Playoff Picture

The teams in Class AA.

Postby yaya » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 am

Alright, in two weeks the playoffs will be under way.  I know the exact seeds are still undecided, but what's some input on how the playoffs are gonna turn out and what teams are really gonna make a run?
yaya
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Claz B Fan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Dickinson Trinity at Rugby  I pick Rugby

Beulah at Oak Grove  I pick Oak Grove

Lisbon at Watford City I pick Watford City

Hatton Northwood at Hazen I pick Hazen

Oak Grove at Hazen = Hazen

Watford at Rugby = Rugby

Rugby vs Hazen in the large potato bin Ill take Rugby to win State AA

These are my predicitons nothing is for sure except Rugby being number one seed in the east
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby froggy » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 pm

[font=georgia]im sorry Claz B Fan but the seeds havent been made final yet. so i dont know where you got that from.[/font]
froggy

Postby ndfan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:25 pm

If you look at the last statement he made it was "These are my predicitons nothing is for sure except Rugby being number one seed in the east". I won't speak for him but I'm guessing he was predicting what he thinks will happen in the playoffs.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfootball06 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 pm

if im not mistaken i believe grafton still has a good chance at the playoffs, is this true, how will it play out?
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballcrasher » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:48 pm

I don't think Trinity's going to be fourth, that requires Beulah to beat Hazen in the COAL BOWL....not happening. So.....

Beulah at Rugby  I pick Rugby

Trinity at Oak Grove  I pick Trinity

Lisbon at Watford City I pick Watford City

Hatton Northwood at Hazen I pick Hazen

Trinity at Hazen = Trinity

Watford at Rugby = Watford

Trinty vs. Watford in the "HOME OF THE SIOUX" ...I think Trinity will pull it together and make it BACK TO BACK.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:29 pm

[user=1054]ndfootball06[/user] wrote:
if im not mistaken i believe grafton still has a good chance at the playoffs, is this true, how will it play out?

Grafton does have a slight chance but they would have to beat Lisbon and I don't see that happening.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Notorious » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Trinity does not appear to be as talented as in past years; however, having a history of success and a winning tradition can carry a team in the playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it all.  I think Hazen may be the favorite, but Trinity could pull off some magic.  All eight teams will likely pray to God for victory; however, of the eight, Trinity probably does it best ??
Notorious
NDPreps Starter

Postby boysbballfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:16 pm

This year has been a year of who brings their A game on that night. There has been only one real dominate team Rugby the rest have been all pretty close games between the playoff teams so I think the playoffs should be really exciting and alot of close games.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsubisonfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:20 pm

Hazen just defeated Beulah 20-14 in the annual Coal Bowl tonight. sounded like a pretty good game. game was tied 0-0 in the first half and 14-14 at the beginning of the 4th until hazen tacked on another 6 halfway through the 4th.
So this is how the playoff picture should turn out.. i think..

Beulah at Rugby
Trinity at Oak Grove 
Lisbon at Watford City
Hatton Northwood at Hazen
ndsubisonfan

Postby rep » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:43 pm

here are the records i've got for the east region...let me know if they are botched. no clue on west region records.

[font=Nimrod MT]Beulah at Rugby (9-0)[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Trinity at Oak Grove (7-2)[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Lisbon (6-3) at Watford City[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Hatton Northwood (6-3) at Hazen[/font]

rep

Postby ndfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Anybody here how the Grafton-Lisbon game went? I see Trinity has to travel right away, will be interesting to see how they do on the road. Sounds like this division is up in the air for once and not just a one or two team race.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsubisonfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 pm

all i know is that the playoffs could go to anyone... the one game i'm looking forward to hearing from is beulah and rugby. i think beulah could pull this one off. hard to say because no ranked west teams have played rugby yet.
ndsubisonfan

Postby ndfbfan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:29 pm

ndsubisonfan wrote:all i know is that the playoffs could go to anyone... the one game i'm looking forward to hearing from is beulah and rugby. i think beulah could pull this one off. hard to say because no ranked west teams have played rugby yet.

Good point. The first round will determine how the east stacks up against the west. Beulah is hurting big time though. Michaelson came out during the hazen game, as did Hatzenbuhler. Zacher was getting up slower and slower as the game went on, and two of their starting linemen went down as well. That could hurt them unless they can get healthy soon. As for the game, Hazen ran 70 offensive plays which for a 48 minute game is crazy. They racked up over 400 yards of offense. Beulah had 175 yards of offense with 106 of them coming on two pass plays. It was a physical smash mouth football game in the mud. I'm glad I don't have to do the players laundry!!
ndfbfan

Postby digger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:47 am

I've seen each of the East teams at least a couple of times, the only West team I've seen play is Hazen.  (Very impressed with them)  From the rankings throughout the year it appears as though the power is out West, it will be interesting to see if this indeed is the case.  For what it's worth my take on the East teams:

Rugby: Alot of offensive weapons, terrific passing game and running game.  Hard to shut them down if field/weather conditions are good.  Very good defensively but not quite as dominant as they are on offense.  Be interesting to see them against a smash mouth type of team.  Good kicking game, they haven't had to punt much!

Oak Grove:  Defensively they fly to the ball, speed at every defensive position.  Average size defensively but they hit a ton.  They are primarily a running team, don't mix it up much.  A deceptive, quick hitting running attack.  Best kicker in the state in any division, the kid is a real weapon for a high school team, especially in a close game.

Lisbon:  Solid on both sides of the ball.  They won't knock your socks off with any aspect of their game, but they do a good job at all aspects, including special teams.  They will have a solid game plan and have the players to play with anyone.  They have been a bit susceptible to giving up "big" plays this year.

Hatton-Northwood:  Balanced offensively, they throw the ball very well and look to create mismatches with defensive backs who might not see this diverse an offense very often.  Good athletes who can make big plays.  Don't have a great deal of depth and this hurts them against bigger and deeper teams. Kicking/punting not real strong.  
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:42 am

the ndhsaa site has watford city's record at 7-1 with their lone loss comign to hazen...sound right?
rep

Postby bballcrasher » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:08 pm

rep wrote:the ndhsaa site has watford city's record at 7-1 with their lone loss comign to hazen...sound right?

Yes, sounds right, unless they lost a nonconference.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:20 pm

[font=Nimrod MT]so this should be all of the records for the aa opening round[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT][/font] 

[font=Nimrod MT]Class AA Football Playoffs[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Opening round – Oct. 28[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Beulah (6-3) at Rugby (9-0)[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Dickinson Trinity (6-2) at Oak Grove (7-2)[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Lisbon (6-3) at Watford City (7-1)[/font]

[font=Nimrod MT]Hatton Northwood (6-3) at Hazen[/font][font=Nimrod MT] (7-1)[/font]
Last edited by rep on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby point/center » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:18 am

anyone that see's those travel distances for opening round playoffs think we need some changes?
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:13 am

Nope
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballcrasher » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:16 am

point/center wrote:anyone that see's those travel distances for opening round playoffs think we need some changes?

If that's the case...why don't we just go to a BCS method of the playoffs....er, no playoffs. Let's just have Rugby and Hazen play for the Championship in the Rose Bowl at Bismarck....

No, it's not a problem. That's the beauty of winning your division and gaining HOME FIELD advantage...that the other team actually has to travel to your house....make the drive to your field. We live in a state with lot of area, it happens, always has been this way, no need to rock the boat now.
Last edited by bballcrasher on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:23 am

[user=24]bballcrasher[/user] wrote:
point/center wrote:anyone that see's those travel distances for opening round playoffs think we need some changes?

If that's the case...why don't we just go to a BSC method of the playoffs....er, no playoffs. Let's just have Rugby and Hazen play for the Championship in the Rose Bowl at Bismarck....

No, it's not a problem. That's the beauty of winning your division and gaining HOME FIELD advantage...that the other team actually has to travel to your house....make the drive to your field. We live in a state with lot of area, it happens, always has been this way, no need to rock the boat now.

Agreed!
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:42 am

ndfan wrote:[user=24]bballcrasher[/user] wrote:

If that's the case...why don't we just go to a BSC method of the playoffs....er, no playoffs. Let's just have Rugby and Hazen play for the Championship in the Rose Bowl at Bismarck....

?

Agreed!

I also agree. To tell you the truth, when I played, I loved to travel to other schools. It is all part of the experience. Not only that, but just like in the NFL, you play your divisional opponents knowing that if you win your region, you get the home field. Absolutely no reason to change this system.
ndfbfan

Postby rkmt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:58 am

You're right.  Memories of sports trips can be awesome - they are part of high school.  And earning home field is great, too.  But it's just that - earned.  In ND you know you are going to drive for a lot of things, so sometimes it's going to be 5 hours to play a football game.   
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby Claz B Fan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:54 am

+++++++++++
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to AA