Best Class B basketball rivalry

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Postby ndfan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Mayville and Hillsboro play today probably one of the biggest rivalrys in the state if not the biggest. You better get there early if you wanna get a seat. Another big one i know of is Cavalier vs. North Border neither teams wants to lose to the other in anything. Any other good ones out there?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Batman » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:43 pm

When and where I grew up it was Kenmare/Mohall.
Batman
NDPreps Starter

Postby thundercrew » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:56 pm

Northwood vs. Hatton

Ha to bad now there co-op'd and all the high strung Flyer/Trojan games are over.
thundercrew

Postby Wombat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:07 am

Well said NDfan... As soon as I saw the topic I immediately thought of both of those rivalries.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 643master » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:50 pm

Mayville and Hillsboro used to be a rivalry but since getting rid of beaur (sp?) I cant remember the last time Hillsboro went to state, back in the day coles and paulson made it tough and prob even pulled a game out once or twice from mayville but lately Hillsboro hasnt made a run at state.  Another good one would be mpcg vs finely...
"A somebody was once a nobody who wanted to and did." - Anonymous
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

According to the ndhsaa MPCG has about 50 more kids in high school than Hillsboro also.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:36 pm

How is mpcg and Finley a great rivalry? Whats the best rivalry in class A? A red river-central or Shanley vs. another fargo team? None really come to mind when i think about it.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 643master » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:57 pm

finley vs mpcg was a joke as good rivalry.  mpcg has nearly double the kids as most schools they play, but not even close to what class a has, back in the day 97 98 took class a schools to town, and also teams from the cities.
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndfan » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Correct me if im wrong but that Mayville team didnt have one starter under i think it was 6'5 or 6'6?? To me that is unreal for a class B Team.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 643master » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:04 pm

you're right, the starting lineup was 6'5 or taller and not just tall heres what they had:

D klabo: 6'5" point guard: played for und and mayville state basketball
Matt Swift: 6'5" shooting foward: played for mayville state, shot the lights out behind 3 point line

Tom jacobson: 6'5" point guard: started for und

Andrew LeClair: 6'5" center, played middle linebacker for kansas jayhawks and ndsu

Jeremy M: 6'5" foward played for mayville state basketball

not to mention off the bench:

6'6" chuck klabo: O lineman for ndsu, flirted in the nfl
6'3" Steve G: TE for MSU football, played arena football (little bro plays for them now)
6'6" Travis Kraft: played D1 basketball for South carolina and NDSU till feet went bad

Not bad for a little class b town, they would beat teams by 50 not trying hard, it was sick

One sad thing about mpcg team this year is that Clavin Kraft (prob a mr basketball finalist this year) and another kid that moved away two years ago that would of made the team un-stopable
Last edited by 643master on Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
643master
NDPreps Reserve

Postby itsallabouteddie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:40 am

643master wrote:Mayville and Hillsboro used to be a rivalry but since getting rid of beaur (sp?) I cant remember the last time Hillsboro went to state, back in the day coles and paulson made it tough and prob even pulled a game out once or twice from mayville but lately Hillsboro hasnt made a run at state.  Another good one would be mpcg vs finely...

I'm from Hillsboro and played with Coles and Paulson and it was kinda winding down as far as a true hated rivalry. it isn't like it used to be in the past when fans threw bricks thru bus windows, or the famous 7-5 double ot game back in '66 and what not. my senior year we dominated MPCG winning three times all by double figures including a 29 point drubbing during the regular season. I remember in '96 or '97, a reporter from the star tribune in the twin cities came to  every Hillsboro MPCG game and did an article about the rivalry. MPCG and Finley actually is a good rivalry and not that the games are competitive, its the fact that alot of MPCG's players during the mid-'90's were actually from Finley.
itsallabouteddie
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wild Wolves » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:29 am

Out west the fun rivalries have ended up being teams that have cooped.  Mott vs. Regent, New Leipzig vs, Elgin, Flasher vs. Carson, Scranton vs. Bowman or Bowman vs. Rhame

Not that the games were all that great in and of themselves but they were treated like the UND NDSU rivalry.  If you only win one game all year it better be against that team.
Wild Wolves
NDPreps All-State

Postby hfs77 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:31 am

643master, thats funny...I just posted almost the same thing about that 1996 MPCG team in the Legends thread a couple hours ago. :)

Yeah, the Hatton v. Northwood rivalry was great, even moreso in football than basketball.  I think a lot of people were pretty hesitant right away, but it seems to be doing them some good. 
hfs77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wombat » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:35 am

Cavalier takes on RIVAL North Border tonight! always a fun game!!!
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby piratefan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 am

You're right Tiger Pride, those rivalries were a lot of fun.  Rhame and New England also had a nice little rivalry there in the mid-90's when both teams were state tournament teams.  When I played for Rhame in the early 2000's our rivals were mostly Scranton and New England, but I think that is just because we got along with those guys better than any other team, making those games fun to play in.  It's a crying shame that those great days of basketball don't really exist anymore.
piratefan

Postby the dynasty » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:19 am

Bishop Ryan and DLB have to be mentioned in this list.  There rivarly is heated and the games are always intense.  2 year ago they played in football to see who would go to the playoffs, in basketball to see who would go to state, and 2 yearsin a row in baseball with state on the line.  DLB won football, with Bishop Ryan winning the other 2. 

About a week ago they played for the regular season district title, at the msu dome, with Ryan winning.  Great Rivalry
the dynasty

Postby bballis#1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:33 pm

ndfan wrote:Mayville and Hillsboro play today probably one of the biggest rivalrys in the state if not the biggest. You better get there early if you wanna get a seat. Another big one i know of is Cavalier vs. North Border neither teams wants to lose to the other in anything. Any other good ones out there?

Bowman and Trinity play on Thursday and that is going to be huge. They have been rivals for a long time now. Should be a good one.
bballis#1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby usedup » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:02 am

[font=comic sans ms]I agree that out west some of the best rivalrys were in the southwest corner. When I was a senior we only had three wins all year. But lost most games by 8 or less. Played in Bowman, lost to Scranton and Rhame, who in the mid 90's were a pretty salty club. But the feather in our cap was acctually a loss that year, Hettinger beat us by 3 in Bowman on senior night. Our last home game ever, they were rated #1 in the state. The best rivalry's in the state have to be between the small towns no matter what part of the state they are in.[/font]
usedup

Postby titan_fan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:07 am

I totally agree with you bballis#1. Trinity and Bowman's rivalry to me is like the duke-carolina rivalry of college ball. Every game between the 2 is very close. Both games this year were won by 3. They really give it their all on the court and really want to beat one another for bragging rights. I hope these 2 teams match up in the region championship.
Last edited by titan_fan on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
titan_fan

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 am

This was a really good thread that developed into a bunch of smack talk.  I've had to remove some posting privledges and we've edited out some stuff.  Hopefully we can continue this topic in a respectful manner.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby lightning » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:02 pm

I'd have to say Linton and Steele is pretty good fans really get into it..... Its really fun to watch both teams are always good.
lightning
NDPreps Starter

Postby TJayU » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:45 am

Ellendale and Oakes have the Cowbell rivalry that's been going on since 1946.  It's more of a "fun" rivalry since it's not two powerhouses going at it, but it can get pretty nasty.  There's some intense hatred for one another. 
TJayU

Postby deere » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:06 pm

PBK vs Lamoure has been a pretty good rivalry over the years.
deere

Postby car1 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:25 am

I'd have to say the best rival over the years is LMM and LaMoure.  With them two teams co-oped for football its just to see who is the better team.  the gym is packed.  the crowd is going crazy.  everybody in the gym gets into it.
car1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby cubsfan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:08 pm

pbk vs lamoure is a great rivalry
bowman vs trinity is a dang good rivalry
mpcg vs hillsboro last season hillsboro's team nothing special but still great game vs mpcg
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics