All-School Teams

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby Wombat » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Again, like in the football forum, lets here your dream team comprised solely of players from one school.

I'm interested in seeing someone's take on a mayville team.

I don't follow BB enough to make one up for Cavalier, i've only been watching for the past 6-7 years. But I would definately put Todd Olson, Blake and Brady Trenbeath on the teams.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:16 pm

Cavalier is not a basketball town so that would be tough. I could only give ya five guys that come off the top of my head.

Brady Trenbeath
Blake Trenbeath
Todd Olson
Steve LaQua
Shane Robinson

Matt Anderson coming off the bench

That would be my starting 5, notta lot of height.
Last edited by ndfan on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby UND9296 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:07 am

Valley City would have an extremely good team:

g: Jeff Boschee (Kansas)

g: Mike Boschee (UND)

g: Justin Anderson (Cal-Irvine and LSU)

f: Tyrone Terry (too many colleges to list ;))

f: Waye Terry (Iowa St.--football)
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:05 am

For Fargo South I would go like this...

Jim Bjorklund - Forward,  played for Concordia in the middle 70s

Jeff Stevens - Forward,  played at NDSU then transfered to Black Hills State and was an all american

Chris Gardner - Center (Mr Basketball), had a great career at UND

Bart Inniger - Guard, started for 3 years at NDSU

Adam Dobmeier - Guard,(Mr Basketball)  started for NDSU for 3 years

off the bench I would go with Eric Gardner, Chris's older brother, played at Moorhead State and Concordia, Brett Inniger, started at Fergus Falls Jr College and finnished at Concordia, and Tony Satter, star running back for the Bison in the 90s... there were many others but these are the players I would go with...
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UND9296 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:42 am

bruins44 wrote:For Fargo South I would go like this...

Jim Bjorklund - Forward,  played for Concordia in the middle 70s

Jeff Stevens - Forward,  played at NDSU then transfered to Black Hills State and was an all american

Chris Gardner - Center (Mr Basketball), had a great career at UND

Bart Inniger - Guard, started for 3 years at NDSU

Adam Dobmeier - Guard,(Mr Basketball)  started for NDSU for 3 years

off the bench I would go with Eric Gardner, Chris's older brother, played at Moorhead State and Concordia, Brett Inniger, started at Fergus Falls Jr College and finnished at Concordia, and Tony Satter, star running back for the Bison in the 90s... there were many others but these are the players I would go with...
Having played against Satter in high school, I can say he wasn't much of a basketball player. I think even he would admit that. He didn't play much varsity as a junior, and may not have even started as a senior. At a minimum, there were four better basketball players at South who were '87 grads (Inniger, Glas, Benson and Stephens).
UND9296
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:57 am

Your right those other players were starters for South,  Satter was a big part of that team though... he might have been the only one of those that would be willing to come off the bench...lol
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby chuckles » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 pm

I was on that team, be careful what you speak of.  Wixo was WAY better than Satter, and was VERY willing to come off the bench and average nearly ten per game.
chuckles

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Minot would do fine, too.

Point guard: Brock Teets (never turned the ball over)

Center: Kenny Younger

Forward: Jeff Brandt

Forward: Kirk Mundy

Guard: Shane Soltis
Double Bonus

Postby bruins44 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Double Bonus wrote:Minot would do fine, too.

Point guard: Brock Teets (never turned the ball over)

Center: Kenny Younger

Forward: Jeff Brandt

Forward: Kirk Mundy

Guard: Shane Soltis

What??  Ross and Bart Manson were both MR BASKETBALL!! and they dont make your list?   I remember a great player from the early 70s  who had a great career too, Wayne Witte (sp)  didnt he go on to design the Minot State dome?
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Double Bonus » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Ah, you got me. Good list of names to bring up. As you can tell I'm not the Minot boys basketball guru. I do know that Minot does have one of the most storied history and Gene Manson is a coaching legend.
Double Bonus

Postby nodak » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 pm

Ok, I'll try to throw out my ideas for the all-time VC team.

