Re: 2009-10 football realignment

Postby papabutch74 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Wahpetons gunna next year in AA
papabutch74
NDPreps Starter

Postby DeuceTrey » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:12 pm

papabutch74 wrote:Wahpetons gunna next year in AA

gunna what? be in AA, yea we already knew that.
DeuceTrey
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Dawg245 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:27 am

Wahp vs. Shanley next year in the championship
Dawg245
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:18 am

We can have a 16 team AAA league in ND without having four pushovers.

I didn't demand that AAA consists of the top 16 enrollments, I just said that the division should contain 16 teams. I agree that we shouldn't force a 16-team division if we don't have that many teams that can compete at the highest level. But... we do. If Wahpeton, Shanley, and St. Mary's want to man up and opt up to AAA, good for them! They've all faired well at AAA. Throw in Fargo Davies and you've got a great division.

And if Devils Lake ended up being forced to AAA based on enrollment, I wouldn't have any problem with that. They're bigger than Wahpeton, big enough to compete at AAA with the right coach and the right attitude. The NDHSAA catered to DLHS a couple years ago when they allowed them to move to 2A. They are more than double the size of some of their 2A opponents, and they've had plenty of success against the big dogs in boys' basketball. They could play 3A football, but now that they've had a taste of 2A, it'd be tough to force them back to 3A.

Valley City is not 3A material. I agree with you there. They have been 2A ever since the 4 class system was put in place, and 2A is where they belong.

Belcourt is far from 3A material and a whole new ball of wax. I'm not pushing for them to be 3A. We need to be honest with ourselves and admit that circumstances are different for reservation schools, and they cannot compete (in football) where their enrollment would place them.

We agree that we don't want sacrificial lambs in 3A. I just wish they'd agree with us up in Devils Lake. DLHS's lawsuit threat two years ago forced Belcourt into becoming the ultimate 3A sacrificial lamb and allowed DLHS to drop to 2A. To make matters even worse for Belcourt, they were placed in the EAST region. Belcourt is over 300 miles from Wahpeton, 250 from Fargo, and 175 from Grand Forks (their closest conference opponent)!

I know I'm giving the NDHSAA a lot of heat here and I haven't had much positive to say. I think the 12 team AAA is simply a mistake. However, what happened to Belcourt two years ago was an absolute travesty. They were put in a position to fail, and it's no wonder that they bailed out of 3A this year.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby papabutch74 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:53 pm

DeuceTrey wrote:
papabutch74 wrote:Wahpetons gunna next year in AA

gunna what? be in AA, yea we already knew that.

my bad.. theyre gunna kick some serious butt next year with ryan smith
papabutch74
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:32 am

Most AD's think the four class system will be gone in two years. We'll be down to "A", "B" and nine man with our current "AA" going away....And...........if there will only be 12 "AAA" schools will they still have a fourth and fifth place play in game??????? They better drop that to a final four format or else they'll make a mockery out of that division.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball18 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm

larrybird33 wrote:We can have a 16 team AAA league in ND without having four pushovers.

I didn't demand that AAA consists of the top 16 enrollments, I just said that the division should contain 16 teams. I agree that we shouldn't force a 16-team division if we don't have that many teams that can compete at the highest level. But... we do. If Wahpeton, Shanley, and St. Mary's want to man up and opt up to AAA, good for them! They've all faired well at AAA. Throw in Fargo Davies and you've got a great division.

Believe me St. Mary's does not want to play AA, just ask their athletic director/head coach Dan Smrekar!!! He's the last one that wants to play in AA because he knows SM can compete in AAA because they have before and he wants so badly to return them to what they were in the 80's and early/mid 90's. It's a numbers game.
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby larrybird33 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Interesting article in the Bismarck Tribune about all the changes in store for ND high school football next year.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles ... 170384.txt

You'll read that Hazen and Watford City are dealing with declining enrollment. I'd have no complaint if they fell to Class 1A status with 16 teams in the 3A and 2A divisions. They were probably drifting toward 1A status under any plan, but it would've happened years down the road under the old plan.

It's also interesting to me to see how much bigger Devils Lake is compared to the rest of the AA schools. They have 105 more boys than the next 2A school. Heck, you could combine the 2nd largest AA school (Wahpeton) with another AA school (Lisbon), and that "co-op" would be about the same size as Devils Lake!
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby larrybird33 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Before you call someone an idiot, you better study up a little bit. It is very possible for two east teams (or two west teams) to make the championship game. For example, it can happen if the #2 team from one region beats the #1 team from the other region in the semifinals. A recent example of an all west final is Beulah vs. Trinity in 2006.
larrybird33
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dawg245 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:27 pm

o sorry i forgot nobody really cares about AA when they've played AAA all their life. im sorry if i don't know how u guys do you're playoff scenario all i know is that most people could care less about the early game on the championship night they want to watch the bismarck south games.
Dawg245
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 am

Wait until 2011/2012...That's when you will see a bigger shakeup. I expect the 9-man division will see a huge increase in teams because the class "A" division will pretty much look like todays class "AA"....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby click clack moo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 pm

Dawg 245 wrote---->
o sorry i forgot nobody really cares about AA when they've played AAA all their life. im sorry if i don't know how u guys do you're playoff scenario all i know is that most people could care less about the early game on the championship night they want to watch the bismarck south games.

can i ask you a question dawg??? if you are so sure that AAA is so much better and you dont care about AA then why are you posting in this forum.. idk it might just be me but the fact that you posting in this forum goes against everything you just said about not caring in your previous post
click clack moo
NDPreps Starter

Postby eggman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 pm

larrybird33 wrote:We've really opened up a whole bunch of new topics here, and maybe they should be dealt with separately. Maybe we can deal with basketball on the basketball board. I am open to some changes being made in class B basketball.

Steve, I think that your "expand 2A" proposal has been addressed. That would definitely be a healthy 2A class, but I don't like what it would do to 3A. Four reasons:

1) I don't like the idea of only 12 teams competing for one trophy. Your plan splits the 32 largest schools into divisions of 12 and 20 teams. I'd prefer 16 and 16. Agree to disagree on that one.

2) A 12 team AAA creates more nonconference games in AAA and forces teams to travel farther to fill those games. We've both provided examples - Williston to Jamestown/Grand Forks, Fargo South to Edina, ect.

3) AA would have zero nonconference games. I think teams need a nonconference game or two, (but not four) to work out the kinks.

4) AA would include teams that have been competitive (St. Mary's and Shanley) and very successful (Wahpeton) at the AAA level.

I think there will come a time when Wahpeton, St. Mary's, and Shanley will be clear-cut 2A schools. I think that time is 10+ years down the road, when we have Fargo Davies and additional high schools in West Fargo and Bismarck in place. I'm saying that the NDHSAA's move was premature. The restructuring could have waited, in my opinion.
How about having AA schools not play every team in the region every year.
eggman

Postby In_the_Know » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 pm

Found this old topic searching for this board using google. So what does everyone think? Seemed like the conversation got really heated a times. To some they made it seem like it was the end of high school sports. Seems like Shanley, Wahpeton and St. Mary's fit right in at the 2A football level. I can't imagine how many kids would get hurt of St. Mary's had to play against Bismarck, South or Century.

I guess I feel like they got it all right. To me it seems like AA football got a lot better when it expanded to 16 teams. You started see better coaching, better offenses, great players and more interest in the football.
In_the_Know
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 am

The entire landscape has changed so much since this was written. Look at all the talk about population decline in the old thread.

West Fargo and Bismarck have new schools on the horizon and AAA will grow to 16 teams. This would've bumped Shanley, Wahpeton and St. Mary's to 2A anyway. I think the main beef at the time was the fact that these schools had been competitive in 3A and were not allowed to opt up.

There was talk at this time about shrinking 3A even further to ten schools and bumping Williston and Dickinson to 2A. Seems crazy now, eh?

Shanley has been dominant, but the 2A league as a whole is balanced and competitive. It turned out that this move was inevitable due to the growth in the 3A schools and towns, so I'm not sure what's left to debate here.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to AA