Best boys high school coach

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best boys high school coach

Postby sportsguruguy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:56 pm

My vote goes to Jerry Maier from Jamestown. Anybody elses opinions
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Re: Best boys high school coach

Postby baseball » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:05 pm

since this is under the legends im guessing its ever so im gonna go with Coach Eddie from Hillsboro.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Jack DeMain- Munich, was able to get everything out of everyone!!
milton-meteor

Postby Hinsa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Ed Beyer. He dominated Class B when there were still 200+ schools playing and the regions had 32 or so teams in them. Took teams to state in 4 decades - 60's, 70s, 80, 90s. No one had his teams better prepared to play.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby polaris » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Dan Carr - one of the best coaches of all time. Always had his teams prepared and got the most out of his athletes ~ and he had some darn good ones. 1984 & 1985 state champs!
polaris
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Steve Carnal - Former Oak Grove head coach (now assistant coach at Concordia College in Moorhead)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:19 pm

I know this is ever but as far as current caoches go, I would have to say Scott Medalen from Bishop Ryan is up there. He is an outstanding coach that always has a great gamplan. His teams usually have about 40 plays just in the half court against man! Bishop Ryan has been his only job coaching boys, before then he coached girls at DLB. Since he got to Ryan in the 04-05 season his team has been to regionals every year except for last. His first year there, they made it to the region championship and got beat in a close game by eventual state runner-up Bottineau. Bottineau barely lost to NR-S in the title game. His second year, they came back and beat Bottineau in the region championship. (Bottineau was even better than the year before.) In his third year, he lost 3 main scorers and some good role players and they weren't expected to be that good. They ended up winning the region with a team full of Juniors(although they hadn't seen much time because of the great seniors the year before). They finished 3rd with their loss coming to state runner-up Trinity. His fourth year they won the region again and finished 7th at state. They lost in the first round to eventual state runner-up TL-M by 2 or 3. They did lose the next morning to Four Winds but I question how much effort they had in that game. It was a year they were suppose to win state, and they lost in the first round (to a team with 1 loss but still suffered that disappointment), then they had to come back and try to play the next morning. In his fifth year, they lost out in the district tournament. They were a team full of sophmores.

In his tenure, they have graduated their whole team twice. The first time, they came back just as good. The second time they came back and didn't make regionals. I think the main difference is the first time, the new team was mostly all juniors. The second time, the new team was mostly sophmores. As you can see, this year when that team is juniors, they are back to a state tournament caliber team.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Indy5 wrote:I know this is ever but as far as current caoches go, I would have to say Scott Medalen from Bishop Ryan is up there. He is an outstanding coach that always has a great gamplan. His teams usually have about 40 plays just in the half court against man! Bishop Ryan has been his only job coaching boys, before then he coached girls at DLB. Since he got to Ryan in the 04-05 season his team has been to regionals every year except for last. His first year there, they made it to the region championship and got beat in a close game by eventual state runner-up Bottineau. Bottineau barely lost to NR-S is the title game. His second year, they cam back and beat Bottineau in the region championship. (Bottineau was even better than the year before.) In his third year, he lost 3 main scorers and some good role players and they weren't expected to be that good. They ended up winning the region with a team full of Juniors(although they hadn't seen much time because of the great seniors the year before). They finished 3rd with their loss coming to state runner-up Trinity. His fourth year they won the region again and finished 8th at state. They lost in the first round to eventual state runner-up TL-M by 2 or 3. They did lose the next morning to Four Winds but I question how much effort they had in that game. It was a year they were suppose to win state, and they lost in the first round (to a team with 1 loss but still suffered that disappointment), then they had to come back and try to play the next morning. In his fifth year, they lost out in the district tournament. They were a team full of sophmores.

In his tenure, they have graduated their whole team twice. The first time, they came back just as good. The second time they came back and didn't make regionals. I think the main difference is the first time, the new team was mostly all juniors. The second time, the new team was mostly sophmores. As you can see, this year when that team is juniors, they are back to a state tournament caliber team.

Just because you have 50 plays against half court man doesn't mean your a good coach haha. I'm not saying he's not a pretty good coach, I just dont think he's on the same level as some of these great coaches who have been doing it in pretty tough regions for a long time. As for the all time list I dont think he's in the top 20
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:29 pm

I didn't say he's in the top 20 yet. If you read the beginning, I stated he was one of the better active coaches. The 40 plays was just an example of what kind of a preparation freak he is. He always has a great gameplan and always puts his players in the right spots.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm

i'm sorry, I've watched him coach a few times, wasn't impressed. Just my opinion
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 pm

I guees that is your opinion. I will say though, he's a better practice coach than game coach. By that I mean running smooth, effcient, effective practices and having good gameplans. I've heard this from many people who have played for him.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Raider Fan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Hinsa wrote:Ed Beyer. He dominated Class B when there were still 200+ schools playing and the regions had 32 or so teams in them. Took teams to state in 4 decades - 60's, 70s, 80, 90s. No one had his teams better prepared to play.

Fosho :D
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”
--Michael Jordan
"Commitment to Excellence"
Al Davis
Raider Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 pm

How about Bob Hunsker from Newburg? He had a lot of very good teams in the late 70's and thru the 80's. I think when he retired he was only behind Beyer from Hillsboro for wins but I could be wrong about that.
His teams had some epic games against Carr's Linton teams in the 80's.
I would have a top 3 of Class B Boys coaches of 1. Beyer - Hillsboro 2. Hunsker - Newburg 3. Carr - Linton.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:13 am

Indy5 wrote: His teams usually have about 40 plays just in the half court against man!

This has nothing to do with preparedness or quality of coach.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby eastwood99 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 am

STEVE MILLER?
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:55 am

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote: His teams usually have about 40 plays just in the half court against man!

This has nothing to do with preparedness or quality of coach.

It was an example of how well prepared they are.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Raider Fan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:17 am

Well Gregg Grinsteinner is a great coach but I don't really want to start a whole arguement about the region 7 championship game again haha.
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”
--Michael Jordan
"Commitment to Excellence"
Al Davis
Raider Fan
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics