State Hockey

Statewide Girls Hockey!

State Hockey

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:20 am

Congrats to the Bismarck Blizzard for winning the state championship, and to Grand Forks for making it an exciting final. But I have to admit that it was strange that they had an all-tournament team with players from only 2 teams (Bismarck and West Fargo), and no players from Grand Forks or any other team. You would think there would be an incentive to try to promote the sport a little more by recognizing kids from across the state who dedicate a lot of time to a sport that isn't widely followed.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: State Hockey

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Its obvious to me that there is an anti-Grand Forks bias at the state hockey tournament.

The Grand Forks teams got zero calls from the officials.

The All-tournament teams heavily slanted toward the west, both genders

Even the sound crew used the UND goal song for goals by west-region teams. At the Ralph, they put that song away and no one gets it.

It is what it is, but the west should feel pretty filthy right now. Minot was a legit boys champion. A co-op of Bismarck-Bismarck Century-Bismarck Legacy-Bismarck St. Marys-Bismarck Shiloh Christian (for a while, even Kidder County was in there) should be ashamed of scoring 13 goals against Dickinson.

It's clear the west doesn't have a lot of experience with success at the state tournament. Otherwise, they'd behave as if they had been there before.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:42 pm

heimer wrote:Its obvious to me that there is an anti-Grand Forks bias at the state hockey tournament.

The Grand Forks teams got zero calls from the officials.

The All-tournament teams heavily slanted toward the west, both genders

Even the sound crew used the UND goal song for goals by west-region teams. At the Ralph, they put that song away and no one gets it.

It is what it is, but the west should feel pretty filthy right now. Minot was a legit boys champion. A co-op of Bismarck-Bismarck Century-Bismarck Legacy-Bismarck St. Marys-Bismarck Shiloh Christian (for a while, even Kidder County was in there) should be ashamed of scoring 13 goals against Dickinson.

It's clear the west doesn't have a lot of experience with success at the state tournament. Otherwise, they'd behave as if they had been there before.

I guess I saw that the all-tournament teams were heavily slanted towards the teams that won, but I would think they could have pick a player or two who accomplished a lot by simply getting their teams there and tried to compete. I have to agree that cheering for a team that is represented by 5 high schools was pretty tough especially since they play 8th and 9th graders, and have upperclassmen on the bench.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hockeynut » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Both girls teams in the championship game should have 2 teams. Ridiculous that they don't.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby go maji » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm

So who gets the actual trophy? Because Bismarck isn't one school.
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby hockeynut » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm

go maji wrote:So who gets the actual trophy? Because Bismarck isn't one school.

I'm sure it will be displayed at their home rink, Schaumberg Arena.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 pm

hockeynut wrote:
go maji wrote:So who gets the actual trophy? Because Bismarck isn't one school.

I'm sure it will be displayed at their home rink, Schaumberg Arena.

Pretty much like all the other traveling team trophies.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Girls hockey