Best basketball families

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best basketball families

Postby Trust me I know » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Let's hear some opinions on the best basketball families to play in ND.
Trust me I know

Re: Best basketball families

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm

The Singers from T.L. Grant was an All-Stater this year, his brother Todd was the Region 5 player of the year last year, and thier oldest brother Jordan was a pretty good ball player is his own right. Thier dad Paul, played on the 1977 TLM team that also went to state. He averaged 22rpg and I think around 16ppg. Was on the Lions all-star team that year. Thier uncle (Pauls Brother), Daryl, was an all-district player for TLM and led the Trojans to 3rd place in regional in 79. They got beat by Berthold in the semi's who I believe ended up getting second in state. Daryl has some good boys playing right now. Trevor is the starting center for Shiloh-Christian and made the all region tourney team. The youngest son Aaron is a Fresh. and is also got alot of talent.

That a pretty good bball family.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby bradyg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 pm

There's no family that deserves the award other than the Schutt family from Milnor. They had four kids in the family; Hillary, Courtney, Chase and Ransom. Every kid ended up being named the District 1 player of the year and Ransom ended up being the Region 1 player of the year. Every kid also scored 1000 points. Hillary and Courtney both ended up with around 1200, Chase ended up a few shy of 2000, and Ransom ended up around 1600. Ransom, Courtney, and Hillary all won district championships while in school. Ransom and Hillary also both played on State tournament teams. If you want to talk girls basketball, I would go with the Mund family from Milnor. Three kids in the family- Lynette, Jolene, and Cindy. Lynette is arguably the greatest ND high school girls player. She is third all time in scored at around 2600 and 1st all time in rebounds at around 1200. She also went on the play a huge role for a couple of NDSU's national championship teams. Jolene and Cindy also both scored 1000 points. Cindy went to play at VCSU. Milnor went to state 5 times when those girls played.
bradyg

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Travis Kraft- played at South Carolina
Calvin Kraft- over 1000 points plays at vcsu
Barb Kraft(mom)- i think scored over 1000 at vcsu
Taylor Kraft( daughter)- freshman all district tis year
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby underdog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Tim Kraft (Travis's ect.. dad) was (probably still is) a very good ball player. And athlete for that matter. I beleive he played at Karlsruhe. Do not know any of his stats.
underdog
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:01 pm

underdog wrote:Tim Kraft (Travis's ect.. dad) was (probably still is) a very good ball player. And athlete for that matter. I beleive he played at Karlsruhe. Do not know any of his stats.

if i'm not mistaken i believe he played at VCSU as well
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:51 pm

The best family for Class B basketball is by far without a doubt the Gervings from Glen Ullin.

Doug Gerving(Mr. BB runner-up to Scott Guldseth) avg. 20pts/20 rebs a game.
Kevin Gerving(all state)
Mike Gerving(all-state)
Dean Gerving
Randall Gerving(played in state as a soph. started also)
I believe I am missing one for sure..can't remember exactly the first name since it was a little before my time.
bigpoppakdog

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm

don't know if this topic is just for boys ball?? But one family that truly could say were the best was the Waldahls at Beach from 86-90. I think it was actually 87-90. BIG controversy when they left Watford City over I think coaching issues(dad ended up coaching them at Beach. Beat Carrington in one state title game by 50 points. From what was said, they could have won state that year by 80 points(not an exaggeration either!!) Three straight tournament appearances..losing only 1 game in three years! I still believe the most dominant basketball team hands down were the Girls Beach Buccaneers in 1990. Averaged over 80 points! That's insane.

Kristi Waldahl
Jackie Waldahl
carey waldah

plus two more girls..don't know if they played ball though.
bigpoppakdog

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:21 pm

allot of good families through out the years, some of the ones that come to mind

Jordan,s- Hannah, Langdon
Lorenz's- Langdon, Mayville
Beck's-Linton
Short for Richard (wont post)-Munich
Herbal's-Alsen, Grafton
Brekke's-MN, Cavalier, EGF
Nelson's- Father, Son- Mayville
Kleinsasser's-Jim,Coleen-Carrington
Hochstadler's-wolford
Beck's-Munich
Verke's-Nekoma
Dvorack's-Minto (real Good)
Anderson-Craig and Matt-Cavalier
Trenbeth-Blake and Brady-Cavalier
Patinaud's-Parshall
Finley's-Val,Daughter,son
Allards
Keplins
milton-meteor

Postby bradyg » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:03 pm

If anyone can give me more than four siblings who all scored 1000 points, I'll admit that the Schutt's aren't as good.
bradyg

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm

bradyg wrote:If anyone can give me more than four siblings who all scored 1000 points, I'll admit that the Schutt's aren't as good.

nobody said they weren't good
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Trust me I know » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:14 pm

The Holens from LaMoure have to be in there. Jake is the schools leading score for boys with around 1800, Mr. Basketball finalist, All-american at Jamestown College with over 1600 points. The mother, Karen, is the leading scorer for girls at LaMoure. The father, Dennis, scored over 1000 and played at Valley City. Ben just went over 1000 this season. The oldest boy, Anthony, played for awhile at Jamestown College. I dont dont think he scored 1000 but I think he was pretty close. And the girls that played, I cant remember the oldest but one was Rachel, were all really good players. Plus there is three girls still in school. So when it is all said and done there could be alot of points in that family.
Trust me I know

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:34 pm

Trust me I know wrote:The Holens from LaMoure have to be in there. Jake is the schools leading score for boys with around 1800, Mr. Basketball finalist, All-american at Jamestown College with over 1600 points. The mother, Karen, is the leading scorer for girls at LaMoure. The father, Dennis, scored over 1000 and played at Valley City. Ben just went over 1000 this season. The oldest boy, Anthony, played for awhile at Jamestown College. I dont dont think he scored 1000 but I think he was pretty close. And the girls that played, I cant remember the oldest but one was Rachel, were all really good players. Plus there is three girls still in school. So when it is all said and done there could be alot of points in that family.

never seen them play but I heard the Harlows (drayton) were fairly Fierce!!
milton-meteor

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:34 pm

a few decent ones from my region that i know of

Sand - Mark, Mallory, Lindsey
Carr - Kyle, Dan (great coach so im assuming he could play in his day), and the 3 girls
Shockman - all of them from the LaMoure area
Wolff - Scott, Tanner, Mike
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm

Undlin - Dustin played at Northern, Mallory at Lake Region and VCSU, Dad Curt played college ball
Manson - Ross at NDSU, Bart at Minot State, Brian and Dad Gene at Minot High
Pankratz - Ross played at Northern, Kyle played at Minot State, the oldest brother played for the Jimmies
Zimmer - Mike and Molly from Kenmare both played at Minot State
Buhr - Brothers from Page and played at Minot State
Anderson - Bruce coached Minot High and had both a son and daughter that played for MHS
Fridley - Guy (DSU) and Fred (Mary) from Watford City. Father also coached football at Watford City
Pintar - Juno was a Mr Basketball at North and coaches Mary, son plays for Bismarck High
Aide - Kelsy and Abby from Bottineau. Father coaches track
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm

Trust me I know wrote:The Holens from LaMoure have to be in there. Jake is the schools leading score for boys with around 1800, Mr. Basketball finalist, All-american at Jamestown College with over 1600 points. The mother, Karen, is the leading scorer for girls at LaMoure. The father, Dennis, scored over 1000 and played at Valley City. Ben just went over 1000 this season. The oldest boy, Anthony, played for awhile at Jamestown College. I dont dont think he scored 1000 but I think he was pretty close. And the girls that played, I cant remember the oldest but one was Rachel, were all really good players. Plus there is three girls still in school. So when it is all said and done there could be alot of points in that family.

how many kids are there in that family? 6 or 7??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:43 pm

baseball wrote:

8. there is an older one, anthony, jake, rachel, ben, then a freshman, 2nd grader, and kindergartner.
Last edited by basketballer on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basketballer

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm

basketballer wrote:
baseball wrote:

o wow haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:48 pm

baseball wrote:
basketballer wrote:
baseball wrote:

o wow haha

Sounds like a feeder program for Jamestown College :!:
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballin4life » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:24 pm

one family that has been forgotten is the 3 bearstail brothers that played for mandaree and one of there youngest brothers was on all stater for shiloh two or 3 years ago i beliebe and there younger sister was on all stater this year for shiloh. i don't know what there stats are but i know the 3 brothers that played for mandaree could score 40 or 50 points on any given night.
ballin4life

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:37 pm

ballin4life wrote:one family that has been forgotten is the 3 bearstail brothers that played for mandaree and one of there youngest brothers was on all stater for shiloh two or 3 years ago i beliebe and there younger sister was on all stater this year for shiloh. i don't know what there stats are but i know the 3 brothers that played for mandaree could score 40 or 50 points on any given night.

we didnt forget them, how could we? there is just so many ballers in this state, and with only 600,000 people its just awsome that we all recognize!!

those boys could shoot!!
milton-meteor

Postby sports for life » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:49 pm

what the lindahl brothers from cando evan, johnathon, and grant
sports for life
NDPreps Starter

Postby bigpoppakdog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:22 pm

I will give the bearstails their due, although when you are allowed to shoot as much as they did you should have a lot of points. The boy at shiloh was VERY good. I think he was kept down somewhat because he was a sudden transfer to a BISMARCK school and was taking away thunder from the Bachmeiers(surprised we didn't hear about them so far). The girl was a stud also. Has a college body, big strong.

hey, I made all conference now. That hasn't happened since 1990 :D
bigpoppakdog

Postby Vicarious » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:37 pm

Don't forget the Haagensons from Leeds. Jason, Eric, Lori and Reid. Their dad, Lorin, was no slouch either.
Vicarious
NDPreps Reserve

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 pm

or the Kleins from McClusky, ND (good people) great compeditors, dont play their dad in Penochle or Ping Pong, Big Tony!!
milton-meteor

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics