Schools that have closed in North Dakota

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Re: Schools that have closed in North Dakota

Postby muledeer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 am

Just recently Hettinger and Scranton co-oped in all sports , .so no more Blackdevils and Miners , they are now known as the Nighthawks ....also another school that closed and I didn't see mentioned before was Marmarth,.. a small town in the very sw corner of the state , just west of Rhame and Bowman ...they closed in the 60's ,....they had some good baseball and football teams ,..... Marmarth Longhorns
Richarton ,also had Assumption Abbey in the 60's/70's as well , don't know their mascot.
Last edited by muledeer on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm

But the schools of Hettinger and Scranton didn't close, they still operate seperate schools
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby muledeer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I measured the Rhame gym today, it is still used for practice by the Bowman/Rhame co-op J.H. teams,as well as P.E. for the current 36 Rhame K-6th graders. The floor surface ....( originaly wood,then tile covered, and now having plastic interlocking pieces) measures 40' wide from the South wall ,to the bleachers on the North , by 69'4" long , East end wall to West end wall .....(one is unable to shoot three pointers from the sides), and there is only about 10 inches of out of bounds area on each sideline and ends of court... ( just a bit more than enough to put one's feet if you turn them ),.... a little more on the bleacher side -13". Inculding the bleachers on the North side,the width of the building comes in at 51' .It has good ceiling height, it's floor is about 5 feet below the ground surface ( thus nicknamed the Pirates Pit) . It was built in 1939 and was then the biggest gym in Bowman county , until Bowman built a larger one in 1949, (now used as a rec center today). Nice little gym :)
muledeer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndcharlie37 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:51 pm

These, I believe are all closed. My old HS, (Mercer, Bison), used to play these Class C schools back in the 50's

Denhoff
Heaton
Hurdsfield Stags
Coleharbor Redbirds
Regan
Cathay
Wing Wizards
ndcharlie37
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDhockey18 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:21 am

I know this is an old subject but yesterday the Sherwood school closed, now the students will go to Mohall. Pretty sure they were the Sherwood Wildcats
You can catch flies with honey, but you catch more hunnies being fly.
NDhockey18
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jveigel » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Richardton Abbey closed in the 60's, St.Mary's New England is a ND Women's Prison.
jveigel
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics