Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Statewide Girls Hockey!

Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Plenty of players in both cities to have 2 teams. It's about development. Ridiculous there isn't.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:45 am

I agree with you. I think the numbers and interest in girls hockey would increase dramatically across the board. Also, it will be interesting to see what the numbers are in West Fargo with the new school starting up. Mandan impressed me at the state tourney. They have built a strong program around a relatively small pool of kids.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15 am

Bismarcks U19 team would of easily made the state tourney this year. It's ridiculous not to allow those girls play at the highest level possible in the state. Grand Forks same thing. It would be nice to have a west and east region tourney for girls and it can be done. I agree with you on Mandan. Dewitt Mack is a good coach and his girls play hard for him. Getting to state for first time and winning a game there will do there program wonders. Look at Jamestown and the success they had the previous 2 years. Their youth program has exploded.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:21 pm

hockeynut wrote:Bismarcks U19 team would of easily made the state tourney this year. It's ridiculous not to allow those girls play at the highest level possible in the state. Grand Forks same thing. It would be nice to have a west and east region tourney for girls and it can be done. I agree with you on Mandan. Dewitt Mack is a good coach and his girls play hard for him. Getting to state for first time and winning a game there will do there program wonders. Look at Jamestown and the success they had the previous 2 years. Their youth program has exploded.

I do not really understand how a traveling program is even playing while the school season is going on especially in towns like Grand Forks and Bismarck where the hockey clubs are helping out with the school teams. There isn't a lot of disappointment expressed that there is only one team because kids still get to play. In fact, some choose not to even tryout for the high school team because they can get more play time in 19U, then those high school programs can claim that the numbers are not there because not too many kids tried out.

Some won't agree with me, but it also can hurt individual standout athletes by not having more players to face. For example, the championship girls game featured 2 outstanding goalies from towns that may be able to field more than one team. It would have been more impressive to watch them fight off more shots than they did.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby go maji » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:13 pm

I also think that it's unfair that Bismarck has a super team that anyone from Bismarck can join. If your school can't field enough players, you shouldn't have a team.
go maji
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm
Location: Minot, North Dakota

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:11 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Bismarcks U19 team would of easily made the state tourney this year. It's ridiculous not to allow those girls play at the highest level possible in the state. Grand Forks same thing. It would be nice to have a west and east region tourney for girls and it can be done. I agree with you on Mandan. Dewitt Mack is a good coach and his girls play hard for him. Getting to state for first time and winning a game there will do there program wonders. Look at Jamestown and the success they had the previous 2 years. Their youth program has exploded.

I do not really understand how a traveling program is even playing while the school season is going on especially in towns like Grand Forks and Bismarck where the hockey clubs are helping out with the school teams. There isn't a lot of disappointment expressed that there is only one team because kids still get to play. In fact, some choose not to even tryout for the high school team because they can get more play time in 19U, then those high school programs can claim that the numbers are not there because not too many kids tried out.

Some won't agree with me, but it also can hurt individual standout athletes by not having more players to face. For example, the championship girls game featured 2 outstanding goalies from towns that may be able to field more than one team. It would have been more impressive to watch them fight off more shots than they did.

So playing inferior competition is a good thing? Like the poster above said having 1 super team isn't fair to the rest of the state. Wouldn't it be better for the sport to field some more teams so these girls could have a east and west region tourney like the boys? I think it would get more girls playing knowing that some day they could get to a state tourney and possibly get on tv. The sport will never grow in my opinion if it stays at 11 or fewer teams. It needs to grow.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:55 am

hockeynut wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Bismarcks U19 team would of easily made the state tourney this year. It's ridiculous not to allow those girls play at the highest level possible in the state. Grand Forks same thing. It would be nice to have a west and east region tourney for girls and it can be done. I agree with you on Mandan. Dewitt Mack is a good coach and his girls play hard for him. Getting to state for first time and winning a game there will do there program wonders. Look at Jamestown and the success they had the previous 2 years. Their youth program has exploded.

I do not really understand how a traveling program is even playing while the school season is going on especially in towns like Grand Forks and Bismarck where the hockey clubs are helping out with the school teams. There isn't a lot of disappointment expressed that there is only one team because kids still get to play. In fact, some choose not to even tryout for the high school team because they can get more play time in 19U, then those high school programs can claim that the numbers are not there because not too many kids tried out.

Some won't agree with me, but it also can hurt individual standout athletes by not having more players to face. For example, the championship girls game featured 2 outstanding goalies from towns that may be able to field more than one team. It would have been more impressive to watch them fight off more shots than they did.

So playing inferior competition is a good thing? Like the poster above said having 1 super team isn't fair to the rest of the state. Wouldn't it be better for the sport to field some more teams so these girls could have a east and west region tourney like the boys? I think it would get more girls playing knowing that some day they could get to a state tourney and possibly get on tv. The sport will never grow in my opinion if it stays at 11 or fewer teams. It needs to grow.

Most sports doesn't have a traveling season going on at the same time as the school program. I am curious if all the players that play 19U in ND actually tried out for their high school teams. If these kids don't actually go out, how does the schools know that there is a need for 2 teams? I think it would help girls hockey grow in participation and fan base if there were more teams, but I also think so many athletes want guarantees and are afraid of getting cut or not getting a lot of play time.

I don't know if Bismarck is considered a "super" team, but I felt like they were run like a top notch traveling team rather than a high school team. It was great watching BHS boys finally bring a boys championship to the west, and a small Mandan program make such a strong presence at the girls tournament. Those events will hopefully increase the level of interest in the sport.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Believe me girls will get plenty of ice time if there were 2 high school teams in those cities. Would a player rather have a chance to go to a state high school tourney with it's atmosphere or a U19 state tourney. Pretty simple answer in my book. They would also get a heck of a lot more exposure as far as wanting to continue to play in college. To me it's a no brainer.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

hockeynut wrote:Believe me girls will get plenty of ice time if there were 2 high school teams in those cities. Would a player rather have a chance to go to a state high school tourney with it's atmosphere or a U19 state tourney. Pretty simple answer in my book. They would also get a heck of a lot more exposure as far as wanting to continue to play in college. To me it's a no brainer.

I agree with you. I think some of the players could go to a small program, but its hard to get recognized to a bigger school if you aren't facing a lot of players. Both Bismarck and GF look like they are from weak programs for the size of their cities if they can only field 1 team each.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:34 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Believe me girls will get plenty of ice time if there were 2 high school teams in those cities. Would a player rather have a chance to go to a state high school tourney with it's atmosphere or a U19 state tourney. Pretty simple answer in my book. They would also get a heck of a lot more exposure as far as wanting to continue to play in college. To me it's a no brainer.

I agree with you. I think some of the players could go to a small program, but its hard to get recognized to a bigger school if you aren't facing a lot of players. Both Bismarck and GF look like they are from weak programs for the size of their cities if they can only field 1 team each.
It is being addressed and looked into by the state. Again it's about development for these girls not wins and losses.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Bismarck dominating their opponents with 8th and 9th graders on the roster is a good indication that its time for at least 2 teams out of Bismarck.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:35 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Bismarck dominating their opponents with 8th and 9th graders on the roster is a good indication that its time for at least 2 teams out of Bismarck.

Almost a given there will be 2 next year. Asinine if there isn't.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Rumblings that Bismarck will stay with 1 team next year. Don't get it. From what I hear there is numbers for nearly 3 teams. Anyone with more info on this?
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 pm

hockeynut wrote:Rumblings that Bismarck will stay with 1 team next year. Don't get it. From what I hear there is numbers for nearly 3 teams. Anyone with more info on this?

If that is true, then it is a big hit against ND girls hockey. Its tough to promote a sport when cities like Bismarck, West Fargo, and Grand Forks can supposedly only field one team.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:42 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Rumblings that Bismarck will stay with 1 team next year. Don't get it. From what I hear there is numbers for nearly 3 teams. Anyone with more info on this?

If that is true, then it is a big hit against ND girls hockey. Its tough to promote a sport when cities like Bismarck, West Fargo, and Grand Forks can supposedly only field one team.

It appears to be true. Talked to our AD last night at my sons hockey game and he said they will stay with one team. He also said he and other AD's will push to have them go to 2 teams. Ridiculous not to. They have a JV team plus a U19 team.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hazpay » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 am

I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?
hazpay
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:00 am

hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

Thank you for looking into that. Last year would have been a great year to make 2 teams to generate interest in the sport, and they are going to have to seriously look at doing their best to make it happen if they want girls hockey to grow in ND. But if you have a kid on the high school team now, that wouldn't be a fun idea unless you don't get a lot of playing time.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby waldo8403 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 am

How about make it real simple, if you want to have a team, then the players have to come from one school.
GF and WF should have 2 teams, Bismarck should have 2 now and 3 in the near future and Fargo should have 3.
waldo8403
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:11 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 am

waldo8403 wrote:How about make it real simple, if you want to have a team, then the players have to come from one school.
GF and WF should have 2 teams, Bismarck should have 2 now and 3 in the near future and Fargo should have 3.

That would make sense since their competition are schools like Mandan, Williston, and Jamestown who are running programs with limited numbers.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:06 pm

hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

They have a U19 team. They are like 13-1 in the state. Grow the sport. To do that get more teams at the high school level. Would be nice to have a west and east region tourney. Simply asinine they don't have 2 teams.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:08 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
waldo8403 wrote:How about make it real simple, if you want to have a team, then the players have to come from one school.
GF and WF should have 2 teams, Bismarck should have 2 now and 3 in the near future and Fargo should have 3.

That would make sense since their competition are schools like Mandan, Williston, and Jamestown who are running programs with limited numbers.

I coached the Jamestown team for 4 years. We took 5th and 4th at state with basically 10 players. The numbers are still down but at least their are more younger players playing so it's looking up.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 am

hockeynut wrote:
hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

They have a U19 team. They are like 13-1 in the state. Grow the sport. To do that get more teams at the high school level. Would be nice to have a west and east region tourney. Simply asinine they don't have 2 teams.

I really don't think they have a 19U team. I think their 14U team plays some 19U teams.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:42 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:
hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

They have a U19 team. They are like 13-1 in the state. Grow the sport. To do that get more teams at the high school level. Would be nice to have a west and east region tourney. Simply asinine they don't have 2 teams.

I really don't think they have a 19U team. I think their 14U team plays some 19U teams.


http://www.ndaha.org/page/show/1497297-state-league
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14139
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:52 am

hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:
hazpay wrote:I have no dog in the fight here...but after reading this thread, I went to find the rosters of these teams.

The Blizzard have 26 girls rostered and the BHB website shows no 19U teams, but instead one 14U team with 13 rostered players. Am I missing something...?

They have a U19 team. They are like 13-1 in the state. Grow the sport. To do that get more teams at the high school level. Would be nice to have a west and east region tourney. Simply asinine they don't have 2 teams.

I really don't think they have a 19U team. I think their 14U team plays some 19U teams.


http://www.ndaha.org/page/show/1497297-state-league

But if you look at the roster, its the same as the 14U roster on their website. And thanks Run for your input! :)
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Next

Return to Girls hockey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron