People Who Have Played Against Steve Blehm

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

People Who Have Played Against Steve Blehm

Postby classB4ever » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:05 pm

I am fortunate enough to be sitting with a gentleman that played against Steve Blehm. In 1972 this man played against Steve in Devils Lake. He had the opportunity to play against Steve on a number of occasions. For me as a Class B finatic, it is absolutely incredible to hear these kinds of stories. This man not only guarded Steve but he also scored 35 points against Steve. In that game he grabbed 12 rebounds and had 7 assits. He fouled out with 2 minues left in the game but incredibly played even with him. Steve scored 38 points that game and it is so much fun to hear about the type of player Steve was. This gentleman opened my eyes to Steve's physical stature. I was under the impression that Steve was well over 6' tall. He has informed that Steve was in the area of 5'-10". He stated that Steve was incredibly fast and could pull up from any distance and shoot. The story is that the team had one play, they would start the set with Steve down in the corner and then screen for him. They would set enough screens to get him open and he had the option to get the ball at what ever time he would want. It is an incredible opportunity to sit and listen to people talking about the leading scorer in ND history. I can not tell you what it feels like to sit with someone that played against the best. I feel honored.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics