Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Statewide Girls Hockey!

Re: Bismarck and Grand Forks needs 2 teams

Postby ndhockeygal » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 am

hockeynut wrote:Word on the street is there will only be 1 team in Bismarck next season yet again. The reason. Not enough goalies. Unbelievable.

I will call BS on "not enough goalies". There are 2 in the 15u team that are 9th graders - one lives north Bismarck and another South Bismarck. Also another is playing Bantams, as there were "too many" for the 15U team - also a 9th grader. There is also a 10th grader that quit this year, as they never played her. Bet she would come back if she had a chance to play. So that will be 5 goalies for 1 team next year.

Also have been informed that they are allowing a "special" 7th grader from St. Mary's to practice with the Blizzard. Yet at the same time, the 9th graders were specifically told "do not come up to the Blizzard, as I will NOT play you", at a meeting this year. This 7th grader is NOT a rock star, she is average at best. Just has the "connections". Sad. The current coach tells players to dump the puck at the red line as it isn't there job to score goals - just get it to so-and-so - they are the goal scorers. BPS is a horrible to continue to let this happen. Killing the sport in not only Bismarck and the State. No wonder teams would rather stay in the 19U league. BPS will say there isn't enough talent in Bismarck. Yet the 15U teams do well in a 19U league. Hmmm - calling BS again Bismarck!!
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:04 am

They just beat Jamestown yesterday 12-0. Shots were 63-2. It’s beyond ridiculous.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 am

That’s just sad.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 am

ndhockeygal wrote:That’s just sad.

Still putting their top line on the ice in the third period and scoring. WTH
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:58 pm

And the rest of the gals wonder why they keep bothering to play. Keep Coaching the chosen 3 and the rest get to be practice players and feel thankful they get to suit up. Wrong wrong wrong. That is not what sports is about. But. I guess it is for Bismarck and Ndaha let’s them keep doing it. So sad. So very sad.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:09 pm

I see their U19 team is in first place. I assume they have a goalie.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:43 pm

They have 2. And one that was relegated to the Bantams, because they needed another one. So that's 3 and 2 more at Varsity already - who will still be there next year. So that's 5. Unless there is some "new math" involved. :-)
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby boblee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:54 pm

While I understand the argument, I really miss the days of just trying to get better to compete with your competition. These days if we can't compete, we just argue and complain that there should be more classes or the good teams should be split up or they should realign the regions.
boblee
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeynut » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 pm

In the girls division you have Fargo North/South/Shanley vs Bismarck High/Century/Legacy/St Mary’s for the title. I see no problem in that ;)
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 pm

boblee wrote:While I understand the argument, I really miss the days of just trying to get better to compete with your competition. These days if we can't compete, we just argue and complain that there should be more classes or the good teams should be split up or they should realign the regions.

Let’s be honest. It’s tough for smaller schools to compete with a team that has 60,000 folks in its town. I asked a question on Facebook last night and never got an answer from any of my Bismarck friends. Bismarck’s championship team from last year was on the program cover at this years state tourney. 28 girls in the pic. Rosters are 21. Anyone here know where the other 7 girls played or do they have healthy scratches from game to game?
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:45 pm

They only dress what is allowed and the rest are scratched. The whole 15u team could move up next year 14 gals. All will be 9th and 10th graders. Since they only graduate 4 - that’s a lot of healthy scratches. Rumor is no second team next year. “Not enough players”. Also heard rumor of true 19u team to be started, as parents and kids are tired of the high school baloney. Guess we will see.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndhockeygal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:50 pm

boblee wrote:While I understand the argument, I really miss the days of just trying to get better to compete with your competition. These days if we can't compete, we just argue and complain that there should be more classes or the good teams should be split up or they should realign the regions.

I don’t think the issue is wanting to break up good teams. It’s the fact that there are a bunch of kids that would love to play and never get the chance in these bigger co-ops. Those kids get frustrated and quit. The teams that play these super teams get frustrated and have a hard time keeping their numbers up. That doesn’t grow the sport. If the whole point is to just win championships, then ND does it well. Otherwise if the goal is to get kids interested in hockey and give them the experience of hockey, then get rid of these large co-ops. Let the kids play.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:56 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:They only dress what is allowed and the rest are scratched. The whole 15u team could move up next year 14 gals. All will be 9th and 10th graders. Since they only graduate 4 - that’s a lot of healthy scratches. Rumor is no second team next year. “Not enough players”. Also heard rumor of true 19u team to be started, as parents and kids are tired of the high school baloney. Guess we will see.

The one thing I have never heard from a Bismarck fan is that we would love to have a second team and grow the sport. Not one. It’s always defending why they won’t or can’t. That tells me all I need to know. It’s all about hoisting that trophy.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

You’re talking to the wrong group of people. I know a ton that would love a second team. Unfortunately get shut down every way they turn. Too many are scared to say something for fear of being blackballed. Just saying they all don’t think that way.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:11 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:You’re talking to the wrong group of people. I know a ton that would love a second team. Unfortunately get shut down every way they turn. Too many are scared to say something for fear of being blackballed. Just saying they all don’t think that way.

That’s just sad.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 am

You could use that argument against the Bismarck "super team" also. Are they afraid of the competition if they were to break up their team to form 2 separate teams? I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems ridiculous to me that a town the size of Bismarck cannot support 2 teams in HS girls hockey.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby boblee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm

I understand both sides of the coin. West Fargo has won 20 straight state titles in softball and it's the fastest growing sport in the state. They split with Sheyenne officially last year and still won state - so I understand that.

I just don't understand a clamor that they should do so. It's their choice. Just like Hermantown in Class A hockey in Minnesota or NDSU football in the FCS. Yes - Hermantown could compete in AA almost every season, but the rules say they are Class A. Yes - NDSU could win plenty of games in FBS. The rules allow them to stay where they are.

To that end - nothing is stopping Fargo from eventually having just one team. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if that happens some day.
boblee
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeynut » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Maybe it’s time just to have Bismarck and Fargo have their own league. Since girls became a high school sport it’s either been a Fargo school or Bismarck who have won it all since 2003.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:36 pm

hockeynut wrote:Maybe it’s time just to have Bismarck and Fargo have their own league. Since girls became a high school sport it’s either been a Fargo school or Bismarck who have won it all since 2003.

Lumping West Fargo into Fargo I take it?!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hockeynut » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
hockeynut wrote:Maybe it’s time just to have Bismarck and Fargo have their own league. Since girls became a high school sport it’s either been a Fargo school or Bismarck who have won it all since 2003.

Lumping West Fargo into Fargo I take it?!

Yes. And might as well throw in GF too since they are the only other school to make a championship game.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndhockeygal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Well - Bismarck and Fargo just played in the ND 19U High School Championship game. Fargo won. These two teams either tied or barely beat each other all year. Did I mention they are actually registered as 14U teams, playing up to the 19U league? Great job to these girls. But - wouldn't it make sense for them to play in the NDHSL? Obviously they are talented and can compete at the HS level. They just beat out basically the "class B" of hockey to get to the championship game. I'm sure they could compete against the teams in NDHSL. But.....again - "not enough players to split in Bismarck" and "not enough talent" and blah blah blah. Now all those gals that just worked their butts off, get to wonder if they will even have some place to play next year - or do they just quit, as they aren't the chosen ones? Sad.
ndhockeygal
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hockeynut » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 pm

ndhockeygal wrote:Well - Bismarck and Fargo just played in the ND 19U High School Championship game. Fargo won. These two teams either tied or barely beat each other all year. Did I mention they are actually registered as 14U teams, playing up to the 19U league? Great job to these girls. But - wouldn't it make sense for them to play in the NDHSL? Obviously they are talented and can compete at the HS level. They just beat out basically the "class B" of hockey to get to the championship game. I'm sure they could compete against the teams in NDHSL. But.....again - "not enough players to split in Bismarck" and "not enough talent" and blah blah blah. Now all those gals that just worked their butts off, get to wonder if they will even have some place to play next year - or do they just quit, as they aren't the chosen ones? Sad.

Sent you a pm asking about the total number of girls in the Bismarck program other than high school. Having a huge discussion with some Bismarck folks who are dead set against having 2 teams.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am

I see the Bismarck All Stars won another state championship this past weekend. How many HS girls are being denied a chance to play hockey in Bismarck because the powers that be refuse to add another team?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:45 pm

From some research and a few reliable sources...sounds like Bismarck is the only team in the State that has enough girls to support a ‘JV’ program...all other teams hover around 15-20 girls on the Varsity squads.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MoSiouxFan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I see the Bismarck All Stars won another state championship this past weekend. How many HS girls are being denied a chance to play hockey in Bismarck because the powers that be refuse to add another team?

Not to mention the competitive imbalance, when the second largest city in the state only fields one team and wins the state tournament year after year. Split it into at least two teams and give the rest of the state a fighting chance to compete for state championships.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls hockey