Whapeton and Shanley to AA??

The teams in Class AA.

Whapeton and Shanley to AA??

Postby ndfan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:58 pm

I was watching KVLY 11 tonight and saw that Whapeton and Shanley will be moving down to AA in 2009. Was actually said that Shanley is petitioning to stay in AAA. Thoughts on these moves?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Whapeton and Shanley to AA??

Postby point/center » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:34 pm

it is what it is. change is inevitable....here's more

NDHSAA ready to approve changes
Eric Peterson
The Forum - 04/23/2008

It’s looking more likely Fargo Shanley and Wahpeton will be North Dakota Class 2A football teams for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

“It’s not final, but at this point this is what the board has approved,” North Dakota High School Activities Association Assistant Executive Secretary Dave Carlsrud said.

Shanley and Wahpeton have been Class 3A teams since the NDHSAA moved to four classes in 1997.

Last week, the Class 3A football schools made a request to the NDHSAA board of directors – through the football committee – to increase the new plan’s proposed number from 12 to 14. The board denied that request.

Class 3A had 16 teams last season. At the start of March, Shanley sent in a letter of request to play up a division, Shanley athletic director Randy Nelson said.

“We would like to play 3A if that option presented itself,” Nelson said. “If that does not happen, we are 100 percent behind the decisions made by the high school activities association. We understand they are looking out for the best interests of all member schools and the athletes.”

Wahpeton has taken a similar position.

“Our stand is we are going to play where we’re put,” said Wahpeton athletic director and head football coach Mike McCall.” If we end up in 3A, we end up in 3A. If we end up in 2A, we end up in 2A.

“I think the community and the school has always taken pride that we have been able to compete at that (3A) level. It’s going to be different, it really is.”

The final plan won’t be presented to the NDHSAA membership until October.

A preliminary plan will be sent out before the end of April for feedback. While there could be minor tweaks to where some teams end up in the plan with changes in co-ops, the plan’s structure will remain the same: 12 teams in Class 3A, 16 teams in Class 2A, 32 teams in Class 1A and the remaining teams in 9-man.

Decisions will have to be made on how to structure the new 12-team Class 3A.

Is there one conference that houses all 12 teams or two six-team conferences? If teams split into two six-team divisions, that would leave four non-conference dates for teams to schedule, based on the current nine games allowed in the regular season.

“Trying to fill four open dates in North Dakota is going to be somewhat difficult,” Fargo South athletic director Cory Lehman said. “Whatever they develop, we are going to make it work as ADs.”
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby freshysoon » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:39 pm

i dont no too many who r movin down to AA but i do for the ones movin down to A its i think hazen and watford city and a couple more but not til 2010
freshysoon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:02 pm

If anyone is moving divisions it will be the 2009 season. The NDHSAA uses a 2 year plan for fball. Once they place you in a division you are stuck there for two seasons. No coops are granted in between plans or anything. The next time things will change will be for the 2011 season, but 2010 will be the same as 2009.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HeHateMe » Thu May 01, 2008 11:59 am

So Shanley and Wahpeton will for sure be AA this next season?
HeHateMe
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Thu May 01, 2008 1:22 pm

No, they'll be "AAA".....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm

I wish the NDHSAA would release a preliminary plan for what they are thinking about doing for 2009 so we can see who they are looking at moving to another division.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby mike thingstad » Thu May 01, 2008 2:24 pm

They sent out the numbers already. Somebody in your school has them. Football coach or Admin. These might change with coops, but they have been sent out.
mike thingstad
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mandan » Mon May 05, 2008 12:48 pm

I also posted the AAA, AA and top A numbers that were in the Jan 29 Bismarck Tribune in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4533&start=0
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball07 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:06 am

I believe hazen will be moving down to A in 2 years..i think it will be funny to see a single a team woop up on a double a team in the cowl bowl against beulah haha..pretty sure that trophy will be staying in hazen for awhile.
baseball07

Postby ndfootballfan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:15 pm

A draft of the new schedules showed Whap Shanley as well as St. Marys will be moving down to AA
ndfootballfan

Postby baseball18 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 am

scruffy wrote:No, they'll be "AAA".....

No, Wahpteton, Shanley, and St. Mary's are all moving down to AA for next year... the trib showed the districts or new alignment or whatever the other day
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Return to AA