Best ever Region 1 basketball player

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Best ever Region 1 basketball player

Postby PA42 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Stowman led the state in scoring as a junior if i'm correct
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Stowman had more than just one good year....I would be willing to be that he averaged double figures for 3 years. And he had another pretty good player on that team.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:Stowman had more than just one good year....I would be willing to be that he averaged double figures for 3 years. And he had another pretty good player on that team.

Brian Pfau, was a Lions all star.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bradyg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:47 am

Chase Schutt averaged close to 20 points per game as a freshman. Name another freshman in the Region who has ever done that??
bradyg

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:07 am

bradyg wrote:Chase Schutt averaged close to 20 points per game as a freshman. Name another freshman in the Region who has ever done that??

so how many career points did he have?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bradyg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:32 am

Chase scored a few shy of 2000 and Ransom scored around 1600. I'll tell you why Ransom is better than Stowman. When they were both seniors, Ransom averaged more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Stowman did. Ransom won four district championships while he was in high school, one region championship, and also was on a team that placed 2nd at state. He could have scored a lot more points earlier in his career, but gave it up a lot to other players. Name anything that Stowman achieved besides scoring some points?
bradyg

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am

bradyg wrote:Chase scored a few shy of 2000 and Ransom scored around 1600. I'll tell you why Ransom is better than Stowman. When they were both seniors, Ransom averaged more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Stowman did. Ransom won four district championships while he was in high school, one region championship, and also was on a team that placed 2nd at state. He could have scored a lot more points earlier in his career, but gave it up a lot to other players. Name anything that Stowman achieved besides scoring some points?

he's playin college ball, gonna be a 3 year starter..
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:36 am

bradyg wrote:Chase scored a few shy of 2000 and Ransom scored around 1600. I'll tell you why Ransom is better than Stowman. When they were both seniors, Ransom averaged more points, rebounds, assists, and steals than Stowman did. Ransom won four district championships while he was in high school, one region championship, and also was on a team that placed 2nd at state. He could have scored a lot more points earlier in his career, but gave it up a lot to other players. Name anything that Stowman achieved besides scoring some points?

playing college basketball
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby busch3434 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:20 pm

And I will tell you one thing....I played in a few tournaments with Ransom after his senior season and he said he had alot of offers but he just didn't want to play anymore. The kid is a gifted athlete but you can't say Stowman was better just because he's playing in college. Also, I believe Schutt dropped 46 or 47 points on the team that went to state his senior year, the record for most points scored in the Blikre Activities Center at NDSCS for a high schooler.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:11 pm

busch3434 wrote:And I will tell you one thing....I played in a few tournaments with Ransom after his senior season and he said he had alot of offers but he just didn't want to play anymore. The kid is a gifted athlete but you can't say Stowman was better just because he's playing in college. Also, I believe Schutt dropped 46 or 47 points on the team that went to state his senior year, the record for most points scored in the Blikre Activities Center at NDSCS for a high schooler.

Stowman broke alot of Barnes County Tournament records when he was a senior. I'm not saying that stowman is better just because he plays college, I'm saying he's better because he's a better ball player
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketetballfreak23 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:27 pm

I dont now about that i had watched the shutts play i mean they just werent good they were great.. look i guess it depends on opion
basketetballfreak23

Postby Johhnyping » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm

I would take Jamie Mauch over any of them based on his physical tools. He is 6-5 and is quicker than Schutt,Kraft or Stowman. He jumps better, and has potential to be an even better collge player
Johhnyping
NDPreps Starter

Postby busch3434 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:
busch3434 wrote:And I will tell you one thing....I played in a few tournaments with Ransom after his senior season and he said he had alot of offers but he just didn't want to play anymore. The kid is a gifted athlete but you can't say Stowman was better just because he's playing in college. Also, I believe Schutt dropped 46 or 47 points on the team that went to state his senior year, the record for most points scored in the Blikre Activities Center at NDSCS for a high schooler.

Stowman broke alot of Barnes County Tournament records when he was a senior. I'm not saying that stowman is better just because he plays college, I'm saying he's better because he's a better ball player

The only time I will say he's better is if he had the ability to take a man both inside and out....he didn't. Schutt's had the ability to back a man down and take them outside for a three shot too.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby busch3434 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Johhnyping wrote:I would take Jamie Mauch over any of them based on his physical tools. He is 6-5 and is quicker than Schutt,Kraft or Stowman. He jumps better, and has potential to be an even better collge player

I grew up not too far from Mauch...yeah he really does have the abilities to be a better college player. The biggest thing with him i think is adding muscle weight at a slow pace....not pile it on as quick as possible with his frame. He's tall and lanky and I hope the new coach at NDSCS gives the kid a chance.
busch3434
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:02 pm

I agree with you guys Calvin Kraft from Central Cass was a great player and so was Jamie Mauch. Stowman was good but not as good as those two. Pfau was good for Maple Valley at the same time as Stowman. Kraft played a couple years with Brandon Smith who was also a very good player. Maybe not the greatest players from the region but definitely deserve consideration.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue May 26, 2009 7:48 am

Jamie Mauch, Chase Schutt & Ransom Schutt were great ballplayers to watch while growing up!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GoPack#2 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:01 pm

i would have to say Calvin Kraft from Central Cass
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:27 am

BballFan1307 wrote:brian buhr- page

Definitely one of the best offensive threats from Region 1 ever, and he played with a very strong team. It didn't matter who Page played in '86 and '87, the gyms were packed.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pwalsh55946 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 am

Brian Buhr was easily better than many of the other names mentioned as a HS'er. If you were at NDSSC in the mid-80's, you would never have forgotten it. Not only was he the most talented shooter, but he had "swagger" unmatched. Odegaard, Schutt, etc. were very good, but Buhr dominated that Region like no other in the past 25 years at least. The basketball in the mid-80's was wonderful. Not only did you have Page, but Oakes, Oak Grove (Mike Hanson may deserve a mention, as well...I think he only played there a year), but some others, as well.
pwalsh55946
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndakotasports94 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:32 am

I know he was only in the region for one year, and sorry but i dont' know the year exactly, but Oak Grove had a guy in 86, Mike Hanson, dont' have exact stats but about 20 pts 9 reb. per game, who went on to play at Valporaiso, so he may have been the best player, even if he only played one year in the region.
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:39 am

ndakotasports94 wrote:I know he was only in the region for one year, and sorry but i dont' know the year exactly, but Oak Grove had a guy in 86, Mike Hanson, dont' have exact stats but about 20 pts 9 reb. per game, who went on to play at Valporaiso, so he may have been the best player, even if he only played one year in the region.

Mike Hanson played in 1986 for Oak Grove...some stats below:

Led his team to a 21-6 record and 7th place at State

Shot 62.2 % from the floor (Best in school history - 219/352)
scored 514 points in the season (2nd most in school history for a season)
-19 PPG
had 242 rebounds on the season
-9 RPG
had 78 blocks on the season (Most in school history for a season)
-2.9 BPG
Threw it down 36 times (Most in school history for a season/2nd in school history for a career)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:03 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ndakotasports94 wrote:I know he was only in the region for one year, and sorry but i dont' know the year exactly, but Oak Grove had a guy in 86, Mike Hanson, dont' have exact stats but about 20 pts 9 reb. per game, who went on to play at Valporaiso, so he may have been the best player, even if he only played one year in the region.

-19 PPG
-9 RPG
-2.9 BPG
Threw it down 36 times (Most in school history for a season/2nd in school history for a career)

Did Page go to State in '86 and Oak Grove went in '87?
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

-19 PPG
-9 RPG
-2.9 BPG

According to the all-time records on Oak Grove's website...1986 OG got 7th @ State, 1987 OG got 2nd in the Region (so maybe that's Page)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:13 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

-19 PPG
-9 RPG
-2.9 BPG

According to the all-time records on Oak Grove's website...1986 OG got 7th @ State, 1987 OG got 2nd in the Region (so maybe that's Page)

I could be easily be wrong...but I thought Page went to State with the the 2 Buhr brothers (Brent graduated in '86 (?) and Brian in '87) and finished 3rd. Maybe I am off a year...it was a while ago!
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 am

Page went in 87, I'm pretty sure Buhr is in the record books for the most points in 3 games (top 20) maybe?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics