Best class B team not to make the state tournament

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best class B team not to make the state tournament

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:11 am

Many teams have fell short making it to the big dance....I'm curious who out their has an opinion...I'll list a few, though I'm sure I'll leave out a ton of teams.

Langdon-1991-Phillips and a host of others-lost to state runner up Munich in regional finals
Glen Ullen-a few teams from the 80's
Carrington-1994-they won it in 95-Habek/Kliensasser/Wick/-Lost to Tolna in OT
Hillsboro-1991-Hanson/Dickoff/Bryl and others-lost to Litchille/Marion in huge upset
GSM-1989-Moe Nelson was the headliner-Lost to Warwick in another huge upset(beat them 3 times in regular season/districts by over 20 each game)
Fordville/Lankin-1994-Linstad/Omlie/Brodina/Skibiski-lost to St-Thomas/Valley
Hettinger-1993-Vliem boys-Ranked 1 all year, lost to Standing Rock in regional semi's
Minnewauken-1985 or 86?? Someone help me...the team with Jerry Sears-losts to Leeds I believe
Hillsboro-1985-Morehart/Rotvold-Lost to Tolna in Region Semi's
Tolna-1986-Henningsgard/Jochim/Parfit-went in 1985
Thompson-2002-Boesflug/Schumacher/Sondreal and other-lost to state Champs MPCG by 1 in region finals
Central Valley-1992-Vigen/Hong/Wigestrand/Visness-won it in 1993-lost to Hillsboro in region final
Dakota Prairie Tolna-1995-Forde/Hanson-got 2nd in 1994-upset by wing-tuttle in regional quarters
Grenora-1994-Berg and others-2nd to Carrington in 1995--Lost to Minot Ryan I believe

Who else??
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Re: Best class B team not to make the state tournament

Postby nativegolfer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:Many teams have fell short making it to the big dance....I'm curious who out their has an opinion...I'll list a few, though I'm sure I'll leave out a ton of teams.

Langdon-1991-Phillips and a host of others-lost to state runner up Munich in regional finals
Hillsboro-1991-Hanson/Dickoff/Bryl and others-lost to Litchille/Marion in huge upset
GSM-1989-Moe Nelson was the headliner-Lost to Warwick in another huge upset(beat them 3 times in regular season/districts by over 20 each game)
Hettinger-1993-Vliem boys-Ranked 1 all year, lost to Standing Rock in regional semi's
Minnewauken-1985 or 86?? Someone help me...the team with Jerry Sears-losts to Leeds I believe
Thompson-2002-Boesflug/Schumacher/Sondreal and other-lost to state Champs MPCG by 1 in region finals
Central Valley-1992-Vigen/Hong/Wigestrand/Visness-won it in 1993-lost to Hillsboro in region final
Dakota Prairie Tolna-1995-Forde/Hanson-got 2nd in 1994-upset by wing-tuttle in regional quarters
Grenora-1994-Berg and others-2nd to Carrington in 1995--Lost to Minot Ryan I believe

Who else??

1989 FW. 19-1 in the regular season, only loss was to a really good class A Belcourt team. Lost to Leeds in the 1st round of districts, a team they beat by 40 at Leeds in the regular season. Back then districts was 1 and done.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndsportsfan14 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:20 am

nativegolfer wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:Many teams have fell short making it to the big dance....I'm curious who out their has an opinion...I'll list a few, though I'm sure I'll leave out a ton of teams.

Who else??

1989 FW. 19-1 in the regular season, only loss was to a really good class A Belcourt team. Lost to Leeds in the 1st round of districts, a team they beat by 40 at Leeds in the regular season. Back then districts was 1 and done.

who woulda figured you had something to say about FW !!
ndsportsfan14
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm

ndsportsfan14 wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:

Who else??

who woulda figured you had something to say about FW !!

That the best you could do? Thought you'd love to hear bout an FW failure.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby tommykramer » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:16 pm

91-92 Midkota Mustangs - This was the first year of the co-op, I believe they had 8 all-conference players from the previous year and a total of 10 starters. They lost in the regional semi's to a very good Leeds-Wolford team that lost to Munich in the state championship.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison44 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 pm

2004-05 Maple Valley Raiders. Mike Stowman and Brian Pfau. Ranked #1 the whole season. Undefeated in regular season. Lost District 2 Title game. Lost in Region 1 semi's to Central Cass
gobison44
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:34 am

06 Bowman? Tivis, Pauley, Breen, etc...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby smoothj » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 am

Who else??

This is the first time i've ever posted here. Check it out once in a while, but never got involved. Anyway, there are 100's of teams people can claim are the best teams not to make it. Heck when i was in junior high we thought our varsity team had Edinburg and scott guldseth (the year the won it) on the ropes in the regional tourney when our three with like 10 seconds left in the game that went in to give us a 1 point lead. But then a wistle and it was waved off for an illegel screen. Later, the word was the official who waved it off was from edinburgh...that was big news for a while, still don't know if it was true to this day though. People would have bet the house we would have won the state title that year if that shot wouldn't have been waived off. We had the best post player i've ever seen for a guy 6'2 - 6'3. He lit Guldseth up for about 35 that night if memory serves me right. Went on for a couple successful seasons at lake region and transferred to minot, but his lack of size caught up with thim there.

However, that 1991 Langdon team was something else. Biggest Class B team i've ever seen ( i think they were bigger than the mid 90's mpcg teams). We actually lost to them on a last second shot by phillips that year...we had a good team...but we played extremely well that night. That was the only close game they had all year until munich beat them in the region finals. They had 4-5 guys 6'4-6'8 and they weren't stiffs. They all could play. They were solid again in 1992, but not as big. That region could have sent 3-4 different teams in 1992 and won the state championship. If i remember right at different points in the season 5 different teams in that region were ranked in the top 10 in the state.

Seems weird to talk about the old times...haven't done that in a while :D
smoothj
NDPreps Rookie

Postby GoodO'LBoy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Welcome to NDpreps smoothj.

Didn't Scott Guldseth go to LSU(Division I)not Lake Region(juco) first and then transfer to UND (D II) not MSU(NAIA). Can anyone verify that?

I don't think you were the only team to play Langdon close in the regular season in 91. Dunseith had them at half time and lost a close one at the end. Maybe a 5 point game. Dunseith's shooting guard Dan Peltier posted up Langdons guards and scored at will. When a big man guarded him in the post he went to the 3-point line and embarrassed them. I think he had like 35, 36 or somewhere in there. It was a really exciting and fun game to watch. I think Dunseith's guard was a Mr. BBall finalist that year and also went on and played at UND for a year or two.
GoodO'LBoy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 am

I think he was talking about the kid from his school who lit Guldseth up that night. That's who went to LR and then to Minot. Where did you play smoothj??
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby smoothj » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:13 am

GoodO'LBoy wrote:Welcome to NDpreps smoothj.

Didn't Scott Guldseth go to LSU(Division I)not Lake Region(juco) first and then transfer to UND (D II) not MSU(NAIA). Can anyone verify that?

I don't think you were the only team to play Langdon close in the regular season in 91. Dunseith had them at half time and lost a close one at the end. Maybe a 5 point game. Dunseith's shooting guard Dan Peltier posted up Langdons guards and scored at will. When a big man guarded him in the post he went to the 3-point line and embarrassed them. I think he had like 35, 36 or somewhere in there. It was a really exciting and fun game to watch. I think Dunseith's guard was a Mr. BBall finalist that year and also went on and played at UND for a year or two.

I was talking about the forward on our team going to lake region and then minot state...He was only around 6'2 or 6'3 and lit up guldseth....guldseth was around 6'6". And yes, guldseth went to LSU and then xferred back to UND where he was an all american. The word was he didn't transfer back because he wasn't good enough, it was because no one accepted him. He was a black guy from north dakota who was the adopted son of a white pastor and his wife. Guess he had a hard time fitting in the deep south. On a side note, guldseth was the first north dakota player i've ever seen touch the top of the square on the backboard. Would have been cool to see him compliment Shaq at LSU. That was the same era.

Also i guess i must have missed the dunseith, langdon game. I didn't think they had a game within 10 points except for ours. That was a longggg time ago and i must have mis-spoke. I know they were undeafeated though going into the regional title game and we had them beat if we could have held on the last 10 seconds. Our only legitimate big man injured and ankle with 6 minutes left in the game, had to leave, and they fed their big men repeatedly.

And yeah, Danny was a mr bb candidate. i think dan went to dickinson first for a couple years then transferred to und.
smoothj
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Old Baller » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:09 am

Here is one from way back...

The '64 - '65 team from Wing ran the table all the way through the district tournament, 23-0 and ranked #3 in the state. Lost both games in the Regionals...I can't recall which teams beat them. I believe 8 of the teams ranked in the top 10 after districts didn't make it to State that year. What a bummer! As they say "On any given night..."

The next year Wing made it to the Regional final after graduating four of its five starters off that 23-2 team. Lost in double overtime this time to Linton and John Backhaus after giving up a seven point lead with two minutes left in regulation. Double bummer!! Wing didn't send a team to State until they went consecutively in '77 and '78, finishing 3rd and 4th respectively.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby muledeer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:32 am

baseball wrote:06 Bowman? Tivis, Pauley, Breen, etc...

Yup , I agree , they were ranked number 1 a lot of the season , and beat Dickinson trinity during regular season game ,but lost to them in the regionals,( played in dickinson).... then trinity went on to crush all three teams they met in state.
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:44 am

muledeer wrote:

Yup , I agree , they were ranked number 1 a lot of the season , and beat Dickinson trinity during regular season game ,but lost to them in the regionals,( played in dickinson).... then trinity went on to crush all three teams they met in state.

Crushed all three teams? Didn't they win the title game on a last second shot?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 am

The Schwab wrote:
muledeer wrote:

Crushed all three teams? Didn't they win the title game on a last second shot?

Yup, they played MPCG I'm pretty sure. Can't remember the final score but it was low 40's high 30's. Wasn't any crushing going on I know that.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby muledeer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:05 pm

I stand corrected as per the title game , the first games Trinity played were won by scores of 54-36 over former class A Minot bishop Ryan , and 67- 42 over undefeated 26-0 Four Winds , in the title game trinity only shot 5-15 on free throws so the score was closer due to that. Also we are talking about teams that SHOULD have made it to state but didn't.....during the season Bowman defeated Trinity 39-36 ,lost 52-49, and then lost in the regional finals 48-40 but had to foul to try to stay in the game in the last few minutes ( trinity made most their free throws ) ....In my opinion losing two very close games to the state champions on their court ,and beating them once, is no small feat ...
Last edited by muledeer on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:16 pm

muledeer wrote:I standed corrected as per the title game , the first two were won by trinity 54-36 over former class A Minot bishop ryan , and 67- 42 over Four winds , in the title game trinity only shot 5-15 on free throws so the score was closer due to that.

Question: when was Bishop Ryan ever Class A? I mean has it been recently, like, in the past 20 years?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby muledeer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
muledeer wrote:I standed corrected as per the title game , the first two were won by trinity 54-36 over former class A Minot bishop ryan , and 67- 42 over Four winds , in the title game trinity only shot 5-15 on free throws so the score was closer due to that.

Question: when was Bishop Ryan ever Class A? I mean has it been recently, like, in the past 20 years?

They were class A for some time .....don't think they went back to class b until about 1993 or so , they won the state title in 94 , and why?.... don't you think they were good enough to be there in 2006? they had only a couple losses to former class a schools during the 2006 season ( bottineau and rugby), but redeemed themselves by deafeating those same two teams ,handily, in the regionals, to get to state , where after losing to Trinity they won consolation 5th place beating 2 good teams to do so.
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:35 pm

muledeer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

They were class A for some time .....don't think they went back to class b until about 1993 or so , they won the state title in 94 , and why?.... don't you think they were good enough to be there in 2006? they had only a couple losses to former class a schools during the 2006 season ( bottineau and rugby), but redeemed themselves by deafeating those same two teams ,handily, in the regionals, to get to state , where after losing to Trinity they won consolation 5th place beating 2 good teams to do so.

I think you're tossing that term around pretty freely like it's special to beat one of those teams. There are tons of "former" class A teams now because the class structure was set up differently back then. It's been a very long time since teams like Botno, Rugby, Langdon, Carrington, etc. have been class A. Trinity and Ryan were the last to drop down and that was still 20 years ago. You're looking at 40-50 years for the other towns.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
muledeer wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I think you're tossing that term around pretty freely like it's special to beat one of those teams. There are tons of "former" class A teams now because the class structure was set up differently back then. It's been a very long time since teams like Botno, Rugby, Langdon, Carrington, etc. have been class A. Trinity and Ryan were the last to drop down and that was still 20 years ago. You're looking at 40-50 years for the other towns.

Technically the last two to come down were Beulah and Grafton (I believe)...but the use of 'Class A' is being used very loosely.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby muledeer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Being from a small town one feels it is a special night when you defeat a school from a town that has 10 times the population you do ( David and Goliath ) , Also in most cases, schools who were previously class A ( as opposed to B) do tend to do better for the next several years after the step down, facts speak for themselves. In any case the teams that I referred to in my post were all just recently going through that process , in the year 2006 some of these teams were only 10-12 years removed from class A level , Minot Ryan , Bottineau, Rugby, Trinity , so no for them it wasn't anything special that one defeated the other, my statement was made for comparision purposes ,...to bring to light how good minot ryan was that year, however trinity defeated them fairly easily ....so my point ....Bowman looks like a team that was in the wrong region at the wrong time.
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

North Star of 2009: Lost to Carrington in Region Final after being undefeated & #1 all year (Carrington went on to win State)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby muledeer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:54 pm

run4fun
I see in another post that you had a book on state champions and such , would you have scores and stats for the 1960 state c tourney? I was wondering about the games Rhame played , what each score was, and if you had individual scoring stats.
Thanks
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:19 am

muledeer wrote:run4fun
I see in another post that you had a book on state champions and such , would you have scores and stats for the 1960 state c tourney? I was wondering about the games Rhame played , what each score was, and if you had individual scoring stats.
Thanks

It only states the state Title matchups and final scores. Rhame got 5th that season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Mandan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 pm

muledeer wrote:Being from a small town one feels it is a special night when you defeat a school from a town that has 10 times the population you do ( David and Goliath ) , Also in most cases, schools who were previously class A ( as opposed to B) do tend to do better for the next several years after the step down, facts speak for themselves. In any case the teams that I referred to in my post were all just recently going through that process , in the year 2006 some of these teams were only 10-12 years removed from class A level , Minot Ryan , Bottineau, Rugby, Trinity , so no for them it wasn't anything special that one defeated the other, my statement was made for comparision purposes ,...to bring to light how good minot ryan was that year, however trinity defeated them fairly easily ....so my point ....Bowman looks like a team that was in the wrong region at the wrong time.

But you're talking about Trinity, also former class A who dropped down the same time as Ryan.
(They both dropped down in the fall of 1991, by the way)
If you were talking a long-time class B school, your argument would work, but when comparing Trinity to them it doesn't because they are equals.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics