Schools

Statewide Girls Hockey!

Schools

Postby Eleven » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:48 pm

I am wondering peoples opinions on Bismarck schools and Grand Forks schools being able to be putting there schools together to play High School Hockey. What are your opinions?

I think that if Hazen can put together a girls High School team Bismarck Century and High, and Red River and Central can put together teams. If they can not affiliate themselves with a school mabye they should be placed in 19U and play the club programs with Bottineau and Wahpeton.

It is hard to believe that they have to put schools together to make a team in those 2 cities. If Hazen or Williston can put together a team with Hazen/Beulah (500 students) Williston(900 students) how can Bismarck High(2100 students) not be able to?
Last edited by Eleven on Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleven
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Schools

Postby fiveholer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 pm

I totally agree. It would grow the whole league stronger and provide more opportunities
fiveholer
NDPreps Rookie

Postby mplsfan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:47 pm

I was just thinking the same thing. I didn't know if this topic had been discussed here so I checked and here it is. I understand that Bottineau is adding girls hockey for next season. I know the school board approved it, not sure if it's been presented to the NDHSAA yet. If Bottineau (enrollment-288, 9-12) on it's own can struggle to put together a girls program in order to let the girls participate then certainly Bismarck High, Century, GF Central and Red River should be able and be expected to field their own teams. Sure the Bismarck teams seperately may not be as strong as a combined team. However in the interest of allowing more girls to participate and I would think in the interest of allowing girls hockey to grow in the state I seems they should have to have teams at each school.
mplsfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 am

I see this as a easy answer for the Bismarck schools i dont know about GF, but in Bismarck CHS, BHS, and SMCHS have more oppertunities both BHS and CHS seem to be better at basketball which draws a lot more intrest into their programs and leaving the few girls that dont have intrest in basketball to choose between hockey and nothing. As of right now there are few girls that want to play puck here...however within the next couple years with how good the Bismarck girls hockey program is seemingly doing I could see them seperating into both schools.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Orr4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:51 am

I agree with Sauce. Bismarck does have a very good 16U/12U programs. Won state mulitple times. But then I have to disagree with him also. Yes Bismarck is a basketball town, but so is Williston. I think Bismarck should do the same thing that the boys do, have a BHS team and a CHS team and let the girls from SMHS choose who they want to play for. Granted, Bismarck wouldn't be a powerhouse team like they are now, but it could always present itself with better opportunities for both teams as well. It would give girls who got cut (if some did get cut) a chance to play more hockey at a higher level and improve their skills.
Life is a Game, Hockey is Serious
Orr4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SiouxCrioux » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Are you saying it would be financially beneficial to run two teams, in the same school district, with 9-10 players on each team? I know Bismarck has not cut girls from their team, since the inception of the program, as the numbers just are not there. Due to the increased numbers of girls that are beginning hockey at a much younger age, that could certainly become feasible in the future, but right now, with economic times as they are, I cannot see the point of funding two teams with so few girls on each team.
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." ~ Wayne Gretzky
SiouxCrioux
NDPreps Starter

Return to Girls hockey