PG- Jeff Boschee.  This one is pretty obvious.  He is the epitomy of VC basketball.

SG- Ty Terry.  Another Hi-liner Mr.  Basketball.  I was never overly impressed with him as a player (his college career pointed that out), but he was a freakish athlete who really was a pretty good all-around player.

F- Justin Anderson.  A solid all-state ballplayer in the 1980's.  Went on to be Shaq's teammate at LSU.  Another solid all-around ballplayer.

F- Jason Beilke.  At 6'6" Beilke had really solid post moves.  Did not have much to play with so his numbers weren't great, but he could change a game with his big dunks and shot blocking ability.  Currently a QB and pitcher at VCSU.

C- Don Meredith.  I had to go way back for this one.  Played for VCHS in the 1940's.  Went on to play at the U of M.  Was a great post player in his time.  Went on to be a highly successful doctor.

Bench

Mike Boschee.  Was a solid guard and prolific long range shooter for VC in the late 1980's.  Went on to a solid career at UND.  Now coaches at Central College (Iowa). 

Mike Fitzner.  Was another solid guard for VC around 1990.  Played with a lot of heart.  Went on to play 2 years at UND and 2 years at Wayne State (Neb.)  Currently coaches at Lake Superior State. 

Toby Aeilts.  Solid post player in the early 1990's.  Toby was a nice all around player and would do well coming off the bench for this team.

Travis Bjerke.  Another solid post player who played with Aeilts.  Was very physical and was not afraid to mix it up.  Played college football for a few years after high school. 
nodak
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ming01 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:40 pm

St. Mary's:

C- Mark Reidinger (set state record for most blocks in season and career)

G- Jason Duppong (tremdous shooter, all state player back in the late 90's)

G-Joe Mueller (holds some WDA records in scoring)

F- Steve Stacy (all time leading scorer at St. Mary's)

F-  John Arman (one of the all time great St. Mary's basketball players)

honorable mention:

G- Ryan Nagel, G- Aaron Wald, C- Tom Verdouw, C- Brian Verdouw, G- Anthony Hendrickson, G- Dan Barth, F- Brian Holzer, C/F- Darren Berger.
Last edited by Ming01 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Y-not Daily » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:01 pm

How about Darren Berger for St. Mary's.. He was like 6-foot-6 and could hit the 3 with the best of them. I could be mistaken, but I thought he went and played for U of Mary after high school.
Y-not Daily

Postby Ming01 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about Darren Berger.  Thanks, Ill add him to the list.
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby hfs77 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:53 am

Hatton never had a dominating team, but they've had some fine players over the years.  No real big men, either....Jim Lavin was only about 6'1", but probably the best center (that I'm aware of, anyway)

Guards -

• Mark McClain
  • Jerry McClain
  • David Peterson
  • Mike Johnson
Forward/Guards -

• dude Lavin
  • Mike Lavin
  • John Maus
Center -

• Jim Lavin
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Perles » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:02 pm

I'd like to take a stab at a Jamestown roster here:

PG: Tyler Falk (commonly known as the 'Floor General')

SG: Bryan Flam (did he ever miss?)

SF: Jason Bitz (currently playing for the Jamestown Jimmies, has great range for a big-man)

PF: Steve Koenig (dominated the boards for coach Jerry Mayer)

C: Mike Neumiller (Had post moves that made other players look lost)

Honorable Mention: Steve Hockert, John Ruff, Justin Cross, Tony Erickson, Tyler Perleberg, and Nathan Kirby.

I am not readily familiar with any 70's(or prior) or early 80's players.
Perles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby timmyg » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:56 am

as far as a mayville all-school team goes:

Point Guard: Craig Nelson 2000-2003 (2-time all-state, four year starter, mr. basketball finalist, starting pg at Norther State)
Shooting Guard: Travis Kraft 1996-1999 (2-possibly 3? time all-state, mr. basketball finalist, 4-year starter gatorade player of the year, avg. 29 pts, played at South Carolina as true freshman)
Small Forward: Luke Lorenz 2004-2007 (three-year starter, will be four year starter, will be all state this year)
Power Forward: Andrew Leclair (all-state, four year started, played as true freshman on Kansas football team, tried out for NFL)
Center: Kyle Nelson (6'9", 2 time all state, mr. basketball finalist, starting center for MSU-Moorhead)

Off the bench:
Guards: Tom Jacoboson 1994-1997 (started at UND)
             Dan Swift 1993-1996 (played professional baseball)
             David Fyre 2003-2006(underated player, EXCELLANT play-maker)
Forwards: Matt Swift 1994-1997 (money from behind the arc)
              Ben Jacobson 1987? (Mr. Basketball, played at UND)
Center: Chuck Klabo 1996-1999 (played football at NDSU, signed by Cleveland Browns, played in NFL-Europe before breaking leg)

timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:18 pm

Um Timmy G?  I like Luke Lorenz and he's a good player.  But hes better than Ben jacobson and Tom Jacobson and Darin Klabo.  There was a Jon Rygg I think his name was too back in the day. Your just going from the last couple years. 
Bob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saas25 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:51 pm

For BHS I'm gonna have to go with: Jordan Englehardt, Matt Thornton, Jordan Wilhelm, Adam Rood, and Trevor Harris.  I'm going off just teams in the past 5-6 years.  You can also throw in Weston Dressler, Josiah Thunshelle, and Jon Hager.
Saas25
NDPreps Starter

Postby carolina blue » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:50 pm

For Dickinson Trinty, I would have to go with:

Chad Glasser

Brady Ernst

Mat Hirst

Matt Ukestad

Landon Smith
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby timmyg » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:00 pm

bob,
can't believe i forgot darren klabo, defintely coming off the bench.  as far as lorenz goes, i'm gonna stick with it......for now.  Both Jacobsons were great, but i think lorenz's senior season is going to be amazing, except for the fact that his team won't make it to state.  i think he'll have a good chance of being up for mr. basketball and look for him to average bout 24 and 10 each night.  But yes, either Jacobson boy could easily be interchanged with lorenz.  as far as rygg goes, not real familiar with the later years, but from what i hear he should definetely be on there somewhere.
timmyg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:56 am

maybe we'll throw a LaMoure team out there:
Leon Thielges
Chad Anderson
Bruce Shockman
Jake Holen
Scott Hager
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:13 pm

i think it would be unjust to mention a lamoure team without mentioning jake holen's dad...i have no idea what his name is, but my dad played against him in high school and said he was pretty amazing...and now he has created a basketball franchise in the lamoure area. of the two sons i've seen jake is pretty amazing and ben is just starting to come into his own. one daughter, rachel, definately had the jump shot gene as well.

i was talking with lamoure's girls' coach after a game and the youngest (?) holen daughter walked by us (i believe she is in kindergarden). i asked the girls' coach if she could shoot three-pointers yet and she said that one day while the kids were in gym class she was actually teaching the other kids how to shoot a jumper (making sure they flicked their wrist).
rep

Postby point/center » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:49 pm

yeah Dennis could shoot out the lights...but i think his boy's can take him
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby dlsiouxfan » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Devils Lake High School

Starters:  PG Ryan Johnson (Minot State), SG Justin Johnson (opted not to play college ball to attend college in New York), SG Blaine O' Gorman (UND Football and All- American DB),SF Travis Mertens (Mr. Basketball),and since we've never had a true center PF Josh Johnson (UND).  Reserves: G Jason Palmer (LRSC), F Kermit Cooper (LRSC), C Cal Ihry (Dickinson State), and Travis' Dad at C Joe Mertens. 

Last edited by dlsiouxfan on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlsiouxfan
NDPreps Rookie

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics