Page 2 of 3

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:20 pm
by gobison44
im a little surprised Mike Stowman's name hasnt been brought up

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:38 am
by busch3434
Stowman really didn't burst onto the scene until his senior year. Alot of the names mentioned like the Schutt's, Mauch and Kraft's were talked about from freshmen or sophomore on.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm
by BballFan1307
busch3434 wrote:Stowman really didn't burst onto the scene until his senior year. Alot of the names mentioned like the Schutt's, Mauch and Kraft's were talked about from freshmen or sophomore on.


i konw he was pretty good as a sophomore

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:41 pm
by busch3434
I'm not saying he wasn't....but I'm just saying you didn't hear much of him. Ransom Schutt and Calvin Kraft were averaging double digits in scoring as sophomores and juniors with 2 or 3 other pretty good players. Schutt did it as a freshman but Kraft did a good job in relief as a freshman as well.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm
by PA42
Stowman led the state in scoring as a junior if i'm correct

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm
by The Schwab
Stowman had more than just one good year....I would be willing to be that he averaged double figures for 3 years. And he had another pretty good player on that team.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:24 pm
by BballFan1307
The Schwab wrote:Stowman had more than just one good year....I would be willing to be that he averaged double figures for 3 years. And he had another pretty good player on that team.


Brian Pfau, was a Lions all star.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:47 am
by bradyg
Chase Schutt averaged close to 20 points per game as a freshman. Name another freshman in the Region who has ever done that??

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:07 am
by The Schwab
bradyg wrote:Chase Schutt averaged close to 20 points per game as a freshman. Name another freshman in the Region who has ever done that??


so how many career points did he have?

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:32 am
by bradyg
Chase scored a few shy of 2000 and Ransom scored around 1600. I'll tell you why Ransom is better than Stowman. When they were both seniors, Ransom averaged more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Stowman did. Ransom won four district championships while he was in high school, one region championship, and also was on a team that placed 2nd at state. He could have scored a lot more points earlier in his career, but gave it up a lot to other players. Name anything that Stowman achieved besides scoring some points?

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am
by BballFan1307
bradyg wrote:Chase scored a few shy of 2000 and Ransom scored around 1600. I'll tell you why Ransom is better than Stowman. When they were both seniors, Ransom averaged more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Stowman did. Ransom won four district championships while he was in high school, one region championship, and also was on a team that placed 2nd at state. He could have scored a lot more points earlier in his career, but gave it up a lot to other players. Name anything that Stowman achieved besides scoring some points?



he's playin college ball, gonna be a 3 year starter..

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:36 am
by The Schwab
bradyg wrote:Chase scored a few shy of 2000 and Ransom scored around 1600. I'll tell you why Ransom is better than Stowman. When they were both seniors, Ransom averaged more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Stowman did. Ransom won four district championships while he was in high school, one region championship, and also was on a team that placed 2nd at state. He could have scored a lot more points earlier in his career, but gave it up a lot to other players. Name anything that Stowman achieved besides scoring some points?


playing college basketball

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm
by busch3434
And I will tell you one thing....I played in a few tournaments with Ransom after his senior season and he said he had alot of offers but he just didn't want to play anymore. The kid is a gifted athlete but you can't say Stowman was better just because he's playing in college. Also, I believe Schutt dropped 46 or 47 points on the team that went to state his senior year, the record for most points scored in the Blikre Activities Center at NDSCS for a high schooler.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:11 pm
by The Schwab
busch3434 wrote:And I will tell you one thing....I played in a few tournaments with Ransom after his senior season and he said he had alot of offers but he just didn't want to play anymore. The kid is a gifted athlete but you can't say Stowman was better just because he's playing in college. Also, I believe Schutt dropped 46 or 47 points on the team that went to state his senior year, the record for most points scored in the Blikre Activities Center at NDSCS for a high schooler.


Stowman broke alot of Barnes County Tournament records when he was a senior. I'm not saying that stowman is better just because he plays college, I'm saying he's better because he's a better ball player

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:27 pm
by basketetballfreak23
I dont now about that i had watched the shutts play i mean they just werent good they were great.. look i guess it depends on opion

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm
by Johhnyping
I would take Jamie Mauch over any of them based on his physical tools. He is 6-5 and is quicker than Schutt,Kraft or Stowman. He jumps better, and has potential to be an even better collge player

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 pm
by busch3434
The Schwab wrote:
busch3434 wrote:And I will tell you one thing....I played in a few tournaments with Ransom after his senior season and he said he had alot of offers but he just didn't want to play anymore. The kid is a gifted athlete but you can't say Stowman was better just because he's playing in college. Also, I believe Schutt dropped 46 or 47 points on the team that went to state his senior year, the record for most points scored in the Blikre Activities Center at NDSCS for a high schooler.


Stowman broke alot of Barnes County Tournament records when he was a senior. I'm not saying that stowman is better just because he plays college, I'm saying he's better because he's a better ball player


The only time I will say he's better is if he had the ability to take a man both inside and out....he didn't. Schutt's had the ability to back a man down and take them outside for a three shot too.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 pm
by busch3434
Johhnyping wrote:I would take Jamie Mauch over any of them based on his physical tools. He is 6-5 and is quicker than Schutt,Kraft or Stowman. He jumps better, and has potential to be an even better collge player


I grew up not too far from Mauch...yeah he really does have the abilities to be a better college player. The biggest thing with him i think is adding muscle weight at a slow pace....not pile it on as quick as possible with his frame. He's tall and lanky and I hope the new coach at NDSCS gives the kid a chance.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 pm
by gobison#6
I agree with you guys Calvin Kraft from Central Cass was a great player and so was Jamie Mauch. Stowman was good but not as good as those two. Pfau was good for Maple Valley at the same time as Stowman. Kraft played a couple years with Brandon Smith who was also a very good player. Maybe not the greatest players from the region but definitely deserve consideration.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:48 am
by WalkingStick
Jamie Mauch, Chase Schutt & Ransom Schutt were great ballplayers to watch while growing up!

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:01 pm
by GoPack#2
i would have to say Calvin Kraft from Central Cass

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am
by scoobyx2
BballFan1307 wrote:brian buhr- page

Definitely one of the best offensive threats from Region 1 ever, and he played with a very strong team. It didn't matter who Page played in '86 and '87, the gyms were packed.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 am
by pwalsh55946
Brian Buhr was easily better than many of the other names mentioned as a HS'er. If you were at NDSSC in the mid-80's, you would never have forgotten it. Not only was he the most talented shooter, but he had "swagger" unmatched. Odegaard, Schutt, etc. were very good, but Buhr dominated that Region like no other in the past 25 years at least. The basketball in the mid-80's was wonderful. Not only did you have Page, but Oakes, Oak Grove (Mike Hanson may deserve a mention, as well...I think he only played there a year), but some others, as well.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:32 am
by ndakotasports94
I know he was only in the region for one year, and sorry but i dont' know the year exactly, but Oak Grove had a guy in 86, Mike Hanson, dont' have exact stats but about 20 pts 9 reb. per game, who went on to play at Valporaiso, so he may have been the best player, even if he only played one year in the region.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:39 am
by Run4Fun2009
ndakotasports94 wrote:I know he was only in the region for one year, and sorry but i dont' know the year exactly, but Oak Grove had a guy in 86, Mike Hanson, dont' have exact stats but about 20 pts 9 reb. per game, who went on to play at Valporaiso, so he may have been the best player, even if he only played one year in the region.


Mike Hanson played in 1986 for Oak Grove...some stats below:

Led his team to a 21-6 record and 7th place at State

Shot 62.2 % from the floor (Best in school history - 219/352)
scored 514 points in the season (2nd most in school history for a season)
-19 PPG
had 242 rebounds on the season
-9 RPG
had 78 blocks on the season (Most in school history for a season)
-2.9 BPG
Threw it down 36 times (Most in school history for a season/2nd in school history for a career)