All-Time Region Teams

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

All-Time Region Teams

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:23 pm

This topic is for all of us to put our own version of the best players from each region. Once we get some line-ups out there, we will debate what Region would win the state tournament if these players were all on the same team.

I'll start with the best region in the state, Region 2.

Starters

G - Craig Nelson (02' MPCG)
G - Scott Guldseth (88' Edinburg)
F - Travis Kraft (98' MPCG)
F - Todd Olson (86' Cavalier)
C - Kyle Omlie (98' Fordville)

Bench - Tom Jacobson (96' MPCG)? Andrew LeClair (97' MPCG)? Steve Sedler ('98 GCC)? Dennis Delude ( 02' NB) Dean Dvorak ('85 Minto) Chris Reinhart ('02 Finley) Kyle Morehart (84' Hillsboro)?

Coach - Dave Nelson, Ed Buyer, Jim Bauley
There is a pretty solid 12 man roster. Three of those players in the starting line-up won state championships. Two of them won multiple state championships. The bench has 3 players with state championships. I don't know if Todd Olson was a Mr. Basketball finalist but I know Guldseth, Nelson, Reinhart, Kraft were all Mr. Basketball finalists. I could take Omlie out of the starting line-up for Reinhart and have 5 mr. basketball finalists start for this team.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: All-Time Region Teams

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:40 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:This topic is for all of us to put our own version of the best players from each region. Once we get some line-ups out there, we will debate what Region would win the state tournament if these players were all on the same team.

Starters

C - Keith Omlie (94' Fordville)

Bench - Tom Jacobson (96' MPCG)? Andrew LeClair (97' MPCG)? Steve Sedler ('98 GCC)? Keith Omlie (94' Fordville) Dennis Delude ( 02' NB) Dean Dvorak ('85 Minto) Chris Reinhart ('02 Finley) Kyle Morehart (84' Hillsboro)?

There is a pretty solid 12 man roster. Everyone in the starting five went to state, 4 of them won state championships, 3 of them won multiple state championships, and 3 of them were Mr. Basketball finalists.

Your starters are good except KEITH OMLIE?? He was only about 6'2, good player, but about 14 pt, 9 board a game guy on a good, not great Fordville team.. Linstad was the best player on that team, he went on to play college ball at UNDLR, no way in the world was Omlie a starter or even a member of the best players ever from region 2...also, many greats of the 60's-70s-80's (Bill Koering, Doug Waters, Ross Henningsgard, Troy Jochim, Chipper Hansen, Elliot Rotvold, to name a handful) could be mentioned.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:59 pm

I meant Kyle Omlie, my bad.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsnut50374 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:23 am

u must be forgetting jordan cooper
sportsnut50374

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:22 am

sportsnut50374 wrote:u must be forgetting jordan cooper

Didn't Cooper play at Westhope? Not region 2 brother, though neither was Guldseth or Olson when they played...Kyle Omlie was better than Keith, played at LRS with a little sucess, but still not one of the best ever from region 2.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 am

Yeah, its hard to make up an all-region team of all time because the regions have changed so much in the last 20 years. Region 4 used to basically cover an area from Rugby all the way down to Wing, over to Carrington and up to DL. Now it includes teams 50 miles east and west of a line that goes from Carrington up to the border. Lot of different teams in there now than used to be.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:31 am

Here is my all-time Region 4 team (based on teams currently in region 4)

G- Jason Haagenson (Leeds)
G- Scott Hanson (Tolna)
F- Marty McDonald (Munich)
F- Robert Lawerence (Warwick)
C- Jim Kleinssaser (Carrington)

Bench - Jeremy Brandt (Binford), Evan Lindahl (Cando), Brett Moser (Leeds), Sean Gourd (FW), Tony Ironheart (FW), Evan Bennefield (New Rockford)

That's 11 and I can't decide on the 12th guy. I know there's a ton of people I left off this list that could deserve to be here. There's also gotta be some old school guys from the 80's and older that would deserve to be listed here, too....I just don't know enough about them. I put Hanson on here, even tho DP plays in Region 2. Tolna was always in region 4 and I'm just considering that school closed and keeping him on here. There are a lot of Mr Bball finalists and state champions/runnersup in this list.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:49 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Here is my all-time Region 4 team (based on teams currently in region 4)

G- Jason Haagenson (Leeds)
G- Scott Hanson (Tolna)
C- Jim Kleinssaser (Carrington)

Bench - Jeremy Brandt (Binford), Evan Lindahl (Cando), Doug Wick (Carrington), Brett Moser (Leeds), Mikel Kallenbach (Maddock), Jamie Wirth (Munich), Evan Bennefield (New Rockford)

I'd put Mo Nelson, Kent Flickinger, and Todd Wold ahead of Wick, Kallenback, and Wirth....In particular, Nelson...he was 2 year all state and gatorade player of the year in 1990. He was one of the strongest players you'd ever play against, and could stroke it from deep...as far as Kliensassar goes, maybe the best athlete ever from North Dakota, but as far as a basketball player goes, good, but not great...I'd put Lindahl, Brandt, or Kevin Burkhard ahead of him on the 1st team...hard to argue with Haagenson, Hanson, Mcdonald, and Lawrence...though others to consider would be Aronson from Crary, Bowersox from Wolford, Ross Henningsgard from Tolna, David Brandt from McHenry, Belquist from New Rockford (the father, graduated in the early 70's)..Kallenbach was a lot like Kliensasser in the regard that he was a phenomanal athlete, but much more a football player than basketball player.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 am

Yeah, I changed a couple on there after I thought of it for a while. I can see your argument against Kleinsasser. I put him in the starting 5 because he won a state championship and was probably the most intimidating player on the list. Who did Mo Nelson and Todd Wold play for? I can honestly say I've never heard of Nelson but Wold sounds a bit familiar. Also, who did Burkhard play for? That name sounds familiar, too.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:14 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Yeah, I changed a couple on there after I thought of it for a while. I can see your argument against Kleinsasser. I put him in the starting 5 because he won a state championship and was probably the most intimidating player on the list. Who did Mo Nelson and Todd Wold play for? I can honestly say I've never heard of Nelson but Wold sounds a bit familiar. Also, who did Burkhard play for? That name sounds familiar, too.

You kind of dissappoint me :(....A big region 4 guy like you not knowing 2 of the best players from the region. Todd Wold was a standout for binford, played with Jeremy Brandt who made your list, and Mo Nelson, correct me if i'm wrong played for GSM (could be wrong, but i remember my dad telling me about how good he was) and he coached todd and jeremy, so that's why I'm probably a little biased haha.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:This topic is for all of us to put our own version of the best players from each region. Once we get some line-ups out there, we will debate what Region would win the state tournament if these players were all on the same team.

Starters

C - Kyle Omlie (98' Fordville)

Bench - Tom Jacobson (96' MPCG)? Andrew LeClair (97' MPCG)? Steve Sedler ('98 GCC)? Dennis Delude ( 02' NB) Dean Dvorak ('85 Minto) Chris Reinhart ('02 Finley) Kyle Morehart (84' Hillsboro)?

There is a pretty solid 12 man roster. All but one (Omlie) in the starting five went to state, 4 of them won state championships, 3 of them won multiple state championships, and 3 of them were Mr. Basketball finalists.

Also Todd Olson never made it to state. Cavalier lost to Langdon in the 84 and 85 season in the region finals, and they never made it to the finals his senior year. I would put Mark Olson - Valley in there as well. Heck of a player - he and Todd had some great match-ups in the mid 80's. Also could make a case for Eric Burger - St. Thomas - great shooting guard in mid to late 80's. Steve Laqua from Cavalier played in the mid 90's. Donovan McMillan and Andy Suda from Grafton in mid 90's were very good ball players, as was Ryan Solseng - Park River - had state record for most '3's in a season for many years.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Yeah as soon as I started writing this I knew there were plenty of great players left off the list. I am not saying this is the end-all-be-all team for Region 2 by any stretch of the imagination. These are the players I would put on my team. I want to see the other regions teams put on here to see if anyone could hang with the region 2 team. This is also not based on what these players did in college for whoever was remarking about Omlie. I do believe he's the leading scorer in Fordville-Lankin boys basketball history. If you know anything about the history of Fordville-Lankin you know that's quite an accomplishment. They've had many great players over the years and always score a lot of points. So to be number 1 on that list is impressive. Give him direction from Dave Nelson, Ed Buyer, and Jim Bauley he wouled've been twice the player.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:34 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Yeah, I changed a couple on there after I thought of it for a while. I can see your argument against Kleinsasser. I put him in the starting 5 because he won a state championship and was probably the most intimidating player on the list. Who did Mo Nelson and Todd Wold play for? I can honestly say I've never heard of Nelson but Wold sounds a bit familiar. Also, who did Burkhard play for? That name sounds familiar, too.

As the Schwab said, Nelson played for GSM, graduated back in 90....really strong, drove hard to the hoop, rebounded like a 6-7 guy at 6 foot, and could drill it from deep...Todd Wold played for Binford/Midkota, graduated in 1992..lightening quick, could go either way equally well, and was deadly from 3, great jump shot that allowed him to shoot over guys right up on his hip...Burkhard was a 2 or 3 year all-stater from Lakota..6-7, dribbled well, great shooter from deep and could score on the blocks...had a huge career at UNDLR and later Northern state (All-american, national runnersup)...he may have graduated in 1989 thought, I don't remember.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm

The Schwab wrote:

You kind of dissappoint me :(....A big region 4 guy like you not knowing 2 of the best players from the region. Todd Wold was a standout for binford, played with Jeremy Brandt who made your list, and Mo Nelson, correct me if i'm wrong played for GSM (could be wrong, but i remember my dad telling me about how good he was) and he coached todd and jeremy, so that's why I'm probably a little biased haha.

Back then there were three districts in the regions, so I never got to see those teams in the Midkota area much. All I remember is that GSM always had a team in the regionals and Binford lost to Leeds in the 92 region semifinals in one of the better bball games I've ever seen played.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:

As the Schwab said, Nelson played for GSM, graduated back in 90....really strong, drove hard to the hoop, rebounded like a 6-7 guy at 6 foot, and could drill it from deep...Todd Wold played for Binford/Midkota, graduated in 1992..lightening quick, could go either way equally well, and was deadly from 3, great jump shot that allowed him to shoot over guys right up on his hip...Burkhard was a 2 or 3 year all-stater from Lakota..6-7, dribbled well, great shooter from deep and could score on the blocks...had a huge career at UNDLR and later Northern state (All-american, national runnersup)...he may have graduated in 1989 thought, I don't remember.

I don't know Burkhard's stats from high school, but if he had that amazing of a college career and if his high school career was comparable I'd put him at center over Kleinssaser
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:02 pm

The new and updated list for Region 4.

ndlionsfan wrote:G- Jason Haagenson (Leeds)
G- Scott Hanson (Tolna)
C- Kevin Burkhard (Lakota)

Bench - Jeremy Brandt (Binford), Evan Lindahl (Cando), Brett Moser (Leeds), Jim Kleinsasser (Carrington), Tony Ironheart (FW), Evan Bennefield (New Rockford), Mo Nelson (GSM)
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tommykramer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Burkhardt's senior year he was in region 2 - I'm not sure about his other years.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 pm

This topic has died down a little. Come on everyone from other regions put your teams out there!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby underdog » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm

My team from the "Old Region 6"

Chris Lemiourex - Newberg
Steve Hall - Berthold
Danny Saville - Souris
Paul Singer - Turtle Lake
Danny Peltier - Dunsieth
Doug Hiebe - Garrison
Delwynn Groninger - Max
Pat Artz - Westhope
Keith Felch - Underwood
Lee Weisgarber - Washburn
Pete Erickson - Kenmare
Steve Christensen - Mercer
underdog
NDPreps Starter

Postby tommykramer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:03 pm

dude Lavin from Hatton has got to be on the region 2 team somewhere!
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 pm

tommykramer wrote:dude Lavin from Hatton has got to be on the region 2 team somewhere!

I know man, I don't know enough about district 3 players to make this team complete. Thats why we need some other people to put teams out there. Like I said, just because I put my opinion of the Region 2 team out there doesn't mean thats the right one. I'd love to see some other line ups that other region 2 fans have on this topic.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:08 am

OK North Border Eagles, here's a shot at Region 2 from someone who's been around since the Red River Valley was still under Lake Aggasiz. I'm limiting this to those who actually played in Region 2 as it shifted over the years.

First team:
G - John Rygg - Mayville-Portland
G - Craig Nelson - MPCG
C - Doug Hanson - Northwood
F - Chipper Hanson - Hillsboro
F - Travis Kraft - MPCG

Second team:
G - dude Lavin - Hatton
G - Kyle Morehart - Hillsboro
C - Kevin Burkhard - Lakota
F - Doug Waters - Hillsboro
F - Gus Kueber - Dakota Prairie
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:14 am

Hinsa wrote:OK North Border Eagles, here's a shot at Region 2 from someone who's been around since the Red River Valley was still under Lake Aggasiz. I'm limiting this to those who actually played in Region 2 as it shifted over the years.

First team:
G - Craig Nelson - MPCG
F - Travis Kraft - MPCG

Second team:
G - dude Lavin - Hatton

i think guldseth has to be somewhere on this list, tough to leave off Steve Sedler and Buddy Reinhart too.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:20 am

Hinsa wrote:OK North Border Eagles, here's a shot at Region 2 from someone who's been around since the Red River Valley was still under Lake Aggasiz. I'm limiting this to those who actually played in Region 2 as it shifted over the years.

First team:
G - Craig Nelson - MPCG
F - Travis Kraft - MPCG

Second team:
G - dude Lavin - Hatton

Something tells me you are a district three guy. Not ONE player from district four on the team. No Todd Olsen, Brady Trenbeath, or Scott Guldseth huh?

dude lavin? He was so good you can't remember his FIRST name? lol
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:08 am

no his first name is auto edited because it is ( d i c k )
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics