to be "AA" or not.....

The teams in Class AA.

Re: to be "AA" or not.....

Postby scruffy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:28 am

I really think the three class system will be reality within a few short years. That's the only true solution. If you look at "AAA" and "AA" today only half the teams are competitive... AND....half the teams make the playoffs. It really makes the opening round meaningless because qualifying for the playoffs is no accomplishment. That's the same reason why the state "A" basketball tournaments seem so insignificant (especially the first round). A final four would make it better but now nearly half the teams qualify for state....BIG DEAL......
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby silentbob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:41 pm

scruffy wrote:I really think the three class system will be reality within a few short years. That's the only true solution. If you look at "AAA" and "AA" today only half the teams are competitive... AND....half the teams make the playoffs. It really makes the opening round meaningless because qualifying for the playoffs is no accomplishment. That's the same reason why the state "A" basketball tournaments seem so insignificant (especially the first round). A final four would make it better but now nearly half the teams qualify for state....BIG DEAL......

Very nice point Scruffy!
silentbob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:32 am

silentbob wrote:
scruffy wrote:I really think the three class system will be reality within a few short years. That's the only true solution. If you look at "AAA" and "AA" today only half the teams are competitive... AND....half the teams make the playoffs. It really makes the opening round meaningless because qualifying for the playoffs is no accomplishment. That's the same reason why the state "A" basketball tournaments seem so insignificant (especially the first round). A final four would make it better but now nearly half the teams qualify for state....BIG DEAL......

Very nice point Scruffy!

dear ndhsaa,

please bring back the 3 class football system (A, B, 9 man) and the great rivalries that the 4 class system took away.
letsgosox

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:38 pm

AGREED!! Also, while you're at it, change the Super A bball tournament to a 4 team tourney for boys and girls. That way its more of an accomplishment to make it to state and the class A teams can get the same TV exposure so they don't complain about class B.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:51 pm

letsgosox wrote:
silentbob wrote:

Very nice point Scruffy!

dear ndhsaa,

please bring back the 3 class football system (A, B, 9 man) and the great rivalries that the 4 class system took away.

I really think the NDHSAA should bring back the three class system... I would lead to some very good natural rivalries... Trinity losing their rivalries with Killdeer a few years ago and now Hazen and Watford in the near future I think have, and will really hurt football in the Western part of the state... When I played in High School Killdeer was a class down but they always gave Trinity one of their top three to four games of the year... thats including playoffs! They always came to play... and that's to be expected from a team thats only 30 miles to the North.

Regardless of what the NDHSAA decides to do there will always be people who are unhappy about it... Though I've gotta say I'm excited that the Titans could potentially be playing against every Catholic school in the state in the same year... Minot Ryan, St. Mary's and Shanley... It would be fun to see and potentially could replace the Watford, and the Hazen rivalries... Who I for the record have no problem with moving down... in 4 to 6 years Trinity will have to re-think what they're doing also... but have some very good classes coming up and is the reason why they decided to stay up... they will be able to compete in the near future... while number drop of significantly for Hazen and Watford
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:42 am

With Watford, Bowman and Hazen moving down, Trinity may do the same sooner then later. Our travel expenses will soar and moving down is one way we can slow down our rising costs. The cost of renting the university's stadium, the stadium security cost, not getting any concession revenue and cost of travel is making football a big "money loser" for Dickinson High and Trinity and I know that is a huge concern for both schools...
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NorthDakota11 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:37 pm

scruffy wrote:With Watford, Bowman and Hazen moving down, Trinity may do the same sooner then later. Our travel expenses will soar and moving down is one way we can slow down our rising costs. The cost of renting the university's stadium, the stadium security cost, not getting any concession revenue and cost of travel is making football a big "money loser" for Dickinson High and Trinity and I know that is a huge concern for both schools...

I agree with you on the "big money loser" for the High Schools in Dickinson, but I think this is a problem for lots of schools across the state... Football is and always will be a very expensive sport and its only getting more costly... but I don't think its fair to the kids to move down if you think you can compete... Moving down is the last option I think... if the coaching staff thinks the team can compete for two more years (High School activities re-thinks it that often) why move down? Stay up as long as you can... its not only good for football in the state but I think it also gives the school some pride being able to play up a class and compete... I think Trinity can be competitive for at least another 6 years at the AA level... They've got some players coming up...

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby mike thingstad » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:42 pm

The oil boom in western ND may change a lot of numbers by 2009 when the new regions are due to come out.
mike thingstad
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:46 pm

The last thing Trinity wants to do is move down. That wouldn't be fair to the student/athletes. But....sadly, money does talk.
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby NorthDakota11 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:00 pm

I think everyone in Dickinson would love for the Oil Boom to help things out... I don't know if it will have as much of an affect as people hope... the Coal Gasification plants going up my help the whole Southwestern part of the state though!

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballFather » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Watford City has 38 out for football for this season. I can remember when they had over 80 and it hasn't been that meny years ago. It will be tough for them to compete with some of the bigger schools that have bigger enrollments.
BasketballFather
NDPreps Reserve

Postby freshysoon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:33 pm

the reason why hazen is dropping to "A" is because last year they had what 60 guys this year they have 42 yea and next year they will probablly have abotu 40 again so thats y there dropping.
freshysoon
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:41 pm

It has nothing to do with how many are out for the team. It has to do with total male enrollment in grades 7-10. The top 12 schools go AAA, the next 16 AA, the next 32 A, and whoever is left is 9man.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby champ24 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:13 am

I think the point that is trying to be made is that these schools enrollment numbers are dropping, therefore less and less numbers for football. Whatever decision is made is not going to be well received by all. Such is life. Someone is going to feel that they are being screwed. Unfortunately, it is something that is going to continue for the coming years. Worse yet, there really is no way to please everyone.
champ24

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:41 am

According the NDHSAA, Watford currently has 110 boys eligible to play and Hazen has 103. Both teams have around 40 out, which may be lower than normal for those two schools, but still plenty to have a competitive team.

In 9man, Lakota has 38 boys eligible to play and 30 are out for the team. A huge number for 9man. Also, Divide only has around 45 boys in high school and I'm guessing they have over 30 playing as well.

A lot of it comes down to building a winning tradition, pride in the program, and the coach getting all the kids to participate all the way down to 7th grade or before. Just because there aren't many kids in a school doesn't mean the fball team needs to struggle for numbers.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby gator1o » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 pm

ok i dont understand why whapeton shanley and st. marys are moving down they are staying competitive in AAA as far as i know they won there opening games i dont know how they did in the second week but they are staying competitive. and hazen and watford city are moving down when they have 40 kids out for football rugby played ryan last weekend and it look like ryan had like 30 some kids thats not even as many as velva who is a class below idk what they should do it just seems like some teams are going to move down and have an unfair advantage over them like there is now. there is no definate solution to this problem but NDHSAA i think will make the best decsions for the state football programs and i hope they do there will always be a problem where some schools have more kids then others but its a problem teams have to deal with to get better athletes out on the field
gator1o
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 am

It is not the schools decision...This is a NDHSAA decision
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:18 pm

I wonder how young you can start playing football in places like Hazen and Watford City? What they need to do in the mid-sized communities is start a flag football program to get the kids to accept playing football at a younger age, and get the parents (Moms) adjusted to allowing their son's to play such a rough sport. The Larger communities have organized tackle football for really young kids, so they have the exposure already.

My two cents.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:37 pm

NDSportsFan wrote:I wonder how young you can start playing football in places like Hazen and Watford City? What they need to do in the mid-sized communities is start a flag football program to get the kids to accept playing football at a younger age, and get the parents (Moms) adjusted to allowing their son's to play such a rough sport. The Larger communities have organized tackle football for really young kids, so they have the exposure already.

My two cents.

Ino Devils Lake an Carrington have tackle football for 4th grade i belive an up
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison423 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:13 pm

in hazen there is a 5th and 6th grade fb league but i dont no bout watford
Bison423
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm

5th and 6th is pretty young, I know some of the smaller communities don't have a lot. I just remember being High School age and lots of kids didn't go out because their Mom's didn't want them to get hurt.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:30 am

NDSportsFan wrote:5th and 6th is pretty young, I know some of the smaller communities don't have a lot. I just remember being High School age and lots of kids didn't go out because their Mom's didn't want them to get hurt.

Small towns that have 5th and 6th grade football...

Lamoure
Oakes
Milnor
Lisbon
Wyndmere
Hankinson
Fairmount
Carrington
New Rockford
BCN, Hope, Cooperstown, Maple Valley, kids play with Valley City
Enderlin, Gwinner, Sargent Central, play with Milnor or Lisbon.
Edgely, kids play with Lamoure
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
NDSportsFan wrote:5th and 6th is pretty young, I know some of the smaller communities don't have a lot. I just remember being High School age and lots of kids didn't go out because their Mom's didn't want them to get hurt.

Small towns that have 5th and 6th grade football...

Lamoure
Oakes
Milnor
Lisbon
Wyndmere
Hankinson
Fairmount
Carrington
New Rockford
BCN, Hope, Cooperstown, Maple Valley, kids play with Valley City
Enderlin, Gwinner, Sargent Central, play with Milnor or Lisbon.
Edgely, kids play with Lamoure

Central Cass 5th & 6th Graders play in the F-M Football league. I believe Kindred does too. Central Cass 3rd & 4th Graders play flag football.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby brockstar41 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:39 pm

scruffy wrote:With Watford, Bowman and Hazen moving down, Trinity may do the same sooner then later. Our travel expenses will soar and moving down is one way we can slow down our rising costs. The cost of renting the university's stadium, the stadium security cost, not getting any concession revenue and cost of travel is making football a big "money loser" for Dickinson High and Trinity and I know that is a huge concern for both schools...

Don't complain. Small schools like Carrington aren't and they have to travel all the way to Dickinson. Trinity is a private school I'm sure there's money somewhere.
brockstar41
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan33 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:02 pm

brockstar41
Don't complain. Small schools like Carrington aren't and they have to travel all the way to Dickinson. Trinity is a private school I'm sure there's money somewhere.[/quote]

Brockstar 41 u should just stop talkin bout carrington.. ur probly not in any sports either and its obvious u go to school there.. so seriously will u stop sayin stuff bout carrington in like every topic
sportsfan33
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to AA