Doing Research on Class B Boys Basketball

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Doing Research on Class B Boys Basketball

Postby 32Districts » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:34 pm

Hi. My name is Mark Boucher from Rolette, North Dakota. For the past few years I've kicked around an idea for a book on Class B Boys Basketball as after doing searches on the net I'd only found two books on the subject, Merrill Schalow's "ND High School Boys Basketball History" and Robert R. "Bob" Schaible's "Almanac of North Dakota Sports". Both nice books, but after going through them, I found I wanted to know more about Class B Basketball as I love sports history.

What I'd like to do is compile as much information as I can in regards to Boys Class B Basketball. The period of time I'd like to cover is from 1964, when the original 32 Districts were formed, to 1990, when school closings and co-ops dropped the number from 32 to 24 Districts then to the present 16 Districts.

What I'm looking for and asking permission to use in a book would be information that would fall in between those years that pertains to Class B Basketball. The information could be in any form and include but not limited to: first hand accounts of games remembered, rosters, press clippings, stat sheets, scorecards, season schedules and results, tourney programs, tourney game by game results, All-District teams, pictures, scorebooks. I'd like to cover as much of the state as possible. If I get enough maybe even break everything down into the original Districts.

I can and have found plenty of information in regards to the State B Tournament in all those years but what I'd like is to dig deeper into the regular seasons of schools. I'd especially like to hear from schools that are no longer around because as the years go by the memories of the Balta Bobcats, Alsen Broncos, Granville Eagles, Landa Vikings, McHenry Blazers, Grenora Gophers and Zap Wildcats grow dimmer and dimmer. Stories and seasons from these schools will be forever forgotten as time moves on. I think a majority of us in North Dakota can trace some of our roots to these small towns, so you probably know what I'm talking about.

But while I really want to hear from those schools that are no longer with us that probably played their last game in the 1970's or 80's, I also want to hear about the schools/co-ops that played on through the 1980's. And while anything post 1990 is insteresting, I'd appreciate it if any potential contributions stayed between the years I already stated, 1964 to 1990 and Class B Boys Basketball.

I'll consider anything from anybody. Players, coaches, fans, cheerleaders, family of players/coaches, friends of players/coaches, anybody at all that would like to share the information they have. For people that read this that might know a person that might be interested in contributing but doesn't have the internet, please print out a copy of this and show them.

For more information or questions concerning this project you can post to me on this thread OR email me on this sight OR contact me at 32districts@gmail.com OR snail mail me at: Mark Boucher, PO Box 202, Rolette, ND 58366.

I thank you fans of Class B Basketball for taking the time to read this and hope to hear from you.
32Districts
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Doing Research on Class B Boys Basketball

Postby ndcharlie37 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi
I just read your post. Sounds like you're taking on a pretty good sized task. If you were to extend your
research back to, let's say, 1950 and include class "C" I'd be the first in line to buy your book. Good luck.
Charlie
ndcharlie37@yahoo.com
ndcharlie37
NDPreps Reserve

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics