Best single game performance.

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best single game performance.

Postby Firebirds » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Curt and Jeff Larson.Gackle v.s. Linton. Curt had 9 three pointers and Jeff hit the game winning shot ,but the refs called it off. :(
Firebirds

Re: Best single game performance.

Postby Firebirds » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:21 pm

[quote="Firebirds"]Curt and Jeff Larson.Gackle v.s. Linton. Curt had 9 three pointers and Jeff hit the game winning shot ,but the refs called it off. :( This was a regular season game in "84"
Firebirds

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 am

Hunter Berg went for 60 something in a Regional tournament game 1995. Don't know the exact total.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby jtdc492 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Didn't Steve Blehm have over 70 in a game.
Last edited by jtdc492 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby eastwood99 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Wylee Bearstail scored 40 plus points in two games at the State B in 98
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Mitch Carlson - 31 points, 25 rebounds against Edinburg in 1982 when Edinburg was good.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hoot12 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:59 am

Perry White Owl - New Town when they were at State not sure of his stats but he was good.
Hoot12
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BOB SAGET! » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 pm

In a regrional tournament im pretty sure its the same one talked about above but i heard hunter had 15 points his first 5 trips down the court
BOB SAGET!
NDPreps Reserve

Postby hfs77 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:33 pm

InTheKnow wrote:Hunter Berg went for 60 something in a Regional tournament game 1995. Don't know the exact total.

Actually, it was 58. I think it was the Regional Championship.

Also, pretty sure Steve Behm's career high was 85.
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Zap » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:06 am

One of the best performances I saw was in th 78-79 girls season.Kathy Schaff of the Zap Wildcats put up 52 against the Killdeer Cowboys.This was a state b record at the time .What else is that makes this special is there was no three point line . Also to the dismay of the fans the coach pulled Kathy out of the game half way through the third quarter.I am sure many more efforts at small schools that no longer exist have been forgotten.
Zap
NDPreps Rookie

Postby duke_boy90 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 pm

hfs77 wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:Hunter Berg went for 60 something in a Regional tournament game 1995. Don't know the exact total.

Wow 85! Do you by any chance no the final score of that game?
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby hfs77 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:08 pm

duke_boy90 wrote:
hfs77 wrote:

North Dakota Datebook
---"Steve Blehm, Basketball Star"
Prairie Public Television, North Dakota Public Television-January 27, 2005

On this day – or actually this night – in 1971, a young man named Steve Blehm scored 85 points during the Ramsey County basketball tournament in Starkweather. That’s right, 85 points. Blehm was playing for the Devils Lake School for the Deaf, which beat Hampden 122 to 22 that night.
Steve Blehm was a phenomenal player, scoring 3,859 points during his high school career – that’s a state record that may never be broken. But it’s not his only record. His 4-year average of 41.5 points per game was a national highschool record, as was his 35.8 average during his freshman year. The following season, he racked up 1,134 points, averaging more than 47 points per game – the highest-ever average for any highschool sophomore. In fact, his “worst” performance that year was a measly 32-point game.
Blehm was unstoppable in all facets of the game, whether it was field goals, rebounds or free throws. In his four years with the School for the Deaf, he made 827 points from free throws alone. In fact, he once made 17 free throws in one game. And it wasn’t that he was tall, either. He was only 5'11", but still, he grabbed a total of 1,352 rebounds during his high school career.
If there’s one thing North Dakota history teaches us, it’s that the majority of our great heroes overcame great adversities on their way to the top. Blehm probably would have risen to the top of his game no matter what, but he did overcome some challenges along the way. He lost his hearing during childhood, when a now-banned medicine was prescribed for an ear infection. But – pardon the pun – Blehm rebounded. “I have never thought about my deafness being an obstacle to my goals,” he has said. “My hearing impairment is invisible, so people didn’t notice it except when trying to communicate with me.”
Blehm’s high school coach, Henry Brenner, said, “It was fantastic to have someone so fantastic. He moved here (from Bismarck) in the seventh grade, and you could see he was going to develop into something special.” Brenner’s son, Terry, said, “I think most people recognized “Blehm’s athletic ability instead of his disability, if you consider deafness a disability.”
Radio broadcaster, Lee Halvorson, has said, “He was one of the most mature young men I ever ran into.” Halvorson used to do the play-by-play for KDLR in Devils Lake. “(Blehm) is the best offensive basketball player I have ever seen in my life,” he said. “If they would have had 3-point range then, he would have one-third more points than he does now.” Halvorson recalled the Lakota Highschool coach once telling him his game plan for going up against the School for the Deaf. “He said if they could hold Blehm to between 30 and 40 points,” Halvorson said, “they could win the game. Blehm went out and scored 56 points. Pretty soon you took it for granted that he would have 35 or 40 points...by halftime.”
After highschool, Blehm went to Minot State for a semester and then transferred to Gallaudet University in Washington D.C. There, he was MVP in ‘76 and ‘77, and in 1978, he was named Gallaudet’s Athlete of the Year. During that time, he also won a gold medal at the World Games for the Deaf in Romania.
Blehm was talented, good-looking, and an honor student, but he wasn’t perfect. In fact, Coach Brenner had to call in his 4th grade son, Terry, to start helping Blehm pack his equipment. “He was my idol, no question,” Terry said. “(But, he) would forget this shoes or his jersey or his athletic supporter. Most people would loan him things – except the athletic supporter.”
Blehm and his wife, Linda, live in Virginia, where he works for the post office. He has said he’d consider a postal job transfer a “golden opportunity” to move back to North Dakota, because he misses it.

Article credit: http://www.prairiepublic.org/programs/d ... 012705.jsp
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby duke_boy90 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:57 pm

That's a great story! Thank you for posting it.
duke_boy90
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Just this year.......27 points,17 rebounds,11 blocks? You all know!
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Elevenfan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 am

Eugene Baumgartner 72 pts. for Oriska in '63. He held the record until Blehm broke it.
Elevenfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AlwaysAMidget... » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Robert Eaglestaff
Fort Yates Warriors
Class A Boys
69 points

(this is just from human memory, please reply if you have the detailed data--My recollection is that this game was in Hettinger? Also gone is the academic year of this performance--was it 1969-1970 when Eaglestaff was a Junior? or was it 1970-1971 when he was a Senior?)

If it was a home game for Hettinger, could there be a witness/participant with "Insider Knowledge"?
"Once a Midget, Always a Midget..."
AlwaysAMidget...
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lockdown » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 am

probable have to put gus kueber's state tournament in there from last year. is he the only person to average a triple double for the state tournament?
i got the spirit of a hustler and the swagger of a college kid
lockdown
NDPreps Starter

Postby Schmidty22 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm

When Billy Michelsen of Century had 10 threes in a game against Minot in 2006. Michelsen ended up having 37 points on senior night and Century beat at that time the number one team in the state Minot.
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby pimpdaddyG » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

that game was pretty insane schmidty22. i would have to agree with you on that one
pimpdaddyG
NDPreps Reserve

Postby AlwaysAMidget... » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm

AlwaysAMidget... wrote:Robert Eaglestaff
Fort Yates Warriors
Class A Boys
69 points

(this is just from human memory, please reply if you have the detailed data--My recollection is that this game was in Hettinger? Also gone is the academic year of this performance--was it 1969-1970 when Eaglestaff was a Junior? or was it 1970-1971 when he was a Senior?)

If it was a home game for Hettinger, could there be a witness/participant with "Insider Knowledge"?

News from a recent source reveals some of the pieces to this puzzle. Jim Quickstad, of the Hettinger Black Devils Class of 1971, tells me that he was sidelined for that game with knee issues. Considering that Quickstad was the regular starting post for Hettinger could indicate that Robert Eaglestaff had that game against reserve players. I believe that the head coach for Hettinger was Butterfield. The head coach for Fort Yates was Swisher.
"Once a Midget, Always a Midget..."
AlwaysAMidget...
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BaldEagle » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:58 pm

It used to be a routine to read the NDSD box scores in the paper to see how many Blehm scored the night before.
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Hoot12 wrote:Perry White Owl - New Town when they were at State not sure of his stats but he was good.

watched him play in the state tourns and at Valley city state....the second he stepped through the door of the Bubble he was in range....Wow!!!!! :shock:
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HailMary » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 pm

hfs77 wrote:
duke_boy90 wrote:
hfs77 wrote:

North Dakota Datebook
---"Steve Blehm, Basketball Star"
Prairie Public Television, North Dakota Public Television-January 27, 2005

On this day – or actually this night – in 1971, a young man named Steve Blehm scored 85 points during the Ramsey County basketball tournament in Starkweather. That’s right, 85 points. Blehm was playing for the Devils Lake School for the Deaf, which beat Hampden 122 to 22 that night.
Steve Blehm was a phenomenal player, scoring 3,859 points during his high school career – that’s a state record that may never be broken. But it’s not his only record. His 4-year average of 41.5 points per game was a national highschool record, as was his 35.8 average during his freshman year. The following season, he racked up 1,134 points, averaging more than 47 points per game – the highest-ever average for any highschool sophomore. In fact, his “worst” performance that year was a measly 32-point game.
Blehm was unstoppable in all facets of the game, whether it was field goals, rebounds or free throws. In his four years with the School for the Deaf, he made 827 points from free throws alone. In fact, he once made 17 free throws in one game. And it wasn’t that he was tall, either. He was only 5'11", but still, he grabbed a total of 1,352 rebounds during his high school career.
If there’s one thing North Dakota history teaches us, it’s that the majority of our great heroes overcame great adversities on their way to the top. Blehm probably would have risen to the top of his game no matter what, but he did overcome some challenges along the way. He lost his hearing during childhood, when a now-banned medicine was prescribed for an ear infection. But – pardon the pun – Blehm rebounded. “I have never thought about my deafness being an obstacle to my goals,” he has said. “My hearing impairment is invisible, so people didn’t notice it except when trying to communicate with me.”
Blehm’s high school coach, Henry Brenner, said, “It was fantastic to have someone so fantastic. He moved here (from Bismarck) in the seventh grade, and you could see he was going to develop into something special.” Brenner’s son, Terry, said, “I think most people recognized “Blehm’s athletic ability instead of his disability, if you consider deafness a disability.”
Radio broadcaster, Lee Halvorson, has said, “He was one of the most mature young men I ever ran into.” Halvorson used to do the play-by-play for KDLR in Devils Lake. “(Blehm) is the best offensive basketball player I have ever seen in my life,” he said. “If they would have had 3-point range then, he would have one-third more points than he does now.” Halvorson recalled the Lakota Highschool coach once telling him his game plan for going up against the School for the Deaf. “He said if they could hold Blehm to between 30 and 40 points,” Halvorson said, “they could win the game. Blehm went out and scored 56 points. Pretty soon you took it for granted that he would have 35 or 40 points...by halftime.”
After highschool, Blehm went to Minot State for a semester and then transferred to Gallaudet University in Washington D.C. There, he was MVP in ‘76 and ‘77, and in 1978, he was named Gallaudet’s Athlete of the Year. During that time, he also won a gold medal at the World Games for the Deaf in Romania.
Blehm was talented, good-looking, and an honor student, but he wasn’t perfect. In fact, Coach Brenner had to call in his 4th grade son, Terry, to start helping Blehm pack his equipment. “He was my idol, no question,” Terry said. “(But, he) would forget this shoes or his jersey or his athletic supporter. Most people would loan him things – except the athletic supporter.”
Blehm and his wife, Linda, live in Virginia, where he works for the post office. He has said he’d consider a postal job transfer a “golden opportunity” to move back to North Dakota, because he misses it.

Article credit: http://www.prairiepublic.org/programs/datebook/zoom ankle brace/bydate/05/0105/012705.jsp

If you ask me an 85 point game is almost impossible to match. Not only in our state but in the entire country. I know there have been a few hundred pointers and what not, but when I was growing up near Dickinson this guys name was legend. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the greatest single game performance, you have to trust the numbers and the history.
"Midget Pride Baby"
My Favorite Football Blog:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner
HailMary
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sanantonio_spurs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am

What about past 5 years.

Michael Young Bird with 44 points. Nothing compared to the old schoolers!

And a boy from Mandaree had over 100 points at State B when they went somewhere around 2000.
sanantonio_spurs
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baloncesto » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 pm

sanantonio_spurs wrote:What about past 5 years.

Michael Young Bird with 44 points. Nothing compared to the old schoolers!

And a boy from Mandaree had over 100 points at State B when they went somewhere around 2000.

Ransom schutt milnor
46 points in regionals
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics