Best State B Tournament Ever

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best State B Tournament Ever

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 am

What year does everything think was the best State B Tourney? Could have been the tourney with the most talented teams or the tourney with the greatest moment or even the tourney with the biggest upset.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Best State B Tournament Ever

Postby InTheKnow » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:18 pm

1995. It reads like a who's who of athletes.

Carrington- State Champ
Jim Kleinsaser (UND for football and basketball, Minnesota Vikings)

Grenora- Runner up
Hunter Berg- UND (could have gone big time! INCREDIBLE!)

MPCG
Chuck Klabo- NDSU Football (NFL free agent signing)
Dan Swift- Mayville State Baseball(2 time 1st team NAIA All-American, played 2 years in the Frontier League)
Matt Swift- Mayville State Basketball
Tom Jacobson- UND Basketball
Andrew Leclair- Kansas Football, NDSU Football (Started as a Freshman at Kansas, NFL Free Agent sining of the NO Saints)
Travis Kraft- South Carolina Basketball, NDSU Basketball (was only an 8th grader that year playing varsity)

Holiday
Doug Swenson- Creighton Basketball Center, 6'10"- (had a chance for the NBA... see link...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basket ... ete_scene/ ... http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 31736/pg_1

I know there are more to list but need some help on the rest.

3 NFL signees and one NBA signee.... and the player everyone was talking about through out the whole tournament because he looked like a man among buys as far as basketball skill was Hunter Berg... Physically Kleinsasser was a man among boys he dwarfed everyone including Klabo who was an offensive lineman. Not to bad for the State B.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 pm

95 is a very impressive list indeed.
I would still have to say 77 - Epping vs. Hillsboro - classic.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:30 pm

4 point play
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:24 pm

i agree with the 1995 tourney as the most talent loaded...BUT not taking anything away from doug swenson, those two articles you posted....only two NBA players were mentioned in either of them...and those two are Jeff Foster and Fransisco Elson...i don't think either of those have lived up to the hype...if doug would have had about 30-40 more pounds on his frame he could have made a big splash in the league...but sadly he didn't
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby dogfather » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Do you forget about the 07 parshall braves with the four point play and the packineaus leading parshall to the first title in 32 years
dogfather
NDPreps Rookie

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:32 am

dogfather wrote:Do you forget about the 07 parshall braves with the four point play and the packineaus leading parshall to the first title in 32 years

Personally the question was the best tournament and not the best title game. There have been several great title games with high drama at the end. But from a tournament as a whole standpoint 1995's talent was loaded.

One of the most exciting consolation round games I have ever seen was the 1996 tournament in Bismarck between Shilo and Glenburn for I think 5th and 6th. The final was 90 something to 90 something. 3 pointers everywhere!
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics