best player ever to play from north dakota

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: best player ever to play from north dakota

Postby Old Baller » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:14 am

Absolutely true. I guess those were the "good old days"?
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Old Baller » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Old Baller wrote:I'm new to this blog and played Class B basketball back in the mid 60's. I'll throw out some names from that era, some of which have been mentioned already. These aren't necessarily the best ever but were outstanding players at the time, at least as I recall them.

Class A:

Phil Jackson- Williston, UND, & the NBA. His story is well known.

Paul Presthus - Rugby, U. of Minn. I'm not sure if he played pro ball.

Glenn Hansen - GF Central, LSU (I think), & the NBA for a few years

Scott Monson - GF Red River. I can't recall where he played college ball of if he played pro but he and Hansen had some great battles. I think Central and Red River played for the title in '69 or '70 when they were seniors. Great game.

Bob Green - Mandan, Dickinson State. Dominant player on a very good Mandan High team that won two consecutive the state titles in mid 60's.

Scott Howe - Mandan, NDSU. Teamed up with Green for a solid 1, 2 scoring punch.

Class B:

Jerry Pyle - Central Cass, U. of Minn. Electrifying player who at 6'7"could run the floor, lead the break, and score at will for an exceptional Central Cass team. Dominated the '68 state tournament and scored 38 points in the final. Gets my vote for class B player of the decade. I believe that Central Cass team lost only once that year, a squeaker to a Class A school from either Grand Forks or Fargo which finished second at the Class A state tournament. His brother Bob wasn't too shabby either.

Vance Bowersox - Wolford, Minot State. Not a big guy but a great scorer. Tiny Wolford came into the '68 state tournament final undefeated but had the misfortune of facing Central Cass that night. Bowersox matched Jerry Pyle with 38 points in that game as I recall. A member of my All Name team, too!

Butch Linch - Mott, UND, NFL. One of the best 3-sport athletes ever in ND high school and UND history. Led Mott to several state basketball titles in the early 60's. Played in the NFL for several teams.

Don Blevins - Fort Yates, Dickinson State. Two sport star (BB & cross country/track). One of the best ball handlers I ever saw. Would "put on a show" Marcus Haynes style by dribbling out the clock and keeping defenders at bay. Fun to watch. Died way too young in a car accident I believe,

John Backhaus - Linton, Jamestown College. Ok..I did play against John a little in HS and came to know him fairly well in college. Led Linton to state several years in the mid 60's and still holds one of the highest single-game scoring totals in state tournament history with 43 (?) points.

I know that Kenmare had some fine players back then too but I can't recall any names. Kenmare was the top high school basketball program in the '60's, playing in 5 consecutive title games, winning 3 times. What a quality run!

New info (I did some more research):

Jerry Pyle - Scored 102 points in the '68 State Tournament. Still ranks in the top 5.

John Backhaus - Scored 46 points in a consolation game in the '66 State Tournament. Also ranks in the top 5 for single game scoring.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:31 pm

sort of a broad topic.... Although I am for certain the best HIGH SCHOOL basketball player from ND Class A or Class B never went any farther than just that.......WHY? because he or she never had an opportunity....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby jtschet » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Ron Schlieman Makoti, '64, scored 55 playing for NDSU vs. Elvin Hayes at Houston. He would have had over 60 if there had been a three point rule. He may be the best ever to play from N.D.
jtschet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Old Baller » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:08 am

Earlier I mentioned Don Blevins (Fort Yates, Dickinson State) as an outstanding player/athlete from the 60's. Here is some more information regarding him from the Dickinson State website. (I forgot about the Athlete of the Year award.)

Don Blevins Memorial Award

Background Information:
This scholarship was established by the Dickinson State College Basketball teammates of Don Blevins. Don was killed in a fatal automobile accident in California in 1972 while serving his country in the United States Marines.
Don grew up on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation and attended high school in Fort Yates, North Dakota. He was named 1964 North Dakota High School Athlete of the Year in his senior year and was considered one of the most versatile athletes of his era. In addition to competing and excelling in football, basketball and track in college and high school, he was also an outstanding rodeo contestant.
After graduation from college in 1969, Don coached at Salem, North Dakota, prior to entering the Marines.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Old Baller » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 pm

And here are more details regarding Don Blevins which I found in an article in a SOUTH DAKOTA newspaper:

A member of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Don was an outstanding athlete in football, basketball and track and in 1964 was named the North Dakota High School Male Athlete of the Year when he led the Warriors to the North Dakota State B basketball championship. In high school, Blevins was a member of two cross country state championship teams, they were runner-up the other year; helped two teams to the state track championship and two runner up finishes; helped his basketball team to the state championship in 1964 and third place in 1963 and to an undefeated season in football in 1963 and an overall record on the gridiron of 36 wins and four losses. Individually, Blevins averaged nearly four touchdowns a game when he was a senior, averaged 28.4 points a game in basketball and never lost an 880 yard run in track for three years. He won the state championship in the 880 in ‘62-‘64, the 440 in ’63 and ‘64, his mile relay team won the state title in ‘61-‘64 and the half mile relay in ‘62, and he set an 880 record that stood for 17 years.

Attending Dickinson State Teachers College, Don continued to excel as he lettered in football for three years, two years in basketball and was a three year letterman in track. After graduating from college, Don taught and coached at Solen High School on the Standing Rock Reservation, coaching Solen to their highest finish ever in basketball, losing in the Regionals to the eventual state champion. On the side, Blevins took up bronc riding and eventually enlisted in the United States Marine Corps. While stationed in San Diego, he was killed in an auto accident in 1972.
Old Baller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby point/center » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Doug McDermott
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 pm

point/center wrote:Doug McDermott

Yes...born in ND, but he played is HS ball in Iowa.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby theoldman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:54 am

Just want to throw this one out there. Cliff "Fido" Purpur.
theoldman
NDPreps Starter

Postby hockeynut » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 am

I have a feeling Carson Wentz will be one of the greats from our state when all is said and done.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby i_see_it_all » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:53 pm

This is so funny to me. Best players ever from North Dakota list and all the local basketball clowns are throwing out their local heroes who went on to play NAIA ball for south dakota tech of mines institute.

Give me a break. North Dakota basketball is awful. Its honestly a joke. Jeff Boschee is the best by a long shot and he didn't even sniff a pro contract. Jacobsen was good to, didn't sniff a pro contract. Phil actually played in the NBA so I guess he's most likely #1 for hoops. That's it. Nobody else.

ND Baseball has a plethora of guys who went on to play big time D1 and Major league baseball. Darin Erstad is probably the best athlete to come out of North Dakota and it's probably not even close. For those of you basketball heads who don't know him, google it.

Erstad, Travis Hafner, Rick Helling, Tim Olson, Chris Coste, Roger Maris, Cole Frenzel, Charlie Shirek, all professional baseball players. There are probably more than I am missing, and even more that were drafted, I just went off top of my head.

Football also has guys like Brooks Bollinger, Phil Hansen, Jimmy Kleinsasser who grew up in ND who played in the NFL. I'm sure there are more. ND has produced plenty of stud football players, unlike basketball.

So can you please put to rest your buddies like Travis Kraft, Joe Hansted, and Travis Sturdevant, or any ND basketball player for that matter. They are an insult to the list and they don't belong anywhere in the conversation. Sorry.
i_see_it_all
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Hey See it All,

Here's several for you:

1. Glenn Hansen - born in Devils Lake, sharpshooter for GF Central and LSU, drafted by Kansas City Kings
2. Les Jepsen - born and raised in Bowbells, college at Iowa, drafted by Warriors
3. Tyler Johnson - born in '92 in Grand Forks, high school in California, played at Fresno State, now with the Heat
4. Duane Klueh - born in 1926 in Bottineau, HS in Terre Haute Indiana, college at Indiana State, Celtics
5. Mark Lansberger - born in Minot, attended U of M, Laker for several years
6. Doug McDermott - born and lived in Grand Forks for several years, HS at Ames, IA, Creighton, Denver Nuggets
7. Matt Freije - born in Bismarck 1981, HS in Kansas, Vanderbilt U, Hornets and Hawks in NBA
8. Larry Bergh, born in Williston 1942, raised in Trenton, HS in Washington, Weber State, Pittsburgh Pipers of ABA
9. As you mentioned, throw in Phil Jackson, Williston grad
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Lumpy47 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:32 am

How about all around athlete. Lowell Linderman from New Rockford? Where would he rank?
Lumpy47
NDPreps Rookie

Postby hockeynut » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:11 pm

Lumpy47 wrote:How about all around athlete. Lowell Linderman from New Rockford? Where would he rank?

I've lived here since 71' and I have never heard of him. Erstad has to be at the top of all around athletes. Could of been a D1 hockey player and more than likely a D1 hurdler. Was a D1 football player and baseball player at Nebraska. Tough to top him.
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hockeynut » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:16 am

Wentz continues doing what he’s doing and it will be a no brainer
hockeynut
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nomogprhokee » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm

I'll ditto I See It All, 3/4s of a century later and half a dozen almost made to major college hoops, it's fun and warm, entertaining, but don't mortgage the farm on a college 1/2 or partial ride in College hoops. Better of using the gym for winter long toss. Much more college $ for baseball and a ton of spots for kids that can throw it. Option 2: move to grand forks and play hockey. More college and pro players out of GF in hockey over the past 10 years than the whole state has produced in hoops since 1883
nomogprhokee
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics