 4 teams Velva, Dickinson Trinity, Langdon and Kindred have a total of 6 players between them?

Well position probably plays a role in some teams getting more than others
Some kids do turn it down (for various reasons)
Can't play in Shrine Bowl and Lions All Star game - so those players capable of being on both have to choose
11-man has 3 divisions to pull players from (AAA, AA & A)...usually see several duplicate teams on the 9-man

Trinity has two, Langdon has three, Velva has one, Kindred has one

Velva's key players from All-State are all Juniors so they'll be on it next year I'm sure.
Can't speak to why others aren't on it...I'm sure it's not an easy process and I'm not sure what else is involved in making these decisions
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Shrine Game

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 am

I also think that when you have a coach in the Shrine game they try to make sure you get at least one player. So for example: if the Thompson coach is coaching it probably increases the chances you see a second kid from there. Kids turn it down for a lot of different reasons - going to play college ball and the coaches don't want them hurt, playing baseball, gone for a trip of some sort, working and it's a big time commitment, etc. They then have to fill those spots. Overall I think they usually do a pretty good job of catching who they should - now that doesn't mean everyone goes to play.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Return to A