Starting 5

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Starting 5

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:34 pm

all time class b starting 5
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Starting 5

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Alright Schwab, here it is.....been thinking about it for a while now and I have to break this up into pre-1990 (never saw play or too young to really remember) and post-1990 (remember well). Plus I think the game has changed a lot since then (especially after 1985 and the 3pt line introduced).

Pre-1990

Steve Blehm - ND alltime leading scorer (NDSD)
Todd Olson - Over 2000 career pts and 1000 career reb (Cavalier)
Scott Guldseth - Probably top class B player ever (Endiburg)
Jerry Pyle - stud way back when (Casselton)
Brian Buhr - amazing player (Page)

Post-1990

Marty MacDonald - Munich
Fred Fridley - Watford City
Jason Haagenson - Leeds
Hunter Berg - Grenora
Steve Holen - DLB

Considered Kraft, Lindahl, and Carr but I think class B basketball was at its best in the early-mid 90's and these were the top players of that time.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:55 pm

Leon Thielges should be the Pre-90's point guard and Craig Nelson Post-90's. Those two knew the game extremely well, pick apart defenses, and can shoot. I would take them on my team any day as my point.
basketballer

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Craig Nelson
Hunter Berg
Travis Kraft
Scott Guldseth
Marty MacDonald
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:15 pm

I didn't break my teams down based on positions. I just put the top 5 players together. That's who I'd want on the court if I was coaching. If you broke yours down by position, why is MacDonald at center??
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:17 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I didn't break my teams down based on positions. I just put the top 5 players together. That's who I'd want on the court if I was coaching. If you broke yours down by position, why is MacDonald at center??

didn't break them down by position.....that's just my 5
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby digger » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Complete agreement with Guldseth, Berg, Olson, etc. Guldseth and Berg were the two best Class B players I've seen play. Saw them both numerous times, not only great players they lit up the gym. I'm going to throw some older names out there for my all time 5, I never saw them, but I've talked to old timers who's opinion I respect.

Hunter Berg- (Grenora mid 90's/UND-Williston-UND) PG
Scott Guldseth-(Edinburgh mid 80's/LSU/UND) SG
Jerry Pyle-(Casselton late 60's/U of Minnesota) C
Ron Schlieman-(Makoti mid 60's/NDSU) F
Ron Waggoner-(Newtown mid 60's/NDSU) F

(Interesting note: Schlieman lit up "The Big E" Elvin Hayes and the U of Houston for 50 pts when Houston was one of the college powers in the country in '67 or '68. It would be like Lucas Moorman putting up 50 on North Carolina.) This leaves out Henry Milkey 6'2 guard for Minot Model high school in the early to mid 50's. I remember people talking about him in terms of the "legendary" Henry Milkey. Great topic.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:11 pm

The best starting five on one team had to be the starting five for MPCG in 1995.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:59 pm

cubsfan wrote:The best starting five on one team had to be the starting five for MPCG in 1995.

you must mean 96-97
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Good Topic Schwab.
My Five
Steve Blehm - One of most prolific scorers in HS history
Todd Olson - Best shooter I ever saw - HS - College - Pro - THE Best
Hunter Berg - Best guard ND has ever produced in Class B
Scott Guldseth - Most dominant player in modern Class B - best B player ever? Ain't too many better.
John Rygg - Unstoppable guard from Mayville in the 70's. Complete scoring machine.

This team would be able to average about 100 points a game - but with the exception of Guldseth and Rygg - they aren't the extreme athletic types like Butch Lince, Jim Kleinsasser, or the like were - but I think this is a pretty tough line-up.
I would agree with NDLionsfan - the late 80's and early 90's were a talent pool of great BB players in ND which we haven't seen since in Class B.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby cavalier14 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:44 pm

well lets see the all time class b startin five would have to be mack and the boys for the next 3 years when we take home 3 state championships....mack and the boys forever....GO TORNADOES
cavalier14

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Hopefully we won't be seeing any more stupid posts about "Mack and the boys."

Cavalier 14 is banned.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Hinsa wrote:Hopefully we won't be seeing any more stupid posts about "Mack and the boys."

Cavalier 14 is banned.

well he had a good run...
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InTheKnow » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:42 am

cavalier14 wrote:well lets see the all time class b startin five would have to be mack and the boys for the next 3 years when we take home 3 state championships....mack and the boys forever....GO TORNADOES

That might be the stupidist thing I have ever heard. We are all now dumber for having heard that. I award you no points. :lol: (couldn't resist the Billy Madison reference, it fit so well!)

Too bad he was probably 4 when MPCG had a team compiled of 2 future NFL players (all be it taxi squads, Chuck Klabo, Leclair), 3 NAIA basketball players (Matt Swift, Macekovich, Gersiewski), 2 Division II basketball players(Jacobson, Darren Klabo), 1 Division I basketball player (Kraft), and a player drafted in the MLB draft (Dan Swift). Thats 8 players from one team. I would say that Cavalier is no where close to that. Add in at the same state tournament in 95... Hunter Berg, Jim Kleinsauser, Doug Swenson (2 year starting center at Creighton which made the Elite 8 and was on some NBA Draft boards as the last pick that year). Kind of a star studed year I would say.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:21 am

The Schwab wrote:
cubsfan wrote:The best starting five on one team had to be the starting five for MPCG in 1995.

you must mean 96-97

I do mean 1995. That was there most talented team but got beat by Carrington (Jim Kleinsasser) in the Semi-finals.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 am

cubsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

you must mean 96-97

I do mean 1995. That was there most talented team but got beat by Carrington (Jim Kleinsasser) in the Semi-finals.

wouldnt that mean carrington has a better starting 5?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm

scc wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

you must mean 96-97

wouldnt that mean carrington has a better starting 5?

MPCG should have won that game. They were winning, and with about half the 4th quarter remaining, they started playing stall ball. It backfired. Teams that succeed by moving the ball should avoid stall ball.

well then how can you say they are the all time best starting five is a team that didnt even win state
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:21 pm

They were the most talented starting five in MPCG history. Talent does not always result in wins.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm

cubsfan wrote:They were the most talented starting five in MPCG history. Talent does not always result in wins.

I have to disagree. The 96-97 starting 5 was the most talented
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:31 pm

cubsfan wrote:They were the most talented starting five in MPCG history. Talent does not always result in wins.

he said they were the Best on one team. if you are going to be the best team in ones history how can it not be a team that wins state?
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Let me restate that they were the most talented team in MPCG history. Mr. Del Kessler, the head coach of MPCG during the time period they won their state titles, said that the 1995 team was the MOST talented team that he ever coached during his tenure their.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:48 pm

cubsfan wrote:Let me restate that they were the most talented team in MPCG history. Mr. Del Kessler, the head coach of MPCG during the time period they won their state titles, said that the 1995 team was the MOST talented team that he ever coached during his tenure their.

does that mean he's a bad coach? i mean , if thats the best talent on a starting five ever.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:Let me restate that they were the most talented team in MPCG history. Mr. Del Kessler, the head coach of MPCG during the time period they won their state titles, said that the 1995 team was the MOST talented team that he ever coached during his tenure their.

does that mean he's a bad coach? i mean , if thats the best talent on a starting five ever.

I wouldn't call him a bad coach...Kleinsasser had unbelieveable night in the semi-finals at the state tournament.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InTheKnow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:37 am

BballFan1307 wrote:

I think the key word there is TEAM. The thing that year was that Jacobson, Daren Klabo, and Leclair were all Sophmores. Matt Swift and Chuck Klabo were Freshman (not sure on Swift). And Kraft was only an 8th Grader. Throw in Dan Swift who also was a pretty good player as a Senior. I can see how he can say that was the most talented team. But when the majority of your contributing players are Sophomores and younger they shouldn't be expected to win state. Put both of those teams against each other with MPCG's Sophomores as Seniors and they would beat Carrington. Kind of interesting to think that 30% of the starters in that game signed NFL contracts.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics