Best Player You Have Played Against Or With

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Best Player You Have Played Against Or With

Postby InTheKnow » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:18 pm

The Schwab wrote:
baseball wrote:Basketball:

Austin Dufault - with/against
Payton Tivis - with...may have been the best. he is so slippery with the ball he can just do what he wants. the times i've played with him im shocked he cant get on the floor at SDSU.
obviosuly I've played with and against Bakkum hundreds if not thousands of times haha
Travis Mertens
entire U-Mary team.

Baseball:
faced Kyle Carr numerous times on the mound.
Marcus? Hovey pitched for Harvey a few years back, always struggled with him.
Jacod Wurtz

the only one from harvey I can think of would be Tanner Lorenz, is that who your thinking about? I could be way off though lol

No he is correct with who he mentioned. Hovey was around 80-81 mph. Slightly above average pitcher for Class B level. Would have graduated around 02 or 03.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby hovey27 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:36 am

Marcus is correct, graduated in 2004, pitched for Bismarck High in highschool, topped out at 90 actually, on a couple different radar occasions :)
hovey27
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baseball » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:59 am

InTheKnow wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
baseball wrote:Basketball:

Austin Dufault - with/against
Payton Tivis - with...may have been the best. he is so slippery with the ball he can just do what he wants. the times i've played with him im shocked he cant get on the floor at SDSU.
obviosuly I've played with and against Bakkum hundreds if not thousands of times haha
Travis Mertens
entire U-Mary team.

Baseball:
faced Kyle Carr numerous times on the mound.
Marcus? Hovey pitched for Harvey a few years back, always struggled with him.
Jacod Wurtz

the only one from harvey I can think of would be Tanner Lorenz, is that who your thinking about? I could be way off though lol

No he is correct with who he mentioned. Hovey was around 80-81 mph. Slightly above average pitcher for Class B level. Would have graduated around 02 or 03.

Yea..i know it was Hovey, just wasnt sure on the name. Never really struggled with Lorenz. He threw hard but that was about it...pretty flat without much movement. Hovey was more of a "pitcher" who also threw gas. might have got one hit off him in my life haha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby golfer77 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:24 am

After reading all of the posts on this site, VERY few people have mentioned any of the Class A players or coaches. Although I feel Class B has had some good coaches and players, I find it amazingly ignorant than the people posting on this site would consider some team from Velva or Hankinson to compare with the competition from schools enroling 300+ students per class (not in the entire school).
Talking about great basketball in the state of North Dakota and on someones "top 10 list" didn't mention 1 Class A player, leads me to believe that this site should be renamed "www.NorthDakotaClassBPreps.com".
golfer77
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hinsa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey Golfer, instead of whining about all the Class B posts, why don't you post something about a Class A player then? Maybe strike up some conversation? Chris Gardner? Jeff Boschee? Glenn Hansen?

Go for it. Let's see whatcha got.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Schmidty22 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 pm

balla45 wrote:The best players I have played against: Harrison Barnes, Royce White, Rodney Williams

Rodney Williams took off from the free throw line and dunked on one of my teammates, Andrew Crosby.
Harrison Barnes crossed me over and jammed, multiple times.

Share any good stories.

Is this the Harrison Barnes that plays for UNC now?
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm

They are one and the same.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 am

balla45 wrote:The best players I have played against: Harrison Barnes, Royce White, Rodney Williams

Rodney Williams took off from the free throw line and dunked on one of my teammates, Andrew Crosby.
Harrison Barnes crossed me over and jammed, multiple times.

Share any good stories.

I bet everyone knows who Harrison Barnes is now! Go Heels!
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Old Baller » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:49 am

I played high school basketball way back in the '60's at Wing...yeah, it's been a while. I'm dealing with memories that go back a ways.

The best player I ever played with was Dennis "Mike" Krein. Not tall, maybe 6 ft, but extremely smooth and a great leaper. Had a very quick release on his jump shot. Our teams weren't tall in those days so he played down low a lot. Not many rebounds escaped him. Dennis Beck who played for Linton in the mid 80's reminded me a bit of Mike in the way he could rebound and score underneath the basket. During his sophmore year Mike was the only non-senior starter on a team that went 23-2 but lost in the Regionals. As a junior he led us back to the Regionals where we lost in the finals to Linton in two overtimes...we squandered a seven point lead with two minutes left in regulation. That still hurts to this day.

Mike was essentially "recruited" to play at Bismarck St. Mary's for his senior year, where he was a starter. While there he teamed up with a player by the name of Neal Kalberer who originally played at Hazeleton I believe but was also "recruited" to St. Mary's. Kalberer was a fine all around athlete too, particularly good in baseball. Hey...he may be the best player I ever played AGAINST!!
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